Official 2010 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (92-70) NL West Division Champions!

Anyone have any good HQ Giants pictures (past or present) that would make good desktop backgrounds?

Originally Posted by dland24

Anyone have any good HQ Giants pictures (past or present) that would make good desktop backgrounds?
I got you. I may have a couple. PM me your email address.

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

[h1]Catching prospect Posey says he feels comfortable at first[/h1]

Henry Schulman, Chronicle Staff Writer

Thursday, March 18, 2010
(03-18) 04:00 PDT Phoenix --On a scale of one to 10, with 10 being the most comfortable, Buster Posey said Wednesday he is "about a seven" playing first base, where he is seeing a lot of action this spring.
"I'm fairly comfortable," he said. "There are also some unknowns. It's like (bench coach Ron) Wotus was telling me, there are situations that arise you can't prepare for. Then it's that old cliche: You just try to be a baseball player."

When spring training began, manager Bruce Bochy said the 2008 first-round draft pick would take some grounders at first and maybe play a few innings there. But the Giants are giving Posey a longer look at first as they try to gauge what he can bring to the 25-man roster if he makes the team out of camp.

Posey went 0-for-4 as the designated hitter in Wednesday's 6-1 victory against Oakland but still is hitting .375.

Speedy Ford: Darren Ford, the lightning-quick outfielder whom the Giants acquired from Milwaukee in the 2008 Ray Durham deal, is turning heads this spring and should be in contention for the Harry S. Jordan award given annually to the best first-time big-league camper.

Ford has eight hits in 14 Cactus League at-bats after going 2-for-2 with a steal Monday. Ford is 24 and has not risen above Class A in five pro seasons, a red flag. But he also has 251 career steals and can play center field.

"Some guys take longer," Bochy said. "He abandoned switch-hitting and he's getting comfortable batting right-handed only. He's getting some big hits, not just today but all spring."

Briefly: Juan Uribe hit a solo homer and made two nice plays at second base. ... Barry Zito struggled with command but held Oakland to one run in 31/3 innings. ... The Giants have optioned or reassigned 16 players to the minors, most notably outfielders Thomas Neal, Roger Kieschnick and Wendell Fairley, first baseman Brett Pill, second baseman Nick Noonan, third baseman Conor Gillaspie and pitchers Osiris Matos and Clayton Tanner. ... Travis Ishikawa will play in his third minor-league game today and could play for the Giants this weekend.

Players on my trading block,

- Evan Longoria
- Carlos Pena
- Yovani Gallardo

Will take serious considerations at trades being offered.

Interesting to hear Krukow's assessment of Renteria's elbow injury last season...sure enough, he turns on that ball in the first for a HR. Maybe Rowand had the same ailment (I will be validated!
laugh.gif
)

anybody think wellemeyer secured the the no.5 spot in the rotation with his performance yesterday?

[h2]Giants option Madison Bumgarner[/h2]
Posted by Andrew Baggarly on March 23rd, 2010 at 8:47 am | Categorized as Uncategorized

Top prospect Madison Bumgarner has been optioned to AAA Fresno, along with RHP Joe Martinez.

Bumgarner entered as the top candidate to open as the No. 5 starter,but he had an erratic spring and struggled to top 89 mph. Martinez wasset back by elbow inflammation but has thrown twice off a mound andseems to be OK.

It’s between Todd Wellemeyer and Kevin Pucetas for the last rotation spot now, although Wellemeyer sure looks to be the guy.

Fresno should have a boffo rotation with Bumgarner, Martinez and perhaps Pucetas and maybe Henry Sosa, too.

So, I have never seen Bum pitch other than when he was in the show last year. Can someone explain to me the hype? Ive read it all. One of the top prospects in baseball....and the top for the Giants. I realize that every pitcher cant throw 95+, but struggling to hit 89? Why is he such a highly rated prospect?

Sounds to me like Sabean missed another opportunity to trade a high valued prospect at his highest value, and if we were to trade him now, we wouldnt get as much. I hope I am wrong, but Bum sounds like a prospect that will fail to make a big impact at the next level.

Originally Posted by dland24

Sounds to me like Sabean missed another opportunity to trade a high valued prospect at his highest value, and if we were to trade him now, we wouldnt get as much. I hope I am wrong, but Bum sounds like a prospect that will fail to make a big impact at the next level.

remember this

for this

imo sabean doesnt want to make another move like the liriano deal

You're basically faulting a guy for not having a crystal ball. He can't predict the future. Bumgarner was throwing in the mid 90's not too long ago. Why should a GM suddenly decide, "okay, now we unload him when his value is highest." You can do that with just about any prospect. Lincecum's value was high in the minors. I actually never heard of Pablo until the Future's game but that's beside the point. A GM will get run out of town if he suddenly unloads a top prospect out of the blue. Down the road it'll be acceptable if that prospect's arm falls off (Kurt Ainsworth). But if it doesn't ... It's just something you don't do, nor expect a general manager to do.

Originally Posted by What up

You're basically faulting a guy for not having a crystal ball. He can't predict the future. Bumgarner was throwing in the mid 90's not too long ago. Why should a GM suddenly decide, "okay, now we unload him when his value is highest." You can do that with just about any prospect. Lincecum's value was high in the minors. I actually never heard of Pablo until the Future's game but that's beside the point. A GM will get run out of town if he suddenly unloads a top prospect out of the blue. Down the road it'll be acceptable if that prospect's arm falls off (Kurt Ainsworth). But if it doesn't ... It's just something you don't do, nor expect a general manager to do.

I completely understand what you are saying.  All I am saying is that we had no problem trading Alderson, and we didnt get great value for him. Now, we wouldnt get anything close to what we could have gotten for Bum if we traded him a year ago.  
You say a GM will get run out of town if he unloads a top prospect out of the blue....well, when we were in the middle of a pennant race with ZERO offense last year, wouldnt qualify as out of the blue.  Top prospects get traded all the time man.  And even if 5 years from now, Bum turns out to be a very good ML pitcher, we will already have 2 or maybe 3 (if Sanchez develops) top of the rotation young pitchers.  We need some bats!

I dont EXPECT a general manager to trade all of our top prospects, but I will ALWAYS take a proven MLB player over a prospect.  Especially a pitching prospect when your organization is already loaded with them.

^ I disagree on the notion someone proven (aka more miles too) over a PITCHING prospect. You can NEVER have enough pitchers, let alone prospects.

Yes you need to put runs on the board, but you won't have to rely on big scoring games if you have starters 1-5, middle & long relief and a sound closer all locked down.

Back
Top Bottom