NY case puts N-word use among blacks on trial

Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

So they forced us in the kitchen and are now mad that we baked a cake which we don't want to share with them...

I hate these enabling arguments. Ideally no one should say the word, I agree with that. But circumstances have dictated that its become part of black vernacular. Why does that make it ok for non-blacks to use? And more importantly, why do people want it to be ok? IDC what homosexuals call each other, I'm not coming out my face calling them f's. I know I'm not apart of that community and therefore my intentions and the context may be misinterpreted. I also don't understand how people think there will be some sort of mass paradigm change where the word will suddenly become taboo amongst all blacks and therefore in turn others will magically become less racist. That's not the way the world works. But I guess that is the way America works. Put the onus on the injured and not the ones creating the hurt. If no one ever uttered the n-word ever again I don't think it would make a hint of a difference as far as racism goes. A racist will find a way to be racist until we change the prevailing mentality in America where skin color affects perception of a person.

As for this case, anyone who speaks like that in the workplace deserves what they get.

Ohhh so you want to take ownership, and be the arbiter, or ignorance and racism?

Surely, you'll understand if I choose to disagree with you.

I'm not for anyone owning racism our deriving power from it. I'm for the complete destruction of any and all vestiges of a racism.

And do you think if black people stopped saying the word, white people would?

Still confused why he called a female the n word, and then he's going to go under oath and say when he said it that it was out of love :lol: unbelievable

Do you personally desire to use the N-word openly??
I think that's what it is from a lot of them.

This is a weekly topic.

Exactly.  I'm seeing some of the same individuals make the same tired argument of "well blacks can say it, why can't we?"  My advice to people like him and anyone else non-black that feels that way is to go to any predominately black neighborhood near where you live and stand on the corner like Bruce Willis did in Die Hard with a Vengeance with a sign that reads "I like to call black people *******" and see how far that gets you.  Be sure to post before and after pictures here on NT just so we can verify. 
That's one of the examples why life is so strange. It baffles me how blacks use this word so openly. I definitely attempt to remove it from my vocabulary entirely. Also, the idea of blacks "owning" a word is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard; if a black person says it, it's all good, but if a white person uses it in the same connotation, all hell breaks lose. Forbidding another person of doing something based on the color of their skin sounds a bit racist to me, ironically. Just one of the paradoxes of life. Work so hard to remove a word, then once it's gone, make the word more popular by your own people.
Just to clarify if I'm reading your post correctly........you are black, and you think white people should be able to use the word without all hell breaking loose, is that correct??

It's funny to me, instead of white people being active and trying to stop somethings they have a say in...racism, discrimination, bigotry....

They worry about what we call each other?

**** that, who cares about crime, education system, unequal drug laws, unemployment rate for even educated black people....

Dammit, you should stop saying the N word, because you're confusing us.

And you wonder why we doubt your sincerity :smh:

And do you think if black people stopped saying the word, white people would?

Obviously not. But blacks using the word freely gives other races the entitlement to without consequence on some "who cares, they say it too" steez.

By blacks attempting to trivialize the term, white people inevitably do the same thing.

I find it hard to ignore the history behind the word though. You would think black people would feel the same. I guess it's just the older generations who were more deeply affected.

It should be forever stigmatized by the black community. Maybe in a perfect world.

Last edited:
Obviously not. But blacks using the word freely gives other races the entitlement to without consequence on some "who cares, they say it too" steez.

By blacks attempting to trivialize the term, white people inevitably do the same thing.

I find it hard to ignore the history behind the word though. You would think blacks would also.

It should be forever stigmatized by blacks. Maybe in a perfect world.

I wish you would stop generalizing. Many of us don't use it.

Have you ever put any thought about why some black people use it and trying to change that. Instead of just looking at the end result.

Everybody should be able to say it; it's just a word.

But a white guy should not be mad if he gets punched in his mouth whenever he does say it.

Like, sure, a white guy can say any word he wants. And i can also punch him in his face when he says it.

I should be able to call a gay dude a f-g, but if he punches me in the mouth for saying it I can't be mad at anyone but myself.

I should be able to call a girl a b-word, but if she kicks me in the junk or gets her brother on me then who am I to be mad. I just said something really disrespectful to her.

People are really overthinking this whole thing.

Last edited:
I wish you would stop generalizing. Many of us don't use it.

I didn't say everyone says it. I know plenty of black dudes that don't say with. Meanwhile, I know plenty of puerto rican and european white dudes that do say it.

It embarrasses me when i hear the word and I'm white.

Have you ever put any thought about why some black people use it and trying to change that. Instead of just looking at the end result.

I have a pretty good idea. At least based on what I've read/heard. Feel free to enlighten me though, even though you just said you don't use it.

It's funny to me, instead of white people being active and trying to stop somethings they have a say in...racism, discrimination, bigotry....

**** that, who cares about crime, education system, unequal drug laws, unemployment rate for even educated black people....

It's funny to me, you assuming that white people don't care or have an active role in larger issues because they're concerned about smaller issues.

I wish you would stop generalizing.

Last edited:
Glad this black-hispanic (I'm looking at a certain NTer now) got what he deserved.

Hopefully, this sets some kind of precedence in our communities because frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing the "my n___" phrase every time I am out in public.

You can't expect anyone to take you seriously, and treat you with respect, when you are racially self deprecating. If you can refer to yourself as a N, why can't an old white guy living in Westport? It's a terms of endearment, right? Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

:x

It hurts my soul that you're serious.

But speaking about the article...

N word doesn't have place in the work force, and I use it frequently...

Oh... I see a HUGE ninjahood debate coming too...

Complete with Keko Jones and Celticsfan extremely biased viewpoints...

Quote me on that.

QFT

Along with some others who always end up in threads like this.

And you wonder why we doubt your sincerity
mean.gif
good-job.gif

Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

So they forced us in the kitchen and are now mad that we baked a cake which we don't want to share with them...

I hate these enabling arguments. Ideally no one should say the word, I agree with that. But circumstances have dictated that its become part of black vernacular.
1) So ignorance and racism, with emphasis on ignorance, is a heirloom that we--black people--must take pride in? Got'cha

Why does that make it ok for non-blacks to use? And more importantly, why do people want it to be ok?
2) Truth be told, that's not the central argument. Ideally, and preferably, N- word usage should be entirely taboo in any sort of present context.

If we are engaged in some kind of intellectual conversation regarding race in America as it affects those of African ancestry, and are actively evaluating history, then perhaps there's room for digging up that word.

But in the present? While you're sitting on the train going uptown or downtown? In the bus? Walking up or down the street? You think it's appropriate to hear supposedly grown men and women throw that world about recklessly, almost always in the presence of children. There's no education happening in these pockets when one person releases a tirade of N-word phrases. Absolutely none. There's history, but it's of the ignorant kind. The kind where only half the picture is readily available.

I also don't understand how people think there will be some sort of mass paradigm change where the word will suddenly become taboo amongst all blacks and therefore in turn others will magically become less racist. That's not the way the world works.
3) What would we know about how the world works if we aren't even given ourselves a chance at a new paradigm? It's one thing to have tried and failed, it's another to not even have given an ounce of effort.

Respect is something worth achieving. As a community, we have A LOT of obstacles to overcome. Much of it having to do racism. How can we then make any sort of headway if our platform is mired in hypocrisy?

But I guess that is the way America works. Put the onus on the injured and not the ones creating the hurt. If no one ever uttered the n-word ever again I don't think it would make a hint of a difference as far as racism goes.
4) It wouldn't quite honestly. Why? Because racism is akin to the Hydra of mythology-- cut off one head and two more sprout out.

Still, though, this isn't reason to fall into despair. You think the activist from the civil rights era believed that their efforts would immediately put a halt to all racism and injustice toward blacks and other minorities? No; but I am willing to bet that they understood that a push against racism and injustice, however little, was a push in the right direction.

It's pathetically self-defeating to say that attempting to end N-word usage is purposeless and hopeless. It really is. Racism and injustice wont be dealt a crippling blow anytime soon, but you don't resign yourself from the fight just because you won't get to enjoy the the victory. MLK didn't enjoy the fruits of his labors. But thanks to him, you and I, and many others can make headway towards futures unimaginable and inconceivable to black men and women 60-70-80 years ago.

Slowly eradicating usage of the N-word from black vernacular and the greater American lexicon, outside of an educational context, wont end racism, but it'll make for a less racist future for the next generation and those after that. It's the least we can do. Let that be our gift and legacy to the future.

A racist will find a way to be racist until we change the prevailing mentality in America where skin color affects perception of a person.
5) Well it's a fine job we're doing when we continuously acknowledge each other, in the present, using a historical term intended to highlight our inferiority to whites.

I'm going to be short with you b/c I'm at work commenting in the little spare time I have.

1) I didn't say any such thing. I just acknowledged what is, not what is ideal, thus my use of the word "ideally." We live in a world and country that is very complex. Your simple approach to such a complex thing is lacking in a number of ways. We didn't en masse decide to pass the n-word down as an heirloom. Circumstances which we did not create dictated that. As I inferred in my post above.

2) It's not a question of appropriateness. Its a question of historical context. You are asking WHY we are at this point, instead of HOW we got to this point. It's not happenstance that the n-word has become so ingrained in black vernacular. So to look at its users as some sort of boon to social progression is a bit ridiculous.

3) Not even given an ounce of effort? You act as if its all blacks who use the n-word. There are plenty who do not. And there's obviously many who are outspoken about its use, such as yourself. As I stated earlier, it makes little difference to a racist. While we're here sopping up spilt milk with tear laden napkins, those who wish us ill are continuing to conspire in new and ever-changing ways to keep us confined. We aren't politicians who must build sound platforms to win elections. We are people and we are flawed. So if you mean to infer that our progress as a people is tied to our use of a word, I'm going to have to wholeheartedly disagree.

4) Again, here we disagree. Eradication of the n-word won't make for a less racist future. It's not the n-word that is creating racism. What the hell will trimming the hedges do if your tree is dying at the root? And believe you me racism starts at the root of America.

5) You think use of the n-word by blacks is the steampower behind that mentality? That's laughable. Racists don't think we're inferior because we use the n-word. They think we're inferior because they're racist.

And you wonder why we doubt your sincerity
mean.gif
All fact, no filler.

I think that's what it is from a lot of them.

This is a weekly topic.

Exactly.  I'm seeing some of the same individuals make the same tired argument of "well blacks can say it, why can't we?"  My advice to people like him and anyone else non-black that feels that way is to go to any predominately black neighborhood near where you live and stand on the corner like Bruce Willis did in Die Hard with a Vengeance with a sign that reads "I like to call black people *******" and see how far that gets you.  Be sure to post before and after pictures here on NT just so we can verify. 

That's one of the examples why life is so strange. It baffles me how blacks use this word so openly. I definitely attempt to remove it from my vocabulary entirely. Also, the idea of blacks "owning" a word is the most idiotic thing I've ever heard; if a black person says it, it's all good, but if a white person uses it in the same connotation, all hell breaks lose. Forbidding another person of doing something based on the color of their skin sounds a bit racist to me, ironically. Just one of the paradoxes of life. Work so hard to remove a word, then once it's gone, make the word more popular by your own people.

Just to clarify if I'm reading your post correctly........you are black, and you think white people should be able to use the word without all hell breaking loose, is that correct??

I don't think it should be used at all.

Glad this black-hispanic (I'm looking at a certain NTer now) got what he deserved.

Hopefully, this sets some kind of precedence in our communities because frankly, I'm sick and tired of hearing the "my n___" phrase every time I am out in public.

You can't expect anyone to take you seriously, and treat you with respect, when you are racially self deprecating. If you can refer to yourself as a N, why can't an old white guy living in Westport? It's a terms of endearment, right? Simply stated, you can't have your cake and still eat it.

:x

It hurts my soul that you're serious.

But speaking about the article...

N word doesn't have place in the work force, and I use it frequently...

Oh... I see a HUGE ninjahood debate coming too...

Complete with Keko Jones and Celticsfan extremely biased viewpoints...

Quote me on that.

but you can't even defend your argument... so why bash members before they post when you completely wasted yours with useless emoticons?

funny thing is everyone here thinks Method Man is the end-all, be-all in these discussion, so it would be nice for him to drop a lengthy post calling most of you dudes ignorant for thinking you can own a word and tell other races they can't use it... and not seeing anything racist about it.

Last edited:
I don't think anyone should use it. It should've died right along with slavery.

The thought of Jews, Vietnamese, Middle Easterners juking derogatory terms and using them to refer to one another. Just not a good look.

The n-word should have civil sanctions.
Let's get to the heart of the matter.  I believe your more so upset/offended that you and those like you aren't able to use the word at will as you so desire. 
I don't think it should be used at all.
Are you black??

They only worried about what you call each other because black people always talking about them not being able to say it :lol:

It goes both ways.

Let's get to the heart of the matter.  I believe your more so upset/offended that you and those like you aren't able to use the word at will as you so desire. 

Brool Story Co. But why would I want to use an offensive term when I'm not even black? Like I'm Flip from White Boys or something :lol: Talk about delusional.

You and others in this thread have this hostile "us vs. them" mentality when someone not black speaks on an issue involving the black community.

I'm sorry you're unable to have an internet discussion without making a lame attempt to attack.

Last edited:
Brool Story Co. But why would I want to use an offensive term when I'm not even black? Like I'm Flip from White Boys or something
laugh.gif
Talk about delusional.

You and others in this thread have this hostile "us vs. them" mentality when someone not black speaks on an issue involving the black community.

I'm sorry you're unable to have an internet discussion without making a lame attempt to attack.
It's not a lame attempt or attack champ.  I see you post the same nonsense in threads regarding the N-word constantly.  I think it really bothers you that black people can say that word and a person like you can't.  Hence the meaning and understanding of the word "white privilege".  Do you really have a desire to understand the context of how black people use the word versus how white people use the word and the meaning behind it..........I would guess probably not. 

Also, there are plenty on non-black people such as yourself that can use and have used this offensive term before.  To suggest that you wouldn't simply because your not black is laughable at best.  In a thread like this, it is a "us vs. them" mentality that takes place because we have people like you and others that have this burning desire to speak on black issues when you and others aren't black. 

You'll never catch me speaking on matters in the Jewish community........you know why, because I'm not Jewish and I wouldn't assert myself in a conversation where I insisted that my demands be meet by them.  I wish you would follow in the same footsteps and not try to assert your beliefs about black people onto black people.  If you want to ask questions or give a suggestion that fine.  We welcome that..............but make sure you form your opinion/statement in the form of a question champ.  As to ask and not try to dictate.   

It's not a lame attempt or attack champ.  I see you post the same nonsense in threads regarding the N-word constantly.  I think it really bothers you that black people can say that word and a person like you can't.  Hence the meaning and understanding of the word "white privilege".  Do you really have a desire to understand the context of how black people use the word versus how white people use the word and the meaning behind it..........I would guess probably not. 

And you're a self-hating black man. Assuming things about other people is easy. Ok, your turn again.

And I could say the word if I wanted to. What makes you think i can't? I just don't care to...

You'll never catch me speaking on matters in the Jewish community........you know why, because I'm not Jewish

Opinions are like a##holes. Everyone has one.

Some might hold more weight than others, doesn't mean I can't or don't have one.

Last edited:
And you're a self-hating black man. Assuming things about other people is easy. Ok, your turn again.

And I could say the word if I wanted to. What makes you think i can't? I just don't care to...
You'll never catch me speaking on matters in the Jewish community........you know why, because I'm not Jewish
Opinions are like a##holes. Everyone has one.

Some might hold more weight than others, doesn't mean I can't or don't have one.
That's great.  Please continue to do so for your own well-being.  Also, if you truly don't care to use the word why are you in here arguing for non-black people to use the word??

Back
Top Bottom