Official 2009 NY Jets ( 9-7 ) Season Thread. Jets vs Colts 1/24 . AFC Championship !!!!

d'brickashaw talking tough now
pimp.gif

alg_jets.jpg

D'Brickashaw Ferguson adopts same confidence as Jets coach Rex Ryan

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...08-06_dbrickashaw_ferguson.html#ixzz0NPJE83Ck

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Now it's official: Rex Ryan's unabashed confidence has permeated the entire team.
It has turned D'Brickashaw Ferguson, the cerebral, unassuming, cliché-loving left tackle, into a fire-breathing quote machine. He has gone from HarryPotter to Dirty Harry, talking tough. He guaranteed his first Pro Bowl season.
All because he got Rexed.

"I'm adopting that philosophy," Ferguson said Wednesday between practices at SUNY-Cortland. "When I say I'm going to the Pro Bowl thisyear, I honestly mean it. When I say we're going to win the Super Bowl, I honestly mean that, too.

"You have to have a plan. This isn't wishing. Instead of always being in a hopeful situation - like, 'I hope one day ...' - let's claim itnow."
Under Ryan, the days of the bland leading the bland are over. In his introductory news conference, he predicted a trip to the White House (as Super Bowlchamps, not as tourists), the first of many bold statements. His attitude has trickled down the roster, emboldening players to speak their minds without fearof recrimination. Take that, Eric Mangini.
Safety Kerry Rhodes predicted the Jets will have the No. 1 defense in the NFL. Kicker Jay Feely said the same thing about the special teams. Ryan believes hecould have the best offensive line, the best running-back tandem and, yes, he agrees with all the high expectations for the defense, his baby.

Some might snicker, saying a team that has gone four seasons without a playoff win should keep its trap shut, but the players believe that bravado is essentialto success.

"When you have a coach who is unafraid to say what he believes, you're going to have a team that is unafraid to make mistakes," Feely said."That's when you play your best. ...Rex breeds that. He wants players to play with a confidence and a chip on their shoulders, so you're going tosee a lot of that."

The Jets know there's a certain opponent to the north (hint: three Super Bowl titles) that probably is clearing space on its bulletin board for the quotesbeing spewed by Ryan & Co. And they're okay with that.
"You know they're going to use it," Rhodes said of the Patriots. "We've been talking, and that's fine, but we've got players whohave been successful in this league and know how to back it up. I think we'll be ready when that comes."
That's Week 2, when the Patriots invade the Meadowlands. Maybe Bill Belichick will wear one of his Super Bowl rings - you know, the rings Ryan has said herefuses to kiss.

It can be a dangerous thing, chirping in the NFL, but maybe the Jets need that mentality after last season's collapse. They lost four of their last fivegames under Mangini, blowing a gimme playoff berth.
"Anybody who was here last year feels like we let a great opportunity slip through our fingers, and we didn't finish," Feely said. "I thinkthat's still in the back of our minds."

On some levels, Ferguson symbolizes the recent fortunes of the team - talented, but missing a certain intangible that separates also-rans from champions. Now,perhaps, he has found it, that swagger that Ryan loves to see in his players.

"Rex Ryan is definitely a very confident individual and, when you have someone who believes firmly in what he's speaking, you naturally absorbit," Ferguson said. "You begin to take on the mentality of your coach. If he feels so confident, then I feel confident."

i like how rex got these guys thinking even though everyones gonna laugh at em, gotta show and prove .......

We are going to struggle big time on offense but I really think our D will be top 3 in the league. Hopefully our run game will be as good as it was past yearbut I could easily see Thomas Jones reverting back to his '07 form.

We need to find ways to get Leon the ball as much as possible.

leon's gonna have a big year , this team may surprise us this year .........

alg_clemens-sanchez.jpg

Rookie quarterback Mark Sanchez is right on the mark for Jets' starting job

BY RICH CIMINI
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

CORTLAND,N.Y.-Mark Sanchez has played before crowds of 100,000 at the Rose Bowl, so he wasn't about to let an untelevised scrimmage in front of 6,100 fansrattle him. But he ate only one bite of a peanut butter and jelly sandwich Thursday night at the pregame meal, and relaxed with his iPod to clear his mind.

"Just like game day," he said.

Fortunately for the Jets, and not so much for Kellen Clemens, Sanchez gave a Southern Cal-like performance in the annual Green and White game at SUNY-Cortland.In an offense-versus-defense scrimmage that included full contact (the quarterbacks were off limits), the Jets' ballyhooed rookie took a semi-significantstep in the quarterback competition.

Sanchez, sharing first-team work with Clemens, completed nine of 17 passes for 70 yards - and four of the incompletions were drops. Somewhat surprisingly, thecoaches let him run a methodical no-huddle offense - not a hurry-up - and he handled it reasonably well for a rookie.
The Jets' No. 1 pick outplayed Clemens (5-for-7, 26 yards), intensifying the QB battle on the one-year anniversary of the Brett Favre trade. On this night,they didn't solidify the position like they did by acquiring Favre, but Sanchez's performance caused a buzz within the organization.
Owner Woody Johnson liked it. Coach Rex Ryan loved it.

"I'm not a quarterback expert, but when guys were open, he was putting the ball on the mark and they would've been first downs, all of them,"said Ryan, alluding to the four drops. "He was impressive to me. I keep talking about that deep sideline throw and the comeback (routes). You have to beable to make that throw, and he does consistently."

No one, though, was more excited about the rookie's performance than Sanchez himself.

"I was seeing things clearly and I was really in control," he said. "I was happy with my performance."

The first true test comes a week from tonight, when the Jets open the preseason against St. Louis. Presumably, Clemens will remain No. 1 on the depth chart,and it would be a surprise if he doesn't start against the Rams, but Sanchez is gaining. He probably has pulled even, maybe slightly ahead. But let'snot get crazy. Noting they were wearing red jerseys, Ryan said, "Sometimes quarterbacks flinch when it's live."
Neither quarterback led his unit to a score, as the defense continued its camp-long dominance, but Sanchez moved the ball. His best throw was a 19-yard laserto Wallace Wright on a deep out pattern. Clemens tried only one ball downfield, and he underthrew Chansi Stuckey. Both quarterbacks had no turnovers as well.

Ryan thought Clemens did well, praising his grasp of the offense, saying, "He's able to move all the pieces. He knows how to run the team." Atthis point, that's Clemens' only advantage, albeit a significant one. But Sanchez is gaining there, too. He showed good command of the no-huddle, whichwill be a staple of Brian Schottenheimer's offense.

"I'm understanding the offense really well, and that really showed (tonight)," Sanchez said. "They allowed me a lot of freedom to run theno-huddle. If they weren't comfortable with that, they wouldn't let me do it. They would've made us huddle every time."

Johnson, who invested a $48 million contract in Sanchez, liked what he saw. But he wasn't about to play favorites.

"Especially after a draft, you always want to see what a guys looks like," the owner said. "This was the most real situation, by far."

Real good - for Sanchez.

graf_qb-battle.jpg

pimp.gif

Friday, August 14 - Rams @ Jets - NFL Network

Clemens is starting preseason week 1 vs Rams. (Sanchez
pimp.gif
)

Gholston starts week 1 for Pace who's suspended...
smh.gif
Should be Westermanimho.
Brick talking #@#@... I love it.
pimp.gif

Poll I found on another forum:

[table][tr][td]Vernon Gholston: How many sacks will it take to avoid bustivity?[/td] [/tr][tr][td]ZERO (Sacks are not a barometer)[/td] [td]
bar2-l.gif
bar2.gif
bar2-r.gif
clear.gif
[/td] [td]13[/td] [td]5.78%[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1-3 Sacks[/td] [td]
bar3-l.gif
bar3.gif
bar3-r.gif
clear.gif
[/td] [td]8[/td] [td]3.56%[/td] [/tr][tr][td]4-6 Sacks[/td] [td]
bar4-l.gif
bar4.gif
bar4-r.gif
clear.gif
[/td] [td]121[/td] [td]53.78%[/td] [/tr][tr][td]7-9 Sacks[/td] [td]
bar5-l.gif
bar5.gif
bar5-r.gif
clear.gif
[/td] [td]69[/td] [td]30.67%[/td] [/tr][tr][td]10-12 Sacks[/td] [td]
bar6-l.gif
bar6.gif
bar6-r.gif
clear.gif
[/td] [td]11[/td] [td]4.89%[/td] [/tr][tr][td]13+ Sacks[/td] [td]
bar1-l.gif
bar1.gif
bar1-r.gif
clear.gif
[/td] [td]3[/td] [td]1.33%[/td] [/tr][/table]

I'm sorry, but I've basically written the guy off as a $21M dollar "L".
smh.gif

If he puts up 4 sacks on the year, I'll eat crow... but right now Jamal Westerman & Jason Trusnik > Vernon Gholston

DE Shaun Ellis is suspended for Week 1 for the marijuana possession charge he got last year.

Playing the Texans at home just got even more difficult, but they're missing both of their starting CB's....

Originally Posted by MayhemMonkey000

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

Originally Posted by Proshares

I don't get why anyone would be downgrading Jones. He had a great year last year IMO. Maybe this year drop his carries from almost 300 to maybe 220 or so, get him more involved in the passing game and get Greene and Leon those carries.

He did have a great year last year, but he's on the wrong side of 30 and he's disgruntled. If he was younger, he'd have the contract he wants no problem, but there's to many red flags for a RB his age. It was really surprising that he had the year he had.

And Allison was the best WR out school ever had
pimp.gif
. If that counts for something
laugh.gif
. I remember him being a good special teams guy with the Vikes but that's it. I think I remember him having a lot of drops too. Cotchery is our No. 1, Stuckey is our No. 2, Smith/Clowny are our No. 3. Signing Allison won't really mean a thing.
Don't forget, we had one of the best O-Line's in the NFL on his side.
I believe any mediocre running back can look stellar with our O-Line blocking for him.

Apparently Leon's agent flew in, and talks with the team are looking okay so far. Nothing concrete yet, but hopefully this thing gets resolved before it gets ugly.
Heard that too. Things are looking good in terms of Leon. Have you guys been hearing about Shonn Greene? I've been hearing he's been incredibly soft in practice. I swear this guy was supposed to be praised for his toughness. I know it's training camp, but still...
If it's because he's been a victim of some heavy hits on 1-on-1s, it ain't nothing, it's a natural occurrence.
However, he did impress coaches and everyone on the first scrimmage. He'll be okay.
I don't think he deserves the "soft" title just yet.

ellis is an idiot, we should be alright against the texans, it's week 2 im worried about. so yeah week one already becomes a must win .......

mt6trp.jpg

Jamaal Westerman, a rookie free agent, had yet another outstanding practice. He stuffed RB Shonn Green on an inside running play, flashed in pass rushing drills and bullrushed tackle Travita Thompson on a passing play, pushing him into quarterback Erik Ainge to disrupt the play.

Ryan, who has been talking up Westerman since rookie minicamp, mockingly said, ``I told you so.'' Even so, Ryan said he's surprised that Westerman has been able to pick up the defense and his new positions (inside and outside linebacker) so quickly. He's also calling defensive signals.
Hope this kid is the real deal when the season starts... He's been killing since rookie camp started.

Gholston had a good practice today too; even stayed after was done and got in some extra work w/ Sanchez, Cotchery & Stuckey

i have a feeling our linebackers are gonna be pretty dam good with rex and bart around
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by onewearz

i have a feeling our linebackers are gonna be pretty dam good with rex and bart around
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
Hopefully we see Rhodes blitz a lil more, like he did 2 years ago.
Can't wait to see the unique packages "The Mad Scientist" brings to the table.

Originally Posted by Proshares
If it's because he's been a victim of some heavy hits on 1-on-1s, it ain't nothing, it's a natural occurrence.
However, he did impress coaches and everyone on the first scrimmage. He'll be okay.
I don't think he deserves the "soft" title just yet.

It wasn't just 1-on-1's. He's been real timid and tippy toeing everything. Hopefully it's just nerves, I was real excited to get him.

And I don't know why Westerman got overlooked so much in the draft. He has good size and he was a beast at Rutgers. It's not like he put up badworkout numbers either. I wouldn't give up on Gholston yet either. I've been saying this for the longest but he's not a LB. I've heard nothingbut good things about him when he has his hand down. He'll prove himself during passing downs.

I think Westerman didn't play the last 4 games of the season because of an injury...
that's probably why his stock slipped.
If anyone can get the most out of him, it's def. Rex Ryan.

onewearz, didn't realize you were a Jet fan also
pimp.gif

I would have started this thread sometime this week, but it's all good. I'm becoming more and more pumped for this season as our first preseason gameapproaches.

Let's get it going Jets fans! J-E-T-S JETS! JETS! JETS!

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes happy to be out of Eric Mangini's defensive system

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Kerry Rhodes is a fledgling actor who already has appeared in two movies, but perhaps his best performance occurred last season: He actedhappy.

Even though he never complained publicly, Rhodes was miserable in Eric Mangini's defense, which made him a one-dimensional safety. He was used primarily indeep coverage for the Jets, restricted from flowing to the ball. His big-play production, once the hallmark of his game, almost disappeared.

"For me, inside, it was burning me up," Rhodes said yesterday at SUNY-Cortland, revealing that he twice went to Mangini to request an expanded role -and was denied both times. Asked if the meetings were contentious, he said, "It wasn't heated, per se, but I tried to get my point across."

Rhodes won't have to lobby anymore.

In Rex Ryan's defense, the system made famous for safeties by Ravens ballhawker Ed Reed, Rhodes will have the freedom to ad-lib based on his pre-snapreads. With Reed's former sidekick, Jim Leonhard, starting alongside him and calling most of the signals, Rhodes has everything in place to have abounce-back season.

"I'm Kobe; I'm the shooting guard," said Rhodes, who described himself as the point guard of last year's secondary. "I don'thave to take 100 shots, but I can pick my spots within the flow of the game."

To use another sports analogy, he was the setup man, not the closer, the way he used to be.

Rhodes was an emerging force in 2006 and 2007, with nine interceptions, seven sacks and five forced fumbles. His big-play numbers dropped to two, one and zero,respectively, last season. The frustration got to him around midseason, when he noticed "the plays weren't coming my way."
He requested a private audience with Mangini, who explained his reasoning behind the strategy. Rhodes declined to give the juicy details, but it seems obvious:With problems at right cornerback - rookie Dwight Lowery started the season and was replaced by graybeard Ty Law - Mangini wanted Rhodes to be a safety net, soto speak, providing deep help.

"Me and Eric talked because I wasn't happy about it," said Rhodes, who also had another sitdown with Mangini late in the season when everythingwas crumbling.

Rhodes made this point to Mangini: When he makes big plays, the team wins. He's right. The Jets are 11-1 when Rhodes intercepts a pass. Though Ryancautioned not to judge Rhodes strictly on his interception total, the former Ravens defensive coordinator has high expectations.
"I definitely think he's going to have a big year for us," Ryan said. "I don't want to really flat-out compare him to Ed Reed because Idon't think that's fair - there's only one Ed Reed out there - but I think he can definitely be a playmaker for us."

In Ryan's scheme, safeties are allowed to read and react. Example: Instead of being stuck in the deep center in a three-deep zone, as he would beMangini's scheme, the safety can jump a shallow crossing route if he reads it and directs another player into his vacated spot.

"He's so athletic and he can cover a lot of ground, and this defense gives you more freedom to roam around," Leonhard said of his new partner."Kerry is licking his chops. He's ready to go make plays."

All this talk, of course, is putting more pressure on Rhodes to deliver a Pro Bowl-caliber season, an honor that has eluded him. He welcomes the extraattention.

"I want that on me," he said. "There will be no excuses, no talk. It'll just be me, doing what I do."

pimp.gif

this has me way to amped to watch football right now, if the dude can thrive in this system like ed reed did then this will be one helluva year.

mangini was an idiot for not using kerry the right way, this dude is a playmaker and hopefully we'll see big things this year ...........

Originally Posted by onewearz

this has me way to amped to watch football right now, if the dude can thrive in this system like ed reed did then this will be one helluva year.
073107patsms02-762521.JPG

Back
Top Bottom