Of Mics and Men: Wu Tang 4-part doc on Showtime 5/10/2019

it was cool seein da random perennial Roc chain on ODB's neck...felt like a movie easter egg.

I would have like to have heard about the first solo albums. Why did Loud pass on Meth, GFK and Rae solos and a little about the process.

I don't think they passed, it was part of RZA's plan to have them on diff labels.

Loud had first dibs on all of them, Loud passed. I’d like to hear why and a little bit about choosing the labels and how it went down.

Crazy, this **** could really be a 12-15 part show.

That's f'n crazy how dude ain't know who RZA was. Needed to be slapped. :lol:
Yooooo Rza already mad about the entire situation.

I wouldve went off on dude.

This dude is suppose to be repping and managing ODB and he don't know who the **** Rza is.

These ******* vultures man :smh:
I would have like to have heard about the first solo albums. Why did Loud pass on Meth, GFK and Rae solos and a little about the process.
Even though they were caking off Wu as a group I dont think they had the bread to stretch out to focus on releasing 4-5 separate solo albums.

Also its possible Def Jam and the rest offered deals Loud was not willing to match

After dwelling on it this doc was more like the intro/first quarter.

Looking @ recent **** they should've spoke on that compilation album put together by Mathematics that had no U-God on it cuz of him suing for royalties.

Wu-Tang dropping an EP tomorrow, half of them not even on it. Hahahaha

This doc got me wanting to go back and listen to all the official Wu Tang albums again, it's been awhile. Out of the six albums, which album is y'all favorite production wise?
36 Chambers.

Others will say the obvious like Forever and the W but I'd mention I really liked the production on 8 Diagramz. Rza was in his bag. Cant believe that was 12 years ago now.

Last edited:
If we’re being honest, as a collective, there are only 2 Wu albums you NEED to listen to. The first two.

The others have good tracks sprinkled in there for sure. But ultimately you could just make a playlist with the good songs from The W and up and call it a day. Zero chance I’ll ever throw those on and listen all the way through.

Ghost said it best they did their deals as boys. When manhood come around and it’s time for them diapers and mortgages. Contract talks gotta change.

I can’t even be mad at divine.

Also that 5% sound dope and heavy.

Who was that Def Jam suit "Jared" who didn't know who Rza was when he came into the office to release ODB?

What's up man I'm Jared, what's your name?
Rza: You don't know my name?
Oh you're Rza! You're a lot taller...
Rza: :stoneface:

Man that was so disrespectful :lol:

Props for Rza keeping it professional tho

July 1997: a cover story, finding that “each member contributes 20 percent of his earnings back to that company, and all of the members share equally in the profits, regardless of how well their individual albums sold, or whether or not they even made an album.” While that might sound pretty good, DeCurtis thinks it’s “a blueprint for jealousy and competition — and it may eventually prove to be” their downfall.

I think Divine had the right blueprint down...but it was destined to fail.

Rza was acting a little different in at the dinner table in episode 4 than he was in the theater. Got me thinking if someone in that theater that wasn't at the dinner table rubs him the wrong way.

Gza with his face buried in spaghetti like "I'm just here so I don't get fined" :lol:

Was the white dude with the beard Remedy?

Episode 1 was the makings of a classic. They missed the mark on the remaining three episodes. Still good, just not great.

Agree with this. They focused just a little too much on the inner turmoil as it related to the business.

Not sure who that white dude is but he’s not Remedy

For people in NYC:

EF2B009B-FE0A-4244-AA30-B15250DF0D24.jpeg .

Passed by today. Nice little commercial art type of showcase. They have some Wu shirts for sale. Open until Sunday. There were no lines but I don’t know if that will change on the weekend.

Remedy. :lol:

Funny story about dude.
My homie is the Urban Music Director at my alumni's radio station and he's also a DJ (turntablist). So whenever a hip-hop act comes into town, he usually ends up DJing the affair between sets. Over the years we've had La the Darkman, GZA, Killah Priest, Cappadonna, Brand Nubian, The Liks, Kweli, etc, etc, etc come into town. With the homie being the DJ, I just tag along with him and slide into the venue free, with access backstage/onstage.

So I think Remedy came with Killah Priest and Dreddy Kreuger, if I'm not mistaken. This isn't too long after his biggest hit "Never Again" off The Swarm album dropped. One of our other dudes is a brolic white dude who garnered some local fame with his rapping abilities. I don't know what it is about white emcees when they meet up, but there was instant friction between Remedy and the homie. Like they legit couldn't coexist in the same venue without mad mean mugs and tension. :lol::lol:

Me being me, I just kept drinking and blew that **** off and enjoyed the show from the side of the stage. So the show ends and we were obviously faded at that point. We're walking outside the venue helping the homie with his records/tables, when we see Remedy's mug plastered across his tour van. He's also out there and he walks up to us and steps to the aforementioned white brethren. Mind you, Remedy is a good 5'5", if that. I don't even remember what was said between the two, but the next thing I remember was my homie choking Remedy out on the ground. No punches, just choking. :smh::lol:

Anyways, they ended up getting separated and words were exchanged, but nothing more came of it. Still cracks me up to think about dude running up on some tough guy steez, only to end up on the ground with hands wrapped around his neck.

Back
Top Bottom