Official 2012 Boxing Thread: JMM/Manny IV - FOTY.

paul%20williams_01.jpg

tumblr_m4r86xoDWn1r83tmd.jpg

image.jpg

Great *!!%+*# Career

f973537be24a43f1a8110619cc7e5e3f246f0ff_r.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

frown.gif

It's sad
frown.gif
. I hope Williams makes a full recovery.

He always came to fight. We'll miss you in the ring Paul.

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=53376#ixzz1wGbTBHuC
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Rick Reeno

As previously reported on BoxingScene.com, former world champion Paul "The Punisher" Williams (41-2, 27KOs) was involved in a serious motorcycle accident on Sunday morning near Atlanta. BoxingScene spoke to Williams' trainer/manager George Peterson, who confirms the tragic news that Williams is indeed paralyzed from the waist down. Williams was going to attend his brother's wedding on Sunday afternoon.

Williams, 30-years-old, is scheduled to have surgery on Wednesday. That surgery, says Peterson, will be to stabilize the healthy upper half of his spine by putting a protective wall around it. Last week, Williams' team reached an agreement to fight undefeated rising superstar Saul Alvarez for the WBC junior middleweight title on September 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas.

BoxingScene.com: How did the accident exactly happen?

Peterson: Paul was in Atlanta for a wedding that was going to take place [on Sunday] at 5 o'clock. His brother was getting married [on Sunday] at 5 o'clock. He got two brothers and sister that live there in Atlanta. Paul lives about 45 minutes outside of Atlanta, in a place called Grovetown, Georgia. So Paul got his bike and he went down to Atlanta. There was a bachelor party that took place before the wedding. That was the night before. So when he left the bachelor party, around 7 o'clock Sunday morning, he was on his way to one of his brother's houses, on his motorcycle.

He was going to into this curb with this car that had the inside lane, Paul had the outside lane. Apparently the guy who was in the car was on his cell phone or something, but he drifted off into Paul's lane. Paul actually moved over to keep himself from hitting this car that was coming into his lane. Paul looked up and had this oncoming car coming down the road already. Paul said that if he didn't go completely across the roadway, he would have hit that oncoming car head on. He went completely across the roadway to keep from hitting this car head on, went down the embankment and when he came up he was about 60 feet in the air. The motorcycle went one way and he went the other. He must have flew airborne in the air about 100 feet. And when he came down, he came down on his back. And when he came down on his back, it severed his spinal cord.

BoxingScene.com: The extent of the injuries were then determined.

Peterson: When that happened, of course, after having MRIs and X-rays, it was determined that he wouldn't be able to have any body movements from the waist down because he had detached 90% of his spinal cord. So that other 10% left is what controls his upper body movement, his arms and his neck. So now what happens is, they are going to have surgery when the swelling goes down on his back to protect and stabilize that part of what's left of his spinal cord.

BoxingScene.com: Are the doctors saying there is absolutely no chance that Paul will walk again?

Peterson: No chance. No chance.

BoxingScene.com: How is Paul's mind state as far as coming to the realization that will never able to walk again and his boxing career will be over?

Peterson: Paul told me after I left the hospital room today....he said 'Pete, that means I'm going to have to do standup comedy again.' He said 'Pete, don't believe none of that stuff, I'll be back.' I was there for about eight hours yesterday and today.

BoxingScene.com: What happened with the other driver?

Peterson: There was no contact with the car. The other driver actually called 911 an waited for the ambulance to come and the police.

BoxingScene.com: Was Paul conscious or did he wake up in the hospital?

Peterson: Paul was conscious the whole time.

BoxingScene.com: I assume Paul was wearing a helmet, because an accident like that would have killed someone.

Peterson: Absolutely, you should see that helmet. He had a custom made helmet built especially for him, with a mask that covers the whole chin, neck and everything. If he would have had a regular helmet, he would have never made it. You should have seen that helmet. [The accident] shattered that mask and cracked the helmet. It took some damage.

BoxingScene.com: You guys had that fight finalized with Canelo, and most people were giving Paul a very good shot to win.

Peterson: The upcoming fight was a blessing from God. That was the one that we needed. And this guy had the ideal style for us. This guy can box and Paul loves to box. The thing about it is, he's the type of guy who would have allowed Paul to fight for three minutes of every round. He likes to fight the last forty seconds of every round. Paul is going to give you that 100 punches and that 110 punches every round.

We really liked this matchup. We were surprised too when it was made. But we understand why it was made. I understand promoters and managers. You get to a point after a while where you have to let your racehorse run. You feed him the best oats and you let him run and its up to him. We loved this situation because we were going in with all the edges, the height edge, the volume edge, the southpaw edge and we sure enough had the boxing edge. We had all the bases covered and not only that - we would have showed these people that Paul was back. Although they tried to write him off, Paul was back and this was the one that we needed.
>>>

Man....

Was talking to Cake last night and I told him straight up, I want a motorcylce bad, like real bad. But then I see horrible %%@# like this and it just makes me second think that decision.

There's noway I can put my family through that pain and tragedy if something severe were to happen to me.

I'll miss seeing PUN in the ring man, I pray he has a speedy recovery and CAN beat the odds....
frown.gif
frown.gif

I had a spinal cord injury at the age of 19. I was paralyzed from T2 down. Some of ya'll know my story. I'm back on my feet. I'll never play any type of sport again, and the doctors said that I most likely never walk again. I didn't have a traumatic injury. I had something called Transverse Myelitis, and then three years later a tumor grew on my spinal cord.

I say all this because in the beginning I was Mr. Positive. And I still am. But Mr. Williams is in for the biggest fight of his life.

I trust he will be alright, because he's a fighter after all.

But when you're in the prime of your life, and everything changes in a matter of minutes? Yeah, he's in for it.

Does anyone know if he already has children? A paralyzed man can still have children, sometimes it takes medical intervention. But his spinal cord is 90 percent severed right? It's a good chance his bowel and bladder function is all the way gone.

I'm a casual fan of boxing, and had seen a few of his fights. But when things like this happen, it draws me in, hits close to home.

Hold your head.

I will never understand why an athlete would take a risk riding a bike because of accidents like these. Too many of them have lost their careers and even lives. People need to understand the risk especially since for them there really is no reward from riding a bike other than some cheap thrills.

Man this is so sad.  I was really looking forward to the fight with Canelo.  Everyone was saying just wait until canelo gets into a real fight with Paul.  He has never seen anyone like Paul. 

47-2 career. 
frown.gif
frown.gif
frown.gif
i wish him and his family the best.

I was off.the map for most of the weekend so I only heard the news this morning from someone else. I'm not a fan or follower of Paul Williams in any sense but the paralysis part really hit me. I really hope the advances in medicine can help him a la Eric LaGrande. Having to retire in the prime of a boxing career is one thing but to be confined to a wheelchair for the rest of one's life? Unimaginable anguish. I hope he has a great support system around him and that people won't abandon him because he's not a prizefighter anymore.

^Honestly felt the same way...my stomach turned when I heard paralyzed. ACL, back, ankle, elbow injuries etc. don't really affect me but paralysis is forever. The finality of it is disheartening.

Originally Posted by CAFinest23

Originally Posted by Scott Frost

Originally Posted by GUNNA GET IT

Great *!!%+*# Career

f973537be24a43f1a8110619cc7e5e3f246f0ff_r.gif

pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

frown.gif
tired.gif

Damn, that is sad, sad news. 

Man I feel so sad for Paul like he's my family or something. I can't believe this still.

Same here and I wasn't even a big fan of the guy.  It's just depressing to hear for a 30 year old fighter.

R.I.P. Johnny Tapia, so tragic, he could have been an all-time great. His demons overshadowed an otherwise illustrious career. Five-time world champ, could've been an all-time great. 

and Paul Williams, I just can't even find the words to describe how broken up I am about him. He JUST began his journey back to the top.

Sad day in boxing.

I couldn't stop thinking about this %$$* yesterday...
Boxing is such a niche sport and the circle is so small that when something like this happens it hits closer.
I've been watching Paul for so long that it really feels like this %$$* happened to a personal friend of mine.
I really hope he finds a way to walk ...but when I hear doctors say things like "no chance" he'll walk again, it's discouraging.
What's everyone's favorite Paul Williams moment?
Mine will always be his war with Sergio Martinez. Truly one of the best fights over the last five years or so.

margarito Fight. Paul put Hands on that dude From the Opening bell. and he withstood Tonio's late surge to dominate 11th and 12th.

Instant reverence

[h1]SERGIO MARTINEZ: "PAUL AND HIS FAMILY ARE IN MY THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS"[/h1]By Press Release | May 29, 2012

sergiomartinez.jpg

After reading reports that came out this weekend that Paul Williams was in a horrible motorcycle accident, which has left the former welterweight and junior middleweight world champion paralyzed from the waist down, a shocked and saddened middleweight champion, Sergio "Maravilla" Martinez commented on the tragic event.

"Upon learning of Paul's injuries, I was deeply saddened," said Martinez, who twice shared the ring with Williams, with their first epic battle being named the Boxing Writers Association of America's "Fight of the Year" for 2010.  "When you are in the ring with a real champion, you know it, and Paul Williams was a very great champion, in every sense of the word.  Paul and his family are in my thoughts and prayers through this very difficult time."

That first round KO of Quintana is up there for me. After looking so awful in the first fight and just to turn it around and demolish in the first round. Made me find a different level of respect for him after that.

Yeaaaaahh man.
pimp.gif

thats how the %@** you avenge a loss.

also appreciate Paul's fast talking borderline Geechie interviews
laugh.gif
"yuhKnouhhummsayin"

Yea he said that ##%% after every sentence
laugh.gif

Forgot to post this, weekend wrap up. Gonna update the first page with the June schedule.

Spoiler [+]
Saturday at Nottingham, England

Carl Froch TKO5 Lucian Bute
Super middleweight
Wins a super middleweight title
Records: Froch (29-2, 21 KOs); Bute (30-1, 24 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: It's amazing what one night can do to change the perception of a fighter. On this night, Froch went from underdog considering retirement in the event that he suffered his second loss in a row to the highest of highs after a sensational victory in an excellent fight on an absolutely electric night at the Capital FM Arena in his hometown of Nottingham. The place was packed to the rafters with a sellout crowd of about 9,000 chanting and cheering all night in scene reminiscent of a Ricky Hatton fight and they got what they came for -- an upset knockout victory from Froch, who claimed a 168-pound title for the third time in an explosive performance that will rank up there as one of the best of the year.

Froch, 34, said he would consider retirement if he lost to Bute. After all, Froch was coming off a one-sided loss to Andre Ward in December in the final of the Super Six World Boxing Classic, and another loss to another elite fighter in the division would have been a problem. But Froch fought like a man possessed in the bout carried live by Epix in the United States. He said afterward that he was like an animal in the ring, and he was right.

Bute, 32, a native from Romania who has become a megastar in his adopted hometown of Montreal and throughout Quebec, took the fight with Froch in Nottingham because he wanted to prove that he could still be successful outside of his comfort zone. He even took less money to go to England than he could have by fighting another opponent in Canada -- because Froch, after spending the two years and four fights fighting on the road, was determined to have a hometown fight. With probably about 1,000 or more supporters who made the trips from Canada and Romania, Bute, who was eyeing his 10th title defense, seemed relaxed during the week and fought well in the first round. But then Froch picked up the pace. The expectation was that his jab would be a crucial weapon, but he dispensed with it early and began to just walk toward Bute, a southpaw, looking to land anything, especially his powerful right hand. He began clipping him hard in the third round and nearly knocked him down. Referee Earl Brown could have called a knockdown when it was clear the ropes had held up the dazed Bute. Bute rebounded in the early part of the fourth round to give the fight some very exciting ebb and flow, but Froch began to hammer him late in the round. He had Bute nearly out on his feet and laying on the ropes after landing a series of clean shots near the end of the round. Bute was lucky that the bell sounded because a few more seconds of punishment could have resulted in a knockout. It was academic in the fifth round as Froch continued his assault. Bute, his left eye swelling, was taking massive punishment as Froch's right hand landed nearly at will.

Bute seemed like he had recovered by the start of the fifth round and was trying to box Froch and stay out of his punching range, but it was only a brief respite. Froch backed him into the ropes and landed a massive right hand that sent Bute's heard rolling all over the place. Bute was basically out as Froch smashed him with about eight more shots, including another flush right and a left hand that left Bute falling into the ropes. Brown threw up his hands in a signal that looked to everybody that he was stopping the fight. The crowd went wild, Froch ran across the ring and jumped on the ropes to celebrate and his promoter, Eddie Hearn, dashed into the ring to celebrate with him. However, as it turned out, Brown was administering an eight-count, having ruled a knockdown because the ropes had held Bute up. Hearn went running back out of the ring before Brown could see him -- because Brown was facing Bute -- but it did not matter. Bute's trainer, Stephan Larouche, was coming into the ring to stop the fight and Brown was also stopping the fight, calling it off at 1 minute, 5 seconds, sending the place into pandemonium in what was one of the biggest nights in British boxing history.

For Froch, it was the biggest win of his career, which is saying a lot for a guy who already owns quality wins against Jean Pascal, Jermain Taylor, Andre Dirrell, Arthur Abraham and Glen Johnson (the last three coming in the Super Six). Bute just could not stand up to the pounding he took. Some will say he was exposed, which is not fair, but that's how some will view it. If anything, he deserves credit for having the stones to leave his hometown and take on a serious challenge. But now he also has a decision to make. Bute has the option to exercise an immediate rematch with Froch for a fight that would take place in Canada. Some on his team do not believe he will pick it up after the beat down he suffered, but you never know. If he takes the rematch, it will be a huge fight in Canada. If he doesn't, promoter Jean Bedard of InterBox will likely bring him back in a hometown fight to rebuild his confidence. He's such a great attraction that Bute doesn't need the Froch rematch to make a lucrative living. As for Froch, there is no point to a rematch with Ward, who easily beat him. It seems like his best potential fight, assuming Bute doesn't take the rematch, would be for him to have a rematch with Mikkel Kessler, who is coming off a sensational knockout of Allan Green two weeks ago. Froch lost a title to Kessler in the Super Six in Kessler's hometown of Copenhagen, Denmark, in the best fight of the tournament. A rematch would be a natural.

Carl Frampton W12 Raul Hirales
Junior featherweight
Scores: 120-108, 119-109 (twice)
Records: Frampton (14-0, 9 KOs); Hirales (16-1-1, 8 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Northern Ireland's Frampton, 25, known as "The Jackal," is considered one of the United Kingdom's top prospects. He turned pro in 2009 after approximately 160 amateur bouts and plenty of experience in the top European tournaments. He has gotten a lot of attention as a professional in part because he is managed by the revered Barry McGuigan, the former featherweight champion, International Boxing Hall of Famer and Irish icon. McGuigan is moving him quickly as Frampton captured the Commonwealth title in his 11th professional bout. Hirales, 28, of Mexico, was just the kind of fighter who might be able to give Frampton a decent test if he was not in top shape. But Frampton looked like he was in supreme condition and dominated Hirales. Although tough and game, Hirales could not keep up with Frampton's speed, movement and accurate punching. Frampton won virtually every second of the fight even though Hirales stalked him throughout what became an increasingly tactical bout from Frampton, who knew he could do basically as he pleased. Although it was not the most crowd-pleasing affair, Frampton undoubtedly will take away some good lessons from facing a solid opponent as he continues to work his way up the ladder that many believe will end with a world title.

Pier-Olivier Cote TKO5 Mark Lloyd
Junior welterweight
Records: Cote (19-0, 13 KOs); Lloyd (15-6, 3 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Cote, who will turn 28 on Wednesday, of Quebec City, is one of Canada's brightest prospects even though he did not start boxing until he was 19. But he went on to have a strong amateur career and has displayed a dynamic style, good speed and excellent power in the pro ranks. American fans probably got their first look at him on Showtime in November when he scored a sensational second-round knockout against Jorge Teron, his best opponent to date, on the Lucian Bute-Glen Johnson undercard. Cote, who was born in Colombia, orphaned when he was 8 months old and adopted by a Quebec City couple when he was 18 months old, was supposed to return to Showtime to headline a "ShoBox: The New Generation" card in February. However, Cote withdrew because of illness. No formal announcement was ever made about what his specific ailment was, but his handlers said he was extremely fatigued, had a fast heart rate and that he needed to take some time off.

Returning after the seven-month layoff, Cote looked pretty sharp in the opening bout of the Epix telecast against Lloyd, 36, a tough journeyman from England who did his best to take Cote deep into the fight. But Cote was dominant. He moved well, fired punches almost at will and was never in any remote trouble as Lloyd, a plumber by trade, showed almost no offense. Cote scored two knockdowns in the fifth round, first slamming Lloyd to his backside with a perfectly placed right uppercut. Later in the round, it was a left hook that dropped Lloyd for the second time and Cote showed off his athleticism when he had to leap over Lloyd, who had fallen at his feet. Lloyd was on his feet by the count of eight, but in trouble. Cote chased him around and was firing unanswered shots as he backed Lloyd into the ropes. He was raining punches on him when referee Terry O'Connor stepped in at 2 minutes, 45 seconds. While Lloyd lost his fifth fight in a row, Cote is ready to step up his competition level again. He said he enjoyed his experience of fighting in England and called out some of the U.K.'s best fighters, including former junior welterweight titlist Gavin Rees of Wales, who now holds the European lightweight title.

Saturday at Tucson, Ariz.

Jesus Soto Karass W10 Said El Harrak
Welterweight
Scores: 97-93, 96-94 Soto Karass, 97-93 El-Harrak
Records: Soto Karass (25-7-3, 16 KOs); Harrak (10-2-1, 5 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: When former welterweight titlist Antonio Margarito suffered an Achilles injury, Soto Karass, 29, of Mexico, was moved into the main event of Top Rank's Azteca America card to face El Harrak, 24, who is from England but lives in Las Vegas. Soto Karass was in desperate need of a victory, which he got by split decision. He entered the fight 0-4 with a no contest in his previous five fights, including two losses to welterweight contender Mike Jones, the first of which was a controversial decision. But Soto Karass was surprisingly stopped in his last fight when Gabriel Rosado took care of him in five rounds in January. Although one judge gave the nod to El Harrak, Soto Karass turned in a steady performance and appeared to deserve a unanimous nod in a good showing against an inexperienced opponent. Soto Karass was, as always, aggressive and threw enough punches to sway at least two of the judges in a competitive fight.

Jose Benavidez Jr. W6 Josh Sosa
Junior welterweight
Scores: 60-54 (twice), 59-55
Records: Benavidez Jr. (15-0, 12 KOs); Sosa (10-3, 5 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Benavidez, who turned 20 this month, of Phoenix, is one of boxing's most renowned blue chip prospects. He was only 16 when he became a National Golden Gloves champion, the youngest ever, in 2009. He is so gifted that the Nevada State Athletic Commission gave him a special waiver so he could turn pro at age 17 instead of 18, which is what the rules mandate. But despite the gifts Benavidez has, he also has fragile hands. He has had multiple bumps and bruises to his hands and was out for the past six months because of surgery on his right hand after hurting it in a November fight. Top Rank scheduled him for a fight in February, but he aggravated the hand and that fight was canceled. Making his return since having the operation, Benavidez cruised through six one-sided rounds and got in some work against Sosa, 28, of Leavenworth, Kan., who lost his third consecutive fight. Benavidez won by near shutout. Hopefully, his hands came out of the bout OK so he seems no more disruptions to what should be a very bright future.

Saturday at Cancun

Pablo Cesar Cano KO9 Fidel Monterrosa
Junior welterweight
Records: Cano (24-1-1, 19 KOs); Monterrosa (29-6, 23 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Mexico's Cano, 22, got an unexpected last-minute opportunity to challenge Mexican legend Erik Morales for a vacant junior welterweight belt in September on the Floyd Mayweather Jr.-Victor Ortiz pay-per-view undercard and, even though Cano was stopped in the 10th round, he put up a brave performance in a crowd-pleasing fight. Cano won his return bout in February and was back again to headline a Golden Boy Promotions card on its new Fox Deportes series against Colombia's Monterrosa, 23. This was a good, tough battle in which Monterrosa provided a solid test for Cano, who got the better of the action throughout the fight. Finally, in the ninth round, Cano landed a crunching body shot that floored Monterrosa, who was unable to beat the count from referee Manolo Alcocer and the fight was called off at 1 minutes, 13 seconds. Monterrosa tried to complain that he had been hit low but the replays showed the shot was above the belt and clean.

Sergio Thompson TKO5 Juan Roman Solis
Junior lightweight
Records: Thompson (23-2, 21 KOs); Solis (17-6, 6 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: On March 31, Thompson scored a major upset by stopping former featherweight and junior lightweight titlist Jorge Linares in the second round to crash the top-10 lightweight rankings. The bout was supposed to be nothing more than a tune-up fight for Linares, who already had a deal in place for a rematch on July 7 against lightweight titleholder Antonio DeMarco, who had stopped Linares in the 11th round to win the vacant belt in October in a fight that Linares had mostly dominated. But Thompson erased that plan with his unexpected victory and was fighting for the first time since. Thompson, 27, was back fighting at home in Cancun, where he had also faced Linares, but dropped down to junior lightweight when he faced Solis, 29, of Argentina. Thompson was extremely aggressive and just too much physically for Solis to deal with. Thompson dropped Solis with a clean right hand in the first round, although Solis rose quickly. Thompson pressured him the entire fight and landed a many thunderous punches. In the fourth round, he was really taking it to Solis. He was landing all kinds of blows when he was credited with a knockdown that came from the combination of a right hand and a push. It could have been ruled a slip. Thompson had another huge round in the fifth as he punished Solis, who took a shellacking but stayed on his feet. As Thompson was teeing off on him, Solis' corner threw in the towel and the fight was called off with 24 seconds left in the round. This was another good performance for the crowd-pleasing Thompson, who could soon find himself in a the picture for a title shot at either lightweight or junior lightweight.

Deontay Wilder TKO1 Jess Oltmanns
Heavyweight
Records: Wilder (22-0, 22 KOs); Oltmanns (10-3, 7 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: This supposed fight -- all 26 seconds of it -- was an absolute farce. It was a mismatch on paper, to be sure, like all of Wilder's pro fights have been. But no matter how overmatched Oltmanns was, he, Wilder and the fans deserved to see the fight unfold. Instead, referee Manolo Alcocer rendered the bout even more pointless than it was on paper because of his horrid stoppage, one of the worst you will ever see. Wilder, 26, of Tuscaloosa, Ala., whose bronze medal at the 2008 Beijing Olympics was the only hardware claimed by the worst team in American Olympic history, has been brought along at an exceptionally slow pace. Golden Boy has matched him with one no-hoper after another and Oltmanns, 36, of Bartonsville, Pa., was just the latest. He was a poor opponent whose previous two losses came via first-round knockout and a decision loss in his last fight to Joseph Rabotte, a sub .500 fighter Wilder had previously knocked out in the first round. So there were no expectations that this fight would be anything to call home about. However, it was even worse than expected as Wilder dropped Oltmanns with the first real punch of the fight. It was a right hand that landed on top of Oltmann's head and he immediately went down. However, he popped right back up and did not appear badly hurt, but it was too late. That is because literally as soon as he went down Alcocer immediately rushed over to him, waived his arms and called off the fight while Oltmanns rightfully complained. Wilder probably would have blown him out anyway, but this was just awful. Golden Boy needs to step Wilder up at least a tad because these mismatches are becoming a joke. Wilder has been a pro for 3½ years and has yet to face anyone with a pulse while scoring 14 knockouts in the first round and going into the fourth round just once. How is he learning anything from these joke fights?

Saturday at Brentwood, England

Audley Harrison TKO4 Ali Adams
Heavyweight
Records: Harrison (28-5, 21 KOs); Adams (13-4-1, 5 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: It has been more than 10 years since Harrison became an overnight sensational in his native England by winning an Olympic gold medal at the 2000 Sydney Olympics. But he never came close to reaching the top in the professional ranks, despite his promises, boasts and a fat TV contract from BBC to begin his career. He was a huge disappointment who earned the derisive nickname "Fraudley," which never came more into play than in November 2010. That is when Harrison was handed an undeserved opportunity to challenge then-world titleholder and countryman David Haye.

In one of the worst heavyweight title bouts in history, Harrison turned in a pathetic performance. He may not have thrown one legitimate punch in the bout before being knocked out in the third round. It was an embarrassing performance and such a bad fight that England's Sky network decided to stop putting boxing on pay-per-view because of the outrage that followed. Returning 18 months after that forgettable fight with Haye, Harrison, a southpaw, tried to re-launch his career at age 40 against Adams, 30, an Iraqi living in England who figured to be a soft touch based on his very light resume. Harrison, as usual, was tentative for the most part and did a lot more posing that punching, whereas Adams tried to press the action against his bigger opponent and landed some decent shots. However, he did no real damage. Harrison knocked Adams down with a right hand in the fourth round and finished him with a flurry of punches moments later. Harrison, who said he will see a doctor to examine the left shoulder he said he injured in the fight, now would like to face one of the top up-and-coming United Kingdom heavyweights -- Tyson Fury or David Price.

Friday at St. Charles, Mo.

Ji-Hoon Kim W10 Alisher Rahimov
Lightweight
Scores: 98-92, 97-93, 96-94
Records: Kim (24-7, 18 KOs); Rahimov (23-1, 12 KOs)
Rafael's remarks: Kim, 25, of South Korea, has become a staple of ESPN2's "Friday Night Fights" for a reason -- because every time he is on, win or lose, he is in a terrific fight. This one with Rahimov, 34, a 2000 Olympian from Uzbekistan, was no different. Kim, who loves nothing other than to get into a war, scored the upset in a bruising, physical fight in which he simply overwhelmed Rahimov with a ridiculous punch output that probably had the CompuBox guys icing down their fingers from punching so many buttons. Kim landed 294 of an absurd 1,225 punches thrown (24 percent) while Rahimov connected on 200 of 624 shots (32 percent). Despite all the constant leather being swapped, neither fighter ever appeared in much trouble, although Rahimov had some swelling around his eyes from early in the fight. They exchanged punches at a fierce pace for most of the fight, including right to the final bell after a very past-paced 10th round. This was an excellent victory for Kim and a setback, no doubt about it, for Rahimov. After Kim suffered back-to-back losses in 2010 (including a first-round knockout to Lenny Zappavigna in a title eliminator), he has now won three fights in a row and probably would test any lightweight in world just based on his sheer aggressiveness. Kim is still limited, make no mistake, but he is so much fun to watch and dangerous because he is fearless, in great condition and loves to wing big right hands that could hurt anyone.

What are your thoughts on Peter "Kid Chocolate" Quillen? You think he can be a top guy in the middleweight division?

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=53434#ixzz1wNdOfXeO
This is a legal waiver. By copying and using the material from this article, you agree to give full credit to BoxingScene.com or provide a link to the original article.

By Miguel Rivera and Jose Luis Camarillo, notifight.com

As BoxingScene.com previously reported on Tuesday,  a deal is nearly complete for Saul "Canelo" Alvarez (40-0-1, 29KOs) to defend his title against James Kirkland (31-1, 27KOs) on September 15th at the MGM Grand in Las Vegas. Canelo was originally scheduled to fight Paul "The Punisher" Williams, who suffered serious injuries in a tragic motorcycle accident last Sunday in Atlanta. 

According to World Boxing Council President, Jose Sulaiman, Canelo-Kirkland will be sanctioned as a "mandatory defense."

"I am communicating with the governing board of our council in our [santioning] body for Canelo to make his mandatory defense against James Kirkland. The WBC had determined that the 'Perro' Angulo was the [mandatory] challenger, but Angulo went to Cancun to fight Kirkland and was knocked out. Then Kirkland was ordered to fight with Vanes Martirosyan, but [Vanes' camp] rejected it, and such, Kirkland is the official challenger," Sulaiman said.

The situation is strange because by all accounts Vanes agreed to face Kirkland, but then Kirkland suffered a shoulder injury in his March fight with Carlos Molina. Because Kirkland was injured, the WBC ordered Vanes to face Erislandy Lara. Vanes rejected the fight with Lara because there was no guarantee the winner would get Canelo in the fall, and then Lara was made the number one contender per the WBC.

Kirkland has now been medically cleared to face Canelo in September and both sides expect the fight to happen.

Lara, promoted by Golden Boy Promotions along with Canelo and Kirkland, vented his frustrations over being stepped over in a BoxingScene interview.

Vanes, who won a few eliminators and the WBC's silver title at 154, is also outraged.

"This is crazy, Golden Boy and [Oscar] De La Hoya know that I'm free to fight with Canelo, but they don't want give the fans the fight they want," Vanes said.

USS is talking heavyweight and look at this man Timmy
laugh.gif

bradley-rematch.jpg

Article Link - http://www.boxingscene.com/?m=show&opt=printable&id=53439#ixzz1wOftTJYn

By Osman Rodriguez

Despite his tragic accident on Sunday, former champion Paul Williams is in very good spirits. The boxer, who was originally scheduled to face WBC champion Saul "Canelo" Alvarez on September 15, was seriously injured in a motorcycle accident on Sunday near Atlanta. Williams is currently paralyzed from the waist down and the doctors believe the boxer will likely never be able to walk again.

From his bed in WellStar Kennestone Hospital, Williams was joking and feeling good as he spoke to Atlanta's 11Alive. Williams hopes to walk again, but realizes the odds are very slim. One of his doctors recently stated there is a 90% chance that Williams will not recover any movement below his waist. Doctors expect the swelling in his back to size down in time for an operation on Thursday to stabilize the healthy portion of his spine which controls his upper body movements.

"We had a big fight -- supposed to be -- coming up," Williams said. "I'm sorry that it got pushed back. But that's all right. That's the way the cookie crumbles."

"[Doctors] told me there's a very slight chance of walking, because the spine was, like, crushed, or whatever," he said. "I should be able to sit up on my own. But as far as me walking, and all that, it's all on me. I'm going to be walking, I know that. That's how I feel. If I can't walk, then, oh well, hakuna matata [No Worries]. I'll be on a boat fishing."

Williams' trainer/manager, George Peterson, is amazed with Williams' warrior mentality.

"He's not suffering at all," Peterson said. "He's absolutely without pain. No broken bones, no scratches, no bruises, or anything of that sort. So, for the most part, he's all set, and he's ready to go. The doctors mentioned that he would never walk again. The first thing he told me is, 'Mr. Peterson, I'm just sorry, I'm just sorry that this happened,' he said. 'But I'll get ready and I'll get back to camp. In a couple of days I'll be in and out of here.'"

Back
Top Bottom