Official 10' NFL Offseason Thread: CIN sign T.O. 1yr/2m

I won't let it happen!
mad.gif

(God I hope the team actually doesn't do it though
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif
)

I want to do this draft thing as soon as all the teams are filled...I'm dying for some football
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by TheGift23

I want to do this draft thing as soon as all the teams are filled...I'm dying for some football
laugh.gif

Put it to a vote w/the other GMs w/a date and I have no problem starting early

We only need 4 more GMs to complete the roster

GM Roster

[table][tr][th=""]Pick[/th][th=""]Slotted team[/th][th=""]Record[/th][th=""]Note[/th][/tr][tr][td]1[/td][td]Rams/GUNNA GET IT[/td][td]1-15[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]2[/td][td]Lions/CP1708[/td][td]2-14[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]3[/td][td]Bucs/jville819[/td][td]3-13[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]4[/td][td]********/TheGift23[/td][td]4-12[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]5[/td][td]Chiefs/dreClark[/td][td]4-12[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]6[/td][td]Seahawks/USA Pride4Life[/td][td]5-11[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]7[/td][td]Browns/EnEyeKayEe[/td][td]5-11[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]8[/td][td]Raiders/SoHi 23[/td][td]5-11[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]9[/td][td]Bills/Kiddin Like Jason[/td][td]6-10[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]10[/td][td]Jaguars/MDterps4[/td][td]7-9[/td][td] [/td][/tr][tr][td]11[/td][td]Bears[/td][td]7-9[/td][td]Broncos acquired Bears' pick [/td][/tr][tr][td]12[/td][td]Dolphins/h3at23[/td][td]7-9[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]13[/td][td]49ers/bright nikes[/td][td]8-8[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]14[/td][td]Broncos/gangsta207therevolution[/td][td]8-8[/td][td]Seahawks acquired Broncos' pick [/td][/tr][tr][td]15[/td][td]Giants/The Wizard[/td][td]8-8[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]16[/td][td]Titans/Chester the Cheetah [/td][td]8-8[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]17[/td][td]Panthers[/td][td]8-8[/td][td]49ers acquired Panthers' pick [/td][/tr][tr][td]18[/td][td]Steelers/Ecook0808[/td][td]9-7[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]19[/td][td]Texans/Statis22[/td][td]9-7[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]20[/td][td]Falcons/ChampCruThik[/td][td]9-7[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]21[/td][td]Bengals/DaComeUP[/td][td]10-6[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]22[/td][td]Patriots/DeadsetAce[/td][td]10-6[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]23[/td][td]Packers/fraij da 5 11[/td][td]11-5[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]24[/td][td]Eagles/TrillipinoTrapstar[/td][td]11-5[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]25[/td][td]Ravens/theone2401[/td][td]9-7[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]26[/td][td]Cardinals/Respect21 [/td][td]10-6[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]27[/td][td]Cowboys/Nowitness41Dirk [/td][td]11-5[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]28[/td][td]Chargers/airmaxpenny1[/td][td]11-5[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]29[/td][td]Jets/Yankeephan87[/td][td]9-7[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]30[/td][td]Vikings/JPZx[/td][td]12-4[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]31[/td][td]Colts/Black Jesus[/td][td]14-2[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]32[/td][td]Saints/yungchris504 [/td][td]13-3[/td][td][/td][/tr][tr][td]Note: Coin flips will decide which NFL teams pick 10th, 16th and 19th.[/td][/tr][/table]

I'd rather just wait and do it after the combine.

And I'll be damned if I'm drafting for another 3-4 transition. I want to do a 4-3 this year.
laugh.gif

Don't make me be the GM for some random team! I will if it comes to it but won't be happy

As for Pitt I think Reed is resigned, Hampton is franchised, and Clark is resigned

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

I'd rather just wait and do it after the combine.

And I'll be damned if I'm drafting for another 3-4 transition. I want to do a 4-3 this year.
laugh.gif

That's my preference. I'd like to see how they do at the combine.....

Originally Posted by bright nikes

heat you have NFC needs article?
I got you when they post it
glasses.gif

Don't make me be the GM for some random team! I will if it comes to it but won't be happy

You can always ban E
laugh.gif
. J/k E J/k

Take the Bears or Panthers, they're nfc = lesser of evil

didn't we do like 3 of these last year?
laugh.gif

laugh.gif

UsaPride did the pre-combine, I did the post-combine and pre-draft mocks. 

It helps the time go by though
glasses.gif

yea... i'm all for doing 3 mocks.. a pre-combine, a post-combine and a pre-draft

That AFC Scouts list is one of the worst lists I have ever seen. Some staffer definitely wrote that,

Look who they have as needs for the Jets (other needs - NT and RB),

Look who they have as needs for the Raiders (WR and PK? Seriously?)

Those are just the two most blatant displays of idiocy, among many others

Originally Posted by Uter Zorker

That AFC Scouts list is one of the worst lists I have ever seen. Some staffer definitely wrote that,

U gotta remember, Scouts Inc is the same company who employs Todd McShay as their lead College evaluator.
that should tell u everything

I stopped reading their evaluations of players 2 yrs ago. I dont even post their insiders articles any more because its an embarrassment.

I'll take any GM spot available that has a pick in the 1st round, and if they are gon I'll take the panthers

Speaking of the devil........

[h2]O-line and D-line take over top 10[/h2][h3]
[h3]Updated top 10 includes only one skill player and one defensive back[/h3]

By Todd McShay
ESPN.com
Archive

Much has been made of the strength of the 2010 defensive tackle class, and the fact that the first two picks in Scouts Inc.'s latest first-round projection are defensive tackles is no surprise.

However, the offensive tackles are coming on strong, and we now project four offensive tackles to come off the board in the first eight picks. Add a pair of defensive ends to the players mentioned above, and you have eight linemen among the first 10 picks.

That leaves little room at the top for skill players and defensive backs, and some of the biggest names on our board have slipped significantly in our latest projection.

Here's how we see things shaking out now that the college all-star games are over and prospects are preparing for the upcoming NFL combine.

1.png

[h6]St. Louis Rams[/h6]
Record: 1-15

stl.gif

Gerald McCoy*, DT, Oklahoma

The Rams have a poor track record when it comes to drafting defensive linemen early, and now they have a tough choice to make between the stronger, more instinctive Ndamukong Suh and the quicker, more disruptive McCoy. Coach Steve Spagnuolo is looking for defensive linemen who can penetrate, which is why we think McCoy could be the top overall pick.

2.png

[h6]Detroit Lions[/h6]
Record: 2-14

det.gif

Ndamukong Suh, DT, Nebraska

The Lions will gladly take Suh here. He won't provide the pass-rush production of McCoy, but he is a force versus the run and he consistently disrupts passing windows thanks to his excellent instincts and long arms.

3.png

[h6]Tampa Bay Buccaneers[/h6]
Record: 3-13

tam.gif

Jason Pierre-Paul*, DE, South Florida

The Bucs will consider Tennessee S Eric Berry here, but they are in dire need of a speed rusher and Pierre-Paul is the most explosive one this draft class has to offer.

4.png

[h6]Washington ********[/h6]
Record: 4-12

was.gif

Anthony Davis*, OT, Rutgers

Oklahoma QB Sam Bradford has enough physical and mental tools to develop into a good NFL starter eventually. However, he also enters the league with enough question marks (shoulder injury, spread offensive system, etc.) for a team like the ******** to pass and fill one of several other holes. Solidifying its offensive line should be Washington's top priority, and Davis is the most naturally gifted tackle in this year's deep group. Two other options at tackle are Russell Okung (Oklahoma State) and Bryan Bulaga (Iowa).

5.png

[h6]Kansas City Chiefs[/h6]
Record: 4-12

kan.gif

Russell Okung, OT, Oklahoma State

Berry could make a huge impact in the Chiefs' secondary as well, but Kansas City has too much work still to do at core positions to spend No. 5 money on a safety. The offensive line needs to be solidified, and that could happen by bringing in Okung, who has a quick first step, good power and a mean streak.

6.png

[h6]Seattle Seahawks[/h6]
Record: 5-11

sea.gif

Bryan Bulaga*, OT, Iowa

Look for Seattle to pass on a quarterback in the top 10 for the second straight year. Finding a replacement for Walter Jones at left tackle is the more immediate need, and the team will get a safer prospect there than at quarterback. Bulaga still has room to improve in pass protection, but he displays the feet and balance to develop into a very good overall starting left tackle in the NFL.

7.png

[h6]Cleveland Browns[/h6]

cle.gif

Eric Berry*, S, Tennessee

Oklahoma State WR Dez Bryant will be tough to pass up here, but the Browns did spend a pair of second-round picks on WRs Brian Robiskie and Mohamed Massaquoi last year. Berry has the talent and experience to make the kind of impact for the Browns that perennial Pro Bowler Ed Reed made for the Ravens early in his career.

8.png

[h6]Oakland Raiders[/h6]

oak.gif

Trent Williams, OT, Oklahoma

Considering the team has used high draft picks on a quarterback (JaMarcus Russell), running back (Darren McFadden) and wide receiver (Darrius Heyward-Bey) in recent years, it would make sense to shift the focus to the offensive line this April. Both of the Raiders' starting offensive tackles (Mario Henderson and Cornell Green) are below average, and Williams has the physical tools and toughness to provide an upgrade at one of those two spots immediately.

9.png

[h6]Buffalo Bills[/h6]
Record: 6-11

buf.gif

Sam Bradford*, QB, Oklahoma

Offensive tackle and quarterback are chief among the Bills' needs, and they should draft a tackle if Davis, Okung or Bulaga is available. This scenario has them selecting the top quarterback prospect in the 2010 class, though. Bradford is a bit of a project because of his slight frame and the spread system he played in at Oklahoma, but he has the football intelligence and accuracy to be molded into a good starter in the NFL.

10.png

[h6]Jacksonville Jaguars**[/h6]
Record: 7-9

jac.gif

Derrick Morgan*, DE, Georgia Tech

Morgan will not wow scouts with his results at the combine, but he is a high-motor, technically sound player who can pressure the quarterback and set the edge against the run. He has the physical tools to develop into a good every-down starter at the next level.

11.png

[h6]Denver Broncos** (from 7-9 Chicago)[/h6]
Record: 6-7

den.gif

Dez Bryant*, WR, Oklahoma State

Denver still has needs along its offensive and defensive fronts as well as in the secondary, but it will be tough to pass on the clear-cut No. 1 wideout in this year's class should Bryant fall to the Broncos.

12.png

[h6]Miami Dolphins[/h6]
Record: 7-9

mia.gif

Rolando McClain*, ILB, Alabama

Bryant falling to No. 12 would be a dream scenario for the Dolphins, but if he is off the board, look for Miami to target a top talent in the defensive front seven. McClain is NFL-ready with the size, straight-line speed and work ethic to win a starting inside linebacker job immediately.

13.png

[h6]San Francisco 49ers[/h6]
Record: 8-8

sfo.gif

Joe Haden*, CB, Florida

The 49ers could go in several directions with this pick, including quarterback, offensive line or a pass-rusher, but they wouldn't go wrong taking a top-10 skill player like Haden at this spot.

14.png

[h6]Seattle Seahawks (from 8-8 Denver)[/h6]

sea.gif

C.J. Spiller, RB, Clemson

Notre Dame QB Jimmy Clausen might be a possibility here, but we do not believe he's worthy of a first-round selection. After finding a left tackle at No. 6, it would make sense for the Seahawks to use this pick on a difference-maker like Spiller. Running backs generally are not worth drafting this high, but Spiller has additional value due to his home run ability as a receiver and return man.

15.png

[h6]New York Giants[/h6]

nyg.gif

Brian Price*, DT, UCLA

The Giants need to retool the middle of their defense, and Price would be a good player to start with. He possesses the quickness and power to develop into a disruptive playmaker who can get into opposing backfields.

16.png

[h6]San Francisco** (from 8-8 Carolina)[/h6]

sfo.gif

Mike Iupati, OT/G, Idaho

Iupati is a fast-rising guard/right tackle prospect who is strong and nasty and would fit in nicely with coach Mike Singletary's hard-nosed brand of football.

17.png

[h6]Tennessee Titans**[/h6]

ten.gif

Carlos Dunlap*, DE, Florida

Dunlap is a bit immature and there are questions about his work ethic, but he also possesses a rare combination of size and athleticism for a defensive end. The Titans have enough veteran leadership on that side of the ball to pull the trigger here on a developmental project like Dunlap.

18.png

[h6]Pittsburgh Steelers[/h6]
Record: 9-7

pit.gif

Dan Williams, NT, Tennessee

The Steelers would like to use this pick on a top offensive line prospect like Iupati or Trent Williams, but with both off the board, they will avoid reaching for another offensive lineman. They also will avoid stretching for a tackle like Maryland's Bruce Campbell to go for value with Dan Williams, who has the size and strength to develop into the eventual replacement for NT Casey Hampton, who is set to become a free agent.

19.png

[h6]Atlanta Falcons**[/h6]

atl.gif

Kareem Jackson*, CB, Alabama

The Falcons need to improve their secondary talent after getting shredded through the air this past season. Jackson is one of the most underrated prospects in the 2010 class, and has the size, agility and balance to hold up in bump-and-run coverage on the perimeter. Plus, Jackson's instincts and technique are outstanding, so he should be ready to play as a rookie despite leaving school a year early.

20.png

[h6]Houston Texans**[/h6]

hou.gif

Earl Thomas*, S, Texas

Thomas is undersized but physical enough to play safety in the NFL if used properly. Regardless, he's one of the three most talented defensive backs in the 2010 class, and the Texans could use an upgrade at both free safety and cornerback, so Thomas is a fit no matter where he ends up playing.

21.png

[h6]Cincinnati Bengals[/h6]
Record:10-6

cin.gif

Jermaine Gresham, TE, Oklahoma

The Bengals are likely to use an early-round selection on a tight end, and while Gresham is a risk due to knee injuries (torn left ACL in high school, season-ending cartilage damage to right knee in 2009), his combination of size and athleticism is rare and he can stretch the seam effectively.

22.png

[h6]New England Patriots[/h6]
Record: 10-6

nwe.gif

Brandon Graham, OLB, Michigan

Graham is a bit undersized to play a traditional defensive end role, and he does not have the ideal athleticism you want in an outside linebacker. If used properly, though, Graham can excel in the NFL, and he appears to be in Bill Belichick's wheelhouse with his nonstop motor, excellent technique and good overall football intelligence.

23.png

[h6]Green Bay Packers[/h6]
Record: 11-5

gnb.gif

Bruce Campbell*, OT, Maryland

Campbell will turn some heads with his performance at the combine. However, while he might have the best combination of physical tools in this year's offensive tackle class, we expect Campbell to slip to the bottom half of the first round due to injury concerns and below-average technique.

24.png

[h6]Philadelphia Eagles[/h6]

phi.gif

Taylor Mays, S, USC

The Eagles need a replacement for the physical presence former defensive leader Brian Dawkins took with him when he left for Denver. Mays is a bit of a liability in deep coverage and he needs to learn to wrap up more consistently as a tackler, but it is hard to imagine a player with his combination of size, straight-line speed and explosive hitting falling out of the first round.

25.png

[h6]Baltimore Ravens[/h6]

bal.gif

Kyle Wilson, CB, Boise State

Wilson is a fast-rising prospect after showcasing his upper-echelon bump-and-run coverage skills at the Senior Bowl. A cornerback-needy team like the Ravens could easily pull the trigger on Wilson late in the first round.

26.png

[h6]Arizona Cardinals[/h6]
Record: 10-6

ari.gif

Sergio Kindle, DE/OLB, Texas

Kindle is a bit overrated, but we do think he is worth a pick at this point in the first round. The Cardinals could put him to work as a situational edge rusher early in his career while he works on getting bigger and stronger in order to hold up better versus the run.

27.png

[h6]Dallas Cowboys[/h6]

dal.gif

Nate Allen, S, South Florida

Allen is far from a first-round lock, but the Cowboys need to improve their athleticism at safety, and Allen has the right combination of speed and fluidity in coverage to help fix the problem.

28.png

[h6]San Diego Chargers[/h6]
Record: 13-3

sdg.gif

Jahvid Best*, RB, California

Best's draft stock could take a big hit depending on how the medical reports (back/neck, concussion) from the combine look. Assuming he checks out, Best likely will be high on the Chargers' board, along with Dan Williams, fellow RBs Ryan Mathews (Fresno State) and Jonathan Dwyer (Georgia Tech), and DT/DE Jared Odrick (Penn State). A healthy Best gets the nod thanks to his game-breaking speed.

29.png

[h6]New York Jets[/h6]

nyj.gif

Arrelious Benn*, WR, Illinois

The Jets need perimeter weapons for QB Mark Sanchez to throw to, and Benn is a better prospect than his 2009 production might indicate. He played through a nagging ankle injury and his quarterback was inconsistent, but Benn shows good initial burst and the ability to generate yards after the catch. Still, he needs to be more consistent catching the ball away from his body and must become a more savvy route runner.

30.png

[h6]Minnesota Vikings[/h6]
Record: 12-4

min.gif

Jared Odrick, DT, Penn State

The Vikings have proved they will take the best player available on the board, and in this scenario, Odrick fits the bill and would be groomed as an eventual replacement for aging DT Pat Williams. Other possibilities include Clausen, ILB Brandon Spikes (Florida), TE Anthony McCoy (USC) and C/G Maurkice Pouncey (Florida).

31.png

[h6]Indianapolis Colts[/h6]
Record: 14-2

ind.gif

Maurkice Pouncey*, OL, Florida

Odrick would make sense if he was still on the board, or the Colts could reach for an athletic offensive tackle like USC's Charles Brown. But Pouncey is a gifted interior lineman with the quick feet, versatility and football intelligence to help the Colts solidify their interior offensive line.

32.png

[h6]New Orleans Saints[/h6]
Record: 13-3

nor.gif

Sean Weatherspoon, OLB, Missouri

Weatherspoon is expected to turn some heads at the combine with his speed, and we're hearing that some teams grade him out as a mid-first-round pick. We're not quite as high on Weatherspoon because we question his ability to play in space, but the Super Bowl champs are expected to focus on upgrading the speed and athleticism of their defense, and Weatherspoon fits the mold.

* Denotes underclassmen

** Indicates picks that will be decided by coin flip
[/h3]

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

U gotta remember, Scouts Inc is the same company who employs Todd McShay as their lead College evaluator.
that should tell u everything

I stopped reading their evaluations of players 2 yrs ago. I dont even post their insiders articles any more because its an embarrassment.

True, it's been so long since I've been reading articles like this that I had really forgotten everything you wrote (about McShay and Scout Inc) - about two years ago I smartened up due to developing a better knowledge of the game and realizing the bafoonery put on ESPN by those type of people...I owe that to you among others around here, and a few gambling forums...problem is I try to tell my homies this exact same thing and they just think I'm trying to be some big headed know it all
eyes.gif
tired.gif

You watch ESPN at all Gunna besides for highlights/games? I just
laugh.gif
when I try to catch a casual show where they talk about College Ball, NFL, anything like that
sick.gif
....I truly believe most of the guys are on there to provide bad info to those who place $ on the game/create a drama soap opera type storyline....no doubt a new SUPREME sporting network is going to step up one day and take over, it's gotta within the next decade or two I'd think

Originally Posted by bright nikes

heat you have NFC needs article?

[h2]Scouts Inc.: NFC offseason needs[/h2][h3]
[h3]Breaking down the top three areas to address for every squad chasing the Saints[/h3]

Comment http:///sendtofriend.espn.go.com/sendtofriend/SendToFriend?URL=http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draf...e=Scouts Inc.: NFC offseason needs&id=4896967">http://sendtofriend.espn....n needs...le,noscrollbars,width=400,height=500');return false;" target="_blank" href="http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft10/insider/news/story?id=4896967#">Email Print http:///a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png)">http://a.espncdn.com/icons/share-icon-12x12.png) no-repeat left top" href="javascript:void(0);" rel=nofollow st_page="home">Share
By Gary Horton
Scouts Inc.
Archive

0208Drew.jpg
Getty ImagesEveryone in the NFC is hoping to experience this moment. Here's what they need to do to get there.

In early February, ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper released his team needs by conference, first the NFC version, then the AFC version. With the 2009-10 season in the books -- congrats, New Orleans Saints -- Gary Horton of Scouts Inc. is doing the same. While Kiper's articles focus on college players who may be good fits in Rounds 1-3 of the 2010 NFL draft, Horton focuses on the three key needs for each squad, by conference. This is the NFC version. To access the AFC version, click below. Keep checking back throughout the busy offseason and NFL draft season for more information from a variety of Insider voices on team needs, draft buzz and more.

NFC | AFC

[h3]NFC East[/h3]
dal.gif
Dallas Cowboys

Top needs:
1. OT: The Cowboys are old and slow on the perimeter of the offensive line and they are really susceptible to speed rushers off the edge. Both tackles, Flozell Adams and Marc Colombo, lack quickness and they are near the end of their careers. Backup OT Doug Free could possibly step into this lineup, but even if he turns out to be a good player the Cowboys need better and more athletic guys at both OT positions.

2. DS: Starters Ken Hamlin and Gerald Sensabaugh are solid veterans who do not make a lot of mistakes, but they also don't make a lot of impact plays. They need a free safety with range who is a big-play difference-maker -- and in today's NFL those guys can make a defense!

3. WR: Roy Williams has not lived up to his $9 million a year salary, but the Cowboys did get good years out of surprise WR Miles Austin and No. 3 WR Patrick Crayton, and they have high hopes for young Kevin Ogletree ... but where is the guy that holds it all together, is on the same page as QB Tony Romo, and makes the clutch catch when they need one?

Other needs: ILB, CB, DT

nyg.gif
New York Giants

Top needs:
1. S: No depth behind starters Kenny Phillips and Michael Johnson. Phillips is coming off injury and Johnson did not play with consistency; the team would like to move DS/CB Aaron Ross back to fulltime corner. In 2009, offenses attacked the deep middle of NYG's defense with regularity and safety coverage was marginal.

2. ILB: Starter Antonio Pierce is a liability in coverage and his age and durability are factors. Run stopping is nice, but they need a three-down guy who doesn't have to come off the field in pass situations. Honestly, they need depth at all three LB positions.

3. DT: Fred Robbins is an unrestricted free agent and may not be asked back; Chris Canty makes too much money for marginal production and durability, but he may be back. Barry Cofield is serviceable, and Jay Alford has a nice upside if he is healthy (knee). They need a dominating inside space-eater and penetrator along with quality depth.

Other needs: OG/OT, OLB

phi.gif
Philadelphia Eagles

Top needs:
1. S: The Eagles have never replaced the production and leadership of Brian Dawkins (now in Denver) and in this defense safeties have a lot of responsibilities. This secondary gave up 27 touchdown passes in 2009 and made very few impact plays in the middle of the field.

2. DE: They have one quality edge rusher, RDE Trent Cole, and their other guys are quality run-stoppers who are sound but unspectacular. The Eagles need an everyday LDE who can play on all three downs and give them an outside rush to go along with Cole.

3. OLB: Starters Will Witherspoon (short-term veteran fix) and Moise Fokou (OK versus pass, but better run defender) played late in 2009, but neither is a difference-maker and there is a real need here for a young athletic guy who can rush, cover and create more big plays.

Other needs: RB, MLB, CB, OT/OG

was.gif
Washington ********

Top needs:
1. OT: LT Chris Samuels will likely retire and RT Stephon Heyer is inconsistent at both OT spots -- but he is not terrible. He is a restricted free agent and will likely be tendered and given one more year to improve. Levi Jones is an unrestricted free agent and not the answer at LT.

2. QB: What does the new coaching staff do with Jason Campbell? His contract could be up, but is he a guy you give one more shot to? He has good physical skills, but his supporting cast and coaching continuity has always been suspect. It's a big decision for this franchise and new coach Mike Shanahan.

3. RB: Shanahan knows Clinton Portis well, but that doesn't guarantee anything. Portis looks like an "old" 29-year-old back with durability issues and a questionable work ethic. Backup LaDell Betts is 30 and is coming off of knee surgery -- this is not a real stable position right now.

Other needs: OG, C, CB, S

[h3]NFC West[/h3]
ari.gif
Arizona Cardinals

Top needs:
1. OLB: This is a good sack defense, but most of those don't come from the OLBs. Aging guys Bertrand Berry, Clark Haggans and Chike Okeafor are near the end of their runs -- and Berry and Okeafor are unrestricted free agents. Even ILB Karlos Dansby wants a huge new contract that he may not get. They need a dynamic young 3-4 OLB to come off the edge.

2. LT: Starter Mike Gandy finished the season on IR and he is an unrestricted free agent at the end of his career; his backup Jeremy Bridges struggled down the stretch. In a pass-heavy offense with an immobile QB, blindside pass protection is critical.

3. TE: This dynamic offense has not had a TE in the Dallas Clark mold. Imagine the matchup problems if they had a guy who could motion and flex and give them another option in an already wide-open passing game -- this should be a "pass-catcher" need.

Other needs: CB, DT, QB (is Matt Leinart the guy here?)

sfo.gif
San Francisco 49ers

Top needs:
1. OT: Left tackle Joe Staley is a good one as he comes back from knee surgery; the problems are on the right side -- where Adam Snyder is not good enough in pass protection and his balance and range are questionable. An athletic starting right tackle would allow Snyder to be a swing guy and would give the 49ers two good bookend tackles.

2. S/CB: This secondary is not bad, but it lacks great speed and pass matchup capabilities. There are a lot of decent veteran guys as role players who may be salary cap casualties or just not brought back -- guys like DS Mark Roman, CB Walt Harris, CB Dre Bly and CB Nate Clements (who has a big 2010 salary) -- as they try to get younger and more athletic on the back end.

3. OLB: This is really a pass rush need out of the 3-4 scheme and although the 49ers have a nice three-man nickel edge rush rotation (Manny Lawson, Parys Haralson and Ahmad Brooks) they could use another hybrid guy that could play a 3-4 rush LB, but also move to DE in four-man fronts.

Other needs: NT, WR

sea.gif
Seattle Seahawks

Top needs:
1. DE: The anemic pass rush in 2009 had a trickle-down effect on all parts of the Seahawks' defense. Veteran Patrick Kerney has constant injury issues and the other starter, Brandon Mebane, is a converted DT who provides little pass rush pressure. There is a big need for an athletic speed guy off the edge.

2. OT: Left offensive tackle Walter Jones missed the 2009 season -- how much does he have left in the tank? Good pass-rushers dominate this unit and the Seahawks linemen are really susceptible on the edges. They could use help at both OT positions, but a guy to groom as Jones' replacement to protect Matt Hasselbeck would be nice.

3. RB: This offense needs more explosiveness. They do not have a back who can take over a run game. They never adjusted to their zone blocking schemes, although new O-line coach Alex Gibbs will help in that area. Where is the guy that can give them 20-plus carries a game and take the pressure off Hasselbeck?

Other needs: QB, S, CB, DT

stl.gif
St. Louis Rams

Top needs:
1. QB: Marc Bulger is aging, he has no weapons, injuries have taken their toll and he has an $8.5 million salary due in 2010. Is backup Keith Null an answer? Do the Rams look at free agency or do they think draft?

2. DT: They have a horrible track record at drafting defensive linemen; they need a penetrating difference-maker inside -- and both starting DEs are also free agents.

3. WR: No clear-cut No. 1 guy and they don't scare anybody in the passing game. Donnie Avery has not progressed enough, so what you have here is a bunch of mid-level guys, but not a difference-maker.

Other needs: CB, S, OLB, TE

[h3]NFC North[/h3]
chi.gif
Chicago Bears

Top needs:
1. OG/OT: The key is where Frank Omiyale winds up -- OG or OT -- but he has been mostly a career backup. RT Kevin Shaffer is also a weak link in this unit and should be no more than a backup or a swing OT. If they can find a solid RT, that would upgrade this group.

2. FS: They have several physical strong safeties, but they are missing a range guy in the middle of the field who can tackle -- and also cover. They want to re-sign FS Danieal Manning (but a lot of his production is as a returner). But a guy who can match up in sub packages would give this pass defense more flexibility.

3. DE: Their best pass-rusher, LDE Adewale Ogunleye, is an unrestricted free agent and he is likely gone, which is not a huge loss. Gaines Adams tragically passed away and Mark Anderson has not shown a lot of big plays. This unit needs a speed rusher off the edge with a real motor.

Other needs: CB, WR, RB, OLB

det.gif
Detroit Lions

Top needs:
1. DT/DE: They need help inside and outside -- they failed to generate any kind of a four-man pass rush in 2009 and they can't stop the run. They need a run-stuffing DT or an edge rusher with double-digit sack potential.

2. CB: The only difference-maker in the secondary is safety Louis Delmas. With a poor pass rush they are forced to blitz, but they have marginal cover guys behind it and they are last in pass defense. Several of their veteran CBs are free agents, so getting a young guy this offseason would be huge.

3. RB: Kevin Smith is coming off an injury-plagued season and may have lost his explosiveness and big-play ability. The Lions need a productive run game to take pressure off the passing game and a physical and durable 20-plus-carry back would be welcome.

Other needs: OT, SS, DE

gnb.gif
Green Bay Packers

Top needs:
1. OT: The Packers got as much as they could out of their aging tackles, Chad Clifton and Mark Tauscher, but both are starting to break down and good edge rushers really exploit them. Both could leave in free agency. Young backup T.J. Lang has a lot of promise, but Allen Barbre really struggled in seven starts even though he has a lot of physical skills.

2. CB: They have had an excellent pair of veteran cover corners for years in Al Harris and Charles Woodson -- but age is starting to become a factor. Tramon Williams is better as a nickel corner instead of a starter and the other backups have some skills, but not consistent production. In this defense a man-to-man shutdown corner is a big benefit.

3. RB: Ryan Grant always starts slow and finishes fast. His backups, Brandon Jackson and DeShawn Wynn, have injury issues and this team needs a workhorse back who can take over a game.

Other needs: C, OG, OLB, S

min.gif
Minnesota Vikings

Top needs:
1. C/OG: This is a good O-line, but there are concerns at OG and ROG. C John Sullivan is smart and makes the calls, but he struggles with physicality versus 3-4 defenses. ROG Anthony Herrera is a somewhat up-and-down player. A guy that has strength and toughness and could play C or OG would be welcome.

2. DT: They need to find an heir apparent to replace aging Pat Williams. This defense asks its DTs to eat up blockers and take on double-teams, which frees up the DEs and LBs to fly to the ball and make plays. An inside pass rush is a bonus, but the Vikes need a big body inside who can team with Kevin Williams.

3. QB: Does Brett Favre come back for one more year? Does Brad Childress have any confidence in Tarvaris Jackson and Sage Rosenfels? Do they find a young guy to groom or look for a stopgap in free agency? It is likely that both Jackson and Rosenfels will both be back, but they will likely spend another offseason waiting for Favre to make a decision.

Other needs: CB, MLB, OLB, RB

[h3]NFC South[/h3]
atl.gif
Atlanta Falcons

Top needs:
1. CB: This group struggled the entire 2009 season and their man skills were so bad that they had to change to more conservative cover schemes. They have youth on their side, but they were also injury prone. They need a shutdown-type corner who can take a No. 1 receiver out of the game.

2. OLB: This is a defense that doesn't force a lot of turnovers or make big plays. Both OLB starters are decent -- Stephen Nicholas and Mike Peterson -- but Peterson is not great in coverage. An athletic space guy with pass rush/coverage skills would be a nice fit.

3. DE: Starters John Abraham (5.5 sacks) and Jamaal Anderson (.5 sacks) underachieve, but Abraham may have one good year left. Youngsters Kroy Biermann and Lawrence Sidbury have some upside, but a dynamic double-digit sack pass-rusher would be a nice fit.

Other needs: OG, C, WR, RB, TE (to replace Tony Gonzalez)

car.gif
Carolina Panthers

Top needs:
1. WR: This offense has one passing-game playmaker, Steve Smith, and he gets virtually no help on the perimeter. That makes the Panthers easy to defend. Muhsin Muhammad is 37, slow -- and an unrestricted free agent. They really need a third slot receiver, and could ideally use two guys here.

2. DT: Four of these guys wound up on injured reserve in 2009 and the position was a disaster. If their best guy, Maake Kemoeatu, recovers from an Achilles injury, that will obviously help a lot. And also if 32-year-old Damione Lewis can put together another good year ... but that's a lot of ifs and there is not much behind them.

3. QB: This could easily be perceived as the No. 1 need, but Carolina doesn't ask its QB to carry the offense and that may give young Matt Moore a shot to be the "game manager." Will Jake Delhomme return as a backup or will the Panthers start over at the QB position?

Other needs: NT, WR

nor.gif
New Orleans Saints

Top needs:
1. OLB: This is an opportunistic defense that creates turnovers, but it does not play with consistency. The Saints have decent guys at OLB, like Scott Fujita (a free agent) and Scott Shanle, but neither are real playmakers and the backups are just average. On a defense that likes to blitz, the Saints need a guy who can play the run, but also rush off the edge.

2. DT: Sedrick Ellis starts and is a former first-round pick, but his lack of dynamic production forces the need to pick another guy at this position. This is a defense that needs to get better versus the run and the DTs are supposed to eat up blockers and free the LBs to make plays. There are injury and durability concerns within this unit.

3. OT: The inside of this O-line is rock solid, but there are concerns on the edges at both tackle spots with Jammal Brown's injury. Jermon Bushrod was thrown into the lineup and he struggled with speed rushers off the edge; Jon Stinchcomb is still a good player, but his skills off the edge do not dazzle you. A good young insurance policy who could play either spot and be groomed slowly would be nice.

Other needs: CB, S, DE

tam.gif
Tampa Bay Buccaneers

Top needs:
1. DT/DE: They need an inside run-stuffer who can penetrate and their best edge rusher, Jimmy Wilkerson, is an unrestricted free agent. A year ago none of these players fit the Jim Bates two-gap scheme, but they are now back to the Tampa 2 penetrating defense and an upfront "disrupter" would be ideal.

2. WR: This offense wants to add weapons for young QB Josh Freeman. Their best guy, Antonio Bryant, is an unrestricted free agent and he has a questionable knee. Michael Clayton is overpaid and he underproduces, and Maurice Stovall lacks starting skills. The team needs to find a dynamic young difference-maker.

3. OG: Josh Freeman needs better protection and the guys up front didn't get the job done in 2009. OLG Arron Sears (concussion) was sorely missed and backup Jeremy Zuttah is not a starter-caliber guy. Sears may or may not be ready and inside pass protection is a key for the Bucs.

Other needs: CB, S, OT
[/h3]

I don't see what the big deal is about those two in particular.

NYJ - There are questions about if they are going to have TJ back next year, and L-Boogie is coming off of a broken leg. So RB would be a need going into the draft. And NT, Kris Jenkins ain't getting any younger, has a history of injuries AND just missed the last 3 months or so of the season due to a torn ACL. So, NT might be a place they need to look.

Raiders....come on man, they need everything. If your a Raider fan, are you content w/ a WR core of JLH, Lou Murphy, DHB and Shilens? PK though? Hell no, they got Bassy
pimp.gif
(Yes homer)

But as a whole, I don't pay scouts inc. too much attention

Yeah the Raiders have the best Special Teams in the league so the PK comment made no sense. The Raiders have a ton of other holes to fill before PK. After PK, the most secured spot on the team is RB and WR. Schillens is a man, and you will see that in the next few years, he is going to be VERY good. Not to mention that Louis Murphy showed a ton of promise this season, that boy has something to prove like Mike Mitchell and played VERY hard, all year. To list two positions that are secure right now makes 0 sense IMO, I was just pointing that out as being one of the biggest gaffes I saw.

I suppose you could be right about the Jets, I was thinking NT was a bad idea because of Jenkins, I suppose you could be right about his age but how easily do you find a NT like him? They made it to the AFC Champ game without him, I'm sure they will be MUCH better with him in there...I dunno, you don't think the backup did a good enough job? And I can see what you're saying about the RB's, to be honest I wouldn't even keep Jones and I'd just draft a guy late in the 6th or 7th, that should be good enough...if they even want one

Yeah the Raiders have the best Special Teams in the league so the PK comment made no sense. The Raiders have a ton of other holes to fill before PK. After PK, the most secured spot on the team is RB and WR. Schillens is a man, and you will see that in the next few years, he is going to be VERY good. Not to mention that Louis Murphy showed a ton of promise this season, that boy has something to prove like Mike Mitchell and played VERY hard, all year. To list two positions that are secure right now makes 0 sense IMO, I was just pointing that out as being one of the biggest gaffes I saw.

I suppose you could be right about the Jets, I was thinking NT was a bad idea because of Jenkins, I suppose you could be right about his age but how easily do you find a NT like him? They made it to the AFC Champ game without him, I'm sure they will be MUCH better with him in there...I dunno, you don't think the backup did a good enough job? And I can see what you're saying about the RB's, to be honest I wouldn't even keep Jones and I'd just draft a guy late in the 6th or 7th, that should be good enough...if they even want one
The jets needs are in no way rb or nt. Could they use a nt for when jenkins is gone? Yeah or cause he gets hurt some seasons yeah but there are other needs that need starters now

Eric Berry at 7? 
eek.gif
laugh.gif

Browns fans would be lookin like all them white girls when the Beatles were on back in the day. 

Back
Top Bottom