Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Originally Posted by Al3xis

Don't like Leonard much at all. Especially to be 10-15 spots ahead of Plumlee by most accounts. Same guy.
Once you cross that magical 7 foot line on measurements NBA GM's loose there minds thats how we get mistakes like Patrick O'Bryant or Hasheem Thabeet.
laugh.gif
Wanna hear a story that nobody will care about? my sophomore summer, we are playing an AAU team against this ogre looking, unathletic big man, he must have gotten dunked on ATLEAST four times that game. I remember wondering whatever happened to that guy, sure enough 5 years later this dude is getting drafted IN THE LOTTERY 
roll.gif

Originally Posted by jt solemates lm

yeah he definitely should stay for his last year.
Are you talking about Thomas Robinson? 

If so, I don't get why yall are saying he should stay for one more year.  At the very worst, he'll go #5 overall. 

Relax, T-Rob is going to be a problem in the L. 3rd best player behind Davis & MGK imo.

Doron Lamb def. played himself into the first round. He needs to play on a team like the Bulls man.

Teague
pimp.gif
improved better than any player this season as the year progressed. First round?

Sullinger i wouldnt draft period... ppl think hes elton brand but hes not. Honestly deshaun and beauford are much better prospects in my eyes.

Co-sign on trob bein useless offensively and he doesnt block shots well either for his size. His heart will make him haslemesque to a team tho i think

Teague sucks, and still sucks, if you like point guards who can't shoot and turn the ball over every second possession then go ahead draft him.

Terrence Jones impressed me this tourney. Interested to see what his wingspan is at the combines.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Terrence Jones impressed me this tourney. Interested to see what his wingspan is at the combines.

Yeah I made fun of Terrence Jones a lot, but that dude is going to be a professional basketball player, he did everything Kentucky asked of him, played winning basketball.

He doesn't have the skills or mentality to be a star in the league, but a solid starter/high level bench guy on a playoff team? I would bet on that.

Holy hell. I didn't realize all this.
As the Jazz launch their April schedule tonight in Portland, these combinations remain available to them:

• No. 1: Making the playoffs and losing their own first-round draft pick, but gaining Golden State's pick.

• No. 2: Making the playoffs and losing both draft picks.

• No. 3: Missing the playoffs and keeping their lottery pick, besides gaining Golden State's pick.

• No. 4: Missing the playoffs and keeping their pick, but losing Golden State's pick.

My preferred scenario, by far, is No. 1. The more likely projection, as of Monday morning, is No. 4. But they're all still in play, with the outcome to be determined not much sooner than April 26, the last day of the regular season.

To review: If the Jazz make the playoffs, they have to give Minnesota their 2012 first-round pick, via the Al Jefferson trade. If Golden State's pick is not in the top seven (after the lottery results), the Warriors must give it to the Jazz, via the Deron Williams trade with New Jersey.

To me, competing in the playoffs — even for only four or five games against Oklahoma City — would be a valuable experience for a young team. And if the Jazz could do that and still have a lottery pick, that would be perfect.

The problem with that combination is the Jazz are slumping and Golden State is crumbling. The Jazz have lost four of five games since winning six in a row, falling below No. 8 Houston in the Western Conference. But the Rockets gave the Jazz some hope Sunday by blowing a 10-point lead in the fourth quarter of an eventual overtime loss to Indiana.

The Rockets, still playing without guards Kyle Lowry (bacterial infection) and Kevin Martin (sprained shoulder), have four straight road games, so the Jazz have a good chance to move ahead of them this week. The teams will meet April 11 at Houston in a key game. Phoenix also is in the picture; the Jazz host the Suns on Wednesday and again April 24.

Clarence Gaines, a former Bulls scout on Anthony Davis.
Who is Anthony Davis? Camby, Duncan, Garnett, Chandler, or Russell?

Decided to write this blog because Nate Jones, aka @JonesOnTheNBA wanted to view my college scouting reports on Marcus Camby when he was a freshman. Jones, who is responsible for at least 80% of my followers on twitter, wanted to get my view of a young Camby in comparison to Kentucky's freshman phenom, Anthony Davis. I don't have scouting reports from Camby freshman's year, but I do have them from his sophomore and junior years.

I started tweeting in April, 2009. Eventually, I started publishing some of my old scouting reports on twitlonger.  I was amazed at the response I got from people who read them.  A few people who followed me on twitter convinced me to start a blog, and "A Scout's Perspective" was born on February 28, 2011 with my first post, "A Coaching Challenge."

This blog is partly about Anthony Davis, but it's more about the process of scouting.  I will publish all of my scouting reports on Marcus Camby and Tim Duncan. I saw Duncan the summer after his freshman year at Wake Forest. Wrote reports on him through his junior year and didn't waste my time writing anymore about him during his senior year; he was that good.  My dad, Clarence "Big House" Gaines often saw him play during his freshman year and raved about his talent. I vividly remember him saying that he dominated UNC's highly touted big men, Eric Montross and Rasheed Wallace as a freshman and that he was easily the best player on the floor.

University of Kentucky's Anthony Davis has set the college basketball world ablaze in his freshman year. Basketball pundits and fans love to compare players.  Even John Calipari, Kentucky's head coach couldn't resist comparing Davis to a former player he coached, Marcus Camby.  After seeing Davis play for the first time, he texted Camby, "I found another you ... but he can shoot."

Actually, Calipari had found a player with significantly more upside than Camby; besides possessing more offensive skills, Davis' physical characteristics (wing span, vertical extension, explosive & reactive strength) will allow him to be a superior defender and rebounder on both ends of the floor.

Chad Ford, senior NBA writer for ESPN.com went on a tweet fest about Davis during the semi-final round of the final four.  Ford said the comparison that is "most common is Marcus Camby meets Kevin Garnett, but one GM insists he's Tim Duncan 2.0." Then Ford chimed in that if the Tim Duncan comparison makes you mad, one old school GM said Davis reminded him of a young Hakeem Olajuwon.

Can't go along with the Olajuwon or Garnett comparisons, but I'm down with a blend between Camby and Duncan. Think Davis' career will have a lot more parallels with Duncan than Camby. Actually, the blended player comparison I like better than Duncan/Camby is Tyson Chandler meets Tim Duncan.  I tweeted the Chandler/Duncan comparison during the championship game between Kentucky and Kansas and a few people couldn't put their minds around Davis being compared to Tim Duncan. One reason they can't put their mind around it is because they think of Tim Duncan in his prime in the NBA. I see a player who has a similar temperament to Duncan and whose offensive game can approach Duncan's in time. I see the raw athleticism and defensive/rebounding instincts that Tyson Chandler displayed as a high school player; but Davis has more offensive skills as a freshman than Chandler has now in the NBA.

Comparing players is fun for basketball fans. One of my twitter followers @PakkAttackk wrote to me "Please, PLEASE tell me you don't agree with the Russell comparison. PLEASE, STOP THE REACHING!" "Stop overhyping Anthony Davis. He's not Duncan, Russell even Tyson Chandler. He's not THAT good. Relax." I actually never considered the Bill Russell comparison, but whose to say that he can't reach those heights. When's the last time the Most Valuable Player in an NCAA game scored only 6 points and went 1-10 from the field. Never! Other aspects of his game against Kansas were Russellesque; 16 rebounds, 6 blocks, 5 assists, and countless Intimidations (ESPN said he blocked or altered 16% of Kansas' shots).

However and to whomever you want to compare him with, he will one day be celebrated in basketball circles for his own unique skill set, personality and game.  Eventually, he won't be compared to others, and that day will come sooner than you think. Then one day, twenty years from now, another tall, athletic freak of nature will come along and somebody will say that kid reminds me of Anthony Davis and somebody like @PakkAttackk will tell them that they are crazy.

MARCUS CAMBY

SOPHOMORE YEAR:

vs. Temple - 1/21/95  - Tremendous defensive performance. Blessed with exceptional quickness and great timing. Plays extremely well in space. Quick jumper. Outquicks people to the ball. Very good rebounder on both ends of the floor. Excellent team defender. Effectively closed down the middle with 8 blocks and many intimidations. Good job of smothering Brunson on screen/roll series. Quick feet. Like his instincts for the game on the defensive end and his rebounding. Though he has a slight frame, short arms, and is not strong, he can make the most impact at the power forward spot. Probably quick enough to guard small forwards, but he is so valuable to a team when he is allowed to patrol the lane. Short arms are not as important because of his height, quickness, reactions and jumping ability.  Has broad shoulders. He can get stronger and bigger. Excellent jumping ability. Great defender. Runs the floor with ease. Did not do much on the offensive end. Though he is shooting 56% from the free throw line, he had a consistent delivery from the line and made pressure free throws at the end of the game. High, quick release on shot. Good two-footed jumper--can finish in traffic. Withstands the bump, and finishes with dunk off dive cut. Utilizes glass at an angle from 12 feet. Able to claim tough rebounds on the offensive end. Just takes the ball away from Temple's players. Plays above the rim and makes big plays that mean the difference between winning and losing. Very close to his Grandmother Ruby, who died in early January .. SEASON STATS: 12 g, 21.8 min, 59% FG, 56% FT, 7.3 reb, 3.0 blk, 15.6 pts.

vs. Tulsa - 3/24/95  - Ver¥ special talent. Should figure in our plans if he decides to declare himself for the draft. Love his quickness and reactions. Light feet. Runs so easily. Probably the quickest and most graceful big man that I have seen. Excellent speed -- so fluid. Exceptional at running the floor and getting into a lane in break situations. Excellent rebounding instincts. Quick jumper. Excellent pursuit of the ball. Quick to the ball. As a defender, I like him better than Joe Smith. Excellent perimeter and interior defender. Quick hands. Great shot blocker. Provides support for his teammates and is effective at shutting down the middle. Demonstrated more versatility on the offensive end than in previous game. Able to play with his back to the basket and score. Maintains his shooting form when challenged. Hitting his mid range shots after catching, pivoting to face the basket. Very good at putting the ball on the floor and getting to the basket--his speed and quickness will create mismatch situations when he attacks the rim off the dribble. Needs to develop as a passer when facing double teams, but I see progress.

vs. Oklahoma St. - 3/26/95 - Never found a rhythm to his game. Was stupidly aggressive on the offensive boards. Committed two straight fouls going for offensive rebounds. Midway in the second half (4 fouls for the game.) Opened up against Reeves in the first half and switched off of him early in the first half after committing a quick foul. This enabled him to roam and protect the lane in the first half. His defensive potential is very high. Quickness and timing are exceptional. Handles double team. Hits dive cutter. Needs more poise in executing from the low post. Has not been close on his shots from the outside. Shooting range is a little suspect. Needs to improve outside shooting. Subpar game for him.

JUNIOR YEAR:

vs. Xavier - 2/4/96 -  Has not impacted his body. Undeveloped upper body. Will have some trouble dealing with physical rigors of the NBA. Narrow torso. Coat hanger type shoulders that allow him to have a good vertical extension even though he has an average wing span. Narrow hips and a small waist. Finesse player. Foot quickness and defensive anticipation are special qualities. Good energy on the floor. Gives great effort--will hit the floor for loose balls. Runs so easily--excellent speed. Has to get stronger. Gets pushed around easily. Excellent defensive range. Ability to challenge and block shots is exceptional. Impeccable timing and anticipation. Protects the basket. Makes good defensive choices. Great body control. So aware defensively. Will step up and take the charge. Quick hands. Strips the ball from a guard in transition. Good defensive rebounder--so quick to the ball. Will deliver quick outlet pass. Versatile defender--will be able to cover 3's, 4's and 5's in the NBA. Like him best as a power forward. Reactive qualities. Quick jumping ability. Has a defensive mentality but has made huge strides on the offensive end. Very aggressive on the offensive end. Takes responsibility for team winning. Leadership qualities. Ability to put the ball on the floor and make decisions from the perimeter. Good ball handling skills. Good post feed from the top of the circle. Jump shot off crossover dribble. Quick drop step move. Has a quick first step with a long stride. Has not consistently finished his shots from the wing off the dribble but his ability to penetrate off the dribble will be a nightmare for 4's. Can cause Kukoc type matchup problems. Able to handle the ball in break situations. Handles point position and dishes assist. Will be able to score from pinch post/mid-wing area off the dribble. High release point on face up jump shot. Able to double clutch and get shot up. Aware of defensive presence and adjusts accordingly. Shoots 3 off screen/roll. Nice release--shot had a chance. Free throw stroke is ok. Lacks the strength to establish good low post position but is very effective with his back to the basket because of his quickness, confidence and skills. Low post game needs development. Does not really have a jump hook. Shoots a lot of flip shots in close. Needs to develop more game to go against size. Team going to him 1n the last 5 minutes of the game. Additional year helped him grow as a leader. Like Duncan over him. Would not move anyone of substantial value to attain him. A great talent who should go 1 or 2 in this draft. Missed 4 games as a result of fainting before the St. Bonaventure game on Jan. 14. Gutted out the last part of this game. Slightly sprained his ankle. Like his toughness. SEASON STATS: 16 g, 30 min, 50% FG, 72% FT, 1.4 off & 7.2 reb, 1.8 a, 2.1 TO, 4.1 blk, 20.6 pts.

vs. George Washington - 2/24/96 - Subpar game for him. Worked on his face up game in warmups. Spent little if any time on his low post game. Quickness is such an asset for him. Great feet. Has small forward skills on the offensive end. Loves to take big men off the dribble from the wing. Quick jumper and good finisher. Able to step off the block and face his man up. Gets to the basket off the dribble and finishes with his left hand. Hits open jumper from the wing in early opportunity situation. Fastbreak situation--his ability to evade defenders and change directions on the move is exceptional. Has great feet. Team is struggling on offense and he wants to put the team on his shoulders. He had a tough shooting/finishing game. Needs to develop a post game--forcing too many shots over Koul. Easy to knock him off balance in the lane. Needs to develop a better base and additional strength. Turnaround jumper goes over the rim. Easy to move him to obtain rebound position but he is still able to rebound in traffic. His ability to close the gap is impressive. Great speed to chase down guard with a clear path to the goal.

TIM DUNCAN

FRESHMAN YEAR:

Goodwill Games Trials - 7/94 {love evaluating college players when trying out for national teams - see the best against the best in practice and game situations} - Long body. Not strong or tough enough at this stage. Lacks upper body strength. Very long reach.  Does not believe in himself yet. Impressed with his rate of development during the trials. Level of aggressiveness has improved. Nimble in the open court. Makes adjustments with the ball in the open court and finishes with right hand hook. Has improved day by day. Can score out of the post. High release point on the shot. Demonstrating ability to score out of the post. Nice right hand jump hook. Plays a soft game on the defensive end. Lacks the fire and competitiveness in responding to the physical nature of Pro/Summer League type game. Good off the ball shot blocker - will block and challenge shots. Needs to learn to keep the ball high off defensive rebounds. Getting jammed off defensive rebounds. Fighting Ceballos in the post. Claiming the balls in traffic. Starting to keep the ball high.

SOPHOMORE YEAR:

vs. Florida State - 1/7/95 -  Very young. Birthday is 4/25/76. Upside is tremendously high. Improves every time I see him play. Very long player. Big 6'10". Like him as a power forward. Finesse player but has an intimidating presence. He's a very tall 6'10". Like his skill level. Big and good hands. Plays high and big on the defensive end. Footwork is good at this stage of his development. Soft touch around the basket. Will be a dominant player on the offensive end when he gets stronger. Nice hook shot--flows into it nicely. Reach enables him to finish around the rim. Jump hook and drop step moves allow him to counter the defense. Shoots a little cross handed, but he is a good free throw shooter. Has the ability to hit mid range jump shots. Protector on the defensive end. Shot blocking instincts and abilities. Does not leave his feet. Lacks structural strength. Easy to bump him off balance or push him back. Good effort on the defensive boards. Reactive qualities. Good repeat jumper. Able to rebound around the rim. Good pursuit of the ball off defensive boards. Gets tough rebounds. Reach is such an asset--stays with the play. Plays defense with poise. Has chilled Sura and Florida state's game in the middle. Defensive force--has presence in the lane.

vs. UVA - 2/26/95 -  Plays through everything. Gets knocked down on rebound attempt. Did not sulk and ran down the court hard to eventually claim rebound. Good speed running the floor. Excellent, big hands--catches one hand pass off B.O.B. and claims traffic rebounds. Consistently around the ball. Rebounding and
shot blocking instincts. Like his temperament. Level headed, focused, and poised. Structural strength is average. Can be bumped. Not explosive hut has quick feet and reactive qualities. Has defensive presence in the lane. Accomplishes a lot with extension, timing and poise. Able to keep the ball in play when he blocks shots. Will be so tough when he matures physically. Moves feet well in the post. Outmuscled to the ball on key defensive rebound. Claims blg traffic rebound with :07 left in the game. Very good rebounder because of hands, reach and positioning. Good two-handed rebounder. Gets underneath rebound and goes up strong--does not unnecessarily extend himself when rebounding. Works for good position. Footwork not in synch on drop step move. Needs to develop a stronger base and improve balance when he comes to a stop before releasing the ball. Needs to utilize height better and be stronger with the ball. Leans into the defender off his pivots. Shot is susceptible to being altered against bigger foes. Able to hit mid-range jumper on third cutter type of action. Hits 18' shot off catch and extends to 3-pt. line and hits jump shot from the top of the key. Potential to have a nice inside/outside game. Needs strength to finish at next level. Good ball handling skills. Can handle ball at pinch post area. Executes dribble weave action with ease, reads the play and kicks to weakside wing. Able to put the ball on the floor. Good at chasing down own misses and consistently keeps the ball high. Hear rumors that he is considering coming out, but he can benefit from another year. Potentially a better prospect than Rasheed Wallace and Joe Smith given his youth, mentality, skill level and rate of development. SEASON STATS: 36g, 60% FG, 79% FT, 50% (2-4) 3-pt., 15.7 pts, 12.1 reb, 2.4 a, 3.0 TO, 4.3 b.s.

JUNIOR YEAR:

vs. N.C. State - 1/31/96 - Would be my #1 pick if he declared for the 1996 draft. Has really improved his strength. Surprisingly strong. Good structural strength. Fuller has had trouble denying him position. Holds the block in the low post and does a good job of moving Fuller out of the post. Good body--broad shoulders. Reach is such an asset. Excels at keeping ball alive on long rebounds. Great hands--catches/claims everything. Knows how to play on the offensive end. High basketball intelligence. Excellent vision and concept of the game. Rebounds at both ends--excellent traffic rebounder. Good at chasing down his own missed shots. Gets a lot of rebound tips. Love his temperament. Some critics say he lacks a mean streak. It may be true, but I think the competitive fire is deeply imbedded in his soul. So impressed with his rate of development--makes strides every time I see him play. His upside is so high. Head and shoulders above Fuller--big 6'10". Will be able to play center and power forward. Exceptional offensive skills--can play with back to the basket as well as on the perimeter. Low post game has really improved. Can run an offense through him. Will take it into the lane. Has a power go to move that will enable him to get to the line. Career 74% FT shooter entering his junior year. Has struggled somewhat this year (69%). Missed 2 critical one and one attempts in the last 30 seconds of this game. Wake was lucky to win. Has a right and left hand jump hook. Starting to set up on the right block, but he is not tied to either block. Excellent ball handling skills--plays with poise and has a tremendous presence on the floor. Handling double-team with ease. Recognizes the defense and delivers excellent passes to cutters and perimeter shooters. Makes excellent decisions. Footwork and balance have improved. Took Fuller anytime he wanted to--back down moves, step through moves and up and under moves. Comfortable at the high post. Can hit mid-range shot and averages 1 3-pt. shot per game(37.5%). Has go to moves--team made a concerted effort to get him a lot of touches. Level of aggressiveness was very good. Team had forgotten about him in previous loss against UNC. Good pursuit of offensive rebounds--works to get in position. Will outquick most big men to the ball. Has the ability to put the ball on the floor. Excellent defensive rebounder. Great hands and long reach allow him to claim long rebounds. Reacts and pursues ball on defensive end. Tips a lot of rebounds to himself. Defensive anchor. Anticipates well and protects the lane. Shot blocking abilities. Strong with the ball after a rebound. Hear rumors that he is considering playing another year at Wake. Really enjoys college life and promised his mother before she died that he would complete his education. Would seriously consider trading Pippen for his draft rights. SEASON STATS: 16g, 37 min, 58% FG, 69%FT, 38% 3 pt., 11.9R, 3.2TO, 2.8A, 4.1 Blk
Link

Originally Posted by Caerus

Relax, T-Rob is going to be a problem in the L. 3rd best player behind Davis & MGK imo.

Doron Lamb def. played himself into the first round. He needs to play on a team like the Bulls man.

Teague
pimp.gif
improved better than any player this season as the year progressed. First round?

agreed.

yea, teague will probably go in the middle of the 1st round

Hey I can't shoot or take three dribbles without turning the ball over but I'm declaring for the NBA draft.

Tony Wroten Jr. has declared.

You dummy Wroten.
30t6p3b.gif
Yes, I'm salty. UW is doomed. Wroten could have used another year in college much more than Ross.

Originally Posted by 651akathePaul

You dummy Wroten.
30t6p3b.gif
Yes, I'm salty. UW is doomed. Wroten could have used another year in college much more than Ross.

Word. I was hoping both would stay in school.

Anthony Davis is Marcus Camby and I think their careers will be eerily similar.

Cal this morning said he thinks Davis is a 3/4 at the next level.  He can't possibly be a SF.  4 I get, but a SF? 
ohwell.gif

He's already goin #1 Cal, relax with the extra hype dude. 
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Hey I can't shoot or take three dribbles without turning the ball over but I'm declaring for the NBA draft.

Tony Wroten Jr. has declared.

Yet he's still projected to be a 1st rounder. Weak !+% PG draft he is smart to leave.

Originally Posted by CP1708

Cal this morning said he thinks Davis is a 3/4 at the next level.  He can't possibly be a SF.  4 I get, but a SF? 
ohwell.gif

He's already goin #1 Cal, relax with the extra hype dude. 
laugh.gif

People said the same thing about KG, getting way too gassed up.

Everybody these days wants to move down a spot, now a days it's an insult if you call somebody a true center, in like 5 years every 6'9 and up kid will be jacking up one legged fade aways.
laugh.gif

Back
Top Bottom