Official 2009 NY Jets ( 9-7 ) Season Thread. Jets vs Colts 1/24 . AFC Championship !!!!

PeterGriffinTomBrady.jpg

Originally Posted by onewearz

Jets safety Kerry Rhodes happy to be out of Eric Mangini's defensive system

CORTLAND, N.Y. - Kerry Rhodes is a fledgling actor who already has appeared in two movies, but perhaps his best performance occurred last season: He acted happy.

Even though he never complained publicly, Rhodes was miserable in Eric Mangini's defense, which made him a one-dimensional safety. He was used primarily in deep coverage for the Jets, restricted from flowing to the ball. His big-play production, once the hallmark of his game, almost disappeared.

"For me, inside, it was burning me up," Rhodes said yesterday at SUNY-Cortland, revealing that he twice went to Mangini to request an expanded role - and was denied both times. Asked if the meetings were contentious, he said, "It wasn't heated, per se, but I tried to get my point across."

Rhodes won't have to lobby anymore.

In Rex Ryan's defense, the system made famous for safeties by Ravens ballhawker Ed Reed, Rhodes will have the freedom to ad-lib based on his pre-snap reads. With Reed's former sidekick, Jim Leonhard, starting alongside him and calling most of the signals, Rhodes has everything in place to have a bounce-back season.

"I'm Kobe; I'm the shooting guard," said Rhodes, who described himself as the point guard of last year's secondary. "I don't have to take 100 shots, but I can pick my spots within the flow of the game."

To use another sports analogy, he was the setup man, not the closer, the way he used to be.

Rhodes was an emerging force in 2006 and 2007, with nine interceptions, seven sacks and five forced fumbles. His big-play numbers dropped to two, one and zero, respectively, last season. The frustration got to him around midseason, when he noticed "the plays weren't coming my way."
He requested a private audience with Mangini, who explained his reasoning behind the strategy. Rhodes declined to give the juicy details, but it seems obvious: With problems at right cornerback - rookie Dwight Lowery started the season and was replaced by graybeard Ty Law - Mangini wanted Rhodes to be a safety net, so to speak, providing deep help.

"Me and Eric talked because I wasn't happy about it," said Rhodes, who also had another sitdown with Mangini late in the season when everything was crumbling.

Rhodes made this point to Mangini: When he makes big plays, the team wins. He's right. The Jets are 11-1 when Rhodes intercepts a pass. Though Ryan cautioned not to judge Rhodes strictly on his interception total, the former Ravens defensive coordinator has high expectations.
"I definitely think he's going to have a big year for us," Ryan said. "I don't want to really flat-out compare him to Ed Reed because I don't think that's fair - there's only one Ed Reed out there - but I think he can definitely be a playmaker for us."

In Ryan's scheme, safeties are allowed to read and react. Example: Instead of being stuck in the deep center in a three-deep zone, as he would be Mangini's scheme, the safety can jump a shallow crossing route if he reads it and directs another player into his vacated spot.

"He's so athletic and he can cover a lot of ground, and this defense gives you more freedom to roam around," Leonhard said of his new partner. "Kerry is licking his chops. He's ready to go make plays."

All this talk, of course, is putting more pressure on Rhodes to deliver a Pro Bowl-caliber season, an honor that has eluded him. He welcomes the extra attention.

"I want that on me," he said. "There will be no excuses, no talk. It'll just be me, doing what I do."

pimp.gif

this has me way to amped to watch football right now, if the dude can thrive in this system like ed reed did then this will be one helluva year.

mangini was an idiot for not using kerry the right way, this dude is a playmaker and hopefully we'll see big things this year ...........

I dont understand what Rhodes is so heated about
Ty Law was a Liability and Rhodes was needed to be back there to protect him.
Seems like he's too stuck on whats best for him instead of what was best for the team
*shrugs* get over it...

jets didn't need ty law last year, not like he made much of a difference when he came. should've just let dwight develop ..........

They have at Marshalls near me 19-0 Patriots caps.

they were like 3.99

I was going to get it and wear it with my mangold jersey for the home opener at the meadowlands

Originally Posted by DeadsetAce

this has me way to amped to watch football right now, if the dude can thrive in this system like ed reed did then this will be one helluva year.
073107patsms02-762521.JPG

What's so funny about that? Dude has already had 2 Pro-Bowl quality years (got screwed over because the NFL felt the need to led John Lynch in
grin.gif
)

jets didn't need ty law last year, not like he made much of a difference when he came. should've just let dwight develop ..........

Co-sign. We would've been much better off with Rhodes roaming around then having him help Ty last year. Dwight was taking most of the reps any way.

894bd4ec7b717775d538fde5732873de.jpg

i wish, i've never been to a jet game. only to a couple giant games
smh.gif

everytime i wanna get tickets they're way too expensive ..........

i always heard that its weird how i root for teams. im the only jet fan in my family, everyone else is a giant fan.

usually its yanks, giants or jets, mets.

[h1]Jets up contract offer to disgruntled RB Leon Washington[/h1]
BY Rich Cimini
DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

Wednesday, August 12th 2009, 4:00 AM

[h2]Related News[/h2] [h3]Articles[/h3]
CORTLAND, N.Y. - When the Jets made their initial contract proposal to RB Leon Washington, believed to be around $2 million per year, he found it so insulting that he skipped some of the offseason workouts.

They've increased their offer considerably. According to sources, the Jets have an offer on the table that averages $4.5 million a year. Washington is believed to be seeking $6 million per year. Thing is, if the Jets go higher than $5million, they'd be paying him more than Thomas Jones, the starting tailback.

Washington is due to make $535,000 this season. The two sides continue to talk, although nothing appears imminent.

Are the Jets shopping Jones?

NationalFootballPost.com is reporting that the Jets called an NFC West team to gauge interest in Jones, who is unhappy with his contract. (Jones' brother, Julius, plays for the running back-needy Seahawks.) But the trade talk isn't true, according to a person familiar with the Jets' thinking.

HAPPY RETURN: The Jets will return to their old stomping grounds, Hofstra, for a one-night-only appearance. Practice starts at 5:45 p.m. at Hofstra Stadium. From there, the team will head to its headquarters in Florham Park, N.J., to make final preparations for the preseason opener Friday night against the Rams at the Meadowlands. After the game, they head back to Cortland for another week of camp. ... RT Damien Woody, who suffered an apparent concussion Monday, missed practice. He won't play against the Rams. Neither will C Nick Mangold (knee), NT Kris Jenkins (calf) and CB Darrelle Revis (hamstring). None of the injuries is believed to be serious. FB Tony Richardson (hip) might suit up....David Clowney and Wallace Wright were excused from practice for personal reasons.

CATCHING ON: Rookie WR Britt Davis made the catch of camp, a spinning, one-handed grab on a two-point conversion. It was thrown by Kellen Clemens, who recovered a high shotgun snap, rolled to his right and found Davis.

Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/f...2009-08-12_leon_washington.html#ixzz0O0JHzmBF

Pay that man what he wants
pimp.gif

Third-year wide receiver Chansi Stuckey sticking around with Jets

BY RICH CIMINI

DAILY NEWS SPORTS WRITER

It was a wide receiver's hat trick: First NFL game, first catch, first touchdown. That the pass was thrown by a future Hall of Famer made it a forevermoment for Chansi Stuckey, who hauled in a 22-yard, off-balance prayer from Brett Favre in the Jets' 2008 opener at Miami.

It became an instant classic for the Favre highlight reel, replayed countless times by ESPN during the retired quarterback's recent flirtation with theVikings. But it did little to increase Stuckey's profile.

"They mostly just show him throwing it, not the tail end of the play," a smiling Stuckey said during a break at Jets training camp.

The third-year receiver hopes to make some highlights of his own this season, plays that actually get on the air. Unless there's a big-name acquisitionbetween now and the season opener in Houston, Stuckey will replace Laveranues Coles (now of the Bengals) as the starting receiver opposite Jerricho Cotchery.

Stuckey is having a solid camp, moving ahead of Brad Smith, Wallace Wright and David Clowney in the pecking order for the No.2 job. Ideally, the Jets wouldlike to use him as the No.3 wideout, in the slot, but with Cotchery the only proven starter in the group, they're taking a chance on Chansi.

"I'm making the most of the opportunity I'm being presented, making all the plays," Stuckey said. "I've been catching the ball, andmy route running is getting better. I'm anxious to see how it's going to translate into the game."

After missing his rookie season with a foot injury, Stuckey, a former seventh-round pick from Clemson, finished with 32 receptions, 359 yards and threetouchdowns in 2008. Most of the production came from the slot, where he lined up as the inside receiver. All 32catches came with at least three receivers onthe field, according to STATS, LLC.

It's no wonder Stuckey is fighting the perception that he's strictly a slot receiver. Just the other day, Rex Ryan called him "a difference-makerin the slot." Stuckey appreciated the compliment, but he wants to be known as an all-around receiver. He vowed to shatter a potential stereotype.
"I'm not afraid of that because I'm not going to let it happen," he said. "I want to move around a lot and make plays everywhere."

An effective slot receiver can be a dangerous weapon. The prime example is the Patriots' Wes Welker. Former Jet Wayne Chrebet made a career in the slot,driving opponents mad with his ability to get open underneath. Actually, Stuckey is planning to sit down with Cotchery to study some old Chrebet tapes.

"I'm not saying he can't go outside, because he could, just like Chrebet, Welker and T.J. Houshmandzadeh, but they're hard as heck to cover inthe slot," said, Ryan whose team begins the preseason tomorrow night against the Rams. "It's not a negative toward Stuckey; it's apositive....He's so elusive that he's hard to cover."

But it's a different ballgame on the outside, where Stuckey likely will face more man-to-man coverage.

At least he'll always have last Sept.7. The Dolphins forgot to cover Stuckey on Favre's famous fourth-down heave, allowing him to wait patiently forthe floater to come down into his welcoming hands. Afterward, Favre signed the ball and gave it to Stuckey as a keepsake.

"Yeah, he gave it to me," Stuckey said. "He's got - what? - 5,000 touchdowns?"

pimp.gif
i like stuckey but we're gonna need to get a threat soon ..........

graf_jets.jpg

Sanchez is getting a short leash tomorrow night due to injuries on the O-line.

Gotta protect the rook, but both need the reps so.
ohwell.gif

And, I'm glad Woody & Tannenbaum increased the offer.

I said in another thread they should agree somewhere in the 5 yr-23M (15guaranteed) 4.2-4.5M per year deal
nerd.gif
... More than fair.

And I don't think Stuckey will be our answer for the #2, but no one else has really stepped up.
tired.gif
Was hoping for Brad Smith would be the guy, but he ain't showed up all camp.

can't wait for tonight, sanchez will only get a couple of series and so will clemens. ainge gonna get most of the snaps tonight.

amp to see my team tonight, jets and then the yanks. night sets up perfect
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom