**Official '11 NYK LOCKOUT thread*** lockout over

Originally Posted by DubA169

Originally Posted by tim teufel

Props to philly and Indiana for not getting swept.unlike us they have some kinda heart.once again it came down to defense in the playoffs something we have no clue playing.rondo completely embarrassed tony douglas.got his teammates so many wide open shots it was disgusting.most were saying we would be measured on what we did in the playoffs which wasn't much.

did you watch game 1 or 2? we lose those because we had no heart?
laugh.gif
we lost game 1 and 2 cause we have a terrible coach. but game 3 was the game that just made me scratch my head. the garden is rocking first post season game at home and you come out with that effort? yeah no heart is pretty accurate.

yeah game 3 was a huge disappointment. But chauncey not playing and Amare's injury are more to blame than effort imo.

Carmelo Anthony said he expects the Knicks’ Big Three to talk to the front office about their offseason agenda for improving the team.

“That’s something that as a group, collectively, we have to come together and see what we’re lacking, where we need to get stronger at,

A better understanding of our cap space.

No. We will not have near max level salary.

Amar'e - 18.2
Carmelo- 18.5
Balkman- 1.7
Douglas- 1.1
Rautins- .8
Fields- .8

This gives us 41.1 million in salary.

Assumes we decline Walker's option.
Assumes that we find a way to move Turiaf's contract of 4.3 million
Chauncey will cost 3.7 to buy out
We then would have to pay cap holds for 5 other players. Each cap hold is $473,600.
Then our 17th pick at 1.3 million
This puts us at a total committed salary of 49 million.

This would leave us with, assuming a 58 million dollar cap, at 9 million in cap space to fill 5 spots. And we know Ronny is not opting out. So add his 4.3 back.

Also I am not 100% sure, but Billy Walker had a 2 year option in 2010. His original contract was 4 years at the minimum with a 2 year option. When we picked up his option this summer, we picked up 2 YEARS. So I think Walker is guaranteed his 916,100 this summer.

You opt out on billups knicks have about 6 million in cap space. And end up killing any hope at 2012 for a MLE type talent. Its not happening.

Now a 14.4 million dollar expring contract, and a 4.3 million dollar expring contract, landry fields, is a MUCH smarter business move than 6 million in cap space so we can out bid a MLE deal. If there is still a MLE.

Billups is due to make $14.2 million next season in the final year of his contract. But only $3.7 million of that is guaranteed, so the Knicks could buy him out for that sum after the season and make him a free agent. “I would love the opportunity to really try it up with these guys,

^^^ So basically our only chance of picking up solid pieces is to drop Landry?

And to the NT'ers making imaginary rosters, you guys make me
laugh.gif
...I love y'all and your optimism but sometimes you guys go overboard..You realistically think we can afford Amar'e/Melo at about $19mil each/ CP3 at around the same price, AND Marc Gasol coming off of a career year? That's just 4 out of 5 spots..If we put in a veteran at around 4-5 mil to fill out the starting 5, we'll have about 20 bucks to fill out the bench

chauncey is coming back. we need his contract plus we don't have a legit point guard on the squad anyway

I'm actually pretty happy the Knicks got swept (and embarrassed at that).  I think it's better than going down 4-2 or 4-1.  This puts greater onus on the management to make some drastic changes.  
I like Anthony Carter and Shawne Williams.  Have to get rid of Toney though.  Sometimes he shows flashes of brilliance, but more often than not, he just makes terrible decisions.  I was on the Toney wagon for the past two years, but enough is enough.

The cap number is wrong. I worked this out a whie ago in this thread or the Melo trade thread. You have to account for the, iirc, 8% max salary raise for players like Amare and Melo. Teams backload salaries to free up space now and due to the time value of money.

I'll try to find my calculations.

edit: A more exact number actually doesn't matter for the argument being made in the post above so forget it. I agree with that rationale as well.

Originally Posted by ThEPoiNTGoD

I'm actually pretty happy the Knicks got swept (and embarrassed at that).  I think it's better than going down 4-2 or 4-1.  This puts greater onus on the management to make some drastic changes.  
I like Anthony Carter and Shawne Williams.  Have to get rid of Toney though.  Sometimes he shows flashes of brilliance, but more often than not, he just makes terrible decisions.  I was on the Toney wagon for the past two years, but enough is enough.

ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by KING x RIECE

Originally Posted by ThEPoiNTGoD

ohwell.gif
Obviously I was extremely angry when they lost Games 1 and 2, but in hindsight, if they weren't going to make it competitive anyway, might as well get swept and exposed.  I wouldn't have taken that much more joy away from seeing them win Game 3 and then proceed to lose 4 and 5.  Or win Game 1 and 2 and then lose the next four.  Knicks aren't a championship team right now, and if the Knicks took the Celtics to 7 games, there might be less pressure on the front office to make some big moves.
I don't want these dudes to have tasted victory and say "oh, we'll get them next year".  Now that they've been embarrassed as a team, hopefully they will be motivated to work harder in the off-season to improve their game.  Maybe Amar'e will finally learn some post moves to take his game to the next level, maybe Jeffries will have an epiphany and learn how to lay a ball into the basket, maybe Bill Walker will learn how to not pick up offensive fouls every time he drives into the paint.

the one thing that gets under my skin is when D'Antoni is "Mic'd" and the only thing they ever catch him say with any intensity is "Let's Go, Let's Go, Let's Go!"

pretty annoying that that is his only motivation for the team especially when we are down by like 15.

I still think that we get a defensive minded head assistant. We saw how Tom has left an impact on the C's and that impression is still there.

I'm here reading all of you guy's comments on what should be done in the offseason. but Im really not even feeling like contemplating right now. The only things I can talk about is getting a new assistant, and a big center, and Marc Gasol really looks like a great option. But Memphis will not let that man go at all. There is no way that we try to get him for a low price and Memphis not counter offer.

if donnie comes back so will dantoni. kind of sucks.

don't worry he will have another excuse to fall back on next year. "chauncey is old and we were just waiting to clear his cap space so we can use it on new players in free agency".

i agree that in the long run it was better to get swept but i'm definitely not happy about it

Tough series, though I use that term loosely, aside from Games 1 & 2. Although, as pr0phecy said, the Knicks met my expectations for this season. We ended the regular season with a winning record and made the Playoffs, that's all I can really ask for.

Moving ahead, I did get frustrated with Mike D'Antoni's coaching during the post-season but I'm not ready to write him off yet. We didn't have the personnel to win a playoff series, especially against a veteran team like the Celtics. Going into the series, the only reason I thought we'd have a shot is because the Celtics had such a bad stretch going into the playoffs along with the Perkins-trade still looming & issues with chemistry.

It didn't help that Chauncey went down and Stoudemire was clearly not 100% in the later 2 games but also key guys like Shawne Williams not getting enough looks and Shelden Williams not being utilized at all. Then you have Melo feeding Jared Jeffries every time down the stretch.. didn't make any sense.

Back to the future.. I think D'Antoni proved himself prior to the trade that he can get the best out of his guys. He had a full off-season with Stoudemire/Felton/Gallo/Chandler/Fields and it really showed during the first half of the season. Some call it over-achieving but I think he was able to implement his tweeked system and the players really bought into it.

After the trade, everyone sort of winged it because even though it was 20-some odd games, Chauncey & Melo had to run the offense to their liking.

So I think barring drastic changes to our team during the off-season or another blockbuster trade, D'Antoni will have a full-offseason with his current squad and it will make a tremendous difference. He'll have time to figure out how to implement both Stoudemire & Anthony's talents and have them work together rather than Melo dominate the ball and have each player iso when they get the ball.

If you can get Stat & Melo on the same page, working together, playing off each other's strengths, that would be devastating.

Random thought (listening to ESPN Radio, Stephen A. Smith talking):

If the Orlando Magic lose to the Atlanta Hawks, there's reason to believe Stan Van Gundy will be fired.

..do we have a shot/ should we try and sign him?

Originally Posted by viiheaven

Random thought (listening to ESPN Radio, Stephen A. Smith talking):

If the Orlando Magic lose to the Atlanta Hawks, there's reason to believe Stan Van Gundy will be fired.

..do we have a shot/ should we try and sign him?
We already get the worse calls in the league. We don't need SVG to make things worse.

he has the best center in the league and chooses to make the magic shoot just as many three's as the knicks. he throws his players under the bus hardcore. the refs already don't throw us a bone i can't even imagine what would happen with him, players tune him out...

from what i have seen from his personality the nyc media would drive him nuts

Back
Top Bottom