Oahu, Hawaii trip...I need some tips

I'll be there in 2 weeks. I need some advise from people that have been/live there on what cool places to check out and activities to do, but nothingtoo extravagant? Aloha!

-Pali Lookout
-Byodo-In Temple
-Polynesian Cultural Center
-Hit up the North shore
-Diamond Head
-Waimea Beach
-Ka'ena Point State Park
-Pearl Harbor
-Dole Plantation
-Niketown

I'll be there in 4 weeks...I know all the tourist spots and sneaker spots but I want to know about the best places to eat dinner and the best clubs/bars togo to, thanks.

[h1]Honolulu Screamer
pimp.gif
[/h1]
596-3.jpg

I just got back a couple weeks ago. It was fantastic.

First night, head out to this Restaurant called Chais Island Bistro by the Marina in Waikiki. Live music and hula dancing and we had the 4 course dinner. Myfriends went overboard and ordered a few of the $50 bottles of wine and our bill ended up around $500. Food was fantastic though.

After dinner headed out to this bar called Mai Tais. Just like the spot out here in Long Beach, CA. You'll definitely meet up with a bunch of the locals.A lot of MMA heads so watch yourself.
laugh.gif

Sat we headed out to the swap meet at the Aloha Bowl. Lots of great discounts and this was the spot I bought all my souvenirs. From there head out to PearlHarbor, a couple miles away, to pay respects.

Lots of clubs but we only ended up going to one spot, Oceans. All right spot but the Female to Male ratio was lacking plus it was mad crowded.

Definitely rent scooters and take it to Hamuama bay. Snorkeling was mad fun.

If you interest in going to a Luau then I would recommend Paradise Cove.

If you go to North Shore stop and get shaved ice at Matsumotos. Long wait but worth it.

Shoe spots? I didn't bother cause we got plenty of stores out here in LA. I didn't want to bother lugging more crap to bring home.

Other spots -

Senor Frogs was cool plus they had cheap drinks.
Kona Brewing Company - excellent view of the harbor

My only tip is to stay away from the street walkers in Waikiki. Lots of Five0 there. And be friendly cause it's easy as hell to make friends with thelocals and get hook ups on the local greenery there.
pimp.gif

Have fun OP

Originally Posted by Korean Dave

I'll be there in 4 weeks...I know all the tourist spots and sneaker spots but I want to know about the best places to eat dinner and the best clubs/bars to go to, thanks.
Last time I was in Hawaii was about 1 1/2 ago. Most of the clubs in Oahu were
grin.gif
.(I guess they're cool if your 18-20).

One place I'd definitely recommend is Mai Tai Bar inside the Ala Moana Mall. I thought it was a chill spot. Theyplay live music and seemed more like a local spot opposed to the clubs on the Waikiki strip.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

I'll be there in 4 weeks...I know all the tourist spots and sneaker spots but I want to know about the best places to eat dinner and the best clubs/bars to go to, thanks.
grin.gif

One place I'd definitely recommend is Mai Tai Bar inside the Ala Moana Mall. I thought it was a chill spot. They play live music and seemed more like a local spot opposed to the clubs on the Waikiki strip.

Thanks...Yeah, I'm 27 and most of the time, I feel too old to frequent clubs. I am definitely interested in the local bars and such. I would rather berelaxing in a local spot than a club full of tourist. I'll be with my fiance anyways so females wont be on my radar. I'll take your suggestion intoconsideration, again thanks.

Originally Posted by EAGLE 0N

grin.gif

One place I'd definitely recommend is Mai Tai Bar inside the Ala Moana Mall. I thought it was a chill spot. They play live music and seemed more like a local spot opposed to the clubs on the Waikiki strip.
Can easily be confused with the one in the Out Rigger hotel on the beach...
laugh.gif

Went to Oahu two December's ago..stayed in the same spot as the pro bowlers, great hotel. I think it was the JW Marriott.

I personally have no desire to ever go back to Oahu, I enjoy Maui more. There is certainly more to do in Oahu, especially when you're younger.

********'s Hat
North Shore
Polynesian Cultural Center

the places i listed are north of oahu tho, a good hour north from waikiki. some of the most beautiful scenery can be scene here.

u can also try water hang gliding/wakeboarding in waikiki.

best local bar: tsunamis
best local scumbag bar in waikiki: hernando's hideaway
best nice restaurant: alan wongs
some other places to eat close to waikiki: diamond head market and grill, ramen nakamura, rainbow drive-in, the counter.
some other fun things to do: skydive, shark cage, hanauma bay is nice, hike manoa falls.

do not leave valuables in the car or on the beach towel unattended. stay away from the west side of the island if you are caucasian.

pm me if you want any specific info or suggestions.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I personally have no desire to ever go back to Oahu, I enjoy Maui more. There is certainly more to do in Oahu, especially when you're younger.
If I didn't have family in Aiea, I'd definitely choose Maui over Oahu.

Originally Posted by durty pancakes

-Pali Lookout
-Byodo-In Temple
-Hit up the North shore
-Diamond Head
-Waimea Beach
-Ka'ena Point State Park
-Pearl Harbor
-Dole Plantation
-Niketown
I thought Niketown closed down.

Originally Posted by In3gra

durty pancakes wrote:

-Pali Lookout
-Byodo-In Temple
-Hit up the North shore
-Diamond Head
-Waimea Beach
-Ka'ena Point State Park
-Pearl Harbor
-Dole Plantation
-Niketown
I thought Niketown closed down.

not yet.

kevin2nd wrote:
best local bar: tsunamis
best local scumbag bar in waikiki: hernando's hideaway
best nice restaurant: alan wongs
some other places to eat close to waikiki: diamond head market and grill, ramen nakamura, rainbow drive-in, the counter.
some other fun things to do: skydive, shark cage, hanauma bay is nice, hike manoa falls.

do not leave valuables in the car or on the beach towel unattended. stay away from the west side of the island if you are caucasian.

pm me if you want any specific info or suggestions.

Damn
laugh.gif
...lucky I'm Korean. My fiance is Filipino so I think we willbe OK. Whats on the West side?

Sup Kev, gotta holla @ u next time im out that way.
OP, be sure to check out Jillian808, if ur dolo
laugh.gif

yeah the locals hate them haole's (white dudes)
laugh.gif
if ure white and near ewa bay or those areas, be prepared for stick ups
laugh.gif

i forgot to mention hanauma bay, perfect time to snorkle

you can never go wrong with sight seeing:
-Pali Point
-Byodo-In Temple
-North Shore

hit up:

-giovanni's shrimp truck and since you're on the way there, have Matsumoto's Shave Ice for dessert.
-Mai Tai's for a chill bar scene. mind you, it gets packed. PACKED...
-snorkeling at Haumana Bay (make sure you get there early, parking can be a #*@%!.)
-Shiro's for one of the best Saimin (in Pearl City, i believe.)
-Dole Plantation for that Dole Whip
- kakaako Kitchen for some local grinds

-kicks HI
-niketown
-Ala Moana Center

and that's all i remember. going there early next year as well.

lucky I'm Korean. My fiance is Filipino so I think we will be OK. Whats on the West side?

west side is the waianae coast. lots of bitter locals. lots of ice. lots of mma wannabes. a year ago a white dude was chillin there, took a pic of a localdude, got one punched and died. it's actually not that bad. they have really nice beaches there. i advise most people to only go as far asko'olina.

Originally Posted by kevin2nd

lucky I'm Korean. My fiance is Filipino so I think we will be OK. Whats on the West side?

west side is the waianae coast. lots of bitter locals. lots of ice. lots of mma wannabes. a year ago a white dude was chillin there, took a pic of a local dude, got one punched and died. it's actually not that bad. they have really nice beaches there. i advise most people to only go as far as ko'olina.
^^i believe that's the farthest we went. we went to Paradise Cove Luau over there. Nice homes. didn't know about the bitter locals in thearea. i'll have to remember that when i go back there. then again, i look like one of the locals too. LOL.

For the record, the Paradise Cove Luau I went to was a pure waste of my time.

It wasn't worth the time, effort, or money. I just had to get that off my chest.

I had a better time listening to the regulars at the Karaoke bar at the Wailana Coffee house on the corner of Ala Moana and Ena. $5 per sipping glass ofHenn, compared to $14 across the street at the Hilton.

Mai Tais is cool but do NOT act up there
laugh.gif
If you're with anyone who can't handle their alcohol, don't go there. There are always fights.

I would take a drive down to the North Shore and check out Ted's... They are known for their desserts/pies but have an awesome shrimp plate. They'vewon awards for it. Sea Life park is cool if you like dolphins and the like. You could take a surf lesson... Waimea Falls is nice too and you can see/playtraditional Hawaiian games. The Aloha Stadium swap meet has cheap souvenirs if you need any.

Oh, if you like Fitteds, check out Fitted Hawaii on Kona Street by Ala Moana Shopping Center. PM me if you have any other questions
smile.gif

Back
Top Bottom