Official 10' NFL Offseason Thread: CIN sign T.O. 1yr/2m

Originally Posted by air max 87

AH to the jets? isnt it known that AH doesnt like the 3-4?

im assuming he would be the NT and Jenkins the End...........

I dont see lions doing #2 for AH straight up.... while they said they might take Suh/Mcoy they also said they may trade down and grab an OL....

And i dont care what anyone says, the Rams are takin sam bradford, all this smoke their blowing talking about they may or may not is BS.....

I think so too you can't go three years in the top five of the draft and not take a qb.

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

what's stopping a ******** vs. jets super bowl?
That quote should of been banned years ago from these parts
laugh.gif

If Ben doesn't face chargers, I still don't see how he can be a franchise QB for the rest of his career in Pitt. That city has turned on him, quicker than I ever imagined.

So wait, the Jets got Antonio Cromartie, Ladanian Tomlinson, and they plan on picking up Jason Taylor. They're also looking into Albert Haynesworth, AND they have to pay the current players on the team more money. Can the Jets afford all of this?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pithttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit
Sources: Santonio Holmes facing four-game suspension

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2010 11:24 AM ET

Late Friday afternoon brought good news for the Pittsburgh Steelers, with the report from ESPN that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't be charged with sexual assault in Milledgeville, Georgia.

Now for the bad news.

Multiple sources have advised us that receiver Santonio Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the league's substance-abuse policy.  It's presently unknown whether Holmes tested positive for a prohibited substance or committed some other violation of the policy, such as missing a required test.  It's our current understanding that the internal NFL appeals process has not been finalized.

Under the substance-abuse policy, a four-game suspension comes after multiple violations.  The fact that Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, is facing a four-game suspension means that Holmes previously has paid a fine in the amount of three seventeenths of his base salary (i.e., three game checks).

Though we're not aware of the specific identity of the substance involved, Holmes has a history with marijuana.  In 2008, he was cited for marijuana possession, prompting the Steelers to suspend him for one game with pay.  Recently, he posted on Twitter a message indicating an intention to "wake n bake," slang for smoking marijuana upon getting out of bed.

Holmes also has recently been accused of throwing a drink in the face of a woman at an Orlando nightclub.  The alleged victim has both sued Holmes and pursued criminal liability, after indicating on the scene that she did not want to press charges.  His lawyer has denied the accusations, recently claiming that a witness has signed a sworn statement taking responsibility for throwing the drink.  The suspension Holmes faces arose independently of this alleged incident.

Originally Posted by h3at23

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pithttp://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=pit
Sources: Santonio Holmes facing four-game suspension

Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2010 11:24 AM ET

Late Friday afternoon brought good news for the Pittsburgh Steelers, with the report from ESPN that quarterback Ben Roethlisberger won't be charged with sexual assault in Milledgeville, Georgia.

Now for the bad news.

Multiple sources have advised us that receiver Santonio Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the league's substance-abuse policy.  It's presently unknown whether Holmes tested positive for a prohibited substance or committed some other violation of the policy, such as missing a required test.  It's our current understanding that the internal NFL appeals process has not been finalized.

Under the substance-abuse policy, a four-game suspension comes after multiple violations.  The fact that Holmes, the MVP of Super Bowl XLIII, is facing a four-game suspension means that Holmes previously has paid a fine in the amount of three seventeenths of his base salary (i.e., three game checks).

Though we're not aware of the specific identity of the substance involved, Holmes has a history with marijuana.  In 2008, he was cited for marijuana possession, prompting the Steelers to suspend him for one game with pay.  Recently, he posted on Twitter a message indicating an intention to "wake n bake," slang for smoking marijuana upon getting out of bed.

Holmes also has recently been accused of throwing a drink in the face of a woman at an Orlando nightclub.  The alleged victim has both sued Holmes and pursued criminal liability, after indicating on the scene that she did not want to press charges.  His lawyer has denied the accusations, recently claiming that a witness has signed a sworn statement taking responsibility for throwing the drink.  The suspension Holmes faces arose independently of this alleged incident.
C'mon man
smh.gif

[h1]24 hours later, no confirmation of report that Roethlisberger won't face charges[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on April 10, 2010 8:40 PM ET

Ocmulgee (Ga.) Judicial Circuit District Attorney Fred Bright will announce on Monday his decision regarding whether charges will be pursued against Steelers quarterback Ben Roethlisberger.  On Friday evening, ESPN reported that Bright will announce that charges won't be pursued.

Said Bright in response, per Sean Leahy of USA Today:  "I don't know where they're getting that information.  I haven't announced anything yet.  I'll make my announcement at 2 p.m. Monday."

Bright's response doesn't constitute a confirmation or a denial of the ESPN report.  But more than 24 hours after ESPN reported its, um, report, no one else has "confirmed" it.  On one hand, it's possible that other news outlets are reluctant to confirm the report because ESPN's initial report would, in all fairness, have to be acknowledged.  Then again, other news outlets could do what ESPN has done on many occasions in the past -- merely use the word "confirmation" without reference to the initial ESPN report.

And here's something else to keep in mind.  On July 17, 2007, ESPN reported that Mike Vick was "unlikely to be indicted" on federal charges relating to gambling and dogfighting.  And, on July 17, 2007, Vick was indicted on federal charges relating to gambling and dogfighting.

Though we've got no reason to believe that legal lightning will strike ESPN twice, it's odd that, with the announcement roughly 40 hours away, no one else has been able to get anyone with knowledge of Bright's decision to blab.

And that leads us to the only reality about which we're now certain.  Whatever the decision, Bright undoubtedly will be accepting the recommendation made by the Georgia Bureau of Investigation.  There's simply no way that Bright would contradict after only three days work that consumed more than a month, especially since Bright routinely must work with these same authorities in virtually every other prosecution.  

Moreover, if Bright planned to summarily ignore the conclusions of the GBI, more people would be talking.  Those who spent weeks gathering evidence would be upset, and they'd be voicing their displeasure.

At that brings us back to the borderline bizarre remarks of April 2 from GBI spokesman John Bankhead.

"There are a lot of people out there reporting things and repeating things that just are not true," Bankhead said. "They'll be eating crow later.  It may taste delicious like Thanksgiving turkey now, but later on, when the facts come out, it'll taste like eating crow." 

The purpose of Bankhead's remarks remains unclear.  No one has criticized the GBI, and the media for the most part has played this thing down the middle.  Though some (like us) have considered the case from the important perspective of the Court of Public Opinion, the GBI has not received the kind of criticism that some (like us) levied on Virginia prosecutor Gerald Poindexter, who arguably was dragging his feet in connection with the Vick investigation.

Either way, it appears that Bankhead's prediction will come to fruition on Monday.  And maybe when it does we'll all know precisely what in the hell Bankhead was talking about.

Originally Posted by TeflanDon

So wait, the Jets got Antonio Cromartie, Ladanian Tomlinson, and they plan on picking up Jason Taylor. They're also looking into Albert Haynesworth, AND they have to pay the current players on the team more money. Can the Jets afford all of this?
The joy of short-term deals and no salary cap.
pimp.gif

LT -  2 years 5mill
Cromartie - last year of rookie deal ($1.7mill)
Taylor's max contract can only be 2years, 3.3 mill
And to my understanding, Haynesworth's deal would boil down to 3 yrs, $16mill

Now, when the Jets key guys (Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Edwards, Cromartie) start looking for extensions, all within the next 3-4 years, that's when things could get
sick.gif

provided, of course, that the salary cap gets reinstated.
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

pimp.gif

LT -  2 years 5mill

Now, when the Jets key guys (Revis, Mangold, Brick, Harris, Edwards, Cromartie) start looking for extensions, all within the next 3-4 years, that's when things could get
sick.gif

nerd.gif

How do you drop from $100 Million to only $16 Million? Did he screw up that badly last year?

Originally Posted by dmxfury

If Ben doesn't face chargers, I still don't see how he can be a franchise QB for the rest of his career in Pitt. That city has turned on him, quicker than I ever imagined.
Nnamdi for Ben...
nerd.gif

Originally Posted by Mr Fizzy Womack

pimp.gif

LT -  2 years 5mill

sick.gif

nerd.gif

How do you drop from $100 Million to only $16 Million? Did he screw up that badly last year?
2/27/2009: Signed a seven-year, $100 million contract. The deal contains $41 million guaranteed, including a $5 million signing bonus and his 2009-2011 base salaries. Haynesworth is due a $29 million "poison pill" in 2013, effectively making it a four-year, $48.2 million deal. Another $15 million is available through incentives.

2010: $3.6 million (+ $21 million guaranteed option bonus due 4/1),
2011: $5.4 million,
2012: $6.7 million (+ $500,000 workout bonus),
2013: $8.5 million (+ $20 million "discretionary signing bonus" + $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31 = Poison Pill Year),
2014: $10.3 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31),
2015: $11.5 million (+ $500,000 roster bonus due 8/31),
2016: Free Agent

http://www.rotoworld.com/...px?sport=NFL&id=2636

Haynesworth got paid his $21 million bonus, but reports are saying that, if he were to be traded the ******** would want the other team to pay some portion of that $21 mill back... on top of whatever pick(s)/players they trade for Haynesworth.

DontStepOnMyShoes wrote:

Nnamdi for Ben...
nerd.gif

Interesting
nerd.gif
.... but Ben still has life left with the Steelers and I don't think the organization is ready to hand over the franchise to Dixon just yet.

Yeah it's been bad the past few years, but nothing to really warrant getting rid of him imo.

^ Dixon isnt going to be our franchise QB. And Nnamdi will want to too much money, but he does fit the Steelers mold imo. We'll find a no-name CB or draft one. We rarely take in established players. As far Holmes potentially facing 4-game suspension, oh well. ARE is back and Mike Wallace is coming along plus Hines and Heath are here.

Ben isn't going anywhere. A few more last minute game winners and this city will forget all about this *#*$.

As far as Santoino goes, he better cool it if he wants a new contract. He now has next to no leverage in negotiations. We'll see what happens this season, though...

[h1]Steelers ship Santonio to the Jets[/h1]
Posted by Mike Florio on April 11, 2010 11:24 PM ET

What a strange weekend it has been for Santonio Holmes.

Yesterday, we reported that Holmes is facing a four-game suspension under the substance abuse policy.  Tonight, we're told that the Steelers have traded Holmes to the New York Jets.

More to come.

Originally Posted by TheGift23

Originally Posted by moneyisthemotive

what's stopping a ******** vs. jets super bowl?
That quote should of been banned years ago from these parts
laugh.gif

i bet my bottom dollar niether team goes to the super bowl

Sanchez
LT
Green
Washington
Holmes
Edwards
Cotchery
Keller

Jets offense looks scary on paper.
sick.gif
 If Sanchez continues to progress as a QB, with their defense they gonna be a problem this season.

Not really, Edwards Cotch and Holmes > just Holmes and Cotch. We making moves. Im pretty sure with our first round pick we are either taking Taylor Mays or trading up for a pass rusher.

Back
Top Bottom