Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

agree with crooks why ward doesnt need to travel

i watch the canelo VS lopez fight last night. my god canelo has some power, reminds me of cotto from back in the day from the body work and power. his defense sucks tho lopez was hitting him with some good shots but had no power in them

lopez showed so much heart think he can be good at 140-147

Josesito needs to stay @ 140, or at least avoid guys like Canelo. Last Saturday just proved he's way too strong.

:lol: Arum had a classic line:

"The commission let (Top Rank's Carl) Moretti know (Tuesday) night that he tested positive," Arum said. "I can't really get excited about it. There's no promoter in boxing who could pass the marijuana test, including myself."

Multiple injuries idle Sergio Martinez
Updated: September 19, 2012, 9:18 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Email
Print

Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez will undergo right knee surgery next week after suffering a minor tear during his unanimous decision victory against titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. last Saturday night at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

Martinez also suffered a fractured left hand during the fourth round and it is in a soft cast, but will not require surgery, DiBella said.

In addition, Martinez needed five stitches to close a cut over his left eye and two staples to close a deep gash in his scalp.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Rafael Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"He has some kind of tear in his knee," DiBella said. "It's not severe or an immense injury, thankfully. The hand is broken. His left hand is in a soft cast. It's a hairline fracture. There is also a bad bruise as well as the hairline fracture. That shouldn't be a big problem. The hand turned out to be better than we thought it was."

DiBella said the knee needs arthroscopic surgery to "clean it up."

"Sergio told me after the fight he would rather die than lose like that after beating Chavez so badly for the entire fight," Lewkowicz said. "He said he would have been so embarrassed. I said, 'How did you get up from that knockdown?' He said he got up for all of the millions of Argentines in this world."

:smokin

Multiple injuries idle Sergio Martinez
Updated: September 19, 2012, 9:18 PM ET
By Dan Rafael | ESPN.com

Email
Print

Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez will undergo right knee surgery next week after suffering a minor tear during his unanimous decision victory against titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. last Saturday night at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas, promoter Lou DiBella told ESPN.com on Wednesday.

Martinez also suffered a fractured left hand during the fourth round and it is in a soft cast, but will not require surgery, DiBella said.

In addition, Martinez needed five stitches to close a cut over his left eye and two staples to close a deep gash in his scalp.

Rafael's Boxing Blog

Rafael Get the latest scoop and analysis on the world of boxing from ESPN.com's Dan Rafael in his blog.

"He has some kind of tear in his knee," DiBella said. "It's not severe or an immense injury, thankfully. The hand is broken. His left hand is in a soft cast. It's a hairline fracture. There is also a bad bruise as well as the hairline fracture. That shouldn't be a big problem. The hand turned out to be better than we thought it was."

DiBella said the knee needs arthroscopic surgery to "clean it up."

"Sergio told me after the fight he would rather die than lose like that after beating Chavez so badly for the entire fight," Lewkowicz said. "He said he would have been so embarrassed. I said, 'How did you get up from that knockdown?' He said he got up for all of the millions of Argentines in this world."

:smokin

What we like to call Heart. Sergio is that dude :smokin :pimp:

On First Take, Pacman showed up and said he told Floyd and his camp that he agreed to drug testing at any time and a 45/55 cut, and later went on to just laugh at the mention of his name. Dude did a good job of picking and choosing his fights, he will prob agree to fight after he dukes it out with Marquez and a year older, smh @ Floyd

On First Take, Pacman showed up and said he told Floyd and his camp that he agreed to drug testing at any time and a 45/55 cut, and later went on to just laugh at the mention of his name. Dude did a good job of picking and choosing his fights, he will prob agree to fight after he dukes it out with Marquez and a year older, smh @ Floyd
and you did a good job of ducking the questions from a page back

and you did a good job of ducking the questions from a page back

laugh.gif
 You mad!

So you crossed out everything I said because?? I am just stating what has happened over the last day or so. Has nothing to do with our previous conversation, no need to get butt hurt doggy.

Middleweight champion Sergio Martinez's unanimous decision victory last Saturday night against titleholder Julio Cesar Chavez Jr., which featured one of the most dramatic endings in boxing history, generated 475,000 pay-per-view buys, HBO reported Friday.

The pay-per-view total, consisting of 250,000 buys from satellite services and 225,000 buys from cable and telco systems, generated nearly $25 million in domestic television revenue for the fight held at the Thomas & Mack Center in Las Vegas
but boxing is dead

Everyone's favorite active fighters or boxers you guys root for consistently?

Always been King Khan and Pun for me. Definitely Broner. Gamboa, Berto, Vic. Ward and Dirrell to a lesser extent.

We need more fighters like Maravilla. Willing to take on any challenger, fights through injuries. Rarely gets favorable treatment or advantage in any way, shape, or form.

Last edited:
This is pretty cool. Video of Lucas Matthysse watching the Martinez vs. Chavez Jr. at his house with his family.

When I was on my recent 11-day road trip to Oakland to cover Andre Ward-Chad Dawson, followed by a week in Las Vegas covering the Sergio Martinez-Julio Cesar Chavez Jr. and Saul "Canelo" Alvarez-Josesito Lopez cards, I heard a lot of stuff from a lot of people in the boxing business. And now I'm getting around to writing the highlights of what I heard:

• HBO is working on a Nov. 24 card that would be headlined by former welterweight titlist Andre Berto, who, after a positive steroid test knocked him out of a June rematch on Showtime with Victor Ortiz, was recently licensed in California. Berto's probable opponent? Junior middleweight titlist Cornelius "K9" Bundrage. Berto told me when I saw him in Oakland that he would move up in weight for the fight. He was licking his chops to get back into the ring, calling himself a "caged animal."

• Promoter Gary Shaw told me that he had made a deal with HBO for lightweight titlist Antonio DeMarco to defend against former junior lightweight titlist Adrien Broner on a Nov. 17 card that likely would take place in Atlantic City, N.J. Shaw said he was waiting to hear if HBO can make a deal with the Golden Boy/Broner side, but that he and DeMarco -- who needed less than a minute to blow out John Molina on the Ward-Dawson undercard -- were ready to go. Assuming the card comes off, heavyweight Seth Mitchell would face Johnathon Banks in the opener, a fight rescheduled after Mitchell's hand injury forced him out of the fight originally scheduled for July 14.

• Although Miguel Cotto's Dec. 1 fight at Madison Square Garden against junior middleweight titlist Austin Trout will take place on Showtime -- HBO also made a strong bid -- Top Rank's Bob Arum said he offered Cotto a guaranteed $13 million to take the rematch with Manny Pacquiao. When the Cotto side rejected that, Juan Manuel Marquez became Pacquiao's opponent for the Dec. 8 HBO PPV card at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Arum also said that Pacquiao had agreed to fight Cotto at as heavy as 150 pounds. Cotto will make far less than $13 million against Trout, but there is still a good possibility of a megafight with Alvarez if Cotto beats Trout. HBO didn't want to buy Trout-Cotto as a one-off. It wanted a commitment from Cotto for a second fight -- meaning Alvarez, who just went over to Showtime for the Lopez fight. No way was HBO going to pay in the $3.5 million range for Trout-Cotto if there was a possibility that the big fight between Cotto and Alvarez would go to Showtime.

• Arum also said that he has two new television deals in place for next year. Top Rank has long been heavily involved in promoting Hispanic fighters, especially Mexicans, but hasn't had a regular outlet since the end of its deal with Fox Deportes. But next year, Arum said, Top Rank will put 12 shows on Telemundo (which will increase its boxing presence from 12 annual cards to 24) and 24 more on Telefutura's "Solo Boxeo Tecate," where Top Rank once ruled the roost before Golden Boy took over as the main provider.

• Arum also said he was working with HBO to finalize a fight for welterweight titlist Timothy Bradley Jr., who was passed over for a rematch by Pacquiao. Arum and HBO both said the date for Bradley's return is Dec. 15. Arum said several names had been discussed, including junior welterweight Ruslan Provodnikov and a possible rematch with junior welterweight titlist Lamont Peterson (whom Bradley schooled in their first fight). Arum said he was also open to making a deal with Golden Boy for Bradley to face interim titlist Robert Guerrero. (That's a good fight, but don't hold your breath.) Another fighter Arum said he was open to matching Bradley with is British contender Kell Brook.

• HBO's contract with former junior welterweight titlist Amir Khan has ended, but the network is still interested in putting on his next fight. However, it doesn't want the kind that was offered by Golden Boy. One HBO executive said the network was offered a Khan fight for December against Humberto Soto. But HBO isn't interested in two guys who were drilled in their most recent fights -- especially Soto, an older guy fighting well above his best weight.

• According to the California State Athletic Commission, the Ward-Dawson super middleweight championship fight in Oakland -- Ward's hometown -- on Sept. 8 sold 7,611 tickets for a gate of $706,469. There were 1,038 complimentary tickets. Those are solid numbers that show Ward has a fan base, one that should only grow as he gains more recognition as one of the best fighters in the world

You guys hear about Corrie Sanders? Dude who KO'ed Wlad a few years back, shot dead by robbers at a family birthday party :smh: RIP.

I can almost guarantee you Bradley's next fight will be against Rios if he gets through Alvarado.

Yea but that rios vs alvardo will be fight of the year.. str8 slugfest should of been main event. Rios been real quiet usually he yaps his mouth not this time :lol:

Yea but that rios vs alvardo will be fight of the year.. str8 slugfest should of been main event. Rios been real quiet usually he yaps his mouth not this time :lol:

:lol: so true
that should have definitely been
the headliner
il probably make a trip down there for the match

RIP, Corrie.

Still can't believe "The Viper" is passed. Gone too soon. Gave my boy Mosely fits. "Styles make fights." Age-old mantra.

Back
Top Bottom