Nursing Program

Originally Posted by Rightguard

Originally Posted by What up

If you work hard, have years of experience under your belt, and weasel your way to the top, you can make a lot of money.  Especially if you're an experienced ICU/Oncology/OR nurse.

People are lying if they say they're not in it for the money.  Maybe if they're a nurse in Florida and getting paid $20/hr, they have no choice but to say that.  I get paid that much to coach little league and I didn't slave my way through nursing school for that kind of salary.  These dinosaur nurses need to hurry up and retire so I can get a job. 

P.S. +#$% the NCLEX.  Tired studying for this *$#@.

atleast you will be well prepared when the time comes.

wordd.. ive been a working RN for almost a year and the job situation is still hard bc of these old @@% nurses wont retire haha i have a job as an RN, but its not the ideal job i saw myself in when i was going through nursing school.

Don't do it....I hate my job everyday.
I like my job because of the challenges of being in ICU, hate it because of the politics/drama/staffing/unreasonable "customer satisfaction" demands

I'm currently in cardiac ICU and about to transfer to CVICU. Get my 2 years of CVICU experience and go to CRNA school.
Don't be bed side forever....

Updates?

I passed A&P 2. Now just waiting for a letter for Radiology. 
frown.gif

Originally Posted by jt solemates lm

Originally Posted by BgL2687

BSN's do start off with higher pay.  Also if you ever want to go back for a masters to become a nurse practitioner that option is there.
That's definitely true....but since my grades aren't high enough for a BSN right now, I'll have to settle for my ASN.

ADN and BSN makes pretty much the same amount (BSN's get $1 and some change more per hour). But most hospitals, especially in new york city, hires BSN. Job market is tough right now....i hear people who graduated last year who cant find a job. Either you know a hook up (know a doctor or a nurse supervisor or someone in HR thats working in a hospital) or you have tons of experience.
I am actually planning to apply to a ADN program, since it's cheaper, easier for me to get in, less pre-reqs, I already have a B.S., and I am planning to go for my masters maybe a year or two after I graduate. If you're an ADN, all you need is a BS degree and experience to get into a masters program.
I just got a A in A&P 1, taking psychology right now, and all I have to take is A&P 2 next semester and maybe microbiology in the summer. Hopefully I get into either 2011 Fall or 2012 Spring program....

Im still waiting to get into the program... Just passed my Microbio with an A. Finished A&P1 with a C, and A&P2 with a B.

Does anyone know if the actual program is as hard as..lets say the difficulty of A&P?

Originally Posted by HyphySole

Im still waiting to get into the program... Just passed my Microbio with an A. Finished A&P1 with a C, and A&P2 with a B.

Does anyone know if the actual program is as hard as..lets say the difficulty of A&P?
I've heard it's much harder than basic pre-req classes like A&P, bio, etc.
I'm not too worried, I thought A&P 1 was a breeze

I thought the actual program was HARD at the time. 

Looking back at it, it wasn't so bad. 

If you're at a reputable program you're going to think your first semester is hell.  But if you make it through things are going to seem easier because you'll know how to study for future classes.

nurses who specialize in anesthesia and other critical matters get paid big dollars.  nurses who clean poop and give sponge showers do not get 100k.............. 50 dollars an hour at 40 hours does not equal 100k your lucky math is not required for nursing. 

nursing is a great field and im glad to see more men break the barrier.

u forget to take into account the shift u work on.... i work the oncology floor in Oakland kaiser, and i grossed 113000 working 40 hr/week.thats without overtime (thats being a nurse in the bay area NOC shift.)  u get paid the same in icu or whatever dept you're in, pay rate depends on your exp. im 2.5 yrs into it, and when i started i was making 100+ because of noc differential which is about 8.50 extra on top. BIG BUCKS for nursing goes to the nurse anesthetists or if you are high up in the ladder like chief nursing officer.

Originally Posted by amel223

I thought the actual program was HARD at the time. 

Looking back at it, it wasn't so bad. 

If you're at a reputable program you're going to think your first semester is hell.  But if you make it through things are going to seem easier because you'll know how to study for future classes.

Originally Posted by KenJi714

I guess yall like being around sick people and see them dying. Yea nurses make money but damn don't you think it's a depressing career ?

Depressing?...not at all, after a year or two, you can watch people die and talk about breakfast at the same time....seriously.

depressing? if you cant deal with it, you can always transfer to outpatient clinical settings like dermatology or go into management

For me I felt that the pre req classes were hard but all the material being tested were just based on facts. Meaning the test to me were just based on memorization. Where as nursing test you have to apply that knowledge to scenario based situations. For me I just finished my maternity section of the nursing program and I thought it has been the hardest course I had to go through. 
Just study hard and you should be fine. Read questions a lot more carefully because a lot of times you will think 2 answers are right but you just need to really pick the best one. 

Originally Posted by JJC6723

For me I felt that the pre req classes were hard but all the material being tested were just based on facts. Meaning the test to me were just based on memorization. Where as nursing test you have to apply that knowledge to scenario based situations. For me I just finished my maternity section of the nursing program and I thought it has been the hardest course I had to go through. 
Just study hard and you should be fine. Read questions a lot more carefully because a lot of times you will think 2 answers are right but you just need to really pick the best one. 
THIS!
mad.gif

136k for WCU?? From nothing straight to BSN right

are grants, etc even possible there? lol

I guess in the grand scheme 136k can be paid in 3 years of working easily, but that is def a nice chunk of $.

My sister is about to finish there in a few months, but she's in the lvn to bsn program.

I just got accepted into my traditional nursing program here in NY. I finished all of my pre-reqs so I'm basically just looking at nursing classes and clinicals when I start in the fall. 
pimp.gif

I just need to finish this semester with at least a C+ in each class then it's 6 semesters of nursing and clinicals. 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by MF Doomer

Originally Posted by KenJi714

I guess yall like being around sick people and see them dying. Yea nurses make money but damn don't you think it's a depressing career ?
It could be rewarding, being a doctor for example.
Word. My lady friend who's currently in the nursing program is in it because she loves to help people. 

Updates?

Although not Nursing, I just finished my first semester of Rad Tech classes along with Physics for the summer. Classes begin again in the fall. 2 days at school, 2 days at the hospital.

I'm about to start a rotation as a OR nurse/ circulator. But I was a surgical tech for 4 years so I definitely feel I have a leg up. As far as nursing goes I really think if you're an OR nurse it's pretty easy. And you can most def make 100k + a year I was making that as a scrub tech in the bay area (call time included)

Back
Top Bottom