NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

Yeah I'm still deciding on an upper. I'm going to built it in January I think. I'm going to get a whatever brand lower I don't care... with a Daniel defense lpk I'm thinking. For the upper I don't know if I want a 14.5 or 16. I don't really want the pinned flash hider. I'm honestly thinking about palmetto. I've heard good things and fn makes their barrels. I don't want all the cool guy ar stuff I'm just going with magpul Moe and maybe a Bushnell red dot.

Thanks dropten. I was really going to try my hands at VA. Cuz I know their laws are less strict. I'll settle for 20 though.

Originally Posted by MPLSdunk

Yeah I'm still deciding on an upper. I'm going to built it in January I think. I'm going to get a whatever brand lower I don't care... with a Daniel defense lpk I'm thinking. For the upper I don't know if I want a 14.5 or 16. I don't really want the pinned flash hider. I'm honestly thinking about palmetto. I've heard good things and fn makes their barrels. I don't want all the cool guy ar stuff I'm just going with magpul Moe and maybe a Bushnell red dot.

What do you plan on doing with your rifle? Is it just for the range or home defense as well? The Magpul MOE handguard is a nice drop in replacement, but if it's going to be for home defense I'd get a free float quadrail. Look into the Vortex Sparc RDS. It looks pretty reliable and holds its zero and priced at about $200.

For under $600 you can get the Aimpoint T-1 with a qd lower 1/3 mount at https://www.primaryarms.com/Aimpoint_Micro_T_1_with_LRP_Mount_Spacer_13320_p/13320.htm?Click=3586

That Aimpoint also comes with a 10 year warranty and has a 50,000 hour battery life. Check out the video below. It's actually why I bought my DDM4 and H-1 RDS

I just planned on taking it out shooting. I told my mom she could hold it down though whenever I build it and I'm not using it. So that rail might not be a bad idea so she's got a light on it.

Article on .223 Remington ammo and 5.56 Nato for us inexperienced rifle enthusiasts.  Courtesy of ar15armory.com
There always seems to be a lot of confusion over the difference between a .223 and a 5.56 chamber. Is it safe to shoot this? Is it safe to do that? More confusion is added when some manufacturers advertise rifles with .223/5.56 chambers. I found this 'excellent' explaination on Wikipedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/.223_Remington) and wanted to share it on this forum.

The .223 Remington is a sporting cartridge with the same external dimensions as the 5.56x45mm NATO military cartridge. It is loaded with a .224" diameter, jacketed bullet, with weights ranging from 40 up to 90 grains, though the most common loadings by far are 55 grains.

The primary difference between .223 Remington and 5.56 x 45 mm is that .223 is loaded to lower pressures and velocities compared to 5.56 mm. .223 Remington ammunition can be safely fired in a 5.56 mm chambered gun, but the reverse can be an unsafe combination. The additional pressure created by 5.56 mm ammo will frequently cause over-pressure problems such as difficult extraction, flowing brass, or popped primers, but in extreme cases, could damage or destroy the rifle. Chambers cut to .223 Remington specifications have a shorter leade (throat) area as well as slightly shorter headspace dimensions compared to 5.56 mm "military" chamber specs, which contributes to the pressure issues.

While the 5.56 mm and .223 cartridges are very similar, they are not identical. Military cases are made from thicker brass than commercial cases, which reduces the powder capacity (an important consideration for handloaders), and the NATO specification allows a higher chamber pressure. Test barrels made for 5.56mm NATO measure chamber pressure at the case mouth, as opposed to the SAAMI location. This difference accounts for upwards of 20,000+ psi difference in pressure measurements. That means that advertised pressure of 58,000 psi for 5.56mm NATO, is around 78,000 psi tested in .223 Rem test barrels (SAAMI .223 Rem Proof MAP is 78,500 psi so every 5.56mm round fired is a proof load, very dangerous). The 5.56 mm chambering, known as a NATO or mil-spec chambers, have a longer leade, which is the distance between the mouth of the cartridge and the point at which the rifling engages the bullet. The .223 chambering, known as the "SAAMI chamber", is allowed to have a shorter leade, and is only required to be proof tested to the lower SAAMI chamber pressure. To address these issues, various proprietary chambers exist, such as the Wylde chamber[2] or the Armalite chamber, which are designed to handle both 5.56 mm and .223 equally well.

Using commercial .223 cartridges in a 5.56-chambered rifle should work reliably, but generally will not be as accurate as when fired from a .223-chambered gun due to the excessive leade. [3] Using 5.56 mil-spec cartridges (such as the M855) in a .223-chambered rifle can lead to excessive wear and stress on the rifle and even be unsafe, and the SAAMI recommends against the practice.[4] Some commercial rifles marked as ".223 Remington" are in fact suited for 5.56 mm, such as many commercial AR-15 variants and the Ruger Mini-14, but the manufacturer should always be consulted to verify that this is acceptable before attempting it, and signs of excessive pressure (such as flattening or gas staining of the primers) should be looked for in the initial testing with 5.56 mm ammunition. 

I just planned on taking it out shooting. I told my mom she could hold it down though whenever I build it and I'm not using it. So that rail might not be a bad idea so she's got a light on it.

The MOE handguard would probably be fine for you. It has the slots on it so you can attach the necessary rails and save more weight. Plus you'll save a couple hundred dollars. The advantages of a free float quadrail is improved accuracy and better heat dissipation but I don't think its necessary for your purpose.

HARM
Take a look here and make sure the rifle you want falls within the chart. I had something longer typed up but it got erased
indifferent.gif
But just make sure the barrel is CHF and chrome lined, both barrel and BCG are MP and HP tested and the gas key is properly staked. The barrel should also have a 1:7 twist rate too.
http://www.bravocompanymfg.com/

Originally Posted by ayejreeun

Anyways I'm still waiting til I'm 21 so I can get my first Handgun and I've been looking at some 9mm Glocks, mainly the G19.  What's are some of your thoughts or recommendations NT?  I want something for home defense as well as a gun I can take to the range.
I was looking at the Glock 19 for my first gun as well, but ultimately went with the Springfield Armory XD 9mm. I loved the way the Glock felt in the hands, but the other features of the Springfield convinced me and it felt very comfortable as well. The grip safety and the chamber indicator were a couple features I really preferred that weren't on the Glock. You really can't go wrong with either, but with the XD and XD-M, they both offer more than the Glock for me.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Anyways I'm still waiting til I'm 21 so I can get my first Handgun and I've been looking at some 9mm Glocks, mainly the G19.  What's are some of your thoughts or recommendations NT?  I want something for home defense as well as a gun I can take to the range.
I was looking at the Glock 19 for my first gun as well, but ultimately went with the Springfield Armory XD 9mm. I loved the way the Glock felt in the hands, but the other features of the Springfield convinced me and it felt very comfortable as well. The grip safety and the chamber indicator were a couple features I really preferred that weren't on the Glock. You really can't go wrong with either, but with the XD and XD-M, they both offer more than the Glock for me.
One other gun 9mm handgun i'd tell you to take a look at is an FNP 9mm and a M&P 9mm both guns are very solid. I own a Glock 17 which is a full sized Glock 19 and I love it. 5 pound consistent trigger pull and extremely durable. But i'm planning on doing a trigger job on it soon.

happy.gif
Thanks for the input bro.  I still have like 2 months before I can run any paperwork, so I have plenty of time to decide.  Plus I can freely hold, and aim down the sights any gun at work which will help in the process.  

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

The MOE handguard would probably be fine for you. It has the slots on it so you can attach the necessary rails and save more weight. Plus you'll save a couple hundred dollars. The advantages of a free float quadrail is improved accuracy and better heat dissipation but I don't think its necessary for your purpose.

HARM
Take a look here and make sure the rifle you want falls within the chart. I had something longer typed up but it got erased
indifferent.gif
But just make sure the barrel is CHF and chrome lined, both barrel and BCG are MP and HP tested and the gas key is properly staked. The barrel should also have a 1:7 twist rate too.
http://www.bravocom<br /> panymfg.com/

Good lookin out man ..

Studying this $%+* now ..
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by HARM

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

HARM
indifferent.gif
http://www.bravocom<br /> panymfg.com/

Good lookin out man ..

Studying this $%+* now ..
laugh.gif
A CHF barrel is nice to have but not a necessity. It does add a bit of durability to the barrel but it all depends what you want to do with your rifle. If you plan on shooting it at distance, the CHF might be worth the extra money but at combat range (0-500m) your better off spending the money you saved on ammo. It may seem like a lot of money now to spend now but by once cry once. After I saw the light spent the extra money and bought a BCM 14.5 prem attached M4 profile and bought the IonBond BCG from BCM too.

The chart that Frank posted is a good place to start. If you can find a BCM, Colt, DD, LMT, or Noveske just buy the cheapest one because they are all pretty much equal. I picked those ones specifically because of the QC and warranty of each of these brands. I didn't include Spikes because I'm not the biggest fan of their owner but it's no doubt at all that they put out a quality rifle.

Well for me I want to build my rifle into a M4A1 SOPMOD Block II clone. They look
pimp.gif

Also if any is looking into buying a Kydex holster now and at a good price DSG Arms just recently started producing them and for a lot of models they are available now. I can't say the same for other companies. Here's a link for anyone interested DSG Arms Holsters.

They're running some damn good deal over @ PSA
$79 for a stripped lower, 379 for a complete upper (w/bolt carrier group)

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]
[/font]

[font=Calibri, sans-serif]I think im going to hop on that next week if its still running. Was going to get an upper from model 1 sales, i'm really just trying to get a complete rifle for under $750. 
[/font]

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

One other gun 9mm handgun i'd tell you to take a look at is an FNP 9mm and a M&P 9mm both guns are very solid. I own a Glock 17 which is a full sized Glock 19 and I love it. 5 pound consistent trigger pull and extremely durable. But i'm planning on doing a trigger job on it soon.
My man 
smokin.gif

If i was going to get a striker fired double action pistol, it would be M&P 9mm; and cosign on the FNP 9, i have 2, both shoot great, no fialures of any kind after 1000 rounds combined, they can usually be had for under 450, and since theyre no longer in production, clips (
tongue.gif
) are only around 20 apiece. and they come with 3 in the box when you buy. 

Question: My uncle from Sacramento ca. owns a Beretta .40 he wants to give it to me. but i lived in Oregon.. Is this possible?

THANKS!

Anyone looking at Eotech HWS should check out primaryarms.com

They have the XPS2 for $479 and the EXPS is $599 and each include their own flip to side 3x magnifier. Although it isn't the Eotech brand magnifier, it's a much cheaper solution for those on a budget.

What's the degree of difficulty in building a AR?

I understand that the lower receiver is the only serial # part ..

Does that have to go thru a background check? I know you have to get it shipped thru an FFL

Buy if you buy it from a private seller no check is needed ..

I think I wanna take the build route ..

i don't know because i haven't built mine yet.  it looks pretty easy. and yeah the lower receiver has to go through the ffl if it's shipped. since that's considered the "gun".

Does that have to go thru a background check? I know you have to get it shipped thru an FFL

I pieced my lower together and helped a friend of mine piece his together but it's easy enough. I warn you though there are lots of little pieces and springs so if you're not careful the spring can launch them and you may lose some parts. So make sure you're careful. Also invest in some punch pins if you don't have any already, it will make things a lot easier. As for the upper I recommend just purchasing a complete upper as it will be a lot easier and is more difficult. Here is the link I used to build mine. www.ar15.com/forums/t_3_4/226782_As...__GAS_BLOCK___Step_by_step_instructions_.htmlStep by Step Guide.

And you are correct that if you purchase from a private seller there is no background check.

Good luck.

From what i understand, the lower isn't too hard to DIY, but the upper is much more difficult and you'll need a special tool to remove the handguard and equipment  to put the barrel on.
you will have to go through a background check for the lower, but not for the upper. Your best bet would be to try to find the lower local and order an upper from the web, unless you can find a really good deal locally. 

I know in VA, there is no background check requirement when purchasing from a private seller.

I know theres a couple of cats in this thread that built their own, im sure they will chime in.

@ARGuy .. that link is to the front of this thread bro lol , I'm def will be getting the punch set .. I'm just shopping around now .. I really don't where to bgein , like in what order .. did you start lower receiver 1st?

@Richiecotite .. yea VA gun laws are def better than MD .. but luckily I got a bunch of homies in VA .. getting a lower receiver through the private route won't be an issue ..

Oops,
laugh.gif

It's fixed now. If you need any help with the AR just let me know, I'll gladly help.

Back
Top Bottom