OFFICIAL 2009 NFL DRAFT (APRIL 25-26) VOL. NFL SALVATION

[h2]Sources: Lions work to sign Stafford

Brian Billick says the Lions can't make a mistake picking a QB with the No. 1 pick overall. He says if a coach misses on a first round QB, they may end up doing games for Fox instead of coaching their team.[/h2]

Negotiations between the Detroit Lions and Georgia quarterback Matthew Stafford have intensified but as of Wednesday night there was no deal, multiple sources said.

The Lions want to have a deal in place for the draft's first selection before Saturday, and they have narrowed their focus on Stafford,Baylor tackle Jason Smith and Wake Forest linebacker Aaron Curry.

Curry's agents met with the Lions in Detroit during the weekend and left with confidence they would be able to work out a deal with theLions.

On Tuesday and Wednesday, the Lions' focus turned to Stafford, who has indicated he would love to play in Detroit.

According to sources, the Lions and Stafford's agents Tom Condon and Ben Dogra were exchanging proposals Wednesday night with hopes ofreaching an agreement.

NFL.com Video

An inside look at quarterback Matthew Stafford from Georgia.

Figuring out the right contract numbers remains critical. Last year, Condon and Dogra negotiated a five-year, $57.5 million deal fortackle Jake Long, whowas drafted No. 1 by the Dolphins.

They also got MattRyan a six-year, $72 million deal when he was drafted No. 4 by the Falcons.

Because quarterbacks receive a premium salary because of the value of their position, Stafford would be expected to make more than Long, butit may be hard for the Lions to top the Ryan contract by much.

John Clayton is a senior writer for ESPN.COM

I dunno how much stock I put into this, but there is a rumor floating around the Skins MB (according to Sal Pal) that the Seahawks are interested in JasonCampbell for a 3rd round pick....now I dunno if our #13 is also on the table for the #4, but it could look like:

Skins get:

#4 overall
3rd round choice

Seahawks get:
#13 overall
Jason Campbell

Seems like a dumb move on the Seahawks part, so again....I dunno how much stock I put into it...

I'll look around and try to find a link or something

just a rumor i heard on wip in philly but john clayton was talking about a potential trade between the browns and eagles

eagles would recieve: braylon edwards and the 5th overall pick

browns recieve: shawn andrews and sheldon brown

im guessing the eagles would take a top OL with the 5th and moreno with the 21st which would be nasty

Originally Posted by jawn piece

just a rumor i heard on wip in philly but john clayton was talking about a potential trade between the browns and eagles

eagles would recieve: braylon edwards and the 5th overall pick

browns recieve: shawn andrews and sheldon brown

im guessing the eagles would take a top OL with the 5th and moreno with the 21st which would be nasty

There is no way they're letting go Shawn Andrews...an accomplished and one of the best guards in the league...for an unproven tackle at #5.

I'm a Giants fan and if philly goes through with that deal...
laugh.gif

[h2]Salary Cap Space As Of April 22[/h2]
Posted by Mike Florio on April 22, 2009, 10:41 p.m. EDT

Arizona Cardinals: $1.29 million.

Atlanta Falcons: $23.67 million.

Baltimore Ravens: $968,000.

Buffalo Bills: $11.82 million.

Carolina Panthers: $2.69 million.

Chicago Bears: $20.96 million.

Cincinnati Bengals: $16.26 million.

Cleveland Browns: $20.27 million.

Dallas Cowboys: $10.35 million.

Denver Broncos: $16.3 million.

Detroit Lions: $10.72 million.

Green Bay Packers: $27.89 million.

Houston Texans: $10.75 million.

Indianapolis Colts: $7.10 million.

Jacksonville Jaguars: $16.94 million.

Kansas City Chiefs: $32.3 million.

Miami Dolphins: $13.19 million.

Minnesota Vikings: $17.32 million.

New England Patriots: $4.67 million.

New Orleans Saints: $4.29 million.

New York Giants: $4.37 million.

New York Jets: $12.62 million.

Oakland Raiders: $9.33 million.

Philadelphia Eagles: $37.44 million.

Pittsburgh Steelers: $440,000.

San Diego Chargers: $8.56 million.

San Francisco 49ers: $26.11 million.

Seattle Seahawks: $7.41 million.

St. Louis Rams: $10.67 million.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers: $35.54 million.

Tennessee Titans: $13.05 million.

Washington ********: $5.96 million.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Trading Brady Quinn to move up and take Mark Sanchez would accomplish what for the Browns?

Why are the Browns so sour on Brady Quinn?

J's, I saw your trade scenario with Cooley and 13 for the 3.

Mike and Mike just said they think Wash could trade up with Jax at 8 and get Sanchez.

Pretty safe to assume that Washington is moving up huh?
laugh.gif

But if it's true that Seattle likes Sanchez, the Skins have to get into that 3 slot. Unless that OTHER skins trade scenario is there with Cambell goin tothe Hawks.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

And how the hell do the Skins have 6 mil in cap space? I mean damn, what the hell is the cap, the national deficit? Spendin like mad and still have space?

Why are the Browns so sour on Brady Quinn?

I have been wondering this myself for ages!! Not being in Ohio, I couldn't see him play every week, but from what I saw, he was playing like a solid, youngQB. And he hasn't even played a full season ...

Originally Posted by CP1708

J's, I saw your trade scenario with Cooley and 13 for the 3.

Mike and Mike just said they think Wash could trade up with Jax at 8 and get Sanchez.

Pretty safe to assume that Washington is moving up huh?
laugh.gif

But if it's true that Seattle likes Sanchez, the Skins have to get into that 3 slot. Unless that OTHER skins trade scenario is there with Cambell goin to the Hawks.
laugh.gif
smh.gif

And how the hell do the Skins have 6 mil in cap space? I mean damn, what the hell is the cap, the national deficit? Spendin like mad and still have space?

I think Sanchez will be gone before 8...actually, before #5....this is why the Skins are pressed to either get the Hawks pick at #4, or get the Chiefs pick at#3....just as long as they draft before the Browns...

Now here's another scenario....there have been some rumblings that the whole QB mess in washington is just smoke & mirrors...if they get that #3 pick,could they be thinking of Aaron Curry?

As far as the cap...Skins have the best dudes in the business working their finances. No matter how much they spend, they ALWAYS find a way to stay under. The have dudes restructuring deals left and right....if they could only apply their cap smarts to other aspects of the franchise
smh.gif

Please tell me what McShay was just talking about on SportsCenter. I had my headphones in.

His top five now is Curry, Smith, Tyson Jackson, Sanchez and Stafford?

Edit: Kiper has Jackson at three, too?!

According to Peter King, the Pats are trying to move into the top 10. Offered Jacksonville their 1st rd and middle of the 3rd rd pick but Jags turned it down.

Denver inquired about Quinn, but Browns say he's not available.

Originally Posted by Kiddin Like Jason

Please tell me what McShay was just talking about on SportsCenter. I had my headphones in.

His top five now is Curry, Smith, Tyson Jackson, Sanchez and Stafford?

it was a what if board if the lions passed on stafford

and some of these trades yall posting are laughable

Originally Posted by franchise3

According to Peter King, the Pats are trying to move into the top 10. Offered Jacksonville their 1st rd and middle of the 3rd rd pick but Jags turned it down.
in hopes of landing who? orakpo or cushing?

Back
Top Bottom