OFFICIAL 2010-2011 NBA PLAYOFFS THREAD : VOL. MOST. ANTICIPATED. PLAYOFFS. EVER?

HBD JA.

LA vs SPURS tonight. Just one game of an 82 game season. No need to get hype/sad over a game in DECEMBER on a Tuesday.

SPURS need to take this game as a chance to improve in all aspects of the game.

GO SPURS GO!
f4e16f43b48cec5ce96f7cbcebbd3986d24379af.gif

HBD JA.

LA vs SPURS tonight. Just one game of an 82 game season. No need to get hype/sad over a game in DECEMBER on a Tuesday.

SPURS need to take this game as a chance to improve in all aspects of the game.

GO SPURS GO!
f4e16f43b48cec5ce96f7cbcebbd3986d24379af.gif

Amusing to me how I have said for years that NBA regular season never matters, and now all of a sudden people mock it and try to claim it's false. 
laugh.gif

Apparently they've only just begun watching the NBA. 

Amusing to me how I have said for years that NBA regular season never matters, and now all of a sudden people mock it and try to claim it's false. 
laugh.gif

Apparently they've only just begun watching the NBA. 

Hopefully Tyreke decides to do the surgery now.. Good thing I didn't accept this trade in fantasy basketball where I was getting him though 
laugh.gif

Hopefully Tyreke decides to do the surgery now.. Good thing I didn't accept this trade in fantasy basketball where I was getting him though 
laugh.gif

Happy Birthday JA
pimp.gif

Choosing an All-Star team is never easy, but in the Western Conference this season it may be particularly difficult.

While the East and West aren't that far apart in the standings, they're still miles apart in depth of star power. Once again we find ourselves scraping the barrel to come up with 12 players in the East worthy of an All-Star selection, while in the West we must winnow down a much larger field.

Additionally, the West offers one particular wrinkle this season that may be unusual for the coaches doing the selecting -- the huge volume of players from bad-to-middling teams who are having All-Star caliber seasons.

This season's process may fly in the face of standard operating procedure, which is to fill the ballot with players from teams with winning records and deign to select players from sub-.500 teams only if they have an overwhelming case for inclusion. And by "overwhelming," I'm talking KG-in-Minnesota levels.

Indeed, the Western coaches could very well fill out the roster simply by taking players from teams with the top seven records, and they'd end up with 12 defensible choices at the end of it: Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and either Paul Millsap or David West. Given the historical trend in this department, there's a fairly strong chance this will happen.

On the other hand, a list of the top 16 Western players in estimated wins added (EWA) includes only nine of those players, giving us seven interlopers from the West's lower classes with reasonably strong All-Star cases. Let's take a look at the résumés and see who might buck the recent trend:

Kevin Love, Minnesota (PER 23.67)
Love's team is a dismal 8-24, which normally would make him persona non grata for the coaches when making their All-Star picks. In this case, however, his résumé may be so overwhelming that he still gets in. Love leads the league in rebounding with a phenomenal 15.3 per game, even though his coach was limiting his minutes early in the season. He's also averaging 20.6 points per game with high efficiency, including a 44.1 percent mark on 3s, and is money from the line (87.6 percent). As a gold-medal winner for Team USA with a propensity for racking up headline-grabbing rebound totals, his statistical prowess might get him a closer look from the coaches.

Can all this overcome the name of the team on the front of his jersey? Based on history, I have my doubts, especially given how packed the Western Conference power forward position is -- it will be easy for coaches to find alternatives if they go searching. Nonetheless, Love's play thus far makes his candidacy hard to ignore, and in a fair world he'd get in.

Steve Nash, Phoenix (PER 23.63)
There may not be much room left at the inn for Western Conference guards, as Bryant, Paul, Westbrook, Williams and Ginobili are near-certain picks, leaving a maximum of one roster spot left over. The likes of Nash and Kevin Martin will vie with Parker for that spot.

Which, ironically, could leave Nash on the outs despite his threatening to set a career-high mark in PER. Nash's per-40-minute totals (21.0 points, 13.1 assists) remain phenomenal, and despite some unusually wayward 3-point shooting, his 61.5 true shooting percentage is stellar for a third straight season.

Unfortunately, the dismantling of the Suns' formidable supporting cast may work against him in the All-Star voting. Because of Phoenix's sub-.500 record, coaches will be more willing to ignore him in favor of Parker; and playing in a Western Conference where three point guards are MVP candidates does Nash few favors, even as a two-time MVP himself.

Nonetheless, I'd argue he's more worthy than Parker as the sixth Western guard, and if any injuries crop up, he'd be an easy replacement choice.

Kevin Martin, Houston (PER 22.58)
Here's an amazing stat for you: Martin leads the league in both 3-pointers made and free throws made. He'll be the first player in history to accomplish that double if he keeps it up the rest of the season.

Even more amazing, perhaps, is that he's doing this while playing only 31.8 minutes per game. As a result, Martin's scoring average (23.4) looks good rather than amazing, but on a per-minute basis, only Kobe Bryant scores more frequently.

Will those statistical markers be good enough to get him selected from a .500 team? (Houston players make this list because the team started 3-10 and didn't reach .500 until its comeback win over the Wizards on Monday.) I have my doubts.

First, Martin doesn't fit a lot of people's stereotype of what a go-to player "ought" to look like -- he rarely has the ball in his hands except when he's depositing it in the basket. This, unfortunately, tends to hurt his standing with old-school types. Second, there are some legitimate criticisms of his defense. Third, his teams haven't had a lot of success. And finally, the relatively low minutes and per-game totals are going to hurt him.

Blake Griffin, LA Clippers (PER 22.40)
Coaches get one pick for backup center, and I'd love to see them stretch the definition and include Griffin as that player. His YouTube dunk collection speaks for itself, but he's done a lot of the nuts and bolts of making an All-Star team too, by averaging 21.2 points, 12.5 boards and shooting 51.9 percent.

Like the other players here, Griffin has a major negative on the front of his jersey. The Paper Clips are just 10-22 in a conference that could have 11 teams finish at .500 or better. Will the coaches really plumb the depths of the standings this far down?

He faces another challenge known as "Kevin Love." One might imagine the coaches reaching for one exceptional player at the bottom of the standings -- but two? Given recent history, that seems highly unlikely. Yet on pure merit, Griffin probably belongs.

Luis Scola, Rockets (PER 19.85)
Despite an impressive start to his season and a résumé that would almost certainly get him selected in the East, Scola has virtually no chance of making the Western squad. I don't list him here to belittle his credentials, but rather to illustrate the incredible depth of the Western Conference power forward position this year. Scola, Love, Griffin, Millsap, West and Nowitzki appear to be competing for a maximum of four spots and perhaps as few as two. And that list leaves off other luminaries having strong years, including LaMarcus Aldridge, Zach Randolph and Lamar Odom.

(Side note: After hearing Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy talk about Lamar Odom's All-Star candidacy on the Christmas Day broadcast, one might think he holds a more prominent place in the West pecking order. In reality, he's fairly far down the list, especially if the Lakers stay in only third place in the West.)

Eric Gordon, LA Clippers (21.19) and Monta Ellis, Warriors (20.40)
Gordon has no chance whatsoever because of Griffin's candidacy -- it's almost inconceivable that coaches will write two names from the 10-22 Clippers on their ballots when submitting just one name from such a squad is a rare feat in itself. Nonetheless, I wanted to note his impressive start to the season, one that has him tied for 11th in the West in EWA.

The man he's tied with, Ellis, is in a similar conundrum. Like Gordon, he is playing a ton of minutes for a lousy team (Golden State stands at 12-18), and the depth of the guard position out West and his team's aversion to defense both conspire against him. So does his plus/minus; while better than last season's league-worst differential, it still doesn't make much of a case that he's a difference-making player. The Warriors have been only 0.8 points per 100 possessions better when he's on the court compared to when he's on the bench.

As with the players above, Ellis' strengths -- a stellar 25.4 points per 40 minutes and improved shooting percentages -- would probably be enough to help him make the cut in the East. In this conference, however, he faces long odds to selection, as do most of the other names on this list from the lower regions of the Western Conference standings.

http://[h3]
[h3]Sidney's NBA prospects[/h3]
1:09PM ET

[h5]Renadro Sidney [/h5]

[img]http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0720/nba_logo_65.jpg[/img]
Mississippi State's Renardo Sidney has the talent to be an NBA player, but his unbecoming conduct -- his most recent incident, a Thursday fight in the stands with a teammate at the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii has him suspended indefinitely -- is potentially derailing his chances of ever getting drafted.

As ESPN's Chad Ford details, if Sidney is let back on the team, he'll need to not only play well, but prove he has grown up a bit in order to be in better standing with NBA scouts and teams:

ford_chad_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Chad Ford[/h5]
Scouts 'deeply concerned' with Sidney's maturity
"Sidney can play basketball. That has never been the question. He's as skilled of a big man as you'll see. He can score from anywhere, can handle and see the floor like a guard, has deep range on his jumper and can dominate a game on the offensive end of the floor. But off the court? The kid is a mess ... Whether Sidney is kicked off the team, or merely has to sit out a few more games, doesn't matter much from a NBA standpoint. Before the incident, a number of scouts told me that they were deeply concerned with Sidney's maturity and that the Mississippi State coaching staff had been struggling to coach him. Whether he started the fight or not doesn't change the equation that it was a stupid thing to do. A mature Sidney would've walked away. The NBA always has tolerance for troubled-but-talented teens. But Sidney has developed a rep that will be hard to shake. If he's allowed back on the team, he'll not only have to play well, he'll have to show he's finally learning from the incident and is starting to grow up. If the draft were held today, Sidney would likely go undrafted. But the fact that he's just 21 years old and has lived most of his life in a consequence-free bubble means that there's still time to change. We'll all be watching closely to see if it happens. It will be a massive waste of talent if it doesn't."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Westbrook's elbow[/h3]
12:48PM ET

[h5]Russell Westbrook | Thunder [/h5]

Russell Westbrook suffered a right elbow injury on Monday night against the Mavericks after hitting the floor hard -- causing him to leave the game.

But from all indications, he should be OK.

John Rohde of The Oklahoman reported that coach Scott Brooks indicated after the game that Westbrook was "fine" and that he's expected to practice Tuesday.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports added this via Twitter: "Westbrook, who left loss to Mavs clutching his elbow, is fine, source close to him says. 'Just hit his funny bone.'"

If for whatever reason Westbrook does end up missing any time because of the injury, expect Eric Maynor to start in his place at point guard.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Beaubois still not near a return[/h3]
11:58AM ET

[h5]Rodrigue Beaubois | Mavericks [/h5]

UPDATE: Despite his increased workload we detailed below on Dec. 20, coach Rick Carlisle indicated Monday on 1310 AM The Ticket that Beaubois' return is far from imminent.

"I'm not going to talk about Roddy's situation until it becomes something imminent," he said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "We're a ways away from that. To get into that stuff and speculate this or that and how it's going to disrupt chemistry is a negative conversation. We have to make sure we can get him healthy. His activity level has been stepped up. Those are all positive things. That's going to be one of those good problems I'm looking forward to having."

---

Since undergoing surgery in early August on his left foot, Rodrigue Beaubois has been slow to heal.

But according to Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News, Beaubois will start walking on an underwater treadmill this week. If the returns are positive, Beaubois told Sefko he might be allowed do some light work on the court.

There's still no concrete timetable on Beaubois' return, but if he's able to get back and do some light court work somewhat soon, it's possible his season debut will start to come into clearer focus in the coming weeks.

There were indications this summer Beaubois could start at shooting guard for the team after a strong rookie season, but it's unlikely he'll win that spot upon his initial return.

With DeShawn Stevenson exceeding expectations in a starting role and Jason Terry doing his thing as the team's sixth man, Beaubois will have some competition at the position -- though he could compete for playing time with J.J. Barea as Jason Kidd's backup at point guard as well.

-- Ryan Corazza

hollinger_john_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's John Hollinger[/h5]
Beaubois could play either guard spot
"Beaubois was so good as a rookie that the Mavs have no choice but to play him, even though they don't have a rotation spot open for him. He came in second on the Mavs on points per minutes last season at 22.7, while achieving the second-best TS% among shooting guards. He also led all rookies in PER, albeit in just 700 minutes. This is based on a small minutes sample so he's unlikely to shoot quite that well over a full season, but he doesn't have to. If he just takes better care of the ball, he can be a devastating scoring option at either guard spot. Although his projection for this season is equally optimistic, it's based on the same small minutes sample so it should be taken with a grain of salt. Beaubois ranked 61st out of 66 shooting guards in turnover ratio, but even here there is good news. Rookies with high turnover rates tend to progress much more in subsequent seasons than their counterparts with low rates, so his mistakes can be considered part of the learning curve. Of greater concern is his ultimate position. He's only 6-foot-2 but hasn't shown the court sense to play point guard. While his great athleticism somewhat mitigates the size problem at the 2 -- he jumped into the top 15 of shooting guards in both blocks and steals per minute -- his only realistic hope of being a long-term starter is at the point. At the very least he needs a 'job swap' arrangement, in which somebody like Kidd can play point on offense and check 2s on defense while Beaubois does the opposite. He should start, but a broken foot suffered in the offseason could cloud the picture. Beaubois is unlikely to be ready by opening day, so he'll have to charge his way into an established rotation once he returns."

http://[h3]The Bobcats under Silas[/h3]
11:31AM ET

[h5]Paul Silas | Bobcats [/h5]

With Larry Brown at the helm, the Bobcats played at a less-than-league-average tempo -- ranking 19th in the league in pace.

But new coach Paul Silas is looking to change that. According to the Associated Press, Slias is trying to push the pace, and has even changed the shot clocks from 24 to 14 seconds at practice.

In Monday night's game against the Pistons, the Bobcats did toss up 105 points in a win, but according to Basketball-Reference, played at a 94.3 pace, which is only about one possession more than they've been averaging this season.

The team did have 23 turnovers, a high amount which hurt their total number of possessions.

If they cut those down, Monday's game -- granted, a small sample size -- seems to indicate the Bobcats will indeed be a faster-paced team under Silas.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Bynum's role going forward[/h3]
10:58AM ET

[h5]Andrew Bynum | Lakers [/h5]

UPDATE: Jackson indicated Friday that Bynum could be in line for more minutes in a week or two.

"I think our big lineup could [be an advantage]," Jackson said, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles. "Of course, I don't think Andrew is ready to start yet or play those kind of minutes, but hopefully he will be in another week or two."

Bynum also indicated to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse in an article published Tuesday that he feels he's a month away from starting.

"I think I'm probably still about a month away (from starting),'' Bynum said, according to Tomasson. "I don't care if I start or not as long as I get the opportunity to help the team. That's all I really care about. ... It's tough to put an exact date on (being 100 percent), but give or take a month or so.''

---

Andrew Bynum is back playing for the Lakers after his recovery from knee surgery kept him out of the team's first 24 games this season.

But according to the Los Angeles Times, coach Phil Jackson has indicated he's not close to re-gaining his starting spot after playing four games so far.

"I just can't tell you until he's got that bounce in his step that says he can now play 30, 35 minutes," Jackson said, according to the paper. "Right now we're content with how we're doing it."

Bynum is also dealing with some pain in his right knee now, but he told the paper "they tell me it's just something I'm going to have to deal with."

Add it all up, and it appears Bynum could continue in a limited bench role for a while -- he's averaging 16-plus minutes so far -- meaning Lamar Odom will continue to get solid burn as a frontcourt starter.

If Bynum can prove to play more minutes once the playoffs hit, his ability to protect the basket on D will be a plus in the starting lineup. Odom, who's played very well this season, could come off the bench in a sixth-man role and be a tough matchup for an opponent's second unit.

-- Ryan Corazza

thorpe_david_30.jpg
[h5]David Thorpe of Scouts Inc.[/h5]
Bynum needs to get in game work
"They can't just save him (for the playoffs), he needs to play some. It's a pickle."

http://[h3]Evans considering foot procedure[/h3]
10:47AM ET

[h5]Tyreke Evans | Kings [/h5]

UPDATE: Sam Amik of FanHouse is reporting via a source that Evans has already decided to do the treatment soon, but that "the sudden rediscovery of his game and swagger might mean he delays the procedure until after the All-Star break or perhaps the offseason."

So it may be a case of how well Evans plays from here on out. If can build off his 32-point performance from Monday night and continue to score better, he may gut it out all season.

If he follow suit with more struggles like he has for much of the season, he may pack it in and get the procedure during the season -- one that could end his 2010-11 campaign.

-- Ryan Corazza

---

Tyreke Evans has been hampered all season with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. He spoke with his agent, Bob Meyers, on Monday and the shooting guard said the two spoke about the possibility of him having treatment to help with the problem.

"If I keep playing that way, I still might get it," Evans told The Sacramento Bee. "I'm just going to see what happens."

Evans would be out three to four months, if he had the procedure. He said he may have it around the All-Star break in February.

"It's tough, especially in the morning," Evans said "A lot of people have had it in the NBA. I just have to try to be a warrior and try to play through it."

Evans scored 32 points against the Clippers on Monday.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Bulls still after SG[/h3]
10:27AM ET

[h5]Chicago Bulls [/h5]

[h5]Shooting guards for Chicago[/h5]
  • J.R. Smith. He's reportedly available and they've inquired.
  • O.J. Mayo. There have been rumblings he could get traded since he's moved back to a sixth-man role.
  • Daniel Gibson and Anthony Parker. The Cavs could do a lot of dealing at the deadline, and one of these two could potentially be had.
  • J.J. Redick. With some new pieces in place via trade, Redick may now be expendable for the team provided they get a quality big in return.
  • Courtney Lee. He's seeing 19 minutes a game for the Rockets this season.

UPDATE: Another name to add to the list for the Bulls is Houston's Courtney Lee.

"The Bulls have scouted Rockets guard Courtney Lee, who is well-regarded for his defense and toughness," wrote K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. "But even if talks became serious, he's a 37.9 percent career 3-point shooter and might represent only a minor upgrade."

---

It's been reported for a while now that the Bulls are looking for an upgrade a shooting guard. And Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated tweeted Saturday that team executives are saying the Bulls, along with the Magic (who are looking for size), are the two most active teams now.

J.R. Smith is one such shooting guard the team has reportedly inquired about, and we've noted a few other possiblities in the box to the right.

One other name that could surface for the team is J.J. Redick, reasons of which we dipped into Thursday. The Bulls tenured an offer sheet to the former Duke standout this summer, but as a restricted free agent, the Magic matched the offer and he returned to the team.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Cavs to sign Gee[/h3]
9:59AM ET

[h5]Cleveland Cavaliers [/h5]

UPDATE: Looks like the Cavaliers will sign Gee.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein just tweeted the following: "After working out handful of free agents as per Sam Amik of FanHouse, Cavs making plans to sign Alonzo Gee as long ex-Spur/Wizard passes physical."

Gee will only be offered a non-guaranteed contract and he may be waived prior to Jan. 10 when all contracts become guaranteed for the season.

----

The Cavaliers opened up a spot on the roster Monday when they waived Jawad Williams. The team is only 8-22 and head coach Byron Scott was asked if the Cavaliers should be overhauled.

"(It) could be," Scott told The News-Herald. "You'd have to talk to (Chris Grant and Cavs assistant GM David Griffin). I'm sure those guys have been busy making calls and taking calls. We'll see what happens. I'll coach the guys who are here."

According to the Akron Beacon-Journal, the Cavaliers are talking with other teams, but no deal is imminent. They hold a $14.5 million trade exception and that allows Cleveland to be part of a potential multi-team trade. They can take back players, draft picks, or cash and not have to send out anything of significance.

FanHouse reports the Cavaliers will soon hold a mass workout for a bunch of D-League players and two other free agents who were just waived.

Those players are Kyle Weaver, Othyus Jeffers, Patrick Ewing Jr. and Marcus Landry along with Antoine Wright and Alonzo Gee.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Would Murphy interest the Magic?[/h3]
9:44AM ET

[h5]Troy Murphy | Nets [/h5]

Troy Murphy will most likely be traded by the February trade deadline due to his $11.96 million expiring contract. He's been mentioned the most as part of a package for Denver's Carmelo Anthony. Murphy could also end up in Florida, even if he is traded.

Orlando could use a shooting big man and the Magic might go after him, if he agrees to a buyout with the Nets or any team that acquires him.

Chris Mannix of SI.com tweeted on Monday: "Don't be surprised if Orlando goes after Troy Murphy if Murphy is bought out after the deadline. Big, stretch four would fit the system."

All players on rosters need to be waived by March 1 to be eligible for the playoffs.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Nowitzki set to have MRI[/h3]
9:28AM ET

[h5]Dirk Nowitzki | Mavericks [/h5]

Dirk Nowitzki was forced to leave Monday's game in Oklahoma City due to soreness in his right knee. X-rays taken at the arena were negative. He will have an MRI on Tuesday to determine what's wrong with the knee.

Nowitzki admitted after the game that the knee has been bothering him for about two weeks.

"So maybe that's why it gave in a little bit," Nowitzki told ESPNDallas.com. "Hopefully it's just a strain, and hopefully I'll be back in action soon."

"I'll take an ankle sprain over this any day just because this is a weird injury," Nowitzki added. "I never had it, so from a rolled ankle I probably would have walked it off and came right back out there. We'll look at it and see what it is tomorrow and [take it] kind of day-to-day from this point."

Head coach Rick Carlisle could insert Shawn Marion as the starting power forward if Nowitzki is forced to sit out any games.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Blazers unlikely to use injury exception[/h3]
9:14AM ET

[h5]Portland Trail Blazers [/h5]

The Blazers were granted a $3.38 million injury exception by the league for Greg Oden in November and it can be used to acquire a player by either a trade or free agency. It expires on Thursday and Portland general manager Rich Cho said Monday that it will probably go unused.

"We've explored a number of opportunities," Cho told The Oregonian. "But at this point it doesn't seem likely we'll use the exception before the deadline expires."

Portland has a full 15-man roster and would have get rid of a player if the exception was used to sign a free agent.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Lakers send Ebanks to the Jam[/h3]
8:38AM ET

[h5]Devin Ebanks | Lakers [/h5]

The Lakers assigned rookie Devin Ebanks to the D-League's Bakersfield Jam on Monday.

Ebanks, the No. 43 pick in the 2010 draft, is only averaging 2.9 points and 1.5 rebounds. He has played a total of 77 minutes so far in his rookie season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Lin assigned to Reno[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]Jeremy Lin | Warriors [/h5]

UPDATE: The Warriors assigned Lin to the D-League's Reno Bighorns on Monday. He should be with them for about two weeks.

"Obviously, I'd love to stay with the team, but I'm going to be able to get a lot of playing time," Lin told the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's not the end of the world, and I can learn and grow a lot as a player."

Lin is averaging 1.9 points, 0.9 assists and 1.1 steals in 8.5 minutes so far in his rookie season.

-- Nick Borges

----

Rookie point guard Jeremy Lin earned a contract with Golden State on the back of a strong Summer League performance.

Lin has played in 16 of the team's 25 games this season, and is seeing 8.4 minutes a contest. But with the recent signing of backup PG Acie Law, it looks like Lin may soon head to the D-League.

According to Matt Steinmetz of Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, GM Larry Riley had this to say about Lin heading to to the D-League: "It's possible. I'd say that's something that's on the table."

The first year of Lin's two-year contract with the Warriors is guaranteed, so if sent to the D-League for some seasoning, he would likely come back up at some point and stick with the team for the remainder of the 2010-11 season.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Tolliver making progress[/h3]
6:40AM ET

[h5]Anthony Tolliver | Timberwolves [/h5]

Wolves power forward Anthony Tolliver has been out since Dec. 3 when he sprained his right medial collateral ligament. He ran for the first time on Monday and is making progress in his recovery from the injury.

"I hope to get in some non-contact work in practice this week, then maybe go full contact by the end of the week," Tolliver told the Pioneer Press. "I've still got a little tenderness in the knee. That's why I know I'm not ready yet."

Tolliver was given an initial timeline of six to eight weeks before he can return to the active roster and he seems to be on schedule.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Yao trade bait for Rockets[/h3]
6:00AM ET

[h5]Yao Ming | Rockets [/h5]

The Houston Rockets are exploring all trade possibilities and that includes deals for Yao Ming.

According to the Houston Chronicle, the Rockets are willing to make trades that will help other teams financially. Yao's contract falls under that category since a major portion of it is being covered by insurance.

The Rockets have spoken to the Sacramento Kings and Charlotte Bobcats about potential deals. The Kings are refusing to trade rookie DeMarcus Cousins, despite his issues with head coach Paul Westphal.

The newspaper also reports Yao was told by the Rockets that his expiring contract could be used in a trade.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Williams' role on the Rockets[/h3]
5:44AM ET

[h5]Terrence Williams | Rockets [/h5]

The Rockets acquired Terrence Williams from the Nets on Dec. 15, but he has not played in any games. Head coach Rick Adelman is hoping to clarify Williams' role with the team in the next 7 to 10 days.

"This week we'll be able to see him practice, get an idea of where his strengths are," Adelman told the Houston Chronicle. "It's hard to get him into the rotation right now. We'll have to wait and see."

Adelman is also trying to work Aaron Brooks back into the rotation, which isn't leaving any time for Williams.
"We're trying to be consistent with what we're doing right now," Adelman said. "We're trying to get Aaron back into it at the same time. ... That's a change, too. We're going to go with what we're doing and go from there."
-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Crawford may join Sy[/h3]
4:48AM ET

[h5]Jordan Crawford | Hawks [/h5]

The Atlanta Hawks assigned Pape Sy to the D-League's Utah Flash on Monday and they are contemplating do the same with Jordan Crawford.

"There has been some talk about it," Hawks head coach Larry Drew told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "We are certainly going to keep our options open with our young guys [and] putting them in situations where they can get some playing time instead of practicing every day and just being with the team. I would rather them be somewhere playing, where they are learning, where they can get some experience."

Crawford, who was the No. 27 pick in the 2010 draft, has only played in 10 of the Hawks' 33 games so far in his rookie season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Sy heading to Utah[/h3]
4:39AM ET

[h5]Pape Sy | Hawks [/h5]

UPDATE No. 2: The Hawks announced Monday that they have assigned Sy to the D-League's Utah Flash.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE: According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Hawks will send Pape Sy to the D-League for some game action.

The newspaper did not report when he'll be assigned to the Utah Flash or how long Sy will be with them.

Utah's next game is on Jan. 1 against Bakersfield and the Flash will play seven games during the first 14 days of 2011.

-- Nick Borges

----

Rookie Pape Sy is not getting any time with the Hawks so the team is considering sending him to the D-League for some game action at the beginning of the new year.

"I think it would suit him better to play than to sit around and practice all the time," head coach Larry Drew told the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "He needs some playing experience."

Atlanta's D-League affiliate, the Utah Flash, don't play again until Jan. 1 and the Hawks will make a final decision regarding Sy around that time.

Happy Birthday JA
pimp.gif

Choosing an All-Star team is never easy, but in the Western Conference this season it may be particularly difficult.

While the East and West aren't that far apart in the standings, they're still miles apart in depth of star power. Once again we find ourselves scraping the barrel to come up with 12 players in the East worthy of an All-Star selection, while in the West we must winnow down a much larger field.

Additionally, the West offers one particular wrinkle this season that may be unusual for the coaches doing the selecting -- the huge volume of players from bad-to-middling teams who are having All-Star caliber seasons.

This season's process may fly in the face of standard operating procedure, which is to fill the ballot with players from teams with winning records and deign to select players from sub-.500 teams only if they have an overwhelming case for inclusion. And by "overwhelming," I'm talking KG-in-Minnesota levels.

Indeed, the Western coaches could very well fill out the roster simply by taking players from teams with the top seven records, and they'd end up with 12 defensible choices at the end of it: Kobe Bryant, Pau Gasol, Chris Paul, Carmelo Anthony, Deron Williams, Russell Westbrook, Kevin Durant, Dirk Nowitzki, Tim Duncan, Manu Ginobili, Tony Parker and either Paul Millsap or David West. Given the historical trend in this department, there's a fairly strong chance this will happen.

On the other hand, a list of the top 16 Western players in estimated wins added (EWA) includes only nine of those players, giving us seven interlopers from the West's lower classes with reasonably strong All-Star cases. Let's take a look at the résumés and see who might buck the recent trend:

Kevin Love, Minnesota (PER 23.67)
Love's team is a dismal 8-24, which normally would make him persona non grata for the coaches when making their All-Star picks. In this case, however, his résumé may be so overwhelming that he still gets in. Love leads the league in rebounding with a phenomenal 15.3 per game, even though his coach was limiting his minutes early in the season. He's also averaging 20.6 points per game with high efficiency, including a 44.1 percent mark on 3s, and is money from the line (87.6 percent). As a gold-medal winner for Team USA with a propensity for racking up headline-grabbing rebound totals, his statistical prowess might get him a closer look from the coaches.

Can all this overcome the name of the team on the front of his jersey? Based on history, I have my doubts, especially given how packed the Western Conference power forward position is -- it will be easy for coaches to find alternatives if they go searching. Nonetheless, Love's play thus far makes his candidacy hard to ignore, and in a fair world he'd get in.

Steve Nash, Phoenix (PER 23.63)
There may not be much room left at the inn for Western Conference guards, as Bryant, Paul, Westbrook, Williams and Ginobili are near-certain picks, leaving a maximum of one roster spot left over. The likes of Nash and Kevin Martin will vie with Parker for that spot.

Which, ironically, could leave Nash on the outs despite his threatening to set a career-high mark in PER. Nash's per-40-minute totals (21.0 points, 13.1 assists) remain phenomenal, and despite some unusually wayward 3-point shooting, his 61.5 true shooting percentage is stellar for a third straight season.

Unfortunately, the dismantling of the Suns' formidable supporting cast may work against him in the All-Star voting. Because of Phoenix's sub-.500 record, coaches will be more willing to ignore him in favor of Parker; and playing in a Western Conference where three point guards are MVP candidates does Nash few favors, even as a two-time MVP himself.

Nonetheless, I'd argue he's more worthy than Parker as the sixth Western guard, and if any injuries crop up, he'd be an easy replacement choice.

Kevin Martin, Houston (PER 22.58)
Here's an amazing stat for you: Martin leads the league in both 3-pointers made and free throws made. He'll be the first player in history to accomplish that double if he keeps it up the rest of the season.

Even more amazing, perhaps, is that he's doing this while playing only 31.8 minutes per game. As a result, Martin's scoring average (23.4) looks good rather than amazing, but on a per-minute basis, only Kobe Bryant scores more frequently.

Will those statistical markers be good enough to get him selected from a .500 team? (Houston players make this list because the team started 3-10 and didn't reach .500 until its comeback win over the Wizards on Monday.) I have my doubts.

First, Martin doesn't fit a lot of people's stereotype of what a go-to player "ought" to look like -- he rarely has the ball in his hands except when he's depositing it in the basket. This, unfortunately, tends to hurt his standing with old-school types. Second, there are some legitimate criticisms of his defense. Third, his teams haven't had a lot of success. And finally, the relatively low minutes and per-game totals are going to hurt him.

Blake Griffin, LA Clippers (PER 22.40)
Coaches get one pick for backup center, and I'd love to see them stretch the definition and include Griffin as that player. His YouTube dunk collection speaks for itself, but he's done a lot of the nuts and bolts of making an All-Star team too, by averaging 21.2 points, 12.5 boards and shooting 51.9 percent.

Like the other players here, Griffin has a major negative on the front of his jersey. The Paper Clips are just 10-22 in a conference that could have 11 teams finish at .500 or better. Will the coaches really plumb the depths of the standings this far down?

He faces another challenge known as "Kevin Love." One might imagine the coaches reaching for one exceptional player at the bottom of the standings -- but two? Given recent history, that seems highly unlikely. Yet on pure merit, Griffin probably belongs.

Luis Scola, Rockets (PER 19.85)
Despite an impressive start to his season and a résumé that would almost certainly get him selected in the East, Scola has virtually no chance of making the Western squad. I don't list him here to belittle his credentials, but rather to illustrate the incredible depth of the Western Conference power forward position this year. Scola, Love, Griffin, Millsap, West and Nowitzki appear to be competing for a maximum of four spots and perhaps as few as two. And that list leaves off other luminaries having strong years, including LaMarcus Aldridge, Zach Randolph and Lamar Odom.

(Side note: After hearing Mark Jackson and Jeff Van Gundy talk about Lamar Odom's All-Star candidacy on the Christmas Day broadcast, one might think he holds a more prominent place in the West pecking order. In reality, he's fairly far down the list, especially if the Lakers stay in only third place in the West.)

Eric Gordon, LA Clippers (21.19) and Monta Ellis, Warriors (20.40)
Gordon has no chance whatsoever because of Griffin's candidacy -- it's almost inconceivable that coaches will write two names from the 10-22 Clippers on their ballots when submitting just one name from such a squad is a rare feat in itself. Nonetheless, I wanted to note his impressive start to the season, one that has him tied for 11th in the West in EWA.

The man he's tied with, Ellis, is in a similar conundrum. Like Gordon, he is playing a ton of minutes for a lousy team (Golden State stands at 12-18), and the depth of the guard position out West and his team's aversion to defense both conspire against him. So does his plus/minus; while better than last season's league-worst differential, it still doesn't make much of a case that he's a difference-making player. The Warriors have been only 0.8 points per 100 possessions better when he's on the court compared to when he's on the bench.

As with the players above, Ellis' strengths -- a stellar 25.4 points per 40 minutes and improved shooting percentages -- would probably be enough to help him make the cut in the East. In this conference, however, he faces long odds to selection, as do most of the other names on this list from the lower regions of the Western Conference standings.

http://[h3]
[h3]Sidney's NBA prospects[/h3]
1:09PM ET

[h5]Renadro Sidney [/h5]

[img]http://assets.espn.go.com/photo/2007/0720/nba_logo_65.jpg[/img]
Mississippi State's Renardo Sidney has the talent to be an NBA player, but his unbecoming conduct -- his most recent incident, a Thursday fight in the stands with a teammate at the Diamond Head Classic in Hawaii has him suspended indefinitely -- is potentially derailing his chances of ever getting drafted.

As ESPN's Chad Ford details, if Sidney is let back on the team, he'll need to not only play well, but prove he has grown up a bit in order to be in better standing with NBA scouts and teams:

ford_chad_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's Chad Ford[/h5]
Scouts 'deeply concerned' with Sidney's maturity
"Sidney can play basketball. That has never been the question. He's as skilled of a big man as you'll see. He can score from anywhere, can handle and see the floor like a guard, has deep range on his jumper and can dominate a game on the offensive end of the floor. But off the court? The kid is a mess ... Whether Sidney is kicked off the team, or merely has to sit out a few more games, doesn't matter much from a NBA standpoint. Before the incident, a number of scouts told me that they were deeply concerned with Sidney's maturity and that the Mississippi State coaching staff had been struggling to coach him. Whether he started the fight or not doesn't change the equation that it was a stupid thing to do. A mature Sidney would've walked away. The NBA always has tolerance for troubled-but-talented teens. But Sidney has developed a rep that will be hard to shake. If he's allowed back on the team, he'll not only have to play well, he'll have to show he's finally learning from the incident and is starting to grow up. If the draft were held today, Sidney would likely go undrafted. But the fact that he's just 21 years old and has lived most of his life in a consequence-free bubble means that there's still time to change. We'll all be watching closely to see if it happens. It will be a massive waste of talent if it doesn't."
[/h3]

http://[h3]Westbrook's elbow[/h3]
12:48PM ET

[h5]Russell Westbrook | Thunder [/h5]

Russell Westbrook suffered a right elbow injury on Monday night against the Mavericks after hitting the floor hard -- causing him to leave the game.

But from all indications, he should be OK.

John Rohde of The Oklahoman reported that coach Scott Brooks indicated after the game that Westbrook was "fine" and that he's expected to practice Tuesday.

Adrian Wojnarowski of Yahoo! Sports added this via Twitter: "Westbrook, who left loss to Mavs clutching his elbow, is fine, source close to him says. 'Just hit his funny bone.'"

If for whatever reason Westbrook does end up missing any time because of the injury, expect Eric Maynor to start in his place at point guard.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Beaubois still not near a return[/h3]
11:58AM ET

[h5]Rodrigue Beaubois | Mavericks [/h5]

UPDATE: Despite his increased workload we detailed below on Dec. 20, coach Rick Carlisle indicated Monday on 1310 AM The Ticket that Beaubois' return is far from imminent.

"I'm not going to talk about Roddy's situation until it becomes something imminent," he said, according to the Dallas Morning News. "We're a ways away from that. To get into that stuff and speculate this or that and how it's going to disrupt chemistry is a negative conversation. We have to make sure we can get him healthy. His activity level has been stepped up. Those are all positive things. That's going to be one of those good problems I'm looking forward to having."

---

Since undergoing surgery in early August on his left foot, Rodrigue Beaubois has been slow to heal.

But according to Eddie Sefko of the Dallas Morning News, Beaubois will start walking on an underwater treadmill this week. If the returns are positive, Beaubois told Sefko he might be allowed do some light work on the court.

There's still no concrete timetable on Beaubois' return, but if he's able to get back and do some light court work somewhat soon, it's possible his season debut will start to come into clearer focus in the coming weeks.

There were indications this summer Beaubois could start at shooting guard for the team after a strong rookie season, but it's unlikely he'll win that spot upon his initial return.

With DeShawn Stevenson exceeding expectations in a starting role and Jason Terry doing his thing as the team's sixth man, Beaubois will have some competition at the position -- though he could compete for playing time with J.J. Barea as Jason Kidd's backup at point guard as well.

-- Ryan Corazza

hollinger_john_30.jpg
[h5]ESPN's John Hollinger[/h5]
Beaubois could play either guard spot
"Beaubois was so good as a rookie that the Mavs have no choice but to play him, even though they don't have a rotation spot open for him. He came in second on the Mavs on points per minutes last season at 22.7, while achieving the second-best TS% among shooting guards. He also led all rookies in PER, albeit in just 700 minutes. This is based on a small minutes sample so he's unlikely to shoot quite that well over a full season, but he doesn't have to. If he just takes better care of the ball, he can be a devastating scoring option at either guard spot. Although his projection for this season is equally optimistic, it's based on the same small minutes sample so it should be taken with a grain of salt. Beaubois ranked 61st out of 66 shooting guards in turnover ratio, but even here there is good news. Rookies with high turnover rates tend to progress much more in subsequent seasons than their counterparts with low rates, so his mistakes can be considered part of the learning curve. Of greater concern is his ultimate position. He's only 6-foot-2 but hasn't shown the court sense to play point guard. While his great athleticism somewhat mitigates the size problem at the 2 -- he jumped into the top 15 of shooting guards in both blocks and steals per minute -- his only realistic hope of being a long-term starter is at the point. At the very least he needs a 'job swap' arrangement, in which somebody like Kidd can play point on offense and check 2s on defense while Beaubois does the opposite. He should start, but a broken foot suffered in the offseason could cloud the picture. Beaubois is unlikely to be ready by opening day, so he'll have to charge his way into an established rotation once he returns."

http://[h3]The Bobcats under Silas[/h3]
11:31AM ET

[h5]Paul Silas | Bobcats [/h5]

With Larry Brown at the helm, the Bobcats played at a less-than-league-average tempo -- ranking 19th in the league in pace.

But new coach Paul Silas is looking to change that. According to the Associated Press, Slias is trying to push the pace, and has even changed the shot clocks from 24 to 14 seconds at practice.

In Monday night's game against the Pistons, the Bobcats did toss up 105 points in a win, but according to Basketball-Reference, played at a 94.3 pace, which is only about one possession more than they've been averaging this season.

The team did have 23 turnovers, a high amount which hurt their total number of possessions.

If they cut those down, Monday's game -- granted, a small sample size -- seems to indicate the Bobcats will indeed be a faster-paced team under Silas.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Bynum's role going forward[/h3]
10:58AM ET

[h5]Andrew Bynum | Lakers [/h5]

UPDATE: Jackson indicated Friday that Bynum could be in line for more minutes in a week or two.

"I think our big lineup could [be an advantage]," Jackson said, according to Dave McMenamin of ESPN Los Angeles. "Of course, I don't think Andrew is ready to start yet or play those kind of minutes, but hopefully he will be in another week or two."

Bynum also indicated to Chris Tomasson of FanHouse in an article published Tuesday that he feels he's a month away from starting.

"I think I'm probably still about a month away (from starting),'' Bynum said, according to Tomasson. "I don't care if I start or not as long as I get the opportunity to help the team. That's all I really care about. ... It's tough to put an exact date on (being 100 percent), but give or take a month or so.''

---

Andrew Bynum is back playing for the Lakers after his recovery from knee surgery kept him out of the team's first 24 games this season.

But according to the Los Angeles Times, coach Phil Jackson has indicated he's not close to re-gaining his starting spot after playing four games so far.

"I just can't tell you until he's got that bounce in his step that says he can now play 30, 35 minutes," Jackson said, according to the paper. "Right now we're content with how we're doing it."

Bynum is also dealing with some pain in his right knee now, but he told the paper "they tell me it's just something I'm going to have to deal with."

Add it all up, and it appears Bynum could continue in a limited bench role for a while -- he's averaging 16-plus minutes so far -- meaning Lamar Odom will continue to get solid burn as a frontcourt starter.

If Bynum can prove to play more minutes once the playoffs hit, his ability to protect the basket on D will be a plus in the starting lineup. Odom, who's played very well this season, could come off the bench in a sixth-man role and be a tough matchup for an opponent's second unit.

-- Ryan Corazza

thorpe_david_30.jpg
[h5]David Thorpe of Scouts Inc.[/h5]
Bynum needs to get in game work
"They can't just save him (for the playoffs), he needs to play some. It's a pickle."

http://[h3]Evans considering foot procedure[/h3]
10:47AM ET

[h5]Tyreke Evans | Kings [/h5]

UPDATE: Sam Amik of FanHouse is reporting via a source that Evans has already decided to do the treatment soon, but that "the sudden rediscovery of his game and swagger might mean he delays the procedure until after the All-Star break or perhaps the offseason."

So it may be a case of how well Evans plays from here on out. If can build off his 32-point performance from Monday night and continue to score better, he may gut it out all season.

If he follow suit with more struggles like he has for much of the season, he may pack it in and get the procedure during the season -- one that could end his 2010-11 campaign.

-- Ryan Corazza

---

Tyreke Evans has been hampered all season with plantar fasciitis in his left foot. He spoke with his agent, Bob Meyers, on Monday and the shooting guard said the two spoke about the possibility of him having treatment to help with the problem.

"If I keep playing that way, I still might get it," Evans told The Sacramento Bee. "I'm just going to see what happens."

Evans would be out three to four months, if he had the procedure. He said he may have it around the All-Star break in February.

"It's tough, especially in the morning," Evans said "A lot of people have had it in the NBA. I just have to try to be a warrior and try to play through it."

Evans scored 32 points against the Clippers on Monday.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Bulls still after SG[/h3]
10:27AM ET

[h5]Chicago Bulls [/h5]

[h5]Shooting guards for Chicago[/h5]
  • J.R. Smith. He's reportedly available and they've inquired.
  • O.J. Mayo. There have been rumblings he could get traded since he's moved back to a sixth-man role.
  • Daniel Gibson and Anthony Parker. The Cavs could do a lot of dealing at the deadline, and one of these two could potentially be had.
  • J.J. Redick. With some new pieces in place via trade, Redick may now be expendable for the team provided they get a quality big in return.
  • Courtney Lee. He's seeing 19 minutes a game for the Rockets this season.

UPDATE: Another name to add to the list for the Bulls is Houston's Courtney Lee.

"The Bulls have scouted Rockets guard Courtney Lee, who is well-regarded for his defense and toughness," wrote K.C. Johnson of the Chicago Tribune. "But even if talks became serious, he's a 37.9 percent career 3-point shooter and might represent only a minor upgrade."

---

It's been reported for a while now that the Bulls are looking for an upgrade a shooting guard. And Chris Mannix of Sports Illustrated tweeted Saturday that team executives are saying the Bulls, along with the Magic (who are looking for size), are the two most active teams now.

J.R. Smith is one such shooting guard the team has reportedly inquired about, and we've noted a few other possiblities in the box to the right.

One other name that could surface for the team is J.J. Redick, reasons of which we dipped into Thursday. The Bulls tenured an offer sheet to the former Duke standout this summer, but as a restricted free agent, the Magic matched the offer and he returned to the team.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Cavs to sign Gee[/h3]
9:59AM ET

[h5]Cleveland Cavaliers [/h5]

UPDATE: Looks like the Cavaliers will sign Gee.

ESPN.com's Marc Stein just tweeted the following: "After working out handful of free agents as per Sam Amik of FanHouse, Cavs making plans to sign Alonzo Gee as long ex-Spur/Wizard passes physical."

Gee will only be offered a non-guaranteed contract and he may be waived prior to Jan. 10 when all contracts become guaranteed for the season.

----

The Cavaliers opened up a spot on the roster Monday when they waived Jawad Williams. The team is only 8-22 and head coach Byron Scott was asked if the Cavaliers should be overhauled.

"(It) could be," Scott told The News-Herald. "You'd have to talk to (Chris Grant and Cavs assistant GM David Griffin). I'm sure those guys have been busy making calls and taking calls. We'll see what happens. I'll coach the guys who are here."

According to the Akron Beacon-Journal, the Cavaliers are talking with other teams, but no deal is imminent. They hold a $14.5 million trade exception and that allows Cleveland to be part of a potential multi-team trade. They can take back players, draft picks, or cash and not have to send out anything of significance.

FanHouse reports the Cavaliers will soon hold a mass workout for a bunch of D-League players and two other free agents who were just waived.

Those players are Kyle Weaver, Othyus Jeffers, Patrick Ewing Jr. and Marcus Landry along with Antoine Wright and Alonzo Gee.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Would Murphy interest the Magic?[/h3]
9:44AM ET

[h5]Troy Murphy | Nets [/h5]

Troy Murphy will most likely be traded by the February trade deadline due to his $11.96 million expiring contract. He's been mentioned the most as part of a package for Denver's Carmelo Anthony. Murphy could also end up in Florida, even if he is traded.

Orlando could use a shooting big man and the Magic might go after him, if he agrees to a buyout with the Nets or any team that acquires him.

Chris Mannix of SI.com tweeted on Monday: "Don't be surprised if Orlando goes after Troy Murphy if Murphy is bought out after the deadline. Big, stretch four would fit the system."

All players on rosters need to be waived by March 1 to be eligible for the playoffs.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Nowitzki set to have MRI[/h3]
9:28AM ET

[h5]Dirk Nowitzki | Mavericks [/h5]

Dirk Nowitzki was forced to leave Monday's game in Oklahoma City due to soreness in his right knee. X-rays taken at the arena were negative. He will have an MRI on Tuesday to determine what's wrong with the knee.

Nowitzki admitted after the game that the knee has been bothering him for about two weeks.

"So maybe that's why it gave in a little bit," Nowitzki told ESPNDallas.com. "Hopefully it's just a strain, and hopefully I'll be back in action soon."

"I'll take an ankle sprain over this any day just because this is a weird injury," Nowitzki added. "I never had it, so from a rolled ankle I probably would have walked it off and came right back out there. We'll look at it and see what it is tomorrow and [take it] kind of day-to-day from this point."

Head coach Rick Carlisle could insert Shawn Marion as the starting power forward if Nowitzki is forced to sit out any games.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Blazers unlikely to use injury exception[/h3]
9:14AM ET

[h5]Portland Trail Blazers [/h5]

The Blazers were granted a $3.38 million injury exception by the league for Greg Oden in November and it can be used to acquire a player by either a trade or free agency. It expires on Thursday and Portland general manager Rich Cho said Monday that it will probably go unused.

"We've explored a number of opportunities," Cho told The Oregonian. "But at this point it doesn't seem likely we'll use the exception before the deadline expires."

Portland has a full 15-man roster and would have get rid of a player if the exception was used to sign a free agent.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Lakers send Ebanks to the Jam[/h3]
8:38AM ET

[h5]Devin Ebanks | Lakers [/h5]

The Lakers assigned rookie Devin Ebanks to the D-League's Bakersfield Jam on Monday.

Ebanks, the No. 43 pick in the 2010 draft, is only averaging 2.9 points and 1.5 rebounds. He has played a total of 77 minutes so far in his rookie season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Lin assigned to Reno[/h3]
8:28AM ET

[h5]Jeremy Lin | Warriors [/h5]

UPDATE: The Warriors assigned Lin to the D-League's Reno Bighorns on Monday. He should be with them for about two weeks.

"Obviously, I'd love to stay with the team, but I'm going to be able to get a lot of playing time," Lin told the San Francisco Chronicle. "It's not the end of the world, and I can learn and grow a lot as a player."

Lin is averaging 1.9 points, 0.9 assists and 1.1 steals in 8.5 minutes so far in his rookie season.

-- Nick Borges

----

Rookie point guard Jeremy Lin earned a contract with Golden State on the back of a strong Summer League performance.

Lin has played in 16 of the team's 25 games this season, and is seeing 8.4 minutes a contest. But with the recent signing of backup PG Acie Law, it looks like Lin may soon head to the D-League.

According to Matt Steinmetz of Comcast SportsNet Bay Area, GM Larry Riley had this to say about Lin heading to to the D-League: "It's possible. I'd say that's something that's on the table."

The first year of Lin's two-year contract with the Warriors is guaranteed, so if sent to the D-League for some seasoning, he would likely come back up at some point and stick with the team for the remainder of the 2010-11 season.

-- Ryan Corazza

http://[h3]Tolliver making progress[/h3]
6:40AM ET

[h5]Anthony Tolliver | Timberwolves [/h5]

Wolves power forward Anthony Tolliver has been out since Dec. 3 when he sprained his right medial collateral ligament. He ran for the first time on Monday and is making progress in his recovery from the injury.

"I hope to get in some non-contact work in practice this week, then maybe go full contact by the end of the week," Tolliver told the Pioneer Press. "I've still got a little tenderness in the knee. That's why I know I'm not ready yet."

Tolliver was given an initial timeline of six to eight weeks before he can return to the active roster and he seems to be on schedule.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Yao trade bait for Rockets[/h3]
6:00AM ET

[h5]Yao Ming | Rockets [/h5]

The Houston Rockets are exploring all trade possibilities and that includes deals for Yao Ming.

According to the Houston Chronicle, the Rockets are willing to make trades that will help other teams financially. Yao's contract falls under that category since a major portion of it is being covered by insurance.

The Rockets have spoken to the Sacramento Kings and Charlotte Bobcats about potential deals. The Kings are refusing to trade rookie DeMarcus Cousins, despite his issues with head coach Paul Westphal.

The newspaper also reports Yao was told by the Rockets that his expiring contract could be used in a trade.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Williams' role on the Rockets[/h3]
5:44AM ET

[h5]Terrence Williams | Rockets [/h5]

The Rockets acquired Terrence Williams from the Nets on Dec. 15, but he has not played in any games. Head coach Rick Adelman is hoping to clarify Williams' role with the team in the next 7 to 10 days.

"This week we'll be able to see him practice, get an idea of where his strengths are," Adelman told the Houston Chronicle. "It's hard to get him into the rotation right now. We'll have to wait and see."

Adelman is also trying to work Aaron Brooks back into the rotation, which isn't leaving any time for Williams.
"We're trying to be consistent with what we're doing right now," Adelman said. "We're trying to get Aaron back into it at the same time. ... That's a change, too. We're going to go with what we're doing and go from there."
-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Crawford may join Sy[/h3]
4:48AM ET

[h5]Jordan Crawford | Hawks [/h5]

The Atlanta Hawks assigned Pape Sy to the D-League's Utah Flash on Monday and they are contemplating do the same with Jordan Crawford.

"There has been some talk about it," Hawks head coach Larry Drew told The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "We are certainly going to keep our options open with our young guys [and] putting them in situations where they can get some playing time instead of practicing every day and just being with the team. I would rather them be somewhere playing, where they are learning, where they can get some experience."

Crawford, who was the No. 27 pick in the 2010 draft, has only played in 10 of the Hawks' 33 games so far in his rookie season.

-- Nick Borges

http://[h3]Sy heading to Utah[/h3]
4:39AM ET

[h5]Pape Sy | Hawks [/h5]

UPDATE No. 2: The Hawks announced Monday that they have assigned Sy to the D-League's Utah Flash.

-- Nick Borges

----

UPDATE: According to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution, the Hawks will send Pape Sy to the D-League for some game action.

The newspaper did not report when he'll be assigned to the Utah Flash or how long Sy will be with them.

Utah's next game is on Jan. 1 against Bakersfield and the Flash will play seven games during the first 14 days of 2011.

-- Nick Borges

----

Rookie Pape Sy is not getting any time with the Hawks so the team is considering sending him to the D-League for some game action at the beginning of the new year.

"I think it would suit him better to play than to sit around and practice all the time," head coach Larry Drew told the The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. "He needs some playing experience."

Atlanta's D-League affiliate, the Utah Flash, don't play again until Jan. 1 and the Hawks will make a final decision regarding Sy around that time.

The Hornets have lost to the Clippers, Sixers, Pistons, Pacers and Timberwolves. 
30t6p3b.gif

All but one of them have been road games, but still.

They get to finish off 2010 with the Lakers and Celtics.

The Hornets have lost to the Clippers, Sixers, Pistons, Pacers and Timberwolves. 
30t6p3b.gif

All but one of them have been road games, but still.

They get to finish off 2010 with the Lakers and Celtics.

The Timberwolves are 5-1 when they hold their opponents under 100 points, KLJ.

It's all about defense for this team. If they can pick that up (like they did on the road versus Cleveland and at home against the Hornets), the wins will come next.

The Timberwolves are 5-1 when they hold their opponents under 100 points, KLJ.

It's all about defense for this team. If they can pick that up (like they did on the road versus Cleveland and at home against the Hornets), the wins will come next.

That under 100 point stat works for just about any team though. We 13-4 when we hold opponents under 100.

That under 100 point stat works for just about any team though. We 13-4 when we hold opponents under 100.

HBD JA!
smokin.gif

Damn, how many Dec birthdays are there on here. Spring love
laugh.gif

Off the top of my head:

Me
CP
NaS
JA

I know there's more.......

Back
Top Bottom