Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

How do ya'll feel about Doron Lamb?

That jumper is automatic & he's had some opportunities to play w/ the ball esp when Teague struggled earlier in the season. Want to see what he measures out at. That's the biggest key. If he's 6'2/6'3 w/ shoes on, he'll fall b/c he doesn't keep the ball on a string or have the athleticism like Ben Gordon did.

Top incoming freshmen prospects
March, 28, 2012
Mar 28
9:37
AM ET

Email
Print
Comments15

By Chad Ford
Nerlens NoelJ.Anthony Roberts/ESPNHS.comNerlens Noel leads the top 10 potential prospects in the 2012 high school class.

March Madness has been the primary stage for NBA draft prospects the past couple of weeks. But with games on hiatus until Saturday, a huge contingent of NBA scouts and GMs traveled to Chicago this week to attend the practices for the McDonald's All-American Game.

In the coming weeks, the Nike Hoop Summit and the Jordan Brand Classic will also feature the top high school players in the country.

This week I spoke with a number of NBA scouts, along with our own recruiting guru, Dave Telep, about which players from the high school Class of 2012 might be NBA players someday.

The consensus from scouts is that this class isn't particularly strong -- especially at the point guard position. ESPNU doesn't have one point guard ranked in its top 20.

Overall, scouts say that three or four players are serious one-and-done candidates and another five or six are potential NBA players down the road.

Here's a sneak peek at the top 10 high school NBA prospects in the country and the all-star events in which they'll participate.

1. Nerlens Noel, F/C, Uncommitted
Jordan, Hoop Summit

Scouts are hoping that Noel is Anthony Davis 2.0. Both are super-long, explosive athletes who are absolute menaces in the paint. Some scouts feel that Noel may be an even better shot-blocker than Davis, but Noel is even rawer on the offensive end. Right now he is a potential No. 1 pick in the 2013 NBA draft. It looks like Noel has narrowed his schools down to Kentucky, Syracuse and Georgetown.

2. Shabazz Muhammad, SF, Uncommitted
McDonald's, Jordan, Hoop Summit

Muhammad is a super-athletic scoring machine who gets to the paint at will with NBA-level strength and explosive leaping ability. He plays hard on every possession on both ends of the floor. His outside shot has improved but can still use work. A number of scouts believe he could be the next Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. He's a likely top-three pick in the 2013 NBA draft. According to Telep, Muhammad has narrowed his school choices to UCLA, Kentucky and Duke (with Kansas and UNLV still in the running).

3. Steven Adams, C, Pittsburgh
Jordan

Adams came over from New Zealand midseason to play for Notre Dame Prep. If he can get eligible, he's set to play for Pittsburgh in the fall. He has the size, athleticism and toughness to be a dominant player in the paint. A few scouts say that he reminds them a bit of Greg Oden back in his high school days. If Adams has a breakout season as a freshman, he's a potential top-10 pick in the 2013 NBA draft.

4. Isaiah Austin, F/C, Baylor
McDonald's, Jordan

Austin is one of the most unique players in this class. He's a 7-footer who wants to play like a guard. Baylor sure knows how to get these guys, huh? After Perry Jones III and Quincy Miller, you'd think coach Scott Drew might get a more traditional big guy, but Austin seems to bring more on the defensive end. He's looked very good in the McDonald's practice, showing a willingness to play defense in the middle. As far as his offensive game goes, he can score both inside and outside. A potential lottery pick if he plays well as a freshman.

5. Anthony Bennett, F, Uncommitted

After those first four, the obvious NBA talent starts to drop off considerably. Bennett has an NBA body, is a beast on the boards and can score from everywhere on the floor, but his tweener status (he has the body of a power forward and the height of a small forward) may limit his ceiling somewhat. He's a potential mid- to late-first-round pick. Schools in the mix are Florida, Kentucky, Washington, Oregon and UNLV.

6. Kyle Anderson, SF, UCLA

Anderson is one of those super-skilled point forwards who can make everyone around him better. He's an excellent passer and can have a lethal midrange game. His lack of elite athletic ability and his streakiness from beyond the arc are the main things holding him back right now. He's also a potential mid- to late-first-round pick.

7. Kaleb Tarczewski, C, Arizona
Jordan, Hoop Summit

Tarczewski has the size and athletic ability to be a pro someday. He is an excellent athlete for his size, runs the floor well and is a good rebounder. He needs to add strength and refine his offensive game. Most likely he's not a one-and-done prospect.

8. Grant Jerrett, PF, Arizona
McDonald's, Jordan

Jerrett has been a bit of a late bloomer and has been shooting up the rankings this year. Jerrett is a stretch 4 who can spread the floor and score in the paint. He may not burst onto the scene immediately, but some scouts say he'll be the Wildcats' best player.

9. Cameron Ridley, F/C, Texas
McDonald's

Ridley struggled a bit in McDonald's practices, but he's one of the few true big men in the class. He's mostly an upside player right now, and scouts may have to temper expectations for the time being. But given his size and skill level, he's got a chance down the road.

10. Gary Harris, SG, Michigan State

Marcus Smart, SG, Oklahoma State
McDonald's

Scouts seem pretty evenly divided between Harris and Smart. Both are strong, athletic, undersized 2-guards who muscle their way to the basket and play physical defense. Neither player is much of a shooter. What could -- slightly -- set Harris apart is the belief, among some scouts, that he might be able to play point guard at the next level. Neither player is likely to make the jump after just one year of school, but both Harris and Smart are highly regarded among scouts.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Originally Posted by 8PM at MSG

How do ya'll feel about Doron Lamb?

That jumper is automatic & he's had some opportunities to play w/ the ball esp when Teague struggled earlier in the season. Want to see what he measures out at. That's the biggest key. If he's 6'2/6'3 w/ shoes on, he'll fall b/c he doesn't keep the ball on a string or have the athleticism like Ben Gordon did.
Agreed. Based on what I've seen he should be a late first round type of guy but his physical profile, aside from what looks to be a good wingspan, might hold him back. If the Knicks had a draft pick he'd be one of the guys I would focus on. He'd do a good job playing off of the others who draw plenty of attention on offense and with J.R. leaving he'd take his place as the bench scorer.

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

Originally Posted by dreClark

Originally Posted by venom lyrix

interesting mock draft by Ford.

my boy Harkless going 27? Being told he's projected 15-25.

If he goes 27, the choice to go into the draft wouldn't be a good one
Please explain.

Aside from the fact that he would no longer be in a SJU uni
Next years draft is very weak. Another year to progress, his stock and rise to much higher than 27. He has crazy potential - play another year in college and improve, it's a win win
But my point is that there is no large difference between 25 and 27.

And yes, he could go higher next year. But he has the chance to get his family out of Southside this year. So I simply say, best of luck to the dude.

I still don't think understand the NBA still not understanding that many successful power forwards are less than 6'8 with no shoes, Blake, David West, Kevin Love, Carlos Boozer, Paul Milsapp, Dujaun Blair.

Anthony Bennett is going in the lottery, especially if he goes to a college that makes a Face up 4 instead of having him play 3,, high motor, dead eye three point shooter, super long arms and high shoulders, I think you can book that in.

It's the evolution of the game, the days of the 6'11 PF like Dirk, Pau and Bosh are dying.

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

I still don't think understand the NBA still not understanding that many successful power forwards are less than 6'8 with no shoes, Blake, David West, Kevin Love, Carlos Boozer, Paul Milsapp, Dujaun Blair.

Anthony Bennett is going in the lottery, especially if he goes to a college that makes a Face up 4 instead of having him play 3,, high motor, dead eye three point shooter, super long arms and high shoulders, I think you can book that in.

It's the evolution of the game, the days of the 6'11 PF like Dirk, Pau and Bosh are dying.
Yeah, makes sense. Plus if a guy is 6'10/6'11 most NBA teams force him to play center because there's only a handful of real centers left.

Going to be really honest here.

I didn't really watch Barnes that much w/o Kendall playing with him, so I might be offbasis with this.

However, his assist numbers seem to be higher when he was playing w/ Drew in his freshman year. Am I pulling at straws here or is that true? Because in the Ohio/Kansas games, it looked like he was trying to help get post touches for Zeller and Henson.

Originally Posted by DaComeUP

Harkless would probably improve his stock from being a guy that can go anywhere from 15 to the end of the 1st, to a guy that could go late in the lottery at best. Is it really worth the risk?

from low 20's to late lottery? I think it's certainly worth the risk. He benefits himself by getting better in college, AND playing with a much better and deeper team along with JaKarr Sampson. Only thing you have to hope for is no injury obviously. I think the reward is greater than the risk in this case.

Originally Posted by The Wizard

Going to be really honest here.

I didn't really watch Barnes that much w/o Kendall playing with him, so I might be offbasis with this.

However, his assist numbers seem to be higher when he was playing w/ Drew in his freshman year. Am I pulling at straws here or is that true? Because in the Ohio/Kansas games, it looked like he was trying to help get post touches for Zeller and Henson.
Good point. I think the one thing is that Kendall controlled the ball more than Drew did.

As expected and Js posted, Marshall/Barnes/Henson trio all in. Probably all legitimate top-16 prospects.

McAdoo's return to school would be beneficial for PJ3, Drummond, and other top PF/C. Let's see if "MKG" and Cody Zeller follow suit in the near future.

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

As expected and Js posted, Marshall/Barnes/Henson trio all in. Probably all legitimate top-16 prospects.

McAdoo's return to school would be beneficial for PJ3, Drummond, and other top PF/C. Let's see if "MKG" and Cody Zeller follow suit in the near future.
Why would it be beneficial to PJ3 and Drummond?  They're both going ahead of him anyways based off of untapped potential alone.

And you better believe Cal is telling MKG to go.  He's a top 5 pick guaranteed.  No way he doesn't get pushed out the door.

Originally Posted by Ricardo Malta

Originally Posted by ChampCruThik

Why would it be beneficial to PJ3 and Drummond?  They're both going ahead of him anyways based off of untapped potential alone.

And you better believe Cal is telling MKG to go.  He's a top 5 pick guaranteed.  No way he doesn't get pushed out the door.

I'll go even further and say "MKG" is a top-3 lock. I have him #2 on my big board and think he might/should go right before Thomas Robinson.

Drummond, maybe. PJ3, no. Most draft analysts and maybe even NBA scouts would take both McAdoo and Cody Zeller over PJ3. Not saying I necessarily share that exact sentiment, but it's a fact. I also don't see the immense hype with Drummond. Yes, he's a physical specimen out of the Dwight Howard mold, but I've seen top-5 and that's too high for me any way you cut it.

Yea, no matter what he says, I have a hard time believing MKG staying in school next year. If he did though I might cry.

Cody is is staying though, he's made that pretty clear. He wants to stay another year, his family doesn't need the money especially since Tyler is a lotto pick this year. He can stay in Bloomington, add muscle and be a NPOY candidate next year on a potential title team. He's not passing that up.

I also wouldn't be surprised if Drummond stays one more year even though it seems like Storrs is a mess right now. I would think if he were really gung-ho about the NBA he would have already entered the draft. I think he always planned to enter the 2013 draft and I think even he realizes he needs another year to develop any sort of thing that resembles a game.

Has Uconn ever developed what Drummond needs (post moves/footwork)? No reason to stay. I'm not sure if they tried to re-work his release or not but that never showed either, and that needs to be adjusted ASAP.

BJ Young in w/o agent. For my money he's the most talented guard out there - Beal included. He'll typecasted as a scoring combo. But he can play PG.

Originally Posted by cleansneaksonly21

Rivers wants to be a Celt... unless they start playing with 2 balls he and Rondo can't coexist

if rivers wants his son a celtic, he would have to trade up, i dont see rivers being there when they draft.

Back
Top Bottom