Official 2011 Wimbledon Thread (vol. start on the last page)

Originally Posted by aepps20

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

It's not low-key or gentlemanly at all though.
I've been saying this for years, and it's why I dislike him even though I love the way he plays.

He is the least gracious loser in the world. Unlike guys like Rafa who are constantly praising their opponents and are always gracious in victory or defeat, Roger always uses the "I didn't play that well" argument or some other BS.

The message is clear: He didn't win, I lost. I played poorly, if I had played up to my usual standards I would've won.

This happened all the time when he was still #1 yet Rafa murked him head-to-head. There were always little swipes and underhanded comments from Roger after losing. 
Anyway, yeah Joe, I think we've talked about his in the previous slam and the slam before that and the one before that... people praise him for how 'great' he is when he wins, but seem to forget how he acts the few times he loses.  Or maybe some of his fans just don't want to know... or perhaps his 'greatness' justifies it?  Hmmm.
I think Rafa's been the most genuine guy I've seen in a long time in praising their opponents.  

This is also why I was never a fan of Serena.  She often does the same when she loses... "I didn't do this, didn't do that..."... 
When was she ever lying though?  In fact, find me a top player on either tour that doesn't say the exact same thing when they lose.  Rafa is a guilty as the next guy, look at his 09 interview after soderling beat him at the French Open and he said what every top player says. 

Q. It was a great four‑year winning period. All things had to end, and it happened today, your series of wins. Did you expect such power tennis fromSoderling before the game? Were yousurprised during the match of the way he hit his ball consistently so hard,especially on the forehand, but also in general?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. No, no. He didn’t surprise me,because I know how he play, how dangerous he can be. Yesterday I didn’t play my best tennis. No, I didn’t attack in no one moment. I play very short, and I make him very easyto play at this level.

So when one player bad,must lose. That’s what happenedtoday. I have to accept with the samecalm when I win than when I lose. Afterfour years I lose here, and the season continue.

Q. Were you surprised that he was able to sustain the level of play that hedid throughout the match? Did you expecthim, at some stage, to perhaps have a little dip, which he never really did?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, when, for ‑‑ I playedvery short, you know. I play veryshort. I didn’t play great. I didn’t play with calm at no one time duringall the match.

That makes him easy toplay at this level during all the match, no? So was my fault, and more than ‑‑ well, sure, he did well. He did very well, but I didn’t ‑‑ yeah,I think I didn’t play my best tennis. And I didn’t play not my best tennis, no? I didn’t play my tennis, and for that reasonI lose. That’s it.

Sinner- I didn't bring it up but Serena Williams came to mind as soon as I started writing that about Roger. She is EXACTLY the same!! For some reason I don't fault her as much for it in my mind.....it may be unfair for me to give her a pass and not Fed but I feel like she's a hothead and she is so fired up after a loss that she can't bite her tongue. Roger seems way more composed.
As for Rafa......that's one interview and while he sort of pulls that card he doesn't do it to the extend Roger consistently does. He lost, to a clearly inferior opponent (as opposed to when Roger loses to Rafa), of course he's not gonna have good things to say about his own play. At least he gives Soderling SOME credit. And most of the time he says the "right things." He is pretty gracious in defeat. A lot of times Fed gives his opponent zero credit, which rubs me the wrong way. 

I love watching Roger play though.....and while I think Rafa will win I don't think it will be in straight sets. 

Originally Posted by SinnerP

Originally Posted by JOE CAMEL SMOOTH

It's not low-key or gentlemanly at all though.
I've been saying this for years, and it's why I dislike him even though I love the way he plays.

He is the least gracious loser in the world. Unlike guys like Rafa who are constantly praising their opponents and are always gracious in victory or defeat, Roger always uses the "I didn't play that well" argument or some other BS.

The message is clear: He didn't win, I lost. I played poorly, if I had played up to my usual standards I would've won.

This happened all the time when he was still #1 yet Rafa murked him head-to-head. There were always little swipes and underhanded comments from Roger after losing. 
Anyway, yeah Joe, I think we've talked about his in the previous slam and the slam before that and the one before that... people praise him for how 'great' he is when he wins, but seem to forget how he acts the few times he loses.  Or maybe some of his fans just don't want to know... or perhaps his 'greatness' justifies it?  Hmmm.
I think Rafa's been the most genuine guy I've seen in a long time in praising their opponents.  

This is also why I was never a fan of Serena.  She often does the same when she loses... "I didn't do this, didn't do that..."... 
When was she ever lying though?  In fact, find me a top player on either tour that doesn't say the exact same thing when they lose.  Rafa is a guilty as the next guy, look at his 09 interview after soderling beat him at the French Open and he said what every top player says. 

Q. It was a great four‑year winning period. All things had to end, and it happened today, your series of wins. Did you expect such power tennis fromSoderling before the game? Were yousurprised during the match of the way he hit his ball consistently so hard,especially on the forehand, but also in general?

RAFAEL NADAL: No. No, no. He didn’t surprise me,because I know how he play, how dangerous he can be. Yesterday I didn’t play my best tennis. No, I didn’t attack in no one moment. I play very short, and I make him very easyto play at this level.

So when one player bad,must lose. That’s what happenedtoday. I have to accept with the samecalm when I win than when I lose. Afterfour years I lose here, and the season continue.

Q. Were you surprised that he was able to sustain the level of play that hedid throughout the match? Did you expecthim, at some stage, to perhaps have a little dip, which he never really did?

RAFAEL NADAL: Well, you know, when, for ‑‑ I playedvery short, you know. I play veryshort. I didn’t play great. I didn’t play with calm at no one time duringall the match.

That makes him easy toplay at this level during all the match, no? So was my fault, and more than ‑‑ well, sure, he did well. He did very well, but I didn’t ‑‑ yeah,I think I didn’t play my best tennis. And I didn’t play not my best tennis, no? I didn’t play my tennis, and for that reasonI lose. That’s it.

Sinner- I didn't bring it up but Serena Williams came to mind as soon as I started writing that about Roger. She is EXACTLY the same!! For some reason I don't fault her as much for it in my mind.....it may be unfair for me to give her a pass and not Fed but I feel like she's a hothead and she is so fired up after a loss that she can't bite her tongue. Roger seems way more composed.
As for Rafa......that's one interview and while he sort of pulls that card he doesn't do it to the extend Roger consistently does. He lost, to a clearly inferior opponent (as opposed to when Roger loses to Rafa), of course he's not gonna have good things to say about his own play. At least he gives Soderling SOME credit. And most of the time he says the "right things." He is pretty gracious in defeat. A lot of times Fed gives his opponent zero credit, which rubs me the wrong way. 

I love watching Roger play though.....and while I think Rafa will win I don't think it will be in straight sets. 

I should clarify my Fed criticism, because it seems a little different that most. It has nothing to do with him being a sore loser, and I have NO problem with the arrogance.

My issue is that I feel like he puts on a facade. I just am not sure who the real Roger is.

Sometimes he wants to be arrogant, and sometimes he wants to be humble. Commit to one, man. If you want to be a ****, be a ****. If you want to be the naive little champion, be that.

People that hide their intentions like that bother me. My personal belief is that he genuinely is a bastard, and the reason you see any "class" from him is because he plays a sport of luxury or whatever.

"You were kind of a double kid I bet, right? One kid with your old man,one with your mother. Upper middle class during the week, and thenyou're dropping your 'r's and hangin' in the big, bad Southie projectswith your daddy the !+%*$@' donkey on the weekends... I got that right?Did you have different accents? You did, didn't you, you little !+%*$@'snake?"

I should clarify my Fed criticism, because it seems a little different that most. It has nothing to do with him being a sore loser, and I have NO problem with the arrogance.

My issue is that I feel like he puts on a facade. I just am not sure who the real Roger is.

Sometimes he wants to be arrogant, and sometimes he wants to be humble. Commit to one, man. If you want to be a ****, be a ****. If you want to be the naive little champion, be that.

People that hide their intentions like that bother me. My personal belief is that he genuinely is a bastard, and the reason you see any "class" from him is because he plays a sport of luxury or whatever.

"You were kind of a double kid I bet, right? One kid with your old man,one with your mother. Upper middle class during the week, and thenyou're dropping your 'r's and hangin' in the big, bad Southie projectswith your daddy the !+%*$@' donkey on the weekends... I got that right?Did you have different accents? You did, didn't you, you little !+%*$@'snake?"

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Fed is such a sore loser. That 09 Australian Open Final where he cried like a B was brutal.

Wow, I feel the exact opposite way about that moment...
I don't believe crying after a loss is ever justified and I was shaking my head when Roger did. But at the same time it just showed me how badly Roger wants to be the best and be on top. How he strives to continue his legacy although he is already considered the greatest to ever play the game. Any other player to have already accomplished everything Roger has would still be playing to win but it wouldn't kill them to lose knowing that his best days are behind them. For Roger it KILLS him to not be the best. His sheer love and respect for the game is unmatched and that is where he earns my respect.
Go Roger!

Originally Posted by HankMoody

Originally Posted by tSamShoX

Fed is such a sore loser. That 09 Australian Open Final where he cried like a B was brutal.

Wow, I feel the exact opposite way about that moment...
I don't believe crying after a loss is ever justified and I was shaking my head when Roger did. But at the same time it just showed me how badly Roger wants to be the best and be on top. How he strives to continue his legacy although he is already considered the greatest to ever play the game. Any other player to have already accomplished everything Roger has would still be playing to win but it wouldn't kill them to lose knowing that his best days are behind them. For Roger it KILLS him to not be the best. His sheer love and respect for the game is unmatched and that is where he earns my respect.
Go Roger!

Did anyone else notice the chair ump during the women's final yesterday?  She was 
smokin.gif
devil.gif

Roger is off to a good start.

Did anyone else notice the chair ump during the women's final yesterday?  She was 
smokin.gif
devil.gif

Roger is off to a good start.

OK. How the $%^ did Rafa win that set? After the first 7 games and judging by how well Fed was playing, it shoulda been all over...

And there we have it. Roger tried to get cute on that drop shot on set point and killed all his momentum.

And there we have it. Roger tried to get cute on that drop shot on set point and killed all his momentum.

OK. How the $%^ did Rafa win that set? After the first 7 games and judging by how well Fed was playing, it shoulda been all over...

nadal is the goat ... fed has all the skill and talent but he is mentally weak ... he finally started stepping into rafa's serve and as soon as his feelings got hurt he just went into a corner ... 
one of my favorite players but not the goat ... 

i hate nadal but 
sick.gif
 at his defense 

nadal is the goat ... fed has all the skill and talent but he is mentally weak ... he finally started stepping into rafa's serve and as soon as his feelings got hurt he just went into a corner ... 
one of my favorite players but not the goat ... 

i hate nadal but 
sick.gif
 at his defense 

Back
Top Bottom