**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

Ya'll worship Gallo like he's the second coming of Jesus. Good for him for his game tonight, but he's inconsistent and lacks the lateral quickness to hang with more athletic forards. Lucky for him that he has a squad of goons who have his back on the defensive end. He's scrappy, but his lateral quickness is suspect.

And as far as that article, shoot, I wouldnt even put it past Shawne or AC to say that. It's about time this team takes some defensive initiative.

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Random thought (listening to ESPN Radio, Stephen A. Smith talking):

If the Orlando Magic lose to the Atlanta Hawks, there's reason to believe Stan Van Gundy will be fired.

..do we have a shot/ should we try and sign him?
We already get the worse calls in the league. We don't need SVG to make things worse.
QFT

MARK JACKSON. just get it #+!*@%+ done already. i didnt want Mike from the start and its true to this day. IMO there are not any good current coaches out there for our head coaching job, and D'Antoni is probably the worst of all of them. He is notroiously bad at D, stubborn as $#%#, and he is an offensive guru so they say who cant manage a game or draw up a #+!*@%+ play $#%# is #+!*@%+ ridiculous. He honestly brings nothing to the table, and after this last playoff series i dont even think he is a good motivator at all which is the bare minimum you need to be a successful coach.

sure jackson is a "risk" because he hasnt coached in the NBA or whatever, and maybe one can say it is a risk, but imo he by far has the highest possible reward out of it considering the guys out there. He is a smart coach who is dying for an oppurtunity especially in  NY, he is smart and i am sure he will be good with the Xs and Os and running an effective system/drawing up plays (or at least better than D'Antoni), but at the very least i am sure he will get the best effort out of our team night in and out.

$#%# is #+!*@%+ ridiculous by now, dudes on the team calling him out after a playoff game where we looked lost for 75% of the game and now it comes out that the one part of the game where we actually looked like a team that possibly belonged in the NBa let alone the playoffs was when the players kind of took matters to their own hands. I #+!*@%+ bet you it was a vet who has been there also like Anthony Carter or Roger Mason Jr. I am saying and have been saying that Mike D'Antoni really brings NOTHING to the table. He is awful at defense, overated at offense, cant manage a game, cant draw up a play, his system is so easy to predict, he isnt motivating these guys, and the list just goes on. Mike D'antoni really does not belong here.

I know im gonna get my fair share of people who disagree but this $#%# is ridiculous by now and im gonna stick with it until it actually happens. Mark Jackson should coach the Knicks next season... at the very least it should not be D'Antoni though

EDIT: and btw alot of people here playing the "Mark Jackson has no experience" card are alot of the same people endorsing that we should go after Doc Rivers who is this close to retiring. but i would like to point out that Doc's first coaching job right off the bat was the head coaching job for the Orlando Magic, just three years after her retired, AND he won NBA's coach of the year. Mark Jackson has been retired for more than 3 years now, he hasnt coached but he has at least spent his time around NBA games all year long getting a chance to look at and break down every team in the NBA as a commentator/analyst, AND Doc Rivers wasnt half the savvy/smart point guard that Mark Jackson was ever since he came into the league out of St. Johns.

So im just reiterating, its not like Jackson would be the first dude to ever take an NBA head coaching job without coaching anywhere before. And we should stop being so stubborn because he has a great job at TNT and there is no way he is gonna leave that for an assistant coaching job and it would be foolish to pass up on a potentially great coach who could take this team somewhere just because we want him to be an assistant coach somewhere before taking over because it wont happen. Sometimes you gotta give amateurs a chance, some of the great men in every profession throughout history have achieved greatness without much prior experience.

Mark Jackson played on the 90s teams where they played physical defense.

Mark Jackson is top 3 in NBA history in assists so he would preach ball movement and unselfishness

Mark Jackson is a New Yorker.

Mark Jackson did what Doug Collins did before going for the Sixers which was watch every team in the league and see their weaknesses and strengths.

Mark Jackson isn't a punk so he would gain the respect of players.

He's a Knick legend so the fans would love him (as long as we're winning of course)

Mark Jackson was a PG so IF we get CP3, he could build an offense where he could thrive with 2 other stars.

I agree with the Gr8. He would be a great choice as head coach. His inexperience doesn't bother me because everyone has to start somewhere. Phil Jackson was a success within a short amount of time with the Bulls. Yeah he had MJ/Scottie/Rodman but when he first got to Chicago, it was basically MJ and a bunch of garbage players.

Just to make it that much more interesting, is Jackson still your guys choice if JVG wants the job? Personally I don't think he would go for the same job as Jackson but who knows. Both would be very interesting IMO. Will be interesting to see how JVG has changed his style after being a commentator this whole time. While others may say he's stubborn, JVGs coaching style will be much different 2nd time around the block IMO, big question is whether his Xs and Os will be

Originally Posted by RuffRydya08

Just to make it that much more interesting, is Jackson still your guys choice if JVG wants the job? Personally I don't think he would go for the same job as Jackson but who knows. Both would be very interesting IMO. Will be interesting to see how JVG has changed his style after being a commentator this whole time. While others may say he's stubborn, JVGs coaching style will be much different 2nd time around the block IMO, big question is whether his Xs and Os will be

Dog, Van Gundy is a joke, his players barely respect his word.  He's too soft and emotional to coach in the NBA, let alone in NYC.
I'll give it to Mark Jackson anyday, the dude doesn't mess around. He's disciplined, tough, and a hard worker; for a better lack of words, he's a New Yorker. Bring him in

Although I would not mind waiting for Phil Jackson, I do not believe he is done yet, he's just done with the Lakers.

I look forward to DubA complaining about how Jackson only says "hand down, man down" when they mic him up, much like D'Antoni repeats "Let's go" over and over

Mark Jackson is not a good choice because experienced coaches win championships. The window for the Knicks to win one is like the next 3-4 years. JVG is better choice. He was never able to get Houston out of the first round because of injuries. And if the Knicks had a decent center(LJ was guarding Duncan) in 99 we would've won a championship already.

man...even though i'm a Celtics fan i feel for you guys...the Chargers are on the same *+!%+%++ as the Knicks. as long as AJ Smith has power here we won't get rid of Norv !*%!+@! Turner. seems like a similar situation in NY...

Um. Gallo's always been inconsistent, but at least he drives to the hoop now; something mike could NEVER get him to do.

A bit exaggerated, but still. And his lateral quickness is fine IMO. it just needs a bit more...polishing.

Originally Posted by BangDak

Um. Gallo's always been inconsistent, but at least he drives to the hoop now; something mike could NEVER get him to do.

A bit exaggerated, but still. And his lateral quickness is fine IMO. it just needs a bit more...polishing.

Gallo was driving more and more as this season progressed. His game was definitely developing and will continue to do so in Denver.

IF you hire Mark Jackson you better be DAMN sure he's going to work. Because if not... you will have ruined this teams window to have legitimate success.

JVG.. overlooking the fact he won't work with Dolan and Dolan won't hire him....no.... He is bizarro D'Antoni, his offense is absolutely trash. (seriously D'Antoni's defenses over the years grade out better than JVG offenses)

If you take 2 stars and a team that is mediocre defensively and turn into above average -- that's great..That IS what we're looking for. The problem with JVG is he will take 2 stars who are great offensively and a team that is above average on that end and turn it into a mediocre one.

There is no real pay-off to JVG.

I want balance at this point since we have Amare and Melo (if it was LeBron and ___ you could get away with a one sided coach like D'Antoni or a Mike Brown and win 60 games). With Melo and Amare, I don't think individually or the combo is smart enough or naturally unselfish enough as offensive player to figure things out on their own if you give them a JVG or Mike Brown. And on the flip side you can't have a D'Antoni anymore because they need to be coached up defensively.

I still don't know who would be available. Rick Adelman from that balance stand point seems most logical. He's had top tier offensives and defenses. But always comes up short in the playoffs..basically, there is no perfect candidate.

Phil Jackson was a success within a short amount of time with the Bulls
he also paid his dues as a coach in the CBA. Mark Jackson has just been sitting around thinking someone should hand him a job? why? Patrick Ewing has been out paying his dues for years and cant' get even get a job interview. Had Mark Jackson took an assistant coaching gig by now or even was a head coach in the NBDL for a year to get his feet wet, I'd be much more receptive to him being the next coach.

guys idk how the whole coaching thing works but from what al3xis just said im thinking why dont they keep dantoni as the coach and hire mark as a defensive assistant? If dantoni acts up by saying he/the team doesn't want/need a new D.A(because of his brother) then threaten to cut him. I mean dan is his brother and all but this is NOT working

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I look forward to DubA complaining about how Jackson only says "hand down, man down" when they mic him up, much like D'Antoni repeats "Let's go" over and over

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
word

i'm defubitly not calling for mark jackson. if he wanted to coach badly enough he should swallow his pride and go be an assistant somewhere first. i could see our stars tuning him out quick

Originally Posted by youngin33

Originally Posted by BangDak

Gallo was driving more and more as this season progressed. His game was definitely developing and will continue to do so in Denver.

Yeah and he was also starting to get to the line consistently

Isn't it sad though that our "stars" have such an impact on every facet of management? I love having STAT and Melo on the team but sometimes their egos get irritating. I know most stars in the league are that way but dudes need to get over themselves.

if anybody deserves a spot as a coach, it's Ewing.  He's worked his way up as an assistant with the best of em.  I like Marc Jackson, but he has no experience.  

Originally Posted by UPPTEMPO8387

Isn't it sad though that our "stars" have such an impact on every facet of management? I love having STAT and Melo on the team but sometimes their egos get irritating. I know most stars in the league are that way but dudes need to get over themselves.
Not sure if serious? Do you really want disgruntled stars on your team? Their attitudes are fine with me, but to each their own I guess.

Mark Jackson is NOT the answer. It would take AT LEAST TWO YEARS for him to get used to coaching an NBA team. I don't know about you guys but I'm over the "just give it a couple more years til everything meshes."

We need a coach who has the know-how to win NOW. Mark Jackson doesn't have that. You need an experienced coach.

What I'd give for Doug Collins right about now
ohwell.gif

Coaches I wouldn't be opposed to hiring (all available at the moment):

Sam Mitchell
Larry Brown
Hubie Brown
Lawrence Frank

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Mark Jackson is NOT the answer. It would take AT LEAST TWO YEARS for him to get used to coaching an NBA team. I don't know about you guys but I'm over the "just give it a couple more years til everything meshes."

We need a coach who has the know-how to win NOW. Mark Jackson doesn't have that. You need an experienced coach.

What I'd give for Doug Collins right about now
ohwell.gif

Coaches I wouldn't be opposed to hiring (all available at the moment):

Sam Mitchell
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Larry Brown
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif