..:Official 2008 NL Central Thread:..Congratulations Chicago Cubs...:

^ for real.. i can wear any teams except for cardinals and yankee's... I was at lids last summer just lookin for a regular red mlb fitted.. dude at thestore was like, you should get that st. louis fitted... I gave him the longest real life stoneface... and was just like, i'll take that reds fitted...

and i don't even wear that hat anymore during baseball season because i'm tired of people either thinkings its a cards hat, or giving me a hard timebecause the reds are in our division... I shoulda went with the Angels hat..

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

I found this dope cards Vs. Cubs shirt at a novelty shop yesterday.....Ill post a pic when my girl gets home with her camera phone unless i find it onlinesomewhere

QNZdGjPm.jpg

Pujols' big night leads Cards to victory

Slugger's four RBIs back Lohse's second win of season
By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Albert Pujols doubled, homered and drove in four runs as the Cardinals beat the Giants, 8-2, at AT&T Park on Friday night.
After a low-power start to the year, Pujols has come on strong on the Cardinals' first road trip. In the past three games, he has three home runs and seven RBIs, raising his slugging percentage from .400 to .722. Pujols had a shot to do even more damage Friday, but popped up with two men on base in the seventh inning.

With St. Louis trailing, 2-1, in the fifth inning, Cesar Izturis poked a one-out single to left. Skip Schumaker reached on an error by second baseman Ray Durham, so when Brian Barton flied out, it should have been a third out. Instead, Pujols got a chance to do damage. Barry Zito left a first-pitch changeup high in the strike zone, and Pujols crushed it to left field to put the Cardinals on top.

That allowed Kyle Lohse to win for the second time in three starts. Lohse saw his season-opening shutout streak end at 15 1/3 innings, but still pitched well enough. He allowed two runs on eight hits in 5 1/3 innings and was helped out by two outfield assists at home plate in the fourth.

The Cardinals stretched their National League Central lead to 1 1/2 games over the Brewers and Cubs, who both lost.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Great game tonight and the Cubs lost too
pimp.gif

[table][tr][td]TEAM[/td] [td]W[/td] [td]L[/td] [td]%[/td] [td]GB[/td] [/tr][tr][td]St. Louis[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]3[/td] [td].727[/td] [td]-[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Chicago[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]4[/td] [td].600[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Milwaukee[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]4[/td] [td].600[/td] [td]1.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Cincinnati[/td] [td]6[/td] [td]5[/td] [td].545[/td] [td]2.0[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Pittsburgh[/td] [td]4[/td] [td]6[/td] [td].400[/td] [td]3.5[/td] [/tr][tr][td]Houston[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]8[/td] [td].273[/td] [td]5.0[/td] [/tr][/table]

How long until the Cardinals pitching staff blows up?

^^^^^^^
I dont know man, they are pitching pretty damn good right now......Mulder will be back in the next 2-3 weeks........And Carpenter will be back the 2nd half ofthe season.

Carpenter
Mulder
Wainright
Lohse
Piniero(SP?)

if all are healthy, it would be one of the best pitching rotations considering the way the cards have been pitching WITHOUT Carp,Mulder and piniero.

We WILL see wont we(hopefully)...........
smile.gif

Lohse has been pitching well for the Cardinals, which sucks because he was bad when he was with the Reds. He'd show us flashes here and there but he neverpitched like he was capable of consistently.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Lohse has been pitching well for the Cardinals, which sucks because he was bad when he was with the Reds. He'd show us flashes here and there but he never pitched like he was capable of consistently.

The Cardinals pitching staff seems to be benefiting from Duncan and the fact that there is no pressure to perform. A lot of experts had us finishing rightabove the Pirates at the bottom of the division based on our suspect pitching. I think Mulder is probably one of the worst things that can happen to thiscurrent wave of success. Mark has always been worthless in a Cardinals uniform and I guarantee he will implode once he takes the mound. If I could somehow takea five iron to his pitching arm; I would
devil.gif
. Carpenter is the only brightspot right now in terms of a player coming back. If the pitching staff continues to perform, we really won't need him as much as we thought we would.Don't get me wrong I can't wait until he returns, but I also wouldn't want to disrupt the chemistry if the success continues.

Nike God smells like someone who used to be a regular in this thread
laugh.gif

Go Pirates

they suck, but still, go Bucs. Every year I hope they make noise so I can come in this thread for a reason, just never happens

wont be able to watch the cubbies tonight, going to a blues club. Will catch updates when i can.
GOOOO CUUUUUBS

Its official... Ted Lilly is a one year wonder... 3 starts and yet to make it thru 5 innings.. get this bum off the cubs..

Sheets beats Santana today.
pimp.gif

Sheets through 3 games is 2-0 with a 1.17 era and 20 strike outs.
And Gagne didnt blow the save!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
eek.gif

Sheets was dealing today, props to him, but the top of the lineup for us has been struggling. I hate April.
laugh.gif

I was excited to see Gange out there cause maybe there would be a comeback, but I was hoping for Mota though during that 8th.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

Lohse has been pitching well for the Cardinals, which sucks because he was bad when he was with the Reds. He'd show us flashes here and there but he never pitched like he was capable of consistently.

The Cardinals pitching staff seems to be benefiting from Duncan and the fact that there is no pressure to perform. A lot of experts had us finishing right above the Pirates at the bottom of the division based on our suspect pitching. I think Mulder is probably one of the worst things that can happen to this current wave of success. Mark has always been worthless in a Cardinals uniform and I guarantee he will implode once he takes the mound. If I could somehow take a five iron to his pitching arm; I would
devil.gif
. Carpenter is the only bright spot right now in terms of a player coming back. If the pitching staff continues to perform, we really won't need him as much as we thought we would. Don't get me wrong I can't wait until he returns, but I also wouldn't want to disrupt the chemistry if the success continues.

laugh.gif

Ya know.......I never really sat down and thought about that before........you`re right, he hasnt done ANYTHING since he`s been here...........We shouldekept dan Haren
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Ohhhh what could have been
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif

ILrIQ9wg.jpg

Duncan, Cardinals come alive late

Left fielder gets two key hits in St. Louis' comeback win

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

SAN FRANCISCO -- Through six innings Saturday, Chris Duncan was slumping. His teammates were hitless on the afternoon. And the Cardinals were facing a daunting five-run deficit.
Four frames later, Duncan was a hero on a 3-for-3 hot streak, the rest of the lineup had chipped in six more hits, and St. Louis was celebrating a rollicking, hard-fought 8-7 win at AT&T Park. Duncan drove in the winning run with a 10th-inning single, but he was just one of a lengthy list of stars for the National League Central-leading Cardinals.

"He's been swinging better and better," manager Tony La Russa said. "He's getting closer and closer to himself. And when he does, he's a clutch guy. He's got a history of rising to the occasion."

Rarely quite like he did on Saturday, though. Following a sixth-inning strikeout, Duncan was 3-for-18 (.167) on the season with no extra-base hits and one RBI. In his final three at-bats, he added three hits, including a home run and a double, and two ribbies to his totals.

Duncan's solo home run in the eighth cut the Giants' lead to 5-3 and started a three-run, game-tying rally. He doubled in the ninth after Ryan Ludwick's homer put the Redbirds ahead, but his biggest hit may have been his shortest.

After the Cards took a 7-5 lead in the ninth, San Francisco tied it up against closer Jason Isringhausen. But St. Louis got two runners on base in the 10th, providing a chance for another lead. One of those runners was Jason LaRue, who was hit in the face as he tried to bunt. LaRue took only a glancing blow, and though he felt some pain, he said any injury was minor.

With left-hander Erick Threets on the mound, the Giants walked Ludwick to load the bases for Duncan, and the lefty-swinging Duncan poked a single into left field for the game-winner.

"It felt good to get an opportunity right there," Duncan said. "I was just trying to get the barrel on the ball, and it happened to fall in."

Through six innings, the Cardinals not only trailed by five, but they were hitless against Matt Cain. But Albert Pujols' double ended Cain's chance at history, and Adam Kennedy and Rico Washington hit RBI singles to get the Cardinals on the board. Duncan hit a solo homer and Rick Ankiel a two-run shot in the eighth, and Ludwick hit a go-ahead jack in the ninth.

However, Isringhausen had a rough ninth, suffering his first blown save of the season. Rich Aurilia hit an RBI single to cut a 7-5 lead in half, and Fred Lewis kept up his spectacular series with a game-tying double that caromed off Pujols' glove into right field.

Fortunately, the Cardinals not only had one more rally in them, but one more stop. After they took the 8-7 lead, Anthony Reyes got the final shutdown. Reyes, moved to the bullpen after competing for a starting job in Spring Training, struck out two batters in nailing down his first professional save.

"I'm having fun," said Reyes, who recorded a win with three excellent innings of relief in Houston on Tuesday. "I'm getting some opportunities to get in there in some good situations, and I'm enjoying it. I'm staying prepared and giving it my best whenever I get called in."

For the second straight outing, Todd Wellemeyer saw a brilliant beginning dwindle to a no-decision thanks to a rough final inning. Wellemeyer took a one-hit shutout into the sixth before Cain's solo homer keyed a big inning for the home team.

After Cain went deep, Lewis singled. Eugenio Velez popped up on a bunt attempt and Randy Winn flied out before Bengie Molina lofted a fly ball to right field. Skip Schumaker gloved the ball, but it squirted out, keeping the inning alive. Jose Castillo walked, setting up John Bowker, who was making his Major League debut.

Molina's ball was initially ruled an error on Schumaker, but in the next inning, the decision was overturned and Molina was awarded a base hit. That made all of the runs in the inning earned. Had the initial decision stood, Wellemeyer would have been charged with one earned run and four unearned.

"I thought he pitched really well, and then the guy jumped a first-pitch fastball, and I think it unsettled him a little bit," La Russa said. "But overall he was outstanding. That's part of it, just to keep concentrating no matter what. But that's really disturbing, to have the pitcher break a scoreless tie with a home run."

The Cardinals improved to 9-3 on the season and lead the National League Central by 1 1/2 games over Milwaukee, which beat the Mets. The comeback win was their biggest since overcoming a 6-0 deficit to beat the Brewers, 7-6, on July 28, 2007.

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I was at USC yesterday for spring fest and my phone kept blowing up with run updates for this game; I am just glad the Cards ended up pulling this one off.

Originally Posted by pacmagic2002

Originally Posted by AM 1 FIEND

The Cardinals pitching staff seems to be benefiting from Duncan and the fact that there is no pressure to perform. A lot of experts had us finishing right above the Pirates at the bottom of the division based on our suspect pitching. I think Mulder is probably one of the worst things that can happen to this current wave of success. Mark has always been worthless in a Cardinals uniform and I guarantee he will implode once he takes the mound. If I could somehow take a five iron to his pitching arm; I would
devil.gif
. Carpenter is the only bright spot right now in terms of a player coming back. If the pitching staff continues to perform, we really won't need him as much as we thought we would. Don't get me wrong I can't wait until he returns, but I also wouldn't want to disrupt the chemistry if the success continues.

laugh.gif

Ya know.......I never really sat down and thought about that before........you`re right, he hasnt done ANYTHING since he`s been here...........We shoulde kept dan Haren
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
eek.gif
Ohhhh what could have been
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
ohwell.gif
pacmagic2002, look at it like this though. When Walt was running the show he was making moves in orderfor us to have that final push to win it all. At the time it looked like a good idea to bring Mulder to St. Louis, though he was struggling in Oakland andhadn't reached the level he was accustomed to for awhile. A lot of us die hard Cardinals fans were suspect because besides being St. Louis fans, we werealso knowledgeable about the game period. We were well aware of Marks problems and didn't see how he was supposedly going to pull a 180 in a new town/uni,let alone ours. He has been a pure disaster since joining the club and Billy Beane has proved that he was the genius in that transaction. Harden was a goodyoung pitcher, but "if" is the lowest form of communication and a word that gets thrown around way too often.

I believe Mulder was damaged goods before the Cardinals got him. He never really pitched well in a Cardinals uniform. I think the A's knew and got the bestyoung pitcher they could for him.

this is so frustrating...we're getting some GREAT pitching.

friday night, lost 1-0, yesterday we lost 4-3. 21 hits and 27 runners in scoring position in those games.
eek.gif

left 11 on base yesterday.
smh.gif

trying to waste another good outing by Cueto today.

Good win cubbies, avoid the sweep.
Going to wrigley with a winning raodtrip, a very good thing.
I watched the whole game and then my wife got in the mood and i missed the tenth inning. LOL, well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom