::Official 2012 Fantasy Baseball Thread::

Let's see if Rendon can make it through a full season healthy first. I know he's a top 3 pick so you automatically have to look out for his numbers but the kid is never fully healthy. Plus, he'll probably have to move to second and his ankles won't like that.

Shelby should be up in August or so I'd imagine. Bauer should replace those bums Saunders/Collmenter soon.

Interested to see how Alonso uses all of Petco with his great hitting ability and if Dusty will let Mesoraco loose if he outplays Hanigan.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Let's see if Rendon can make it through a full season healthy first. I know he's a top 3 pick so you automatically have to look out for his numbers but the kid is never fully healthy. Plus, he'll probably have to move to second and his ankles won't like that.

Shelby should be up in August or so I'd imagine. Bauer should replace those bums Saunders/Collmenter soon.

Interested to see how Alonso uses all of Petco with his great hitting ability and if Dusty will let Mesoraco loose if he outplays Hanigan.
That's my concern with Rendon as well. Many share the belief that the Nats are more urgent to get him up in the majors and will indeed move him to 2B with Zimmerman blocking Rendon's natural position at third. He's got legitimate .285 AVG/25 HR potential barring more injuries of course.
You think Collmenter is a bum? I feel like he's a decent back-end guy. Nothing more, nothing less.

Dusty is the only thing holding Mesoraco back. If it was any other manager, I'd let Devin rake. Salvador Perez was poised for a big season before the surgery on his torn meniscus. Back in three months.

Would you be interested in starting another NT league? There's significant interest within this thread. 

Originally Posted by BRaTZ DoS

I'll set one up on Yahoo. We can always change the draft date. 

http://baseball.fantasysports.yahoo.com/b1/174597

PW: niketalk
I'm in this, Prime Performers 
pimp.gif

Good stuff, Bratz. I'm in. Minor setting detail: Prefer no innings cap if everyone else is on board with that. 

^ That league full already?

First time back in the fantasy baseball league after a 3-year hiatus. Should be interesting.

if you have the 7-9th pick, would you pass on robinson cano and grab a-gon, car-go, votto, longoria or ellsbury and try to grab pedroia or kinsler in the 2nd round? i'm always very picky about my 2B cause it is the hardest position to fill for me. who would be the better 2B's after cano, pedroia, and kinsler?

Originally Posted by diew its james

if you have the 7-9th pick, would you pass on robinson cano and grab a-gon, car-go, votto, longoria or ellsbury and try to grab pedroia or kinsler in the 2nd round? i'm always very picky about my 2B cause it is the hardest position to fill for me. who would be the better 2B's after cano, pedroia, and kinsler?
I would definitely go Cano or Votto with the seventh to ninth pick range. Cano is going to have a MVP-type season. Votto is only behind Miggy and Albert for 1B. 
I'm willing to take chances at 2B on J. Weeks and Ackley this year. But to answer your question: Uggla, Zobrist, and Phillips after the 2B you named. I also like Michael Young because of his versatile position availability. 

Originally Posted by blackredxiiigoat

My man Cru needs to write for Yahoo Fantasy Sports forreal 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Appreciate it, BlackRed. Just trying to help out as many fellow NTers as possible. I would definitely be interested in a position like that if the opportunity ever presented itself.
I feel baseball can be the hardest out of the big three in fantasy sports (football and basketball being the other two). The season is long and you must be able to find injury replacements. 

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
 Appreciate it, BlackRed. Just trying to help out as many fellow NTers as possible. I would definitely be interested in a position like that if the opportunity ever presented itself.
I feel baseball can be the hardest out of the big three in fantasy sports (football and basketball being the other two). The season is long and you must be able to find injury replacements. 
Agreed. Baseball is definitely the most demanding and intricate of the big 3 in terms of fantasy sports.

MLB.com had a position listing for a part time fantasy sports writer recently (I forget what the name of the actual position was). Seemed very interesting, would've applied but my fantasy baseball awareness is rusty after having taken a year off. If it was football I would've been all over it.

laugh.gif
laugh.gif
Agreed. Baseball is definitely the most demanding and intricate of the big 3 in terms of fantasy sports.

MLB.com had a position listing for a part time fantasy sports writer recently (I forget what the name of the actual position was). Seemed very interesting, would've applied but my fantasy baseball awareness is rusty after having taken a year off. If it was football I would've been all over it.)
Thanks for the heads up, I'll have to check that out. Please keep me posted if you hear about any future openings as well. I'll be sure to send you invites for the numerous NT fantasy football leagues we have every season. 

Bratz, you mind if I shoot it to another NTer? Cubs fan, always on and was in Team Yankees FB last season and participates all year. Just didn't have one for the Yanks this year.

I would definitely go Cano or Votto with the seventh to ninth pick range. Cano is going to have a MVP-type season. Votto is only behind Miggy and Albert for 1B. 
I'm willing to take chances at 2B on J. Weeks and Ackley this year. But to answer your question: Uggla, Zobrist, and Phillips after the 2B you named. I also like Michael Young because of his versatile position availability.
the thing is that i really like 5-cat batters like kemp, braun, ellsbury, and pedroia and i don't see why a 4-cat player like cano is ranked so high, besides the fact that he plays 2B. i mean you can still find guys who will get somewhere close to 90runs/90rbi/25HR/.280+BA in the 2nd-3rd rd. when i mock i usually go ellsbury then pedroia, locking up 2 solid 5-cat players and a 2B, but i might be over valuing stolen bases?

this is my second year watching baseball so i still have a lot to learn. any insight to strategy/breakout players/sleepers/busts are appreciated

Cru,

Will do.

Diew,

I also am a huge fan of 5 category batters, and tend to lean that way in drafts but I think the main reason for Cano being ranked so high is exactly what you said, he plays 2B. That's the biggest reason, in my opinion, that he's valued the way that he is.

His numbers would be very good at most positions (save for maybe 1st base, where they'd still be more than solid) but with Chase Utley having fallen off due to injury, there's really no other elite level players at 2B besides Pedroia who has a little less power. Cano gets more RBI opportunities too, hitting where he does in that great lineup. Annually a very good average, and he's in his prime.

Kinsler is very good doesn't have the batting average, Phillips is still good money but he too has less power than Cano.

With all that being said, I probably wouldn't take him in the 1st but that's because of personal preference.

Ironically he's on my team now, but that was as a keeper. I damn sure wasn't letting dude go. 
laugh.gif

the thing is that i really like 5-cat batters like kemp, braun, ellsbury, and pedroia and i don't see why a 4-cat player like cano is ranked so high, besides the fact that he plays 2B. i mean you can still find guys who will get somewhere close to 90runs/90rbi/25HR/.280+BA in the 2nd-3rd rd. when i mock i usually go ellsbury then pedroia, locking up 2 solid 5-cat players and a 2B, but i might be over valuing stolen bases?

this is my second year watching baseball so i still have a lot to learn. any insight to strategy/breakout players/sleepers/busts are appreciated
That's a very sound strategy and I wouldn't necessarily argue against it, but just consider that you'd be relying heavily on Boston having a strong offensive season. Ask anyone on this board, I'm the biggest Ellsbury fan there is but I have to be real, the power numbers will go down slightly. I think Cano is rated so highly because everyone is truly expecting a MVP year from him and no other 2B quite puts up the same power numbers. You could argue Uggla, but his average is putrid. I don't feel 2B is necessarily a deep position either like OF, thus the reason for some fantasy players reaching especially for Cano, Kinsler, Pedroia, and Uggla. Plus it certainly helps to be in a lineup with Grandy, A-Rod, and Tex. Not to mention Jeter and Swisher both still are effective with their bats. I'd almost put more faith into the Yanks' hitting than Boston by a small margin. 
If you are extremely concerned about SBs, buy Gordon (SS) high and Jennings (OF). Bourn and Maybin are other OF options along with Ichiro and Gardner. 

For breakout players: I've been targeting Wilson Ramos (C) in all my leagues. You can get him late and for cheap. I'd much rather have Ramos than reach for a Wieters or Posey. I think Boesch is going to rake learning from Prince and Miggy. Ike Davis was having a good year for the Mets pre-injury. Can be had relatively late for a 1B. 

Possibly the most important advice is not to reach or stress over closers and saves. Soria and Madson already went down. Broxton and Marshall step in. The closer position can be like a revolving door unless you have Mr. Reliable like Mo Rivera. I like Betancourt and Street for saves if you can get them in later rounds. Also, I track "experiment" players very closely. For example: Bard and Sale transitioning to starters. 

Another piece of advice: I like players with versatile position eligibility. Mike Young and Bonifacio for example. It's a long season and you need injury replacements handy. 

One of the few rookies not to ignore: Jesus Montero. 

Kinsler is still a world class 2b though. He gets injured and still puts up 30/30 and 20/20. Maybe not taking him over Cano/Pedroia but he's not that far behind. I hate doing BA in fantasy
laugh.gif

Send the league to whoever. You guys figure out when the draft should be. I just set a random date and time. I also have it officially starting April 9th but it seems like we're almost full already so I can change that too.

Originally Posted by Proshares

Kinsler is still a world class 2b though. He gets injured and still puts up 30/30 and 20/20. Maybe not taking him over Cano/Pedroia but he's not that far behind. I hate doing BA in fantasy
laugh.gif

I did kind of forget about the SB aspect with Kinsler. Definitely a huge plus and it helps offset his BA, although he's had years the BA has been good so maybe he rebounds in that category this year.

thanks for the insight, blackred and champcru. i will definitely be reading this thread frequently so please post any news about major injuries and who to pickup/drop as the season progresses, i'm usually the last to know when someone from the waiver wire becomes extremely valuable 
laugh.gif

another question, what are your strategies on picking up SP's? there are a handful of great SP's in the first 3 rounds(verlander, kershaw, halladay), then they hold off until around round 6-7, and finally in the last rounds i see a lot of people digging for every pitcher left. do you hold off on pitching until the end or do you do something like 3 batters/1pitcher?

thanks for the insight, blackred and champcru. i will definitely be reading this thread frequently so please post any news about major injuries and who to pickup/drop as the season progresses, i'm usually the last to know when someone from the waiver wire becomes extremely valuable 
laugh.gif

another question, what are your strategies on picking up SP's? there are a handful of great SP's in the first 3 rounds(verlander, kershaw, halladay), then they hold off until around round 6-7, and finally in the last rounds i see a lot of people digging for every pitcher left. do you hold off on pitching until the end or do you do something like 3 batters/1pitcher?
I try my best to go BPA regardless of position to avoid the risk of unnecessarily reaching for a player based purely on position need. OF and SP are probably the two deepest positions in fantasy baseball, allowing managers to find late but still productive selections. For OF, I think Crawford and Werth are undervalued because of poor 2011-2012 seasons. RP also, but to a lesser extent. You can definitely hold off and wait to go RP later than other positions. Try to get Addison Reed late, could be the White Sox closer by year's end. Like I said, C can be a late selection as well. Besides Ramos, Mesocaro could be good if Dusty unleashes him. Salvador Perez will be a good FA pickup in two to three months after the meniscus surgery. 
I like leagues with no innings cap because that allows for a "quantity over quality" strategy, which I've used to some effect in past NT leagues. Instead of having a Kershaw or Halladay at the top of your fantasy rotation, there's a combination of Beckett and Masterson for example. Specifically, I would target Josh Johnson (great value barring injury), Masterson (Cleveland's anointed ace), Cueto (usually undervalued despite good numbers in 2011-2012), and Luebke (SD sleeper).

For everybody, Adam Dunn is a great value late-round pick. He can't possibly do worse than last year and a lot of fantasy managers have seemed to forget about his power potential. 

Back
Top Bottom