**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

People here still wouldn't rather have Felton, Fields, Chandler, Gallo, and Stat?  That Melo trade was a disaster.  I would be 100x more optimistic and excited with that young, fun team.

Originally Posted by 10027

People here still wouldn't rather have Felton, Fields, Chandler, Gallo, and Stat?  That Melo trade was a disaster.  I would be 100x more optimistic and excited with that young, fun team.

But, but..."they wouldn't have anybody to take that last shot" 
laugh.gif

Could have had those guys grow together, have Amare dominate games as the number 1 option like he was doing, beat the Celtics first round (which I think they would/could have because of their athletisicm and speed) and then have everybody buzzing about this new, exciting, young Knicks team that teams were going to have trouble with next year. Which would then lead to either Melo signing with the Knicks in the summer without them losing their young pieces or them adding a Marc Gasol or another high profile player through free agency or trade. Instead they put out a slow-paced team with absolutely no depth that the Celtics could actually hang with athletically for a full series, make D'Antoni completely change how he coaches and now you're stuck with two guys who like to take mid-range jumpshots and post up and neither is a good passer.

Sigh... let's go through this one more time

Well we still have Fields and Stat... so cross them out. Felton is 26 years old and not getting any better, he had a good partial season with us but who knows how long he kept that up, not to mention he got way too trigger happy. Chandler was owed a contract, how much should the Knicks give him considering he and Gallo play the same position? Gallinari could be very good, but who knows... would he ever be better than Melo? Would Chandler AND Gallo be better than Melo combined?

So the young and exciting Knicks team could sign Melo in the offseason, ignoring the fact that EVERYTHING coming out of his camp indicated he wanted a new contract prior to this new CBA. So despite Melo seeing this young, exciting core, he didn't just shut up and play out his contract... nope, he demanded a trade and forced the Knicks hand. Plus, like I said... Chandler needed a contract which would take up cap space needed to sign Melo... OH AND MARC GASOL? The guy who loves playing in Memphis, who Memphis loves, and with what money would we sign Gasol? And yeah... Amare could have been able to keep dominating... except he was getting DESTROYED by logging so many minutes and having to do it all alone, Amre isn't exactly a 21 year old anymore... and no one could take over and dominate or close out a game... maybe Gallo or Chandler catches fire... or MAYBE in a few years they can, but right now there needed to be another superstar to help Amare.

Few Knicks fans will argue the trade was 100% successful, Melo's greed forced us to give up pieces we didn't need to and we still don't have a defensive presence or solid bench. But when fans who don't follow the team come in and blabber "oh the Knicks were so much better... that team could have been contenders" give me a break. It's easy to play the what-if game and say "this could have happened, then this could have happened" Bottomline is Melo wanted a new deal and a new team, with Chandler being a free agent we traded a 26 year old point guard who chucks 3's, a 25 year old unproven rookie big man in Mozgov, and Gallo.

Would I have loved to see the home grown Chandler and Gallo develop into a great combo? Or Felton, the country boy who embraced the big city become a great NY point guard? Sure... it would have been a great story and Toney Douglas being the longest tenured Knick is ridiculous, but what can you do? Stop being a Knicks fan because they traded those guys? PRETEND that somehow Melo is not as good as Chandler and Gallo? It's VERY easy to look back on the trade seeing the Knicks struggles following and say "OH NO THE KNICKS TRADE WAS AWFUL THAT TEAM COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT" when that's spinning the truth... there was no certainty in that core, no guarantees that team develops and stays together... so please, enough already.

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Originally Posted by 10027

But, but..."they wouldn't have anybody to take that last shot" 
laugh.gif

Could have had those guys grow together, have Amare dominate games as the number 1 option like he was doing, beat the Celtics first round (which I think they would/could have because of their athletisicm and speed) and then have everybody buzzing about this new, exciting, young Knicks team that teams were going to have trouble with next year. Which would then lead to either Melo signing with the Knicks in the summer without them losing their young pieces or them adding a Marc Gasol or another high profile player through free agency or trade. Instead they put out a slow-paced team with absolutely no depth that the Celtics could actually hang with athletically for a full series, make D'Antoni completely change how he coaches and now you're stuck with two guys who like to take mid-range jumpshots and post up and neither is a good passer.
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

so much wrong in there. we would have beaten the celtics with gallo chandelr and felton.  wow

melo would have been on the nets. period. he wanted his money. Then we would hear about how stupid the knicks were for holding on to a few guys that would never be close to as good as melo is.  Amare would collapse on the floor if he was the number one option on the knicks for another year.

dantoni had to change how he coached? GOOD. that's what a normal coach can do. It's called adjusting to your roster. Instead of forcing your system on a team.

What's the point of talking about how much you'd rather have Felton and the gang? It's been done, nothing you could do let it go. I swear, some of y'all sound like a bunch of drunken Irishmen with the way you hangout in the past.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

Sigh... let's go through this one more time

Well we still have Fields and Stat... so cross them out. Felton is 26 years old and not getting any better, he had a good partial season with us but who knows how long he kept that up, not to mention he got way too trigger happy. Chandler was owed a contract, how much should the Knicks give him considering he and Gallo play the same position? Gallinari could be very good, but who knows... would he ever be better than Melo? Would Chandler AND Gallo be better than Melo combined?

So the young and exciting Knicks team could sign Melo in the offseason, ignoring the fact that EVERYTHING coming out of his camp indicated he wanted a new contract prior to this new CBA. So despite Melo seeing this young, exciting core, he didn't just shut up and play out his contract... nope, he demanded a trade and forced the Knicks hand. Plus, like I said... Chandler needed a contract which would take up cap space needed to sign Melo... OH AND MARC GASOL? The guy who loves playing in Memphis, who Memphis loves, and with what money would we sign Gasol? And yeah... Amare could have been able to keep dominating... except he was getting DESTROYED by logging so many minutes and having to do it all alone, Amre isn't exactly a 21 year old anymore... and no one could take over and dominate or close out a game... maybe Gallo or Chandler catches fire... or MAYBE in a few years they can, but right now there needed to be another superstar to help Amare.

Few Knicks fans will argue the trade was 100% successful, Melo's greed forced us to give up pieces we didn't need to and we still don't have a defensive presence or solid bench. But when fans who don't follow the team come in and blabber "oh the Knicks were so much better... that team could have been contenders" give me a break. It's easy to play the what-if game and say "this could have happened, then this could have happened" Bottomline is Melo wanted a new deal and a new team, with Chandler being a free agent we traded a 26 year old point guard who chucks 3's, a 25 year old unproven rookie big man in Mozgov, and Gallo.

Would I have loved to see the home grown Chandler and Gallo develop into a great combo? Or Felton, the country boy who embraced the big city become a great NY point guard? Sure... it would have been a great story and Toney Douglas being the longest tenured Knick is ridiculous, but what can you do? Stop being a Knicks fan because they traded those guys? PRETEND that somehow Melo is not as good as Chandler and Gallo? It's VERY easy to look back on the trade seeing the Knicks struggles following and say "OH NO THE KNICKS TRADE WAS AWFUL THAT TEAM COULD HAVE BEEN GREAT" when that's spinning the truth... there was no certainty in that core, no guarantees that team develops and stays together... so please, enough already.
Well done.

we should have fired walsh and re-hired zeke last summer. had lebron never seen donnie walsh's wheelchair, he would be a knick
pimp.gif

bottom line is you had to make that trade... why pass up on top 10 talent for role players? only thing we lost really is our depth even though it was medicore at best before the trade 
laugh.gif
... i still don't think it would be a problem to get a third max... yall are sayin melo cost us a third max because of his contract 
laugh.gif
...we would have to sign him to max regardless even if it was last year so makes no difference... billups and turiaf will be free agents next year so thats easily 18mill off the books in 2012... regardless if we get a third max or not we could use that money instead on good bench players and solid starting pg and center for cheap
pimp.gif

forgot to add that we need a new coach... we not winning a championship with mike unless we play defense...knicks need a coach that goes on the players strength instead of the opposite with mike just going with players who shoot 3s all day
30t6p3b.gif
... this team just needs to play with more effort and defense on a consistent basis and mikes system doesn't fit that bill

The same people that said we were dumb for making the trade, Is the same people that said we was saying 5 months ago that we was stupid for not trading for him. Saying Gallo and Chandler are a dime a dozen.

I see 50 win this coming season

Originally Posted by CoupeIt88

Originally Posted by LosALMIGHTY

Chalk up D Will lack of star power to playing in Utah.

And if a hard cap is set at $45MM-$48MM that means every team will have to alter all of their salaries. Who's to say that Melo, Stat, and CP/Dwill won't come together like the 3 non-blondes and take less money overall to benefit to the team?

Until the CBA is done, everything is pure speculation.

1) You can't restructure a deal until the 3rd year of a contract
2) Even if it were possible, considering Melo's actions during the Melo drama, you think he's going to want to be paid less now?

It's sad to say but many of us wanted Melo because we just wanted to fill the void of not getting LeBron James. Melo & Stat won't work, there is no fluidity and cohesiveness. 

Maybe the Magic wouldn't want STAT, but maybe they would, we should at least try. Yes Stat would feel cheated but he'd be going back to Central Florida, I'm sure he wouldn't be as devastated. 

if a new hard cap of less then $50MM is put into place, EVERYONE is taking a paycut immediately. If that new cap will gradually be rolled out, we may still have a shot at CP3 and when its time to install the hard cap, all of their salaries can be restructured.

give melo and stat a full off season. I saw enough between the two to know they can work together. if i'm wrong, i'm wrong. either way, we are in a better place now than before the trade.

At certain parts of the season Stat and Melo played beautifully together , with a full off-season, training camp, and pre-season I can see them meshing very well. A healthy Chauncey would be nice also

darius morris measured over 6'5 with shoes on with only 5.3% body fat 
pimp.gif

and despite only measuring 6'7.5 (6'6 without shoes) kenneth faried had one of the highest standing reaches at the combine measuring 9'0 and only 6.3% body fat (great for a 4)
pimp.gif

also no 7 footers at combine, even with shoes
tired.gif

Are those the top 2 we're looking at right now? Selby and Darius Morris. With maybe Faried as that Jordan Hill pick?
grin.gif

Which one's supposed to be better?

Originally Posted by MrONegative

Are those the top 2 we're looking at right now? Selby and Darius Morris. With maybe Faried as that Jordan Hill pick?
grin.gif

Which one's supposed to be better?

i would say that Selby/Morris are our top 2 options if we go with a PG... personally i like morris though i think hell be the truth.

and were picking 17 in a horrific draft, not 8 in a much better draft so to label Faried a "Jordan Hill" pick would be unfair and stupid. wed probably be lucky to have Faried fall to 17 and he does everything that we need in a big man right now. Hes the best rebounder in the draft, is not soft,  hustles his %%% off, and he plays D AND help D, plus he can run the floor with ease. only problem is hes not a great scorer by any means (which we dont need) and hes a bit undersized but he makes up for that somewhat by his 9'0 standing reach which is what matters more when it comes to rebounding especially considering when vertical leaps come out im sure hell be higher than 90% of other 4s at the combine.

I would say that Faried is my guy right now, i think hs got that attitude that would get him mad love in NYC right away, and i think he would make an instant contribution in the rotation.

we need a guy like that, a kind of charles oakley to stoudemire's ewing. If we can fill that role with the #17 pick in a terrible draft, id call it a success
pimp.gif

EDIT: however if Jimmer or Bismark somehow fall to us (seems to be more likely Jimmer right now but both are unlikely) i say jump the gun and i also would not sleep on Chris Singleton as a potential pick, and maybe Charles Jenkins and a few others idk

he won't be around at 17

if thats related to Faried i would say hes less likely than Morris/Selby to be available at 17, especially because most teams picking in the teens are set at PG. but i would still say hes more likely to be availabke than not, i would say like 60/40 or even 65/35.

i mean most people have alot of other 4s like the morris twins, kanter, tristan thompson, jonas, donatas, bismark, etc over him and thats just people who play his position. i mean who knows? some teams may even have other ranked higher than him if they are looking for a big body/offense or post game more than rebounding/defense/hustle. we happen to need the latter which is why id take faried over a bunch of other pfs because of how well he would fit but not every team has the same needs as us. for example if a team like cleveland looks for a big man theyre more likely prioritizing an offesnive game more than hustle attributes cause they already got vareajo but no scorers. we have the scorers which os why i feel like getting a big man like faried would be great for us, or a point like morris who is big and a distrubtor more than a scoring type... like im not even saying that faried/morris will be 100% certain the 2 best players available when we pick. i just think that they play the positions we are looking to upgrade the most and they fit in the best with what kind of players we are looking for. why get more big men who cant get dirty or play d? why get a point whose gonna chuck up shots all day when we already have 2 of the probably top 5 scorers in the NBA? You gotta draft based on your strengths/needs and thats why i think Faried or Morris would be wise selections based on whats available.

overall id say faried most likely still on board when our name is called. i think every mock draft i have looked at (although i know this doesnt mean much) has him still up when we pick and i think the majority has us taking him

didnt realize that Faried kid was that good. is this outta nowhere or was he getting hype back before the tourney?

Man i used to like coming into this thread during the season, now its sickening to be here. Talking about trading melo and stat after all 5hat noise from finally getting em. Yall needa let the next season start and everyone mesh together to then make a decision the trade was made midseason obviously they arent gnna co-exist overnight. Smh at some of you.

Originally Posted by MrONegative

didnt realize that Faried kid was that good. is this outta nowhere or was he getting hype back before the tourney?

he almost entered the draft last year also, withdrew last minute. he probably still woulda been a 1st rounder. faried's an animal, hes the ncaa all-time leading rebounder and 17.3 ppg, 14.5 rpg, 2.3 bpg, 1.9 spg is impressive across the board i dont care what conference you are in. in his draft interview he also said that he wants to be putting up 30 rebound games and winning dpoy.
explain to me how "meshing" is gonna make us defend or rebound better

dont be silly you have 2 extremely special talents in melo and stat. that can be a championship 1-2 combo. you gotta do what a winning team does and get guys like faried, etc who can do the things like defend or rebound that are obviously shortcomings for melo and stat. you dont trade them, dont be foolish here. thats why i said before that with our draft pick its not even necessarily about drafting the best available player its about drafting guys who can come in and fill a role that this team needs like a kenneth faried or a floor general such as morris

Back
Top Bottom