OFFICIAL 2009 DODGERS SEASON THREAD : Season Over. Congratulations Phillies.

I think it'd be nice to get another starter before the season starts but I don't see it as something absolutely necessary. I mean, it'd be nice toget Pedro for that 4th or 5th starter but we can always wait and see how this current rotation pans out over the season.

Maybe move Pierre, DeWitt, Hu, etc. in a package deal somehow. Hopefully Schmidt regains form for one last year and we don't have to depend on a trade.

I guess we'll see.

Originally Posted by bright nikes

lets monitor how Pedro does in the WBC.

Pedro & Manny in L.A
pimp.gif

That would be
eek.gif
. But I see pedro going somewhere on the east coast. His stock can only go up in the wbc so I'm sure several teams are looking at him

Manny, Dodgers both winners in the end

Wednesday, March 4, 2009 | Print Entry

We know what Manny Ramirez means to the Dodgers beyond the half-run per game they added to their offense after he created his opt-out and left Boston last season. We know about the Manny wigs; we know that Dodgers owner Frank McCourt inherited a mediocre television deal and relies on attendance and the benefits of parking, concessions, etc. at Dodger Stadium.

In the end, as McCourt, Ramirez, general manager Ned Colletti, manager Joe Torre and Ramirez's agent, Scott Boras, watched the sun rise Wednesday morning from McCourt's Malibu, Calif., home, this four-month saga concluded near where it began: somewhere close to $45 million for two years.

Ramirez is happy, because he loves playing in Los Angeles. The Dodgers' other players are happy, because Ramirez makes them better and gives them a far better chance to win … and make more money. McCourt is happy because Ramirez is a cash cow.

When Ramirez left Boston, he told teammates he'd get either a four-year, $100 million contract or a six-year deal worth $150 million. And in November, Boras said he believed it would be a four-year deal. McCourt wouldn't go there.

He and Colletti did make concessions. Oh, there were silly mistakes made with some PR releases that embarrassed the club, but everyone moved on. Boras and Ramirez conceded to deferrals in the contract.

The November offer included a club option for a third year, and if the Dodgers declined and did a buyout, the contract would have had an annual average value of $20 million, which was what Ramirez had in Boston. This deal has a player option, which means Ramirez can play in 2009 for $24.3 million, then if he has a big season and the economy turns around, he can parlay it into free agency or a threat that could get him another multiyear deal. The November deal did not include a no-trade provision; this one does, giving Ramirez more leverage.

And the Dodgers' payroll now is right around $99 million, down $20 million from last season. Because Colletti was able to get the contracts for Rafael Furcal, Casey Blake, Orlando Hudson and Randy Wolf done cheaply and with deferrals, the Dodgers probably are the favorites in the National League West and, with a payroll of less than $100 million, have the payroll flexibility and minor league talent to acquire veteran pitching from economically recessed teams.

Don't worry about McCourt ending up on a breadline. In 2008, the Dodgers gave up prospects that allowed Colletti to acquire Ramirez, Blake and Greg Maddux. And the Red Sox, Indians and Padres respectively paid the remainder of the three players' salaries, which is how McCourt made between $200 million and $300 million last season.
And don't worry about Ramirez being ready for the season. He again worked really hard in the offseason at Athletes' Performance -- this time in Pensacola, Fla. -- and probably needs just upward of three hours of spring training to be ready to get back on his pursuit of Cooperstown.
Good article by Peter Gammons.

Originally Posted by Mr Jordan04

lets monitor how Pedro does in the WBC.

Pedro & Manny in L.A
pimp.gif

That would be
eek.gif
. But I see pedro going somewhere on the east coast. His stock can only go up in the wbc so I'm sure several teams are looking at him
Well he's said that he would like to finish his career in the National League. A team that would make sense is the Marlins, but that teamwon't go anywhere in a couple years.

The Dodgers on the other hand ... has plenty of Boston memories for Pedro (McCourt, Manny, Mienkevitz, etc).

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I said I wasn't gon post in a Dodger thread all offseason till Manny signed.

It took too long but '09 is looking lovely.

smokin.gif

i'm sure that was somehow worked in by Boras to do some PR cleanup though
nerd.gif

FINALLY it's done. I was in the warehouse all morning reading article after article, laughing at the manny quotes. I'll post em in here in a bit.

cant wait to see the press conference in the morning. im sure manny will have many things making us
laugh.gif

also....im gonna try 2 get some pavillion seats to see griffey in june
pimp.gif

hate to rip, but let's go giants. We got the money. Still, don't know why manny's not taking LA's offers. WOW

Originally Posted by SOLEin1

hate to rip, but let's go giants. We got the money. Still, don't know why manny's not taking LA's offers. WOW

log out
laugh.gif

PMAC cliffnotes of ethier's interview? i dipped to the gym.

also what manny say?

PMAC cliffnotes of ethier's interview? i dipped to the gym.

also what manny say?

all he basically said was that hes happy being a dodger and he would rather have a 2 yr deal being happy rather than a 8 yr deal and suffer..
and also that frank signs the check and he probably said that like 10 times ...
roll.gif
roll.gif

Ethier didn't really say much, he was just talking about how having Manny around is better than not having him around. Basic interview cliches.

He did mention that he didnt think pitchers threw to him differently when he was hitting before Manny.

Anybody could see he was getting more fastballs. But hey, he went to ASU, he's probably not the sharpest
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 75 Partly Cloudy

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

I said I wasn't gon post in a Dodger thread all offseason till Manny signed.

It took too long but '09 is looking lovely.

I was wondering why I hadn't seen you at all in this thread...was hoping you were working on a new mixtape
pimp.gif
Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

2ur2ej9.png

pimp.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom