***Official 2009 N.L. Central Thread*** Congrats to the Cardinals***

jdcurt2 wrote:
Hey FB before last night we had the best era in all of baseball at 3.61, well ahead of anyone else.. 15 runs will jack it up. and our overall staff, bullpen included > than any other team in the central.
I still disagree with your claim, I would take the St.Louis pitching staff over Cincy's and we don't have Carpenter. The season is amarathon though, so we will have to see how it all plays out.

Originally Posted by FIRST B0RN

jdcurt2 wrote:
Hey FB before last night we had the best era in all of baseball at 3.61, well ahead of anyone else.. 15 runs will jack it up. and our overall staff, bullpen included > than any other team in the central.
I still disagree with your claim, I would take the St.Louis pitching staff over Cincy's and we don't have Carpenter. The season is a marathon though, so we will have to see how it all plays out.

I'm just sayin up until last night we had the best era in baseball. Carpenter can't be counted on imo, but I was mainly responding to W4L at first whosaid that the Reds are fading already. Should be a good series starting tomorrow, we play like $#%^ at home though.

It is sooo early in the season to be talking about who is the best at anything. Look at the Dodgers, they were whats what in the NL and now they could be introuble without Manny. I dont care what anyone says, losing that guys bat is gonna hurt.
We have a general idea of what team is going to have the best staff over the course of this season, but the proof is in the pudding. I will wait until we have50-70 games under our belts before I start saying who is best.
In the interest of full disclosure, if the Cubs pitchers were putting up better numbers I would be saying that they are the best.
smile.gif

easy fellas...does it really matter?

we've got a very, very good staff...i wouldn't trade staffs with any other team in our division, but let's play more than a month before we startmaking claims.

loooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooong season.

Votto could use a day off, but Brandon's been in a groove.

They're both sick, I dont even know if either is available tonight.

Bruce steppin up
pimp.gif

This is the earliest I ever remember chasing Looper.

Dusty on Nix,

"I talked to (Chris) Dickerson," Dusty Baker said. "I said, 'hey man, you've got to go back to work. Nix is going good right now.'It's about winning ballgames. I'm not saying it's all his fault. But Nix is doing his thing

46785793.jpg

Soriano Powers Offense
Cubs Beat Astros 8-5
It did this season in Arizona, where a Diamondbacks team picked by some to compete in the National League West hasstumbled to a 12-17 start. That's why manager Bob Melvin is on his way out as manager. The same decision soon could be made in Cleveland, whereBoston's 12-run sixth inning was only the latest embarrassment for Eric Wedge's Indians.

The Houston Astros appear similarly awful but are prepared to take their lumps under Cecil Cooper. They picked up hiscontract option for 2010 on April 18, when they were 3-7.

General manager Ed Wade understood he couldn't hold Cooper accountable for the performance of a pitching staff counting largely on the efforts ofRuss Ortiz and Mike Hampton, the comeback kids.

After beating the 36-year-old Hampton in the series opener, the Cubs made the 34-year-old Ortiz disappear in the thirdinning Thursday night en route to an 8-5 victory before a crowd of 28,625 at Minute Maid Park.

The loss dropped Ortiz to 4-19 since the start of 2006. Hampton is 4-7 during the same stretch.

And somehow they're in the starting rotation on a team that has a $102 million payroll.

Ortiz retired only five of the 15 hitters he faced in 2 1/3 innings, giving up only three runs because catcher IvanRodriguez picked off Ryan Theriot from third base and Alfonso Soriano hitinto an inning-ending double play.

It was the sixth victory in the last seven games for the Cubs. They moved to four games above .500 (16-12) for the first time since they were 8-4.

"This was one of those nights where the overall depth of our team allowed us to win the game," starter TedLilly said.

Soriano hit two homers to help Lilly (4-2) get the victory. Kosuke Fukudome also played an important role. He contributedto two early rallies and made a running catch in the vastness of deep center field at Minute Maid Park.

"What a great play that was," manager Lou Piniella said about Fukudome's catch on a drive by Hunter Pence.

Soriano's solo home run off reliever Tim Brydak gave the Cubs a 4-2 lead in the fourth inning. His two-run shot off Felipe Paulino in the ninth sent fansheading for the exits.

Lilly had a rough first inning and said he never felt like he had his best stuff. But he retired the last nine batters he faced.

Piniella said the Cubs didn't want to push him any further because he had experienced a little tightness in his arm.

"We're getting together now," Soriano said. "We're pitching, we're playing defense and having a very good offense. That's whatit's about -- having all those things together."

Playing Houston doesn't hurt either.

And it's only two games, but the girls liked it..........
happy.gif

34y7gas.jpg

we8Tjj8G.jpg
[h3]Sweep dreams: Cards rally past Pirates[/h3]
Two plunked batters, big rally help Wellemeyer seal series

By Matthew Leach / MLB.com

ST. LOUIS -- Finding it difficult to slow one of the National League's most prolific offense by conventional means, opponents are turning to a different tactic: just drill 'em. That's not working either.

Pirates starter Ross Ohlendorf hit two Cardinals batters in a four-run fifth inning that sent St. Louis to a 5-2 win, and a two-game sweep, over Pittsburgh at Busch Stadium on Thursday afternoon. The two hit batsmen were the sixth and seventh Redbirds plunked in the case of a brief four-game homestand, leaving the Cards atop the National League with 17 men hit by pitches on the year.

"I think Philly did it to us, and Pittsburgh kind of followed the cue," said Todd Wellemeyer, Thursday's winning pitcher. "It's almost like the only way they're going to shut our offense down is to live in there. It's what they're doing right now, and I guess if they hit a guy, they hit a guy. They don't really care."

On Thursday, though, it proved quite costly.

It was Jason LaRue's home run that put the Redbirds ahead, 2-1, to open the fifth inning. But the winning rally was just getting started. After two singles, Ohlendorf hit Albert Pujols in the back to load the bases and then drilled Ryan Ludwick to bring a run home. A Chris Duncan sacrifice fly and Khalil Greene's RBI single completed the scoring.

Pujols hit the deck after being hit and was clearly in pain as he stood at first base. Head athletic trainer Barry Weinberg came out to tend to him, but Pujols remained in the game. The reigning NL MVP does not expect to miss any time as a result of the plunking.

"It's just sore," Pujols said. "It's probably going to be uncomfortable because it's right on the ribcage."

The slugger also dismissed the notion that Ohlendorf was trying to hit anyone.

"I think he's a young kid who probably doesn't have control yet of where he's going to throw the ball," Pujols said. "If he did it on purpose, then he was pretty stupid. I don't think he wants to load the bases with one out."

Still, it's happened enough times that it's starting to look like a pattern.

"I think they're throwing in a little bit more," said Skip Schumaker. "That's part of it. It's not like we're going to retaliate or anything because I do think in certain situations guys are trying to get ground balls. But we're trying to get baserunners, too. ... As long as we capitalize, then we're good."

Manager Tony La Russa refused to come anywhere near the topic, but in so doing, indicated that perhaps it's a sore spot.

"None of your business," La Russa said when asked about the rash of hit batsmen. "I'm not going to answer it. That's an answer that's got nothing but trouble, so I'm not going to answer it."

However they came, the runs provided plenty of support for Wellemeyer and the Cardinals' bullpen. Wellemeyer made it two strong starts in a row, going seven innings. He allowed two runs on four hits, striking out four against three walks to continue his revival from a subpar Spring Training and early season.

If he wasn't quite as sharp as in his last start -- in Washington on Friday -- he was nonetheless much better than in his previous two. Wellemeyer threw a high percentage of fastballs early in the game, and he then turned more to his offspeed offerings as the innings clicked by. That also led to an uptick in swinging strikes.

"I like to go with the fastball as long as I can," Wellemeyer said. "Now, if I see them just sitting on it, then you've just got to [change plans]. You've got to see what they're doing and adjust."

Trever Miller, Blaine Boyer and Ryan Franklin combined to secure the final six outs, with Franklin collecting his ninth save in as many opportunities. The game was never out of hand enough to see a retaliation, but more than one Cardinal noted that the club will be in Pittsburgh in less than a week.

"It happens, you know? The other team has a scouting report," Pujols said. "So I guess [they're] pitching inside or whatever. It's not like they're going to come in here and beat us up and we're not going to respond back. If we are suspicious about somebody trying to take one of our players out, we're going to take one of them out, too. I don't think it's something to worry about."

Matthew Leach is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

It's good to take a two game sweep of Pittsburgh, especially since they have seem to have our number the past few seasons.
smh.gif
@ teams beaningour players, Ankiel to the dl
ohwell.gif

Cubbies keeping it rolling, good to see consistent playing. I know the Astros are a minor league team but its nice to see the Cubs dominating teams they shoulddominate.

Heres to hoping the Cubs can keep the Mo going in Wrigley field North.

Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto must still be sick. Here's the lineup:

Willy Taveras cf
Jerry Hairston 2b
Jay Bruce rf
Ramon Hernandez 1b
Laynce Nix lf
Adam Rosales 3b
Ryan Hanigan c
Paul Janish ss
Johnny Cueto p
i ain't going tonight...looks like the rain may delay the game.

Originally Posted by wildKYcat

Brandon Phillips and Joey Votto must still be sick. Here's the lineup:

Willy Taveras cf
Jerry Hairston 2b
Jay Bruce rf
Ramon Hernandez 1b
Laynce Nix lf
Adam Rosales 3b
Ryan Hanigan c
Paul Janish ss
Johnny Cueto p
i ain't going tonight...looks like the rain may delay the game.

If the rain holds off I'll be there. My work is sponsoring the fireworks tonight.

Is there a site that has lineups early? I can never find the Indians' until about an hour before the game starts.

Oh, and I'm definitely getting rained on at the game tonight here.
grin.gif

a Reds writer for the Cincinnati Enquirer posts the lineup on his blog as soon as he sees it everyday.

Originally Posted by arstyle27

46785793.jpg

Soriano Powers Offense
Cubs Beat Astros 8-5
It did this season in Arizona, where a Diamondbacks team picked by some to compete in the National League West has stumbled to a 12-17 start. That's why manager Bob Melvin is on his way out as manager. The same decision soon could be made in Cleveland, where Boston's 12-run sixth inning was only the latest embarrassment for Eric Wedge's Indians.

The Houston Astros appear similarly awful but are prepared to take their lumps under Cecil Cooper. They picked up his contract option for 2010 on April 18, when they were 3-7.

General manager Ed Wade understood he couldn't hold Cooper accountable for the performance of a pitching staff counting largely on the efforts of Russ Ortiz and Mike Hampton, the comeback kids.

After beating the 36-year-old Hampton in the series opener, the Cubs made the 34-year-old Ortiz disappear in the third inning Thursday night en route to an 8-5 victory before a crowd of 28,625 at Minute Maid Park.

The loss dropped Ortiz to 4-19 since the start of 2006. Hampton is 4-7 during the same stretch.

And somehow they're in the starting rotation on a team that has a $102 million payroll.

Ortiz retired only five of the 15 hitters he faced in 2 1/3 innings, giving up only three runs because catcher Ivan Rodriguez picked off Ryan Theriot from third base and Alfonso Soriano hit into an inning-ending double play.

It was the sixth victory in the last seven games for the Cubs. They moved to four games above .500 (16-12) for the first time since they were 8-4.

"This was one of those nights where the overall depth of our team allowed us to win the game," starter Ted Lilly said.

Soriano hit two homers to help Lilly (4-2) get the victory. Kosuke Fukudome also played an important role. He contributed to two early rallies and made a running catch in the vastness of deep center field at Minute Maid Park.

"What a great play that was," manager Lou Piniella said about Fukudome's catch on a drive by Hunter Pence.

Soriano's solo home run off reliever Tim Brydak gave the Cubs a 4-2 lead in the fourth inning. His two-run shot off Felipe Paulino in the ninth sent fans heading for the exits.

Lilly had a rough first inning and said he never felt like he had his best stuff. But he retired the last nine batters he faced.

Piniella said the Cubs didn't want to push him any further because he had experienced a little tightness in his arm.

"We're getting together now," Soriano said. "We're pitching, we're playing defense and having a very good offense. That's what it's about -- having all those things together."

Playing Houston doesn't hurt either.

And it's only two games, but the girls liked it..........
happy.gif

34y7gas.jpg

And yes, purple shorts can STILL get it
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom