OFFICIAL 2012 LOS ANGELES DODGERS THREAD : 68-58 Dodgers/BoSox complete minimal trade

These guys are only delaying the inevitable :lol:

If the Reds win the next 2, and Dodgers sweep out, I'm gonna go crazy.

Last edited:
It only gets crazier: Broxton in to hold the lead in the 8th, gives up a hit to his first batter Holliday
laugh.gif

Mark Ellis' baserunning decision was obviously horrible, but Don Mattingly's 9th inning might have been even worse.

If you're going to pinch-run for Ethier, do it immediately when AJ is up.

Don't have AJ bunt. :x He is too good of a hitter to have up there giving up an out.

The run expectancy for a runner on first with no outs is 0.972. That number for a runner on second with one out — 0.746.

If it was a bad hitter up, sure, have him bunt. But AJ Ellis is a good hitter and he gave away those strikes and that out.

Oh well.

Not going to question the strategy, yes AJ had a jack earlier, but he's been struggling during the second half. We don't have a sure-fire base stealer, Dee Gordon is fast but I don't think he's a good baserunner yet (CS 10 times).

AJ lays down the bunt, non-issue, but he failed to do it. Luckily, Gordon managed to steal... barely.

Bonehead decision by Ellis, but **** happens. Giants gave us a chance by putting in Mota, don't know what Bochy was thinking, probably owed Donny a favor.

:lol: I was going to bump this after the Giants won the NLCS.

All I'll say is that I feel our organization is going in the right direction. It's getting me by :smile:.

What, cause of the slide? People really underrate chemistry in baseball, it's huge. Too many players were added in a short amount of time on top of that you had half the starting lineup living out of a suitcase or dealing with injuries.

1b Gonzales (suitcase, adjusted his swing to Fenway and now needs to readjust)
2b Ellis (injuries)
3b Cruz (Stepped up big time)
SS Ramirez (suitcase)
LF Victorino (suitcase
CF Kemp (injuries)
RF Ethier
C Ellis

On top of that, too many injuries to the rotation, yet got eliminated on the last day and the bullpen was solid despite Jansen going down.

It's going in the right direction, just need that elusive starting pitching, since Bills might be a wild card now due to his elbow.

The off-season is in full swing, so don't know if you guys want to shut this thread down or start a new one.

Dodgers Re-Sign Brandon League
By Zach Links [October 30 at 10:24pm CST]
10:24pm: The 2016 vesting option can escalate from $7.5MM to $9MM based on games finished, according to Jim Bowden of ESPN.com (via Twitter). League can also earn an additional $500K per year based on games finished.

8:27pm: League's option for 2016 is worth $7.5MM and will vest if he finishes 55 games in 2015, tweets Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times.

8:01pm: The deal, negoatiated by League's representatives at ACES, is worth $22.5MM across three years with a vesting option, according to Tim Dierkes (via Twitter).

7:01pm: The Dodgers have re-signed reliever Brandon League, a source tells Dylan Hernandez of the Los Angeles Times (via Twitter). There's no word on the dollar amount yet but Hernandez reports that the deal is for three years (Twitter link).

League's representatives told Hernandez on Saturday afternoon that the two sides were discussing a three-year contract. The 29-year-old earned $5MM last season in his final year as an arbitration eligible player.

The Dodgers acquired League on July 30th for a pair of minor leaguers, outfielder Leon Landry and right-hander Logan Bawcom. In 28 appearances for the Dodgers last season, the California native posted a 2.30 ERA with 8.9 K/9 and 4.6 BB/9. League was less-than-stellar in Seattle but rebounded nicely in Los Angeles and finished out the year as closer.

The Dodgers are hoping to keep most of their bullpen in place and General Manager Ned Colletti has said that he hopes to hang on to League, Jamey Wright, and Randy Choate. As a whole, the Dodgers' pen had a 3.23 ERA on the year, good for fourth-best in the National League and eighth-best in the majors.

League got off to a slow start in a Dodger uniform, but really settled towards the end and was solid in the emergency closer role after Jansen went down. Last year, spending this type of money on League would've of pissed me off, this year not so much. Feels good to type that out.

Dodgers Decline Options For Coffey, Rivera, Treanor
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [October 29, 2012 at 4:38pm CST]
The Dodgers have declined the 2013 contract options for Todd Coffey, Juan Rivera and Matt Treanor, Dylan Hernandez of the LA Times reports (on Twitter). The players are now free agents.

Coffey's contract included a $2.5MM club option with a $300K buyout, Rivera's contract included a $4MM club option with a $500K buyout, and Treanor's contract included a $950K option with a $150K buyout. The team has confirmed the moves (Twitter link). For more on the Dodgers' winter plans, check out my recent Offseason Outlook post.

Coffey was expected to be a big part of the bullpen but his season was derailed by injuries. Rivera was a good "fill-in", but he was only on the roster because he was cheap to acquire, bye bye Juan. I was a fan of Treanor as a backup, might get resigned or might hang it up.

Back
Top Bottom