Official 2009 NY Jets ( 9-7 ) Season Thread. Jets vs Colts 1/24 . AFC Championship !!!!

Jets
pimp.gif

Just making the playoffs is a big step towards next year and the future so this would be a nice win. Giants embarrassed themselves this season so hopefully theSanchize will make up for it and rep NY.

I feel bad for the Texans...so close.
Congrats Jets. Glad NY has some representation in the playoffs (im a giants fan.)

i was at the game last night, the crowd was crazy and into it the entire 60 minutes. jet fans are cool bunch as well, i ended up tailgating with some randomjets fans and ended up getting beers and food passed to me left and right the entire time before the game.

hopefully the jets can take care of things in the rematch next week as well.

Originally Posted by KingFoamNYC

Can u imagine if us and baltimore advance. THE MEADOWLANDS LIVES :LOL
that would be a dopeeee set up.
Rex Ryan vs. his old team.
2 top defenses.
2 top teams that can run the ball.
That would be just some smash-mouth football...

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

Can u imagine if us and baltimore advance. THE MEADOWLANDS LIVES :LOL
that would be a dopeeee set up.
Rex Ryan vs. his old team.
2 top defenses.
2 top teams that can run the ball.
That would be just some smash-mouth football...
The Meadowlands would not need to be demolished. The place would fall down on its own because of the noise from the crowd throughout the wholegame.

If the AFC Championship comes to the Meadowlands, the city of New York is going to be
pimp.gif

An update...

http://www.google.com/hostednews/canadianpress/article/ALeqM5jFtFz_3-dtlsbfsHLMjUpv1xrwAA
Report: Jets OC Schottenheimer turns down Bills' request to interview for coach

By THE ASSOCIATED PRESS (CP) - 2 hours ago

NEW YORK - New York Jets offensive co-ordinator Brian Schottenheimer reportedly has turned down the Buffalo Bills' request to interview him for their vacant head coaching job.

A sports news website, citing anonymous sources, reported Wednesday that Schottenheimer has told the Bills he does not want to talk to them about the position this week, or after the Jets' playoff run is over.

New York plays at San Diego on Sunday in the AFC divisional round.

The Bills asked for and received permission Monday from the Jets to speak with Schottenheimer, who last week said he's happy in New York and hopes "I'm here for a long time."

Schottenheimer has previously interviewed for several other head coaching jobs, including with the Jets, who instead hired Rex Ryan last year.

Copyright [emoji]169[/emoji] 2010 The Canadian Press. All rights reserved.

Dude is really content at where he is.
100% if Mangini was still here, he would have took the first head coaching offer. But he stated he loved working for Rex, the development of Sanchez andworking with our young offense as a whole.
This showcases the morale of the team, where Rex single-handedly changed the culture of the team.
pimp.gif

Another article I enjoyed...
[h1]New York Jets offensive line ready to grapple with San Diego Chargers[/h1]
By Rich Cimini
DAILY NEWS SPORTS

Wednesday, January 13th 2010, 4:00 AM

The Jets' offensive line has a message for the Chargers: Pack a lunch. Maybe dinner, too, because it's going to be a long day.

"You might stop us a couple of times," right tackle Damien Woody said Tuesday, "but we're going to come after you the whole game."

The Jets believe they can run the ball on anybody and, although no one admitted it publicly, there's a sense that the Chargers are vulnerable. They're allowing 118 yards per game (20th), including a fat 5.1 per-carry average over the last seven games.

Rex Ryan's crew prides itself on being the most physical line in the league, and the stats back it up. With the Jets, it's 4.5 yards and a cloud of dis. They love making the opponent look bad.

"When you watch our running backs get through the line and just pound on safeties and linebackers, you know that has an effect on the other team," center Nick Mangold said. "You feel it, you know it. It's a great feeling to have, especially after a win, knowing you just physically beat up somebody."

The Jets' line, which includes left tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson, left guard Alan Faneca and right guard Brandon Moore, has been in tact for 32 consecutive games - the longest streak in the NFL. The chemistry is so good they can make adjustments without talking to each other.

It happened in the fourth quarter of their wild-card win over the Bengals, who tried to confuse them with a weakside blitz. Normally, a lineman would call out an audible to the rest of the group, but the Jets' linemen adjusted the protection scheme without any signals.

"We all kind of felt it coming," Moore said. "We didn't have to say anything. It was how we drill it in practice."

Shonn Greene busted through left tackle for a 14-yard gain, thanks to a subtle, spontaneous adjustment that no fan could've noticed. Even Moore was taken by it, thinking to himself, "Wow, that's pretty impressive."

Woody said the ability to communicate non-verbally makes it tougher for the defense because it can't steal signals.

"They don't know what we're doing," he said. "That's the advantage of us playing together for a long period of time."

The Jets' offensive line has ravaged its recent opponents. In the last three games, the Jets have rushed for 202, 257 and 171 yards. Woody said they've dominated some teams to the point where he's heard opposing players muttering to themselves on the field.

"This is an offensive lineman's dream," he said. "Just run the ball - run, run. Impose your will. That's what it's all about."

Reminded of the Chargers' struggles against the run, Woody simply smiled.

Thomas Jones + Shonn Greene = 180 yds on the ground... count it.

eyes.gif
This guy Schotty...

I still say he should be fired for that losing streak, but it's whatever.... if he really wants to stay, then I guess it's good for Sanchez.
grin.gif

laugh.gif
smh.gif

"When you watch our running backs get through the line and just pound on safeties and linebackers, you know that has an effect on the other team," center Nick Mangold said. "You feel it, you know it. It's a great feeling to have, especially after a win, knowing you just physically beat up somebody."
10erpli.jpg

I'm glad Schotty is staying with us. Going through multiple OCs is bad for a young QB (see: Alex Smith). Plus, I heard that if Schotty left, we would begoing after Mike Martz
sick.gif

Originally Posted by pokeyneil30

how are you gonna run all over us if your down 2 scores all game?
I love these Charger fans, They swear the have the best team.
grin.gif
laugh.gif

How's Rivers gunna throw if he's on the ground all day?
pimp.gif

JOLT THE BOLTS!
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

grin.gif
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

JOLT THE BOLTS!
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

i honestly dont think anybody can beat this team this year, in all seriousness i think the jets have the best chance of beating us because of matchups. aclassic "unstoppable force vs immovable object" or w.e that cliche is. with that said, i still dont think they can beat us especially since its ahome game and we've had a lot of time for rest. btw, your d is tied for 18th in the league for sacks, so thats not exactly gonna get the job done ofputting rivers "on the ground all day"

[h1]Preaching Power, Jets' Callahan Finds Fresh Start[/h1]
articleLarge.jpg

David Drapkin/Associated Press
Having worked as a coordinator and a head coach at the pro and college levels, Bill Callahan, center, believes he can better appreciate the simplicity of coaching one position.

By GREG BISHOP

Published: January 15, 2010

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. - The Jets' offensive linemen laugh at the way Bill Callahan approaches football. They find his methods endearing, unusual and effective.
http://
For most of his coaching life, Callahan has focused on offensive linemen, the game's anonymous, unruly brutes. But what may seem simple on the surface - large offensive players shoving large defensive players backward - Callahan sees through the exacting lens of a football scientist.

This, combined with his propensity for wearing preppy sweaters, earned him the nickname By the Book Bill. But more than that, after Callahan was fired by the Oakland Raiders and the University of Nebraska, those methods have guided his career rebuilding.

"This is the most content I've been," Callahan said Thursday. "Going back into the dungeon, the laboratory, has been great for me. I have a new lease on life."

The Jets sometimes wonder how Callahan ended up here. They ask how a man who played quarterback at Illinois Benedictine College (he was a National Association of Intercollegiate Athletics honorable mention all-American in 1976 and 1977) became immersed in all things protection, a guru of the grunts.

Offensive tackle Matt Slauson has a theory: he thinks Callahan played behind an offensive line so porous that he spent seasons running for his life. "I mean, you look at him, and you're like, no way he's an offensive line coach," Slauson said. "He must have been hit a ton and vowed to protect quarterbacks forever."

Callahan wanted to coach quarterbacks at Illinois, where he started his coaching career, but his mentor, Coach Mike White, firmly believed young assistants needed to learn the essence of line play as a knowledge base.

At 25 years old, Callahan found himself standing in front of 26 offensive linemen, never the prettiest group to look at. Right then, he asked himself a simple question: What am I going to do now?

He found that he loved the "schematics" involved, the "variables," the way pure strength hinged on leverage and angles. He likened it to solving a crossword puzzle and he called himself a fundamentalist, in the football sense.

His current players describe him as a technician, concerned with the tiniest details, from precisely where a foot should land to the degree it should be turned.

Offensive tackle D'Brickashaw Ferguson said his first conversation with Callahan two years ago centered on hand placement. Ferguson largely credits Callahan with his rise to this season's Pro Bowl, and that started with the details, with not only understanding information but also knowing how to mine and apply it.

If Callahan went any deeper, center Nick Mangold said, the linemen would be discussing big-toe placement.

"That's why I'm proud to call him my O-line coach," Mangold said. "He's at such an advanced level in knowledge of the game, but he has an uncanny ability to translate it down to us normal people."

Of course, line play still comes down to large, physical men imposing their will on defenders. What happens beyond that is where Callahan believes the Jets have an advantage. His linemen approach their craft from a technical standpoint, and that allows them to play faster and with more confidence.

The result: three made the Pro Bowl. The running game, coordinated by Callahan, who is also an assistant head coach, ranked No. 1 in the N.F.L.

Slowly, Callahan has moved away from the two tenures that have largely defined him and become known as more than just a head coach who was fired in both the pros and college.

In Oakland, Callahan took the Raiders to the Super Bowl in his first season (2002) and was fired after his second. At Nebraska, he coached the team that ended the program's streak of 35 consecutive bowl appearances in 2004. His tenure there helped lead to the fall of a once-proud program. It was marked by an unsuccessful switch to a pro-style West Coast offense; by what former players considered his disregard for the program's tradition; and by the faith he put in his defensive coordinator, his good friend Kevin Cosgrove, despite the continued failings of the defense.

When Callahan looks back, which is rarely, he sees positives mixed with disappointments. He said he would have done things differently, in philosophy and regimen, but declined to elaborate.

He said he learned what not to say, like when he called the Raiders the "dumbest team in America." He said he coaches with fewer emotions now.

Mostly, Callahan reiterated that he has moved on. Slauson is a testament to that. He played for Callahan at Nebraska, but with the Jets, their relationship has changed. Slauson said he learned more from Callahan in the past six months than he had ever learned in anything, including his four years at Nebraska.

Slauson also said Callahan appeared more contented and more relaxed. He described a coach who works on scouting reports until 3 a.m. yet smiles the next morning, a smile that seemed banished at Nebraska.

Callahan can focus on his linemen. He instructs Mangold on the finer points of wine consumption. He attends their dinners, which means something because offensive linemen tend to deny outsiders. Callahan is one of them. He speaks their language.

"It's a world unto itself," Callahan said. "We thrive in that world."

But now, Callahan is equipped with the lessons he learned as a head coach. He learned that football teams are imperfect experiments, that with losing comes scrutiny and with firings come grand shifts in perception.

Having worked as a coordinator and a head coach at the pro and college levels, Callahan believes he can better appreciate the simplicity of coaching one position. Asked if he one day wanted to return to those jobs, Callahan did not answer directly. He said he wanted to savor the years ahead, enjoy the players.

"At his core, he loves being an offensive line coach," Mangold said.

Thanks, Mangini.
smile.gif

^ I was going to say the same thing...
Rex did a great job of keeping the necessary people from Mangini's old regime...
Brian Schotty, Bill Callahan and even Bob Sutton.. and mixing in some new one's - Pettine.
Each and every article I've read aboutthe coaches stated that for the first time in their lives... they were content on where they are.
This is coming from a coach who can easily be a Head Coach of an NFL franchise in Schottenheimer and a former HC, who coached in the superbowl, in Callahan.
.. shows the personality of Rex as a coach, and as a person.

Rex Got Robbed.
smh.gif
Marvin Lewis? Where the hell do I begin?
Rookie Head Coach + Rookie QB still in the playoffs is very impressive...
but I still respect the decision.
the team went through a lot... obviously with the passing of Chris Henry.
But if you look at it..
they were 10-6 after a 4-11-1 season, with a questionable Carson Palmer coming back from a serious injury...
Could of gone either way.

I say Revis not winning the DPOY award was more of a travesty...

Originally Posted by J Steezzz

grin.gif
laugh.gif

pimp.gif

JOLT THE BOLTS!
smokin.gif
smokin.gif
smokin.gif

i honestly dont think anybody can beat this team this year, in all seriousness i think the jets have the best chance of beating us because of matchups. a classic "unstoppable force vs immovable object" or w.e that cliche is. with that said, i still dont think they can beat us especially since its a home game and we've had a lot of time for rest. btw, your d is tied for 18th in the league for sacks, so thats not exactly gonna get the job done of putting rivers "on the ground all day"
You don't have to record a sack to put a QB on his butt. Look at Tom brady in Week 2

Originally Posted by Copp 2 Of Em

Rex Got Robbed.
smh.gif
Marvin Lewis? Where the hell do I begin?
Rookie Head Coach + Rookie QB still in the playoffs is very impressive...
but I still respect the decision.
the team went through a lot... obviously with the passing of Chris Henry.
But if you look at it..
they were 10-6 after a 4-11-1 season, with a questionable Carson Palmer coming back from a serious injury...
Could of gone either way.

I say Revis not winning the DPOY award was more of a travesty...

I actually agree with everything you just said. Good post man

Back
Top Bottom