Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally Posted by Buc Em

Damn. Perry Jones probably would have gone 2nd or 3rd overrall last year. This year he'll be lucky to even get picked in the top 10.
Slow down man.

If he gets to the combine measures out near 7 feet, jumps out the gym and nails off court interviews watch him shoot back up draft boards.

all of this could easily happen and I would bet will almost certainly happen.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Damn. Perry Jones probably would have gone 2nd or 3rd overrall last year. This year he'll be lucky to even get picked in the top 10.
Slow down man.

If he gets to the combine measures out near 7 feet, jumps out the gym and nails off court interviews watch him shoot back up draft boards.
eyes.gif
  Yeah, but can he ball? That's all that matters. 

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

Slow down man.

eyes.gif
You're giving NBA GMs too much credit.

the whole NBA team picking PJ3 in the top 10 / lottery is a big risk talk is getting crazy 
laugh.gif

in the last 2 NBA draft's players like wes johnson,  ekpe udoh, al farouq aminu and jimmer all went Top 10
sick.gif

laugh.gif

some Team taking PJ3 with a top 3 pick yeah that could be a problem but after pick number 6 Nah

Originally Posted by show time 96

the whole NBA team picking PJ3 in the top 10 / lottery is a big risk talk is getting crazy 
laugh.gif

in the last 2 NBA draft's players like wes johnson,  ekpe udoh, al farouq aminu and jimmer all went Top 10
sick.gif

laugh.gif

some Team taking PJ3 with a top 3 pick yeah that could be a problem but after pick number 6 Nah

Johnson, Udoh, and Aminu were still all trash picks. Jimmer was a reach too, IMO. However, this year is supposed to be stocked with more talent so I guess there's less of a need to take that risk with him. His ceiling is still very high, but this kid just doesn't looked passionate about or interested in basketball most of the time.

So, teams overvaluing talent in previous years makes it worthwhile to do the same for this upcoming draft with PJ3? Don't think so.

Originally Posted by PMatic

Slow down man.

eyes.gif
You're giving NBA GMs too much credit.
Also, underselling Perry Jones a bit. With his athleticism and coordination, there's no reason he shouldn't be a very good player. By all accounts, he's a really good kid (his story is actually really sad and he's gone through a lot). At the end of the day, he's still an elite 6'10 athlete with ball handling skills and a jumpshot. Those guys don't grow on trees. His real issue is defense. If a team thinks they can mentor him with the right veterans and teach him with the right coach, he has all the tools to be a really good defender.
He obviously didn't put it all together in college and he may never have that killer instinct that we expect but he can still be really good. I'm not a huge fan of Baylor's coach (that zone defense 
sick.gif
) and think Perry could be a lot better in the league. 

Of course, he could also end up being a soft big man who only shows up in spurts. After the first couple picks, someone'll definitely take the risk. The only issue is if it's the right situation for PJ to succeed. It doesn't happen often with these type of guys. 

I'm not saying it's a good idea but im just saying, in non 5 on 5 scenarios s gm can talk himself into Perry Jones, and once you get outside the top 8 I don't see anybody who's a significantly better prospect. all of them have their strengths and weaknesses.

an argument can be amde for and against Perry, just like Royce or anyone out side the top 5.

- Scott Drew is a bad coach,
- he has played with trigger happy guards who aren't great distributer.
- he was playing out of position, he is really a 3 instead of a 5.

im not saying these are correct, but a case can be made...draft mistakes are often made by overreacting to bad tournaments.

Who would have thought PJ3 would be such a polarizing prospect? I've seen draft analysts that top-5 love him and others that would let him slip outside their top-10. 
One story worth sharing: Baylor fans were upset that PJ3 tweeted happily over a B+ grade on a school assignment during the season. Critics were saying, "Get in the gym and focus more on basketball." PJ3 was actually forced to defend his attention to academics by replying, "I'm a student-athlete." 

I will say this, if McAdoo and Cody Zeller come out (unlikely), PJ3's value will be driven down the board significantly. 

So, teams overvaluing talent in previous years makes it worthwhile to do the same for this upcoming draft with PJ3? Don't think so.
Not saying that at all...  just that people thinking PJ3 is a big Risk not worth picking in this lottery are wrong IMO
After about # 6 or 7 i think he would be a Great pick you can't tell  me John henson or terrence jones are some how a hands down better option 
laugh.gif

I know you weren't saying it but some people do believe it but PJ3 is definitely not a 3.

Can someone tell me the fascination with McAdoo? He looks like a classic 3/4 tweener who's not good enough on the perimeter to play 3 but not big enough to play 4 in the NBA. I could see him being a decent player but top 10? Maybe if he stayed another year and polished up his skills but now? Am I missing something?

I don't like Terrence Jones either, but I would take Henson before I would take Perry.

When PJ3 asserts himself, he's a pretty damn good player on the college level. Other times you get what you saw in the tournament...A timid player. You translate that to the NBA and he's nothing more than one of those type players that shows nothing but flashes of stardom, but for 80% of the time he's on the floor is nothing more than a medicore player who lacks the aggresiveness, given his talent, to really succeed as a lottery type value.

I don't like Terrence Jones either, but I would take Henson before I would take Perry.

When PJ3 asserts himself, he's a pretty damn good player on the college level. Other times you get what you saw in the tournament...A timid player. You translate that to the NBA and he's nothing more than one of those type players that shows nothing but flashes of stardom, but for 80% of the time he's on the floor is nothing more than a medicore player who lacks the aggresiveness, given his talent, to really succeed as a lottery type value.

Aren't the complaints about him the same that we heard about Odom for years?

So he might not be an AS. That's fine by me. Only 24 of those. If his ceiling is 15 & 8, I can live with that every day of the week.

Show Time, I would actually strongly consider taking Terrence Jones over PJ3. There's so much untapped potential with Jones and he can do everything from the forward position. Reminds me of Josh Smith somewhat. 
MGrand, I agree with you. PJ3 can not and will not project as a 3 in the NBA. His handle and perimeter game are not that good to be playing SF consistently on the wing. Bulk up his frame and let him stay at PF. He certainly has the length. I also believe that McAdoo could benefit from another year at Chapel Hill, but almost everyone has him as a top-10 lock if he comes out. He's got a high ceiling and runs the floor well but is relatively raw and inexperienced as a prospect. I suppose draft analysts are selling McAdoo high after the tournament run and starting in place of the injured Henson. 

Paul, the thing that worries me about Henson is he virtually has little to no offensive game. Yes, he's developed it more and improved much this season but Henson just doesn't look smooth or natural with any of his post moves. Will that come with time? Belief or lack of belief in his offensive growth will determine whether Henson lands top-8 or top-16. 

No matter hwo hard I try, I can't stop liking Terrence Jones....Is Antoine Walker too much of a stretch for him
nerd.gif

Does anybody think Mason Plumlee will be SOLID in the L's? Dude has crazy athleticism that I think can translate in the NBA....

If the Kings can nab Bradley Beal they should trade Tyreke ASAP...

Originally Posted by mgrand15

I know you weren't saying it but some people do believe it but PJ3 is definitely not a 3.

Can someone tell me the fascination with McAdoo? He looks like a classic 3/4 tweener who's not good enough on the perimeter to play 3 but not big enough to play 4 in the NBA. I could see him being a decent player but top 10? Maybe if he stayed another year and polished up his skills but now? Am I missing something?

He needs another year, but he definitely isn't a tweener he's a face up for IMO.

This is spot on.

Originally Posted by mgrand15

Personally I don't see why he can't be a three, he showed that ability in high school, I feel like all his instincts are that of a 3, he's a good ball handler, he's a really good passer. Scott Drew used him very traditionally, but put it this way, Terrence Jones is allegedly a three and I don't think he's a better ball handler or profiles as  abetter shooter than Perry.

McAdoo, off the charts intangibles allegedly, NBA body and athleticism. I don't think he's a tweener, i feel like most power forwards are his size in todays game, Josh Smith, Kevin love, Blake Griffin, all these guys measured out 6'9 or less without shoes, it's the evolution of the game. 6'11 power forwards like Chris Bosh are becoming the exception.

You can see his work ethic just in the development in body from high school to fresh man year, plus NBA scout more and more are shying away from headcases man, I truly belive the main reason Tristan THompson went so high is because he is an impressive interview. Don't under estimate that with GM's, thats why a guys like Harison Barnes, Perry Jones, James Mcadoo or Myck Kabongo are always going to get picket higher than they should

Terrence Jones is a better ball handler and shooter though it's not really a question....Terrence Jones led a team to a Final 4 last year, this year he has been overshawdoed cause he has the top 2 players in the draft on his team but even his emotional, unstable self will bust his @+@ out there instead of just floating through games.  Perry just floats good luck with that, kid has zero motor right now.

Back
Top Bottom