OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

We get it Kev, you're nice at FF
laugh.gif

Don't you have like 50? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Is this joke even really funny anymore?
ohwell.gif

Yeah, the T'Wolves have a lot of point guards/small guards.

Does anybody ever bring up the Mavericks though? Kidd, Beaubois, Barea and Terry.
What about the Bulls? Rose, Watson, Lucas.
Pacers? Collison, Ford and AJ Price.
Maybe the Nets? Farmar, Harris and Ben Uzoh.
Bobcats? Augustin, Livingston and Sherron Collins?

^ Just like all those squads, the Timberwolves have three PGs on their roster. And trust this, there's plenty of other teams with 3 PGs... however those are just a few I could think of.
laugh.gif

I'm sure the rebuttal will be "Oh well you guys have Rubio too" well yeah. We do... in Europe. He's not technically on the roster yet and there's a lot of people on this board with the opinion that he won't ever be. Hey, the Lakers have Sergei Lishouk and Chinemelu Elonu chillin overseas but do you list them when you're talking about your front court depth? Hell no
laugh.gif

The PG jokes are just out of hand now
laugh.gif
... in reality the Wolves aren't any different from the rest.

Don't you have like 50? 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif

Is this joke even really funny anymore?
ohwell.gif

Yeah, the T'Wolves have a lot of point guards/small guards.

Does anybody ever bring up the Mavericks though? Kidd, Beaubois, Barea and Terry.
What about the Bulls? Rose, Watson, Lucas.
Pacers? Collison, Ford and AJ Price.
Maybe the Nets? Farmar, Harris and Ben Uzoh.
Bobcats? Augustin, Livingston and Sherron Collins?

^ Just like all those squads, the Timberwolves have three PGs on their roster. And trust this, there's plenty of other teams with 3 PGs... however those are just a few I could think of.
laugh.gif

I'm sure the rebuttal will be "Oh well you guys have Rubio too" well yeah. We do... in Europe. He's not technically on the roster yet and there's a lot of people on this board with the opinion that he won't ever be. Hey, the Lakers have Sergei Lishouk and Chinemelu Elonu chillin overseas but do you list them when you're talking about your front court depth? Hell no
laugh.gif

The PG jokes are just out of hand now
laugh.gif
... in reality the Wolves aren't any different from the rest.

Well great, you have 3, plus Rubio, and now you just wanted to add OJ as another one. 

So I mean, the joke has merit there ya know? 
laugh.gif

And sorry, when you have back to back draft picks, and take a PG with both, forgive me for havin the Detroit Lions joke at the ready. 

Well great, you have 3, plus Rubio, and now you just wanted to add OJ as another one. 

So I mean, the joke has merit there ya know? 
laugh.gif

And sorry, when you have back to back draft picks, and take a PG with both, forgive me for havin the Detroit Lions joke at the ready. 

Well the OJ to Chicago trade is basically shot down.
The guy that has Grizz insider access from 3sob said that its just a rumor started by some random guy. He said it is possible that OJ's name has been thrown out there by teams, but that doesn't mean Heisley is looking to deal him unless he gets an unbelievable offer.

Well the OJ to Chicago trade is basically shot down.
The guy that has Grizz insider access from 3sob said that its just a rumor started by some random guy. He said it is possible that OJ's name has been thrown out there by teams, but that doesn't mean Heisley is looking to deal him unless he gets an unbelievable offer.

Random question......

If a player is injured does the team pay his salary for the year or does an insurance company pay his salary?
Take Yao Ming, he's been hurt for a couple years now....who is paying his salary the Rockets or an Insurance company?
Anybody know what insurance companies work with NBA teams? 

Random question......

If a player is injured does the team pay his salary for the year or does an insurance company pay his salary?
Take Yao Ming, he's been hurt for a couple years now....who is paying his salary the Rockets or an Insurance company?
Anybody know what insurance companies work with NBA teams? 

By Benjamin Polk
Archive
In 2004 and 2005, as my Timberwolves were just beginning their long, painful shame spiral, the Phoenix Suns gave me a reason to keep on loving the NBA. There were many good reasons for this: their defiance of orthodox positionality; their feverish pace of play and relentless scoring; the palpable joy they brought to the game.

But the biggest reason the Suns enchanted me was the on-court relationship between Steve Nash and Amar’e Stoudemire. To the casual observer, the two seem as ill-matched as a some oddball pair in a buddy comedy, and just as racially typecast. The savvy, selfless, veteran (white) tactician meets the brash, unschooled but athletically magnificent rim-crushing (black) manchild. Hilarious misunderstandings ensue.

But the reality was that Nash and Stoudemire were meant for each other; their skills intertwined in radical and breathtaking ways. And so it was incredibly sad for me when the Suns allowed the final remnants of their juggernaut to dissolve by pushing Amar’e out the door.

Even sadder was the discourse that built up around Stoudemire’s free agent signing with the Knicks. The question that posed itself was: which one of these players was more important to the other? Some folks believed that Nash would suddenly cease to be an offensive miracle worker without his finisher. But many more wondered whether Amar’e would still be Amar’e without the point guard that made him who he is. That so many of us called the Knicks’ signing of Amar’e the worst move of the summer revealed that we had bought into this way of thinking: Nash was the cerebral genius, Amar’e the muscle.

But it hasn’t really turned out that way. Amar’e’s PER of 23.1 is his best in three years. He is the league’s second-leading scorer. He is leading a Knick resurgence that is captivating the league. Subtler differences make his accomplishments even more amazing. Raymond Felton, Stoudemire’s new running mate, may be a skilled and conscientious playmaker but, like just about everybody, he lacks Nash’s miraculous gifts of vision and passing. He and Stoudemire have yet to develop a pick-and-roll rapport that even approaches the fluency of vintage Nash-Amar’e.

So this season, Stoudemire has had to bear a much greater burden of creating his own scoring opportunities, finding a many of his looks from faceups and isolations (last year, 61.2% of his baskets were assisted; this year, it’s 49.2%). Even so, he’s posting a true shooting percentage of almost 58.9%, down just 1 ½ points from last season. And when he does find himself in a pick-and-roll situation, he’s actually more efficient than he was last year. He is, in other words, a really tough cover.

Stoudemire’s departure has also had some significant effects on the Suns. Unsurprisingly, Phoenix has lacked interior scoring this year. Nash has had to generate scoring opportunities by probing the perimeter and by relying even more heavily on his astonishing ability to create (and see) passing lanes with his exploratory wanderings through the lane. That both his assist rate and scoring (in volume and in efficiency) are up this season, speak to just how shockingly good the guy is.

Nevertheless, Sebastian Pruiti (with help from the Heat and their throttling D) showed us just how much easier defending Suns has become, despite Nash’s magic. Without Stoudemire, the Suns have scored three points fewer per 100 possessions. They play at a slower pace—probably because they are able to generate fewer easy points off of pick-and-rolls early in the shot clock—and get fewer shots at the rim.

More surprisingly, considering Amar’e’s well-earned reputation as a mediocre defender and rebounder (mediocre, that is, given his deluxe physical gifts), Phoenix’s defense is also nearly four points worse per 100 possessions and they grab 3% fewer rebounds; what’s more, New York’s D is 3.5 points better per 100. It seems that Stoudemire was important to the Suns in more ways than we ever understood.

As time has gone on, we’ve begun to see how these two have spilled over the boundaries of those preconceived roles. Nash has always been more physically gifted than he’s been given credit for, his performance as much a product of elite athleticism—balance, strength, dexterity, hand-eye coordination— than of anything as abstractly cognitive as “basketball IQ.

By Benjamin Polk
Archive
In 2004 and 2005, as my Timberwolves were just beginning their long, painful shame spiral, the Phoenix Suns gave me a reason to keep on loving the NBA. There were many good reasons for this: their defiance of orthodox positionality; their feverish pace of play and relentless scoring; the palpable joy they brought to the game.

But the biggest reason the Suns enchanted me was the on-court relationship between Steve Nash and Amar’e Stoudemire. To the casual observer, the two seem as ill-matched as a some oddball pair in a buddy comedy, and just as racially typecast. The savvy, selfless, veteran (white) tactician meets the brash, unschooled but athletically magnificent rim-crushing (black) manchild. Hilarious misunderstandings ensue.

But the reality was that Nash and Stoudemire were meant for each other; their skills intertwined in radical and breathtaking ways. And so it was incredibly sad for me when the Suns allowed the final remnants of their juggernaut to dissolve by pushing Amar’e out the door.

Even sadder was the discourse that built up around Stoudemire’s free agent signing with the Knicks. The question that posed itself was: which one of these players was more important to the other? Some folks believed that Nash would suddenly cease to be an offensive miracle worker without his finisher. But many more wondered whether Amar’e would still be Amar’e without the point guard that made him who he is. That so many of us called the Knicks’ signing of Amar’e the worst move of the summer revealed that we had bought into this way of thinking: Nash was the cerebral genius, Amar’e the muscle.

But it hasn’t really turned out that way. Amar’e’s PER of 23.1 is his best in three years. He is the league’s second-leading scorer. He is leading a Knick resurgence that is captivating the league. Subtler differences make his accomplishments even more amazing. Raymond Felton, Stoudemire’s new running mate, may be a skilled and conscientious playmaker but, like just about everybody, he lacks Nash’s miraculous gifts of vision and passing. He and Stoudemire have yet to develop a pick-and-roll rapport that even approaches the fluency of vintage Nash-Amar’e.

So this season, Stoudemire has had to bear a much greater burden of creating his own scoring opportunities, finding a many of his looks from faceups and isolations (last year, 61.2% of his baskets were assisted; this year, it’s 49.2%). Even so, he’s posting a true shooting percentage of almost 58.9%, down just 1 ½ points from last season. And when he does find himself in a pick-and-roll situation, he’s actually more efficient than he was last year. He is, in other words, a really tough cover.

Stoudemire’s departure has also had some significant effects on the Suns. Unsurprisingly, Phoenix has lacked interior scoring this year. Nash has had to generate scoring opportunities by probing the perimeter and by relying even more heavily on his astonishing ability to create (and see) passing lanes with his exploratory wanderings through the lane. That both his assist rate and scoring (in volume and in efficiency) are up this season, speak to just how shockingly good the guy is.

Nevertheless, Sebastian Pruiti (with help from the Heat and their throttling D) showed us just how much easier defending Suns has become, despite Nash’s magic. Without Stoudemire, the Suns have scored three points fewer per 100 possessions. They play at a slower pace—probably because they are able to generate fewer easy points off of pick-and-rolls early in the shot clock—and get fewer shots at the rim.

More surprisingly, considering Amar’e’s well-earned reputation as a mediocre defender and rebounder (mediocre, that is, given his deluxe physical gifts), Phoenix’s defense is also nearly four points worse per 100 possessions and they grab 3% fewer rebounds; what’s more, New York’s D is 3.5 points better per 100. It seems that Stoudemire was important to the Suns in more ways than we ever understood.

As time has gone on, we’ve begun to see how these two have spilled over the boundaries of those preconceived roles. Nash has always been more physically gifted than he’s been given credit for, his performance as much a product of elite athleticism—balance, strength, dexterity, hand-eye coordination— than of anything as abstractly cognitive as “basketball IQ.

The NBA fined Celtics center Shaquille O'Neal $35,000 Monday for public comments about the officiating following Boston's 86-78 Christmas Day loss to the Magic in Orlando.

O'Neal fouled out in only 13 minutes of playing time and sounded off after the game.

"I guess they came out to see No. 26 today," O'Neal said, referring to official No. 26, Bob Delaney. "... He was a great player out there today.

"They [fans] paid all that money to watch No. 26 play. If I was a fan, I would be pissed. You pay all that money for good seats, you have two of the best guys in the [NBA] sitting on the bench, out of the game. That is what happens when you have control freaks out there."

Orlando's Dwight Howard picked up five fouls, including a technical, while being held to six points in 33 minutes.

"It's just two good guys going out there hard," O'Neal said of his battle with Howard. "I just wish we had the opportunity to play."

O'Neal scored his only two points seconds before fouling out in the fourth quarter. His 13 minutes were by far the fewest in any of the 63 games in which he's fouled out in his career.

The NBA fined Celtics center Shaquille O'Neal $35,000 Monday for public comments about the officiating following Boston's 86-78 Christmas Day loss to the Magic in Orlando.

O'Neal fouled out in only 13 minutes of playing time and sounded off after the game.

"I guess they came out to see No. 26 today," O'Neal said, referring to official No. 26, Bob Delaney. "... He was a great player out there today.

"They [fans] paid all that money to watch No. 26 play. If I was a fan, I would be pissed. You pay all that money for good seats, you have two of the best guys in the [NBA] sitting on the bench, out of the game. That is what happens when you have control freaks out there."

Orlando's Dwight Howard picked up five fouls, including a technical, while being held to six points in 33 minutes.

"It's just two good guys going out there hard," O'Neal said of his battle with Howard. "I just wish we had the opportunity to play."

O'Neal scored his only two points seconds before fouling out in the fourth quarter. His 13 minutes were by far the fewest in any of the 63 games in which he's fouled out in his career.

Charlotte is giving Larry Brown a big +$#@ you right now. Up by 21 points in the 2nd quarter, without gerald wallace.

Charlotte is giving Larry Brown a big +$#@ you right now. Up by 21 points in the 2nd quarter, without gerald wallace.

Originally Posted by woody2626

Not that big of a deal. They have some winnable games coming up including this one. 
Now, if they keep it up then its a different story.

Originally Posted by woody2626

Not that big of a deal. They have some winnable games coming up including this one. 
Now, if they keep it up then its a different story.

Back
Top Bottom