NT's Privacy Policy Discussion Thread

did anyone read thru it?

i thought this thread could be for questions concerns etc?

maybe mods could chime in too

maybe it could get a sticky?

the eu's new rules?

thoughts?

I read through it and it's just going to gather your data, but not like personal data like that... unless you fill in certain things in the profile page.

It will gather info about you such as... ip address, type of device your're using, username, data you enter onto the site like what you post I'm assuming.

tenor.gif

I read through it and it's just going to gather your data, but not like personal data like that... unless you fill in certain things in the profile page.

It will gather info about you such as... ip address, type of device your're using, username, data you enter onto the site like what you post I'm assuming.
I think they did that previously though

I mean I trust Meth and all, but I would be lying if I wasn't a little iffy on clicking "I agree".

Whatever the issues I know some how that @bigj505 is behind it somehow.

I think they did that previously though

Oh I didn't know... also I remember a part about gathering data from your cookies on the web browser you're using.

The stuff Meth and them will find out about some or you guys from your browsing history... :smh: I can't even imagine the crazy stuff you guys view outside of this site.

Yup. Its nothing new, but now being more transparent about it.
:smh:
What happened to doing what’s best for the community
I mean I’m sure if given the option
Folks would donate to a membership
For the site
If their info was kept private
and not sold to the highest bidder
I mean if they really needed money to keep the site running
At least give us the option
Always talking about doing what’s best for the members
Believe the majority wouldn’t think
Selling out data
Is best for US

You may have noticed that many of the sites you visit have been sending out updates to their privacy policies. That's not a coincidence: the GDPR goes into effect tomorrow.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-the-gdpr-means-for-facebook-the-eu-and-you/

Among the changes websites must make if they wish to be compliant with the GDPR, sites must require all users to opt in to their policy rather than imply acceptance through means like "by your continued use of this site or service, you agree that..."

The terms themselves haven't been changed much, it's just that we need everyone to manually accept those terms in accordance with the new EU law.

Though most of our users live in North America, and there's some legal debate over whether websites like ours, which are username based and do not request a person's actual name or mailing address, are even subject to the GDPR, we wanted to be fully compliant with the new law - and the team worked very late last night updating our website to make that possible. If you were online at around midnight PST last night, you may have noticed a banner notification about an update and the occasional glitch here or there, but the update was performed while the site remained online. The update included a variety of software changes to ensure GDPR compliance - most of which benefit all users, like a simple, one click "unsubscribe" function for all email notifications. (We also switched to a new, premium third party email delivery service to help resolve a few issues with email delivery, primarily experienced by users who registered using an email address from ancient providers like AOL or Yahoo.)

I know that legal policies can sometimes be cryptic, so I'm happy to answer any specific questions anyone has about our policies.

Oh I didn't know... also I remember a part about gathering data from your cookies on the web browser you're using.

The stuff Meth and them will find out about some or you guys from your browsing history... :smh: I can't even imagine the crazy stuff you guys view outside of this site.
Cookies are used by advertisers, like Google, and those can track browsing history, etc. This article offers more information: https://globalnews.ca/news/4110311/how-to-stop-targeted-ads-facebook-google-browser/

NikeTalk's cookies aren't used to track your browsing history, but to store your settings, etc.

To be clear: no matter what your settings, neither I nor anyone else on our staff can access your browsing history. That portion of the policy pertains to the advertiser cookies and things like Google Analytics.

We don't have access to your name - unless you enter that as your username, and, if you do, all users can perform a one time username change here: https://niketalk.com/account/change-username
We don't have access to your address. We do have access to your IP information, which can provide us with information about your ISP and, where available, basic information about the device you're using to access the site. We typically use device information to help us troubleshoot and optimize the site.

My only question is will our data be sold to any third parties?

No. We have never sold user data, even anonymized user data, to anyone for any purpose. As long as Nelson C and I are operating NikeTalk, that will not change. We believe the practice of selling user data is unethical.

Data you entrust to NikeTalk should remain with NikeTalk.

The policy describes the occasions where the sharing of user data is necessary. If we receive a subpoena for user information, for example, in the case of a law enforcement investigation, we will comply with that subpoena. If, say, a user is attempting to defraud or harm someone else, we may need to use information to report that behavior to the proper authorities. We may also need to share certain information with our partners, like @HellaSteph, whose company fulfills many of the same responsibilities once entrusted to our previous partners, Huddler and ezboard. They have access to this information to maintain the website and cannot sell it or use it for any other purpose.

The policy describes the occasions where the sharing of user data is necessary. If we receive a subpoena for user information, for example, in the case of a law enforcement investigation, we will comply with that subpoena. If, say, a user is attempting to defraud or harm someone else, we may need to use information to report that behavior to the proper authorities. We may also need to share certain information with our partners, like @HellaSteph, whose company fulfills many of the same responsibilities once entrusted to our previous partners, Huddler and ezboard.
Has NT ever received a subpoena for user information?

You may have noticed that many of the sites you visit have been sending out updates to their privacy policies. That's not a coincidence: the GDPR goes into effect tomorrow.

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/what-the-gdpr-means-for-facebook-the-eu-and-you/

Among the changes websites must make if they wish to be compliant with the GDPR, sites must require all users to opt in to their policy rather than imply acceptance through means like "by your continued use of this site or service, you agree that..."

The terms themselves haven't been changed much, it's just that we need everyone to manually accept those terms in accordance with the new EU law.

Though most of our users live in North America, and there's some legal debate over whether websites like ours, which are username based and do not request a person's actual name or mailing address, are even subject to the GDPR, we wanted to be fully compliant with the new law - and the team worked very late last night updating our website to make that possible. If you were online at around midnight PST last night, you may have noticed a banner notification about an update and the occasional glitch here or there, but the update was performed while the site remained online. The update included a variety of software changes to ensure GDPR compliance - most of which benefit all users, like a simple, one click "unsubscribe" function for all email notifications. (We also switched to a new, premium third party email delivery service to help resolve a few issues with email delivery, primarily experienced by users who registered using an email address from ancient providers like AOL or Yahoo.)

I know that legal policies can sometimes be cryptic, so I'm happy to answer any specific questions anyone has about our policies.

Cookies are used by advertisers, like Google, and those can track browsing history, etc. This article offers more information: https://globalnews.ca/news/4110311/how-to-stop-targeted-ads-facebook-google-browser/

NikeTalk's cookies aren't used to track your browsing history, but to store your settings, etc.

To be clear: no matter what your settings, neither I nor anyone else on our staff can access your browsing history. That portion of the policy pertains to the advertiser cookies and things like Google Analytics.

We don't have access to your name - unless you enter that as your username, and, if you do, all users can perform a one time username change here: https://niketalk.com/account/change-username
We don't have access to your address. We do have access to your IP information, which can provide us with information about your ISP and, where available, basic information about the device you're using to access the site. We typically use device information to help us troubleshoot and optimize the site.

No. We have never sold user data, even anonymized user data, to anyone for any purpose. As long as Nelson C and I are operating NikeTalk, that will not change. We believe the practice of selling user data is unethical.

Data you entrust to NikeTalk should remain with NikeTalk.

The policy describes the occasions where the sharing of user data is necessary. If we receive a subpoena for user information, for example, in the case of a law enforcement investigation, we will comply with that subpoena. If, say, a user is attempting to defraud or harm someone else, we may need to use information to report that behavior to the proper authorities. We may also need to share certain information with our partners, like @HellaSteph, whose company fulfills many of the same responsibilities once entrusted to our previous partners, Huddler and ezboard. They have access to this information to maintain the website and cannot sell it or use it for any other purpose.
The effort u put into explaining stuff
To users is always appreciated

Has NT ever received a subpoena for user information?
We have not. With an agreement like this, we just need to cover our bases. However unlikely they may be, there are certain situations where we may be required to share certain information and it's important for us to specify the conditions under which such sharing would be necessary.

I for one object to signing it while under duress and thus you will be hearing from my lawyer Methodical Management Methodical Management
st-Avenatti0033.jpg
892123.gif

Back
Top Bottom