NT's LEGAL Gun Thread UPDATE...First Youtube Firearm Review Page 61

got something in the works...should have completed pics in a month or so
grin.gif

I bought a Lee turret progressive press, but i haven't started reloading yet (we're moving in couple of weeks and i'd rather wait to set everything up in the new condo), but i have started to read up on it. Good begginer book im reading called the reloader's handbook, i think it's around the 14th edition. Anyway, the author's writing style might be a tad blah, but it gives a good idea about where to sttart.

Luckily, the press is the most expensive component, and you already have that. Next, i would buy/download a load data sheet/book and begin there. Not sure if your RELOADING or HANDLOADING (apparently, there is a difference), but if your reusing brass, you're going to need a tumbler or use a special cleaning liquid. As for dies, pay the etra for carbide dies; if you get steel, your going to have to lube the case before you reload it, so thats an extra cost that can be eliminated by using carbide dies.

Sorry i can't be more help, but once i do start reloading i'll definitely be posting more about it, as this is something that seems like a natural step for anyone interested in shooting.

Getting everything together for my 1st AR build. Was going to go the budget route (under 700-750) but i decided i would put this one together with some better parts. In the pic below:

Bravo Company Manufacturing BCG
BCM Gunfighter (mod 3 latch) charging handle
BCM milspec carbine buffer tube
Daniel Defense lower parts kit
C Products aluminum 30 rd mags
Magpul enhanced mag followers (yellow)
9i487o.jpg

Practicing my painting skills on a mag, quick 10 minute, no patience to let the damn thing dry job. Will definitely need to work on this before i start painting the carbine. Front looks ok, but i got a little sloppy on the other side.

10ctggm.jpg

A little more info on my build.

Daniel Defense 14.5 inch upper w/A2 flash hider (barrell is cold hammer forged, chrome lined, 1:7 twist, will add troy TRX rails in a few weeks). Upper is supposed to ship today.
Palmetto State lower (w/DD lpk, BCM buffer tube). Got 2 lowers from PSA's stripped lower sale, their supposed to ship out January 15.

debating what sort of rear iron sight to get; i keep hearing the troy mentioned but i kind of like the matech

also, debating what sort of stock to get. keep going between the LMT SOPMOD stock and the VLTOR EMOD. Strongl leaning toward the Vltor since it's 88 bucks on cheaper than dirt and i have a $100 gift card.

How do you guys feel about purchasing used firearms? What's your experiences with used guns? A co-worker of mine is trying to sell his Rock River Arms AR-15.. He's offering it @ a fair price.. We're taking it out to the range this week so i can test it out, but I've never bought a used gun before so I'm a little "iffy" about it

Nothing wrong w/ a used firearm if it was taken care of. It's the same way w/ everything used. If he offers a decent price, go for it if u like how it shoots.

Hey Rich, since u didn't go the "budget" route for ur build, how much was ur final balance if u don't mind me asking. And will u be feeding .223 or 5.56?

Originally Posted by richiecotite

also, debating what sort of stock to get. keep going between the LMT SOPMOD stock and the VLTOR EMOD. Strongl leaning toward the Vltor since it's 88 bucks on cheaper than dirt and i have a $100 gift card.
Look up B5 SOPMOD stocks. They're the same as the LMT sans the LMT logo and they should be around $99-120.

Originally Posted by anabolic dunk

How do you guys feel about purchasing used firearms? What's your experiences with used guns? A co-worker of mine is trying to sell his Rock River Arms AR-15.. He's offering it @ a fair price.. We're taking it out to the range this week so i can test it out, but I've never bought a used gun before so I'm a little "iffy" about it

out of the 8 firearms i've purchased, 5 were used. my experience with used guns have been excellent, never had a problem with any of them. Plus with a new gun, theres a break in period, usually 300-500 rounds. If you take care it, a gun will outlast your grandchildren. From what i've heard and read, RRA is good to go. Just check it over, make sure theres no rusting, visually inspect the barrel to insure the rifling good. Only thing i would recommend is make sure you get a flattop instead of a carry handle, you'll have a lot more options with it down road when it comes to sights and optics.  

edit* how much is your co worker going to sell it to you for?

Dath- haaven't figured out the finally tally since things might change, plus i got 2 $100 gift cards, but the upper was 400, BCG and charging handle were 210, buffer spring and tube were 40, lower is/will be 80, lpk 90, vltor stock 120, so right now im for 940 (740 out of pocket) once i add the rails, sights low pro gas block, im sure thatll be another 350 or so.

Probably be shooting mostly .223. i've been saving my brass, so what i'd love to do is handload mk262 or another quality load like TAP.

I probably could have saved 100 bucks or so buying strictly off the internet, but when i can, i try to support my local gun shop. The guys at Virginia Arms Co in Manassas, VA are top notch; store has a great selection of AR parts and accessories, firearms, NFA items, ammo.

Also, if anyone is in the VA, check out quantico tactical supply. Since they're an actual outlet (no FFL, unfrotunately), they get tons of stuff for cheap, mostly magpul items, but they all sorts of accessories, clothing and mags. Plus they have 15% off the entire store. Surefire 60 round mags end up being about 108 with tax

Originally Posted by Frank Mucus

Look up B5 SOPMOD stocks. They're the same as the LMT sans the LMT logo and they should be around $99-120.

yeah, i read about B5 theyre korean made but supposed to be the same quality. I went with the Vltor because 1) it's much more tacticool(
laugh.gif
) and 2) i came out of pocket 20 bucks for it. Also, it's hella hard to find the B5's in that price range (a brand new one, at least), and i personally think 200 US dollars for a piece of molded plastic is ri-goddamn-diculous

Alright gun folks, never "legally" owned a gun, but operated plenty in my youth.

I'm looking to get a 9MM, mainly for home defense and #%%$@@! around at the range.  Any recommendations, on top of that, how hard is it to legally obtain one.

Not that it's hard to figure out but I'm from Ca.

Iron Man, how much money are you looking to spend? All sorts of different options when it comes to 9mm. Most will tell you glock, springfield, s&w for good reason. If you wanna spend a little more, take a look at HK and Sig.

Personally, if i were a cali resident, i'd look at a bigger caliber (california still prohibits magazines that hold more than 10, correct?) like a .45; hell even something like a taurus judge might be ideal for your purposes.

richiecotite, hes selling it for $2k. Retail for the AR alone was $1850 but with all the mods done to it (surefire forend alone retails @ $600+) hes put about $3k into it. Shot it @ the range and it was a beauty! I was consistantly hitting target the size of a coke can from 500 yds out

Also finally decided to pick up the Remington 870p MAX. I had a hard time justifying $1,000 for a pump shotgun but figured what the heck!

if you like it, go with it, but personally, for that price, i'd get a nice mk12 clone and optic.

What upgrades/accessories does it come with?

If your looking at the 870p max, take a look at the wilsons tactical version. or you could go the autoloader route and rock with an FN SLP (thats what im on right now)

$2k
eek.gif

You could cop a Scar 16S for a few more bills. You could also go with a Noveske or a Colt 6940, BCM, DDM4V1/2/3/4/5/etc and still get a RDS/HWS and a light + some ammo.

Just a little FYI too, I was also considering a Stag AR until AR Guy pointed me in the right direction supplemented with further research on these brands I realized I was looking at garbage. Whatever you do it's your decision, but I would never drop that much money on a RRA or lowered tier AR.

Been a long time fan of the G19 as haven shot it on many occasions
at the range, but after talkin to a co-worker yesterday & doing some
research I'm starting to consider getting an XDm compact, either 9mm
or .45. Just gotta see if I can find any to shoot.

Iron Man, how much money are you looking to spend? All sorts of different options when it comes to 9mm. Most will tell you glock, springfield, s&w for good reason. If you wanna spend a little more, take a look at HK and Sig.

Personally, if i were a cali resident, i'd look at a bigger caliber (california still prohibits magazines that hold more than 10, correct?) like a .45; hell even something like a taurus judge might be ideal for your purposes.
Money really not an issue, no problem dropping $500-800 on  decent 9mm.  Just want to know where deals can be found (No trunk deals,
laugh.gif
).

I'll look into bigger caliber, but for now, I'm good with a 9mm.  Any decent websites with legit deals.

stupid yuku.

Can I get some help with a new purchase. I would like to buy a new gun for home protection.

I'm interested in these option:
-glock type
-sub compact
-best safety
-.40 or 9mm
-$400-500 range.

Thanks in advance.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Money really not an issue, no problem dropping $500-800 on  decent 9mm.  Just want to know where deals can be found (No trunk deals,
laugh.gif
).

I'll look into bigger caliber, but for now, I'm good with a 9mm.  Any decent websites with legit deals.
that price range, you have a whole lot of options. Figure out if you want a striker fire pistol (glock, xd, m&p) or one with a hammer (fnp 9, hk, sig, cz 75). Personally, i prefer a pistol with a hammer, mostly because im scared of carrying a gun with 1 in the pipe and no manual safety. 

The next pistol i plan on getting is another FNP-9 (currently have 2), it's still one of the best deals out there. In your situation, i'd get either a hk usp or smith and wesson m&p (if you rock with the M&P, get the 40 cal, and spend the extra 200 on a 9mm barrel and mags, 2 guns in 1). if i had to choose 1, i'd go with the m&p, strictly because of price (hk mags can run around 40-50 apiece, compared to 30 for the smithy)

as far as the best deals; cdnn has brand new m&p's with stainless slide for 419 or 429, theres gunbroker (it'll be harder for you as many sellers don't like to sell to california residents because of the draconian %@#!+*!% gun laws)

Originally Posted by DaBottom305

stupid yuku.

Can I get some help with a new purchase. I would like to buy a new gun for home protection.

I'm interested in these option:
-glock type
-sub compact
-best safety
-.40 or 9mm
-$400-500 range.

Thanks in advance.
just get a shotty if you don't plan on carrying.  you wont miss and you won't go through walls and hit neighbors.

Back
Top Bottom