OFFICIAL 2010 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD [79-82] : The losing season

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dod...yroll-figure-only-fuels-mccourt-skeptics.html[/h1]
[h1]Latest Dodgers' payroll figure only fuels McCourt skeptics[/h1]
April 6, 2010 |  1:22pm
Are you all a bunch of chumps? Doe-eyed Dodgers fans, with roots so deep that there is nothing the organization can do that would force you to finally look away?

There’s definitely an element out there certain of it. That regardless of what the McCourts do or don’t do, you’ll queue up at Dodger Stadium, 3.8 million strong, yelling, "Thank you sir, may I have another?’’

Latest evidence for the disenchanted comes via USA Today’s annual salary survey, showing the Dodgers dropping to 11th in the league in team payroll at $95.3 million.

The team in the No.2 market in the country, that leads all of baseball in attendance, down to a sad 11th. Down from $118.6 million two years ago and $100.4 million last season.

As Bill Shaikin reminded readers in The Times, when Frank McCourt became owner of the Dodgers six years ago, he said the team payroll would remain in the top quarter of all of baseball. So much for that.

Even the $95-million figure is somewhat generous, including almost $9 million in deferred payments to Manny Ramirez.

That still ranks it below the Tigers, the Giants and the small-market Twins.

That makes the organizational line that the McCourts’ divorce is not affecting the team payroll a tough sell. Particularly in light of continued court documents detailing an exorbitant lifestyle by the owners.

That ace pitcher the Dodgers have needed for several years continues as an unfulfilled wish.

It’s turning some fans off. One long-time Dodgers fan, former Los Angeles Newspaper Group columnist Paul Oberjuerge, said he’s finally had enough. In a scathing indictment of the McCourts in his blog, he said he can no longer pull for his childhood team.

"I am done … as long as anyone named McCourt retains ownership of the team.

"I cannot pull for the Dodgers to win, to succeed, to draw fans, when such vile people own the organization. People whose greed, selfishness and ego apparently are boundless.

"And we should buy tickets to see their team play?’’

Defenders of the realm will point out that the Dodgers have advanced to the National League Championship Series in consecutive seasons, that the McCourts did put money back into Dodger Stadium.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers’ opening-day starter was Vicente Padilla and their fifth starter is retread Charlie Haeger.

And a shrinking team payroll only emboldens the skeptics.

-- Steve Dilbeck

grin.gif

[h3][/h3]
[h3]Belisario could be back within weeks[/h3]Reliever to throw live batting practice on Tuesday
04/06/10 3:14 PM ET

PITTSBURGH -- The Dodgers might be only two weeks away from getting reliever Ronald Belisario back.

Belisario, who reported to Spring Training five weeks late because of visa issues, was scheduled to throw live batting practice on Tuesday at Camelback Ranch-Glendale for the first time after more than a week of bullpen sessions.

Pitching coach Rick Honeycutt said that Belisario has progressed, with no setbacks, since his first bullpen session nine days ago.

"We'll make sure everything is good today and from there, we hope to give him some days off and then go ahead and give him some games in extended spring," said Honeycutt, who has April 9 penciled in for Belisario's first game.

"Everything's good so far," Honeycutt added. "You'd like to get him seven or eight times in games, but it could be six. We want to build up his arm and see how he responds. And ideally, we'd like to see him go back-to-back days. But a lot depends on needs and where we're at."

The Dodgers learned a lesson last year, when they signed free-agent reliever Will Ohman and, after one week of Spring Training, rushed him to the Majors, only for him to break down and need shoulder surgery.

Originally Posted by P MAC ONE

You don't need a high payroll to win, you need a GM who can allocate his resources well.
While I agree to an extent, there is no excuse for it.

The Dodgers shouldn't be allocating their resources well.

Every GM makes mistakes, you think Theo doesn't make mistakes, he just has the resources to cover up for them.  Same with Cashman.  If the Yankees or Red Sox would've signed Jamey Carroll to a sub $4 million 2 year deal, it wouldn't even have been a headline.  However, since every dollar counts, signing Carroll to that deal looks ridiculous.  We are talking about a $4 million dollar deal here, not the ridiculous deal that the Phillies gave Placido Polanco.

Allocating your resources well is what the Rays do, what the Twins do, what the Marlins do.  It shouldn't be what we do.  There is no excuse for us not having a top 5 payroll.

The Angels have a higher payroll and they are dying to have our market, they have the same +$@@+$ up TV deal we have, they are not on our level when it comes to attendance and sponsorship revenue.

I can't fully judge Ned Colletti.  Look at Theo, regarded as the best GM in baseball (He didn't pull the trigger on the Hanley for Beckett trade, that was Hoyer).  Do you think Theo would be succesful without the Red Sox payroll?

How badly would we be killing Ned if he had signed a shortstop in 2004 to a 4 year $40 million deal (Renteria), then sign another shortstop in 2006 to a 4 year $36 million deal (Lugo), only to sign another shortstop for the 2010 season (Scutaro)?

How about giving a 3 year $37.5 million extension to an aging third baseman with a bad hip (Lowell)?

We would be killing Ned if he would've signed Brad Penny ($5 million) and John Smoltz ($5.5 million) last year.

The difference is that Theo can cover up his tracks by trading away Renteria (eating salary), trading away Lugo (eating salary) and getting Beltre to replace Lowell while Lowell becomes MLB's most expensive bench player.

You don't need a high payroll to win, it *%###!% helps a lot though.

The Yankees do not win the World Series last year without Tex, Sabathia and Burnett.  The Yanks didn't have to allocate for *@%% either.  They threw ridiculous offers their way which they couldn't refuse: giving Tex an extra year and $20 million, giving CC $160 when no one was offering more than $125, giving an injury plagued AJ Burnett five guaranteed years.).

These two guys are regarded in many circles as the cream of the crop when they have more bad deals under their belt than Ned.

What we have is a piece of *@%% Owner.  On the personal level I have nothing against Frank, as a Dodger fan I want him to sell the damn team while we still have a chance.

I was patient, and the results were looking good.

I gave a pass on the Casey Blake/Carlos Santana deal.

Too many things have soured my opinion: not attempting to sign CC when he wanted to be a Dodger, haggling with the Indians over Cliff Lee's remaining salary and ultimately losing him to the Phillies (rumor), not attempting to get a front of the line pitcher which we sorely need while seeing the team we can't beat go out and not only get one but two of them (Lee, then Halladay).  On top of that, all the stuff that has come out since the Divorce went public.

That's the thing though, those teams have more resources than us and they can allocate them in a way where eating a salary is not a big deal.

The Dodgers were never on the Yanks/Red Sox level of payroll and were never expected to be. Juan Pierre, Jason Schmidt, and Andruw Jones (and probably Furcal if he doesn't turn it around) all are good examples of awful allocation of resources.

Just look at all the young cheap talent we have on the team. The only guys that suck are the free agents Ned has brought in, and it's been that way since he became GM.

The Dodgers were never on the Yanks/Red Sox level of payroll and were never expected to be. Juan Pierre, Jason Schmidt, and Andruw Jones (and probably Furcal if he doesn't turn it around) all are good examples of awful allocation of resources.
I beg to differ, and I will only stick to the decade that just passed...

1. New York Yankees - $93 million
  2. Los Angeles Dodgers - $90 million
  1. New York Yankees - $112 million
  2. Boston Red Sox - $109 million
  3. Los Angeles Dodgers - $109 million
  1. New York Yankees- $125 million
  2. Boston Red Sox - $108
  3. Texas Rangers - $105
  4. Arizona D'Backs - $102
  5. Los Angeles Dodgers - $94
  1. New York Yankees- $152 million
  2. New York Mets - $117
  3. Atlanta Braves - $106
  4. Los Angeles Dodgers - $105
  1. New York Yankees -$184 million
  2. Boston Red Sox - $127
  3. Anaheim Angels - $100
  4. New York Mets - $96
  5. Philadelphia Phillies - $93
  6. Los Angeles Dodgers - $92
2005- 11th
2006 - 6th
2007 - 6th
2008 - 7th
2009 - 9th
2010 - 11th

We haven't touched the top 5 in payroll since the McCourts took over in 2004.  Kind of tough to keep a high payroll when you don't raise ticket, parking and concession prices.....oh wait!

Originally Posted by bright nikes

[h1]http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/dod...yroll-figure-only-fuels-mccourt-skeptics.html[/h1]
[h1]Latest Dodgers' payroll figure only fuels McCourt skeptics[/h1]
April 6, 2010 |  1:22pm
Are you all a bunch of chumps? Doe-eyed Dodgers fans, with roots so deep that there is nothing the organization can do that would force you to finally look away?

There’s definitely an element out there certain of it. That regardless of what the McCourts do or don’t do, you’ll queue up at Dodger Stadium, 3.8 million strong, yelling, "Thank you sir, may I have another?’’

Latest evidence for the disenchanted comes via USA Today’s annual salary survey, showing the Dodgers dropping to 11th in the league in team payroll at $95.3 million.

The team in the No.2 market in the country, that leads all of baseball in attendance, down to a sad 11th. Down from $118.6 million two years ago and $100.4 million last season.

As Bill Shaikin reminded readers in The Times, when Frank McCourt became owner of the Dodgers six years ago, he said the team payroll would remain in the top quarter of all of baseball. So much for that.

Even the $95-million figure is somewhat generous, including almost $9 million in deferred payments to Manny Ramirez.

That still ranks it below the Tigers, the Giants and the small-market Twins.

That makes the organizational line that the McCourts’ divorce is not affecting the team payroll a tough sell. Particularly in light of continued court documents detailing an exorbitant lifestyle by the owners.

That ace pitcher the Dodgers have needed for several years continues as an unfulfilled wish.

It’s turning some fans off. One long-time Dodgers fan, former Los Angeles Newspaper Group columnist Paul Oberjuerge, said he’s finally had enough. In a scathing indictment of the McCourts in his blog, he said he can no longer pull for his childhood team.

"I am done … as long as anyone named McCourt retains ownership of the team.

"I cannot pull for the Dodgers to win, to succeed, to draw fans, when such vile people own the organization. People whose greed, selfishness and ego apparently are boundless.

"And we should buy tickets to see their team play?’’

Defenders of the realm will point out that the Dodgers have advanced to the National League Championship Series in consecutive seasons, that the McCourts did put money back into Dodger Stadium.

Meanwhile, the Dodgers’ opening-day starter was Vicente Padilla and their fifth starter is retread Charlie Haeger.

And a shrinking team payroll only emboldens the skeptics.

-- Steve Dilbeck

grin.gif

piece of crap owner ruining a proud franchise is the way i see it.

you knock on the door of the world series 2 years in a row and rather then try to improve your team, you cut payroll, get rid of players, and watch the team that mollywopped you in the nlcs 2 years in a row get the man that is arguably the best pitcher in baseball.

i just don't get it, this is the second biggest market in the country and the team has no problem with attendance but i guess frank mc donald sterling cheap doesn't see it that way.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

Kind of tough to keep a high payroll when you don't raise ticket, parking and concession prices.....oh wait!
That McCourt %+@!+***%*!!!!!
mad.gif

[h1]http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/04/pedro-will-start-throwing-plans-to-pitch.html[/h1]
[h1]Pedro Will Start Throwing, Plans To Pitch[/h1]
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [April 6 at 7:06pm CST]

TUESDAY, 7:06pm: Martinez has been linked to the Mariners, Twins, and Dodgers in recent days, according to Nick Cafardo of the Boston Globe.  Cafardo notes that Martinez still harbors bad feelings towards the Dodgers organization.

MONDAY, 2:30pm: Pedro Martinez plans to pitch in 2010 and will start throwing this week, according to Michael Silverman of the Boston Herald. Pedro will work towards a midseason signing like the one the Phillies added him on last summer. He says he can be ready soon.

“I’m in good shape, real good – it doesn’t take me that long to get ready,’’ he said.

He would prefer to pitch for a contender, on or near the East coast in the National League. Right now, the Phillies sound like a fit, given their interest in pitching. A few days ago, I wrote that Pedro could help somebody in 2010. He pitched well last year, but it wasn't until a month after he signed that Pedro appeared in the majors.

Dodger Faithful, tickets for opening day are available right now.
Since I'm boycotting  buying anything related to the Dodgers until this ownership issue is resolved.
Good luck at the games.

Originally Posted by ooIRON MANoo

I beg to differ, and I will only stick to the decade that just passed...

1. New York Yankees - $93 million
  2. Los Angeles Dodgers - $90 million
  1. New York Yankees - $112 million
  2. Boston Red Sox - $109 million
  3. Los Angeles Dodgers - $109 million
  1. New York Yankees- $125 million
  2. Boston Red Sox - $108
  3. Texas Rangers - $105
  4. Arizona D'Backs - $102
  5. Los Angeles Dodgers - $94
  1. New York Yankees- $152 million
  2. New York Mets - $117
  3. Atlanta Braves - $106
  4. Los Angeles Dodgers - $105
  1. New York Yankees -$184 million
  2. Boston Red Sox - $127
  3. Anaheim Angels - $100
  4. New York Mets - $96
  5. Philadelphia Phillies - $93
  6. Los Angeles Dodgers - $92
2005- 11th
2006 - 6th
2007 - 6th
2008 - 7th
2009 - 9th
2010 - 11th

We haven't touched the top 5 in payroll since the McCourts took over in 2004.  Kind of tough to keep a high payroll when you don't raise ticket, parking and concession prices.....oh wait!

That argument works against you, when you consider that the Dodgers have gotten better with each year that the payroll has gotten worse.

Think about Ned's tenure though seriously, he hasn't made hardly any good free agent signings. I'll give you Randy Wolf, Kuroda has been solid, but other than that they've all been bad for various reasons.

Frank has been %%%#!+ for the fact that he's broke. Other than that I don't have a big problem with the stuff he's done as owner.

Ned is %%%#!+ because he gives away every good prospect for nothing in return and then at the same time he overspends on mediocre veterans. All of this because he has a fetish for veterans and hates young players.

It's literally sickening to go down the list of guys who are very productive or will be very productive soon that are on other teams and then try to figure out what Ned got for that. 2 months of Casey Blake, and a set-up man that can't hit 90 but is due to make close to $5 Mil a year.

What youngsters did Colletti trade away?

Originally Posted by sinser13

a lot of teams are on his watch
I'm on that Gordon Beckham watch hoping he torches this season so they hold onto him. Still gonna be hard to top the Red Sox offer though.

[h2]http://hypebeast.com/2010/04/vans-vault-mlb-los-angeles-dodgers-mid-skool-lx-undefeated/[/h2]
[h2]Vans Vault x MLB Los Angeles Dodgers Mid Skool LX for Undefeated[/h2][h3]by L. Ruano, April 7, 2010[/h3]
vans-dodgers-undefeated-1.jpg

Vault by Vans and Major League Baseball are teaming up to celebrate the renewal of our national pastime with the Opening Day Collection. Available at select Vault accounts, Vans has created a special classic sneaker style for the corresponding hometown team. Just 12 pairs of Los Angeles’ Mid Skool LX and a matching limited edition Majestic Authentic Jersey will go on sale Tuesday, April 13th, only at Undefeated Silverlake.

Undefeated
3827 West Sunset Blvd.
Los Angeles, CA 90026

vans-dodgers-undefeated-2.jpg

vans-dodgers-undefeated-3.jpg

Back
Top Bottom