Official 2012 NBA Draft Thread

Barnes
bfe15f69a6b6fa20a2956815c5e1a03ffcddf92.gif

Like I said before....Barnes will at least be an 18-20ppg scorer in this league. And he can do it on a good team.

Originally Posted by CJ003

Originally Posted by Carver

Minnesota need to draft Terrance Jones, don't know if he slips to 18, though. We need fill that much need 2 spot on our squad.. if we can get him, I see playoffs in this upcoming season
pimp.gif

Terrance Jones as your 2-guard....I see you don't watch basketball too much huh?
Wes Johnson, Derrick Williams and Martell Webster would like to speak to you at the 3 spot

Originally Posted by JapanAir21

I think overall the combine can be a tricky assessment of talent. It just boosted up the stock for guys like Austin Rivers, but take a look at Kevin Durant's combine #s.

He couldn't bench 185 once. 33.5'' vert, while Oden had 34". Standing vertical of 26" compared to 32" for Oden. He was also very unimpressive in all his sprints, one of which Oden also performed better than him.

And how'd that turn out for the Sonics?
The combine is only useful for the measurements. The athletic testing is absolutely useless. You can see if a player is strong or fast or can jump high. The numbers don't mean much. Harrison Barnes probably tested out the best and when you watch him on the court, he's clearly an average athlete. Durant tested out horribly. Rudy Gay didn't test out great. Mayo tested out great. I don't know the reason but you can see who's athletic by watching game film, these tests don't mean anything.

Originally Posted by Chuck Finster

Those numbers mean nothing for Barnes. Kid is barely physical at all.

Same thing a few years back with Henderson and Ellington. Their whole careers Gerald was the athlete and Ellington was the shooter. At the combine Ellington tested out as the better athlete, but he clearly doesn't play like it.

Hmmmm. 1) Barnes is way better than both of those players.2) Why would anyone ever judge anything on the combine or workouts in general? It's all a bunch of hogwash, I'm basing off of what I've seen during the season. Barnes settled in part because he had two top tier front court players clogging up the lane. Best scorer out of unc since Vince. Book it.

Minnesota need to draft Terrance Jones, don't know if he slips to 18, though. We need fill that much need 2 spot on our squad.. if we can get him, I see playoffs in this upcoming season
pimp.gif

Terrance Jones as your 2-guard....I see you don't watch basketball too much huh?
Has to be talking about Terrence Ross
laugh.gif
 who would be a good fit on Minny. 

pimp.gif
Terrance Ross, my bad.. Terrance Ross.. I see playoffs this upcoming season 
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by DoItAllPaul

i see dion waiters has being a player like russell westbrook...i think dion has IT.

did you just compare waiters to russell ?

Barnes athleticism is irrelevant, he doesn't have scoring instincts or ball handling abilities to get by any competent defender and score efficiently, hes an overrated shooter who relies far to much on contested mid range jumpers. He's a third option on a championship team. Low ceiling, high floor.

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

I know his height and wingspan might make it deceptive, but I feel like there's no way I can jump higher than John Henson.

And he didn't run? Guessing there is some kind of injury there.

last week he sprained his ankle

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

Barnes athleticism is irrelevant, he doesn't have scoring instincts or ball handling abilities to get by any competent defender and score efficiently, hes an overrated shooter who relies far to much on contested mid range jumpers. He's a third option on a championship team. Low ceiling, high floor.

laugh.gif
ok

Originally Posted by Osh Kosh Bosh

So at best he's Manu, Harden, Ray Allen or Bosh?

[table][tr][th=""]PICK[/th][th=""]TEAM[/th][th=""]PLAYER[/th][th=""]VITALS[/th][/tr][tr][td]
1.gif
[/td][td]
nor.gif

New Orleans
[/td][td]
sn_i_davisa_65.jpg

Anthony Davis
[/td][td]Position: PF
Height: 6-foot-11
Weight: 222 pounds
School: Kentucky[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: How hot of a commodity is Davis? As I wrote on Monday, sources said the Cavs offered the Hornets picks 4, 24, 32 and 33 for the No. 1 pick -- a deal the Hornets quickly and firmly declined. Davis is the one player in this draft that a team can immediately build around, so you can expect the Hornets to continue to receive and decline great offers.

[table][tr][th=""]PICK[/th][th=""]TEAM[/th][th=""]PLAYER[/th][th=""]VITALS[/th][/tr][tr][td]
2.gif
[/td][td]
cha.gif

Charlotte
[/td][td]
ncb_u_robinson_gb1_65.jpg

Thomas Robinson
Height: 6-foot-9
Weight: 244 pounds
School: Kansas[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Bobcats are actively talking to teams about trading the No. 2 pick. Why? Not only is there no franchise player at No. 2, but I'm told there's a bit of a split right now in Charlotte between taking Robinson or Michael Kidd-Gilchrist. Sources say Michael Jordan isn't sold on building around the limited offensive arsenal of Kidd-Gilchrist, but the team also has questions about how high Robinson's ceiling is.

I think MKG is the second best prospect in the class, but it's very close between him, Robinson and Bradley Beal. If the Bobcats keep the pick and take Robinson, they'd be getting a super-athletic, physical 4 who should be an instant upgrade over Tyrus Thomas and D.J. White.

3.gif
[/td][td]
was.gif

Washington
[/td][td]
ncb_u_gilchrist_gb1_65.jpg

Michael Kidd-Gilchrist
[/td][td]Position: SF
Height: 6-foot-8
Weight: 233 pounds
Analysis: The Wizards are happy at the No. 3 spot and I continue to hear it will come down to Kidd-Gilchrist or Beal. In this mock, both players are still on the board, so the choice is difficult.

Kidd-Gilchrist would give the Wizards some much-needed toughness and defense at the 3, albeit with a less advanced offensive game. Meanwhile, Beal would give them a dominant 2-guard, who can shoot the basketball, to pair with John Wall. I'm still not sure which way they'll go, but either player would be a very good addition to their roster.

4.gif
[/td][td]
cle.gif

Cleveland
[/td][td]
19658.jpg

Bradley Beal
[/td][td]Position: SG
Height: 6-foot-5
Weight: 202 pounds
School: Florida[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Cavs need a wing and like MKG, Beal and Harrison Barnes. Andre Drummond is also in the mix, but the Cavs don't yet have a comfort level with him. If this comes down to Beal or Barnes, I think Beal will have the slight edge here. But it's not a given. The Cavs have been interested in Barnes for the past year and could decide that his size is what they need.

5.gif
[/td][td]
sac.gif

Sacramento
[/td][td]
19721.jpg

Andre Drummond
[/td][td]Position: C
Height: 7-foot-0
Weight: 279 pounds
School: UConn[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: Drummond measured out very close to DeMarcus Cousins last weekend at the draft combine. If the Kings draft him, they would suddenly have a massive front line, adding Drummond's athleticism, rebounding and shot-blocking to Cousins' polished offensive game.

The Kings have not shied away in recent years from prioritizing talent over players with question marks; Drummond, who has a questionable motor, has such a high upside, I'm not sure they pass here, either. If they do, however, it's because they fell in love with UNC's John Henson and feel he's more mature and willing to blend.

6.gif
[/td][td]
por.gif

Portland (via Nets)
[/td][td]
19747.jpg

Damian Lillard
[/td][td]Position: PG
Height: 6-foot-3
Weight: 189 pounds
School: Weber State[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: If Drummond falls here, I think they take him. But if he doesn't, I'm hearing Lillard could be the man. He wowed at the draft combine and measured very similar in size and athletic ability to Derrick Rose. While Lillard isn't nearly the same prospect as Rose, the Blazers need a point guard and Lillard has the potential to be very, very good. Taking him at No. 6 is no longer a reach. Harrison Barnes and Jeremy Lamb would also be in the mix here.

7.gif
[/td][td]
gsw.gif

Golden State
[/td][td]
19461.jpg

Harrison Barnes
Weight: 228 pounds
School: North Carolina[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: I think both the Warriors and Barnes' camp, who want Barnes to go to a big market and an up-and-coming team, would do backflips if he slides this far. The team desperately wants to get a great small forward out of this draft and there's a pretty big drop-off after Barnes.

The Warriors worked out both Terrence Jones and Perry Jones on Monday, but weren't blown away with either player. Both are really 4s trying to pass themselves off as 3s. Jared Sullinger is also in the mix here and I'm hearing Moe Harkless is a potential dark horse for this spot, as well.

8.gif
[/td][td]
tor.gif

Toronto
[/td][td]
19577.jpg

Dion Waiters
Height: 6-foot-4
Weight: 221 pounds
School: Syracuse[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Raptors adamantly denied they were the team that persuaded Waiters to drop out of the combine with a promise to draft him in the lottery. Given the team's attempts to trade the pick, I sort of believe them. But that won't stop them from drafting Waiters if they keep the pick and he's still on the board.

The Raptors have a roster full of soft jump-shooters. What they really need is a tough player who can get to the basket and get his own shot at the end of games. Someone like Waiters. Damian Lillard and Jeremy Lamb are also possibilities at No. 8.

9.gif
[/td][td]
det.gif

Detroit
[/td][td]
19381.jpg

John Henson
Height: 6-foot-10
Weight: 216 pounds
Analysis: Greg Monroe has been a revelation in the middle for the Pistons, but they really need to pair him alongside an athletic shot-blocker. Although Henson is painfully thin, he rebounds, blocks shots and defends multiple positions.

It wouldn't be a perfect solution in Detroit, but the Pistons don't have a lot of other options here unless they want to reach a bit for Meyers Leonard who, after his stellar showing at the draft combine, might be worth it.

10.gif
[/td][td]
nor.gif

New Orleans
(via Wolves)
[/td][td]
ncb_u_sullinger_65.jpg

Jared Sullinger
Weight: 268 pounds
School: Ohio State[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: We've been assuming the Hornets would try to fill their hole at point guard here with a player like Damian Lillard or Kendall Marshall. They may. But the buzz has been around Jared Sullinger's name here. I could see why the Hornets would think that Davis and Sullinger would be an ideal pairing together. They complete each other.

I do, however, wonder whether Sullinger's weak results in the athletic testing portion of the draft combine might change their mind. Sully may be the worst athlete in the draft.

11.gif
[/td][td]
por.gif

Portland
[/td][td]
19660.jpg

Jeremy Lamb
Weight: 179 pounds
School: UConn[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: If the Blazers get Lillard at No. 6, they'll be tempted to reach for a big like Leonard. However, this might also be a great opportunity to fill out their backcourt with another guard.

Lamb has great length for his position, is a smooth athlete and, combined with Lillard, would give the Blazers a powerful scoring punch. Don't count out Austin Rivers and Dion Waiters here, either; I hear Portland's new GM, Neil Olshey, is a fan of both.

12.gif
[/td][td]
mil.gif

Milwaukee
[/td][td]
19727.jpg

Meyers Leonard
Height: 7-foot-1
Weight: 250 pounds
School: Illinois[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Bucks gambled a few years ago on Brandon Jennings and it paid off big time. At this point in the draft, Leonard is risky but could have huge upside. The Bucks really need a center after trading Andrew Bogut to the Warriors at the trade deadline. Leonard is a work in progress, but has the size and athletic ability to be a dominant big man down the road.

13.gif
[/td][td]
pho.gif

Phoenix
[/td][td]
19653.jpg

Austin Rivers
Weight: 203 pounds
School: Duke[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The rumor du jour in Chicago was that the Suns had promised to select Dion Waiters at No. 13. However, if it's true, a promise doesn't guarantee that he'll be there when they're drafting. If he's already off the board, it could come down to Austin Rivers or Terrence Ross.

Rivers didn't play a minute at the combine, but I was told by multiple NBA GMs that he really was impressive in interviews and lessened fears that he could be uncoachable. Ross played and played well, but doesn't have quite the star power that Rivers brings to the table. It could be a tough call, but I hear Phoenix is leaning Rivers' way.

14.gif
[/td][td]
hou.gif

Houston
[/td][td]
ncb_u_zeller_sy_65.jpg

Tyler Zeller
Height: 7-foot
Weight: 247 pounds
Analysis: The Rockets' biggest need is in the middle and Zeller should be a solid option. Scouts don't think Zeller is going to be an All-Star someday, but he's big, he runs the floor very well and he has a great touch around the basket. Meyers Leonard has now passed him on our Big Board, but Zeller should ultimately land somewhere between Picks 8 and 14.

15.gif
[/td][td]
phi.gif

Philadelphia
[/td][td]
19555.jpg

Terrence Jones
Weight: 252 pounds
Analysis: The Sixers might have a tough choice here between Jones, Terrence Ross and Arnett Moultrie. They need size, but also shooting. Jones may be the compromise. He measured out very well for a power forward at the combine, has an NBA body and proved to be a solid rebounder and shot-blocker in college. He has tremendous upside if he puts his heart into it.

Ross, meanwhile, would give the Sixers the starting-caliber sniper that they've long lacked, while Moultrie is a long, bouncy, athletic big man who could stretch the floor for them.

16.gif
[/td][td]
hou.gif

Houston (via Knicks)
[/td][td]
19780.jpg

Moe Harkless
Weight: 207 pounds
School: St. John's[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: We have the Rockets going safe at No. 14, so I think they can afford to gamble a little at No. 16. Harkless was another high riser at the draft combine. He is a great athlete, has toughness and has tremendous upside.

The Rockets have generally played it safe in the draft the past few years. The upside is that they've gotten solid players. The downside is that they haven't necessarily gotten any elite talent. Harkless could be that guy. Moultrie is another real option for them here.

17.gif
[/td][td]
dal.gif

Dallas
[/td][td]
19572.jpg

Kendall Marshall
Weight: 198 pounds
Analysis: With Jason Kidd 39 and a free agent and Rodrigue Beaubois more of a combo guard, Marshall would bring much of what Kidd brings to the table -- incredible court vision and size -- right away. He's not a great athlete or a great shooter, but he could keep Dirk & Co. happy.

18.gif
[/td][td]
min.gif

Wolves (via Jazz)
[/td][td]
19640.jpg

Terrence Ross
Height: 6-foot-7
Weight: 197 pounds
School: Washington[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Timberwolves' biggest need is to put a shooter in the backcourt with Ricky Rubio. Ross is not only a sharpshooter from 3-point land, but he is also a great athlete and has great size for his position. He's a steal at 18.

19.gif
[/td][td]
orl.gif

Orlando
[/td][td]
19543.jpg

Perry Jones III
Weight: 234 pounds
School: Baylor[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: This is a long way for Jones to slip in the draft. Many believe he's a top-five talent, but no one knows what position he'll play in the pros. His situation reminds me a lot of the one Josh Smith was in a few years ago. Jones may find a home in the lottery, but if he doesn't he could slide this far. Given Jones' raw talent, he's definitely worth the risk at this point.

20.gif
[/td][td]
den.gif

Denver
[/td][td]
19464.jpg

Arnett Moultrie
Weight: 223 pounds
School: Mississippi State[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: Moultrie made the head-scratching decision to sit out the draft combine drills. He would've looked great in that setting, but instead saw several players leapfrog him on the draft board. I doubt he slips much past the Nuggets or Celtics, though.

His length, athletic ability and shooting touch should all come in handy in Denver. Kentucky point guard Marquis Teague is also an option here.

21.gif
[/td][td]
bos.gif

Boston
[/td][td]
19486.jpg

Andrew Nicholson
Height: 6-foot-10
Weight: 234 pounds
School: St. Bonaventure[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: Nicholson is another draft sleeper who may really rise with workouts. He's a big stretch 4 who has drawn some comparisons to David West. He would be another welcome addition to the Celtics' summer makeover.

22.gif
[/td][td]
bos.gif

Boston (via Clippers)
[/td][td]
19456.jpg

Royce White
Weight: 261 pounds
School: Iowa State[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: White may have helped himself as much as anyone in the draft last week. His play on the court was solid, but his interviews were stellar. Most of the NBA executives I spoke with felt that they would be comfortable drafting White somewhere outside the lottery. If the Celtics can add Nicholson and White -- two value picks this late in the draft -- the rebuild will be well on its way.

23.gif
[/td][td]
atl.gif

Atlanta
[/td][td]
19694.jpg

Tony Wroten Jr.
Height: 6-foot-6
Weight: 203 pounds
School: Washington[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Hawks have been cursed at the point guard position ever since they decided to pass on Chris Paul to draft Marvin Williams. Wroten is no Paul, but he may have the most raw talent of any point guard in the draft. He's big, he's athletic and he can get to the basket. If his shot wasn't broken, and if he had a better rep as a teammate, he'd be a top-10 pick.

24.gif
[/td][td]
cle.gif

Cavs (via Lakers)
[/td][td]
19563.jpg

Fab Melo
Height: 7-foot
Weight: 255 pounds
School: Syracuse[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Cavs could really use more help at the 5. Anderson Varejao is around for a few more years but after that the cupboard is bare. Melo might need a few years anyway before he's ready to be a serious contributor at the next level.

25.gif
[/td][td]
mem.gif

Memphis
[/td][td]
19672.jpg

Evan Fournier
Weight: 206 pounds
School: France[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: I'm hearing the Grizzlies are looking to stash a player over in Europe this year. Fournier, a scoring wing from France, is the best European prospect on the board.

26.gif
[/td][td]
ind.gif

Indiana

[/td][td]
19655.jpg

Marquis Teague
Height: 6-foot-2
Weight: 180 pounds
Analysis: Teague would've been a top-10 pick had he decided to stay in school. Instead he followed the rest of Kentucky's stars into the draft. He could go as high as the mid-first round but I doubt he slips past the Pacers here. Adding Teague would allow them to use Darren Collison as trade bait this summer.

27.gif
[/td][td]
mia.gif

Miami
[/td][td]
ncb_u_green_65.jpg

Draymond Green
Weight: 236 pounds
School: Michigan State[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: The Heat need players with experience who excel in bringing out the best in their teammates. Green can be a point-forward type who does a little of everything. Think of him as a better-passing Udonis Haslem.

28.gif
[/td][td]
okc.gif

Oklahoma City
[/td][td]
19445.jpg

Jeff Taylor
Weight: 212 pounds
School: Vanderbilt[/td][/tr][/table]
Analysis: An elite athlete, Taylor can be a lockdown defender and has range on his jumper. He's probably undervalued at this point, but that happens to seniors. The Thunder will capitalize.

29.gif
[/td][td]
chi.gif

Chicago
[/td][td]
19629.jpg

John Jenkins
Weight: 212 pounds
Analysis: The Bulls need a shooter and Jenkins has one of the best strokes in the draft. His super-quick release and ability to finish at the basket make him an interesting prospect here.

30.gif
[/td][td]
gsw.gif

Golden State
(via Spurs)
[/td][td]
19447.jpg

Festus Ezeli
Height: 7-foot-0
Weight: 264 pounds
Analysis: If the Warriors can nail down the small forward spot earlier in the draft, don't be surprised if they go big with their second pick. Ezeli has the size and experience to come in and be a solid backup. I'm told Norfolk State's Kyle O'Quinn is also an option here.

Next five in: Quincy Miller, Doron Lamb, Jared Cunningham, Tyshawn Taylor, Kostas Papanikolaou

The first game of the NBA Finals served notice that the http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/MiaMiami Heat versus the http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/OkcOklahoma City Thunder may be one of the most riveting matchups we've seen in years, but looming just on the horizon is the draft. If the Finals go seven games, there will be just a two-day gap between the crowning of the champion and the de facto start of the 2012-13 season, which will begin after the http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/NorNew Orleans Hornets presumably select Anthony Davis No. 1 on June 28. So we have to keep that in mind as we enjoy some tremendous on-court action.

The draft is the most exciting time of the year for fans who love to break down transactions, and the trade buzz that surrounds that day is the most interesting part of the process. That's when we learn how teams view themselves. Are they trying to fill a need that will allow them to take the next step as a franchise, or are they tearing down while building a new foundation? Successful franchises answer those questions correctly.

With that in mind, let's consider three possible pre-draft trades that would be mutually beneficial to the teams involved.

1. The http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/ChiChicago Bulls trade C Joakim Noah and the No. 29 pick to the http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/SacSacramento Kings for G Tyreke Evans and the No. 5 pick.

The Kings are rumored to want another big man to pair with DeMarcus Cousins, and the unselfish, defense-oriented style of Noah would be a perfect on-court fit. The trade works financially because of the amount of cap space the Kings have, so there are no concerns there. The Kings would still have Marcus Thornton to play the 2 while hoping that Isaiah Thomas or, gulp, Jimmer Fredette turns out to be a long-term answer in the backcourt as well. And, who knows, perhaps the big numbers Terrence Williams put up at the end of last season were for real. It wasn't that long ago that he was a lottery pick.

A starting five of Thomas, Thornton, Williams, Noah and Cousins works well in terms of complementary skills. It's a jumping-off point for a group still searching for some kind of concrete identity. Noah would bring heart and soul to Sacramento, or wherever the Kings end up playing long-term. Frankly, those are qualities the Kings have lacked for quite some time.

The swap of picks is important from the Bulls' standpoint, as they would want to add another center to replace Noah, and Connecticut's Andre Drummond would fit in nicely, either as a starter or as a backup to Omer Asik. If Drummond is gone, then Thomas Robinson or, even, Jared Sullinger could be a possibility, or they could opt for Harrison Barnes as the eventual successor to Luol Deng at the 3.

When healthy, Noah is an All-Star type of player, while Evans has regressed during his NBA career, so the Bulls could hold out for the pick swap. The money the Bulls save from dealing Noah would help them keep Asik, a restricted free agent this summer, as well as Taj Gibson, who can become one next year.

Evans could run the point while Derrick Rose recovers from knee surgery, then play alongside him when he comes back. The Bulls desperately need a second shot-creator, and Evans could be that guy. Evans has underachieved defensively in the NBA, but Tom Thibodeau would cure him of that. He has the physical traits of someone that should be an elite defensive guard.

Evans will be a restricted free agent next year, so Chicago would get a season to evaluate him as an extension candidate, which they could pull off by amnestying Carlos Boozer. He's the kind of high-ceiling player that's going to be difficult for Chicago to obtain going forward, so if, as rumored, he's on the market, it's time to pounce.

[+] Enlarge
Joe Murphy/NBAE/Getty ImagesRudy Gay could become the go-to scorer that the Sixers need.

2. The http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/MemMemphis Grizzlies trade F Rudy Gay and the No. 25 pick to the http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/PhiPhiladelphia 76ers for F Andre Iguodala and the No. 15 pick.

Both of these players are rumored to be on the market and this would be a fascinating basketball trade. The Sixers are desperate for a go-to scorer, which Gay would give them. Gay is a better defender than he used to be and any shortcomings he still has on that end would be coached out of him by Doug Collins. If the Sixers amnesty Elton Brand, they'll have the flexibility to add even more to an exciting young core that features Gay, Evan Turner and Jrue Holiday.

Memphis, on the other hand, would have the fiercest defensive wing combo in the league in Iguodala and Tony Allen. They take a hit offensively, but the Grizzlies' attack is built around big men Zach Randolph and Marc Gasol anyway. With Michael Conley controlling the tempo, the Grizzlies could become an even better version of the kind of slug-it-out halfcourt team that would give even the powerful Thunder fits in the West next season.

The trade also would give Memphis some slight financial relief in the short term and more flexibility down the line, as Iguodala has just one year and an early-termination option left on his contract. It's not exactly a cost-slashing move, but that may be less of a factor for Memphis now that the Grizzlies have a new owner. The swap of picks may not be necessary, but Gay is the higher-ceiling player, so giving Memphis the better pick would help mitigate some of that disparity. It would also give Memphis a better shot at finding a bench scorer to replace O.J. Mayo in the draft.

3. http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/MinMinnesota Timberwolves trade F Derrick Williams and the No. 18 pick to the http://espn.go.com/nba/team/_/name/ChaCharlotte Bobcats for the No. 2 pick.

Williams was the second pick of last year's draft and played well in spurts for Minnesota during his rookie season. To become a true foundation player, he's going to have to improve the consistency of his outside shot, as well as his decision-making on offense. There is no question that the raw athletic ability is there for Williams to eventually become an All-Star-caliber player. But can he reach that ceiling in Minnesota?

Williams spent about half of his court time last season playing small forward, which is appropriate in a sense because he's a bit of a tweener. He needs the ball in his hands more, and that's not going to happen regularly playing alongside Ricky Rubio and Kevin Love.

The Timberwolves need a perimeter player who can score consistently from the perimeter, which makes Florida's Bradley Beal an ideal get. Beal is the exact kind of knock-down shooter you want to pair with Rubio on the backcourt. His size would be an issue on the defensive end for some teams, but the Timberwolves have one excellent backcourt defender in Rubio and with a big three of Rubio, Love and Beal, they could go after a rangy defensive specialist and stand-still shooter to play small forward. It's a combination that would put Minnesota a rim protector away from quickly moving up the ladder in the West.

Charlotte, on the other hand, is more or less building from scratch. They are hoping that Kemba Walker and Bismack Biyombo will evolve into legitimate starters, but Williams would give them another piece of the puzzle if he can become the kind of big-time scorer that he's unlikely to be with the Timberwolves.

The question the Bobcats have to answer is this: Is Williams a more desirable building block than Michael Kidd-Gilchrist, or Thomas Robinson, or anyone else not named Anthony Davis? It's a tough call, but Minnesota could also include the No. 18 pick to sweeten the pot. No matter what happens, the Bobcats will be in the running for the top pick again next year anyway, so the more bodies they get, the better.

SI...
2012 NBA Mock Draft 2.0

With the NBA draft combine behind us and the big day only two weeks away, it's time for an updated look at the first-round possibilities. Anthony Davis stays in the top spot, of course, but the rest of the order remains fluid and prospects' ongoing workouts with teams will lead to more changes. For now, though, Thomas Robinson moves up to No. 2, Terrence Jones climbs into the top 10 and Damian Lillard continues to be the only point guard in the lottery. (Note: Heights and weights are from the combine, with fractions rounded up. For the complete list of official measurements, click here.)

1 PF Anthony Davis Kentucky Fr. 6-11 222
Despite the entire free world's being aware that the Hornets will take Davis first, he continued to pretend at the combine in Chicago that his status as the No. 1 pick wasn't "set in stone yet." But barring a trade involving the pick, Davis will be the big man who helps the Hornets rebuild. As if we didn't know that his ridiculous length wasn't a major part of his package, it was formally quantified at the combine, where he measured 6-10½ in shoes with a 7-5½ wingspan. Davis will need to work on his body in his first few seasons, though, as he weighed only 222 pounds.

2 PF Thomas Robinson Kansas Jr. 6-9 244
I reserve the right to flip-flop on this pick all the way to the end, mainly because the Bobcats themselves will likely be doing the same thing. So it is, then, that Kentucky small forward Michael Kidd-Gilchrist loses his Mock 1.0 spot here to the feisty and ferocious Robinson. Beyond the notion that Charlotte might trade its pick, the buzz about the Bobcats is that, despite general manager Rich Cho's considerable influence, it still comes down to which player Michael Jordan falls in love during this process. And while Kidd-Gilchrist is best known for his motor (something Jordan would surely love), the truth is Robinson has quite a motor himself while looking more like a franchise centerpiece-type player. They couldn't be any more different when it comes to bravado, either. Robinson let it be known at the combine that he thinks he should be the No. 1 pick. Kidd-Gilchrist took the aw-shucks approach while saying he simply hopes he gets picked.

3 SF Michael Kidd-Gilchrist Kentucky Fr. 6-8 233
The Wizards' trade of young, maturity-challenged center JaVale McGee to Denver for veteran center Nene in March had as much to do with changing their culture as it did adding to the talent pool. In that regard, Kidd-Gilchrist would be a phenomenal fit. He was a leader of the highest order at Kentucky. His focus on defense would set the right kind of tone for a rebuilding team, and he also has the ability to get to the rim at will.

4 SF Harrison Barnes North Carolina So. 6-8 228
While nothing has changed about the Cavs' love affair with Barnes, things could get very interesting if this scenario wound up playing out on draft night. Florida shooting guard Bradley Beal is also being strongly considered, and it's worth noting that his agent, Mark Bartelstein, has agreed to workouts with only the top four teams so far while denying requests by Sacramento (No. 5), Portland (No. 6) and Golden State (No. 7). Either player would be a quality addition to the young core led by Rookie of the Year Kyrie Irving. Barnes helped himself at the combine. He had a maximum vertical leap of 39½ inches (Marquette's Darius Johnson-Odom had the highest mark at 41.5) and ran the fastest three-quarter court sprint at 3.16 seconds. Cleveland has four of the top 34 selections, and ESPN.com reported that the Hornets rejected Cleveland's offer of the fourth, 24th, 33rd and 34th picks for No. 1.

5 SG Bradley Beal Florida Fr. 6-5 202
This space was initially reserved for North Carolina center Tyler Zeller, in part because he's the kind of proven, reliable talent that the Kings appear to be homing in on but also because I have reason to believe they like him quite a bit as a possible frontcourt partner to franchise centerpiece DeMarcus Cousins. But the Beal appeal was ultimately too strong. Passing on him could wind up being the sort of move that haunts any executive -- in this case Sacramento president Geoff Petrie -- for years to come. But if this is how it shakes out, it will be complicated. As I mentioned, Beal has no current interest in working out for Sacramento and thus might not want to be there. What's more, the Kings have plenty of perimeter scorers -- Marcus Thornton, Tyreke Evans, John Salmons, Jimmer Fredette -- and drafting Beal would likely force them to shuffle the deck in other ways. Other possibilities here, with looming workouts expected to play a part: Kentucky power forward Terrence Jones, Baylor power forward Perry Jones, North Carolina power forward John Henson, Connecticut center Andre Drummond and Weber State point guard Damian Lillard.

6 C Andre Drummond Connecticut Fr. 7-0 279
The Blazers ignore those recurring nightmares about Greg Oden and opt for another big man with huge upside in Drummond. New general manager Neil Olshey won't be able to expect the instant stardom he experienced with the Clippers' Blake Griffin (after missing a season with a knee injury), but Drummond could be a potent partner to franchise cornerstone LaMarcus Aldridge. Drummond's raw skills and body are a major reason for his value, and his measurements at the combine did nothing to change that. He weighed 278 pounds with 7.5 percent body fat, and was 6-11¾ with shoes with an incredible 7-6¼ wingspan. As for the athleticism department, Drummond overstated his own prowess when he told reporters that he jumped about 38 inches. In reality, his jump was just 33½ inches.

7 PF Terrence Jones Kentucky So. 6-10 252
The Terrence Jones buzz has been growing at Golden State, and he's as likely a pick as any if the team actually holds on to it. It doesn't hurt that he's represented by the same agency from which new general manager and former agent Bob Myers hails (the Wasserman Media Group), which was also the case when the team pursued Clippers center DeAndre Jordan as a restricted free agent last summer. But the win-now mode that owners Joe Lacob and Peter Guber have entered after trading for Andrew Bogut means they're looking for veteran small forward help (or, according to the San Francisco Chronicle, to trade up for Kidd-Gilchrist). This Jones or the one he faced off with in a Monday workout (Perry) doesn't appear ready to make that sort of impact right away.

8 PG Damian Lillard Weber State    Jr. 6-3 189
Lillard's rise has been steady, and his decision to participate combine drills paid off after he shined as a shooter and an athlete. The Raptors are seeking scorers to help an offense that ranked 29th in points per possession and could be looking for their next floor general now that incumbent point guard Jose Calderon is entering the final year of his contract (worth $10.6 million). Syracuse shooting guard Dion Waiters is under consideration as well.

9 C Tyler Zeller North Carolina    Sr. 7-1 247
Sacramento isn't the only team contemplating Zeller and Henson as complementary pieces to its emerging center; Detroit is searching for help for Greg Monroe. I'm sticking with Zeller here because he has fewer red flags than Henson (specifically the fact that the latter is rail-thin and not very strong) and a more versatile game that could lead to a long and productive career. Zeller averaged 16.3 points, 9.3 rebounds and 1.5 blocks as a senior while earning the ACC Player of the Year award. Henson won the ACC Defensive Player of the Year award the last two seasons, but he also jumped just 30 inches at the combine and managed only five repetitions on the 185-pound bench press (Marquette forward Jae Crowder had the highest mark at 20 reps).

10 PF Jared Sullinger Ohio State So. 6-9 268
The void at point guard left by Chris Paul would remain unfilled, but this pick would give the Hornets a young, intriguing frontcourt in the offensive-minded Sullinger and defensive-minded Davis. Sullinger is crafty, confident and more than skilled enough to produce at the next level despite the limitations in athleticism and physique. He averaged 17.5 points and 10.2 rebounds as a sophomore, almost identical to his freshman season. Duke shooting guard Austin Rivers, the son of Celtics coach Doc Rivers and a close family friend of Hornets coach Monty Williams', is being seriously considered too. He can play both guard positions and could be a good fit with shooting guard Eric Gordon, a restricted free agent who is expected to be re-signed.

11 SG Dion Waiters Syracuse So.    6-4 221
The supremely confident Waiters is an efficient and versatile scorer who could help replace Jamal Crawford, who is expected to opt out of his contract this summer. He may have passed the likes of UConn's Jeremy Lamb, Rivers and Washington's Terrence Ross in the shooting guard category. Waiters is believed to have a promise from a lottery team, and many suspect that it's Phoenix at No. 13. (Toronto general manager Bryan Colangelo has made it clear he did not give Waiters a promise.) Pass-first North Carolina point guard Kendall Marshall could be in play as well.

12 C Meyers Leonard Illinois So. 7-1 250
Much like Lillard, Leonard was a combine All-Star by most accounts. He measured well (7-1¼ in shoes, with a 7-3 wingspan) and did more than enough to likely keep him in the lottery. After dealing Bogut, the Bucks could certainly use Leonard. He averaged 13.6 points, 8.2 rebounds and 1.9 blocks for Illinois after a freshman season in which he barely played. Zeller and Syracuse center Fab Melo will likely be considered.

13 SG Jeremy Lamb Connecticut So. 6-5 179
While Waiters could be gone before the Suns have a chance to grab him, there is no shortage of talented two-guards from which to choose. Lamb is a smooth and athletic scorer (38-inch vertical) whose 6-11 wingspan gives him serious upside on the defensive end, too. He's jockeying for position here with Ross, whom I had going to Phoenix in Mock 1.0.

14 PF Perry Jones Baylor So. 6-11 234
The Rockets' front office is as calculated as they come. It has a habit of acquiring assets -- otherwise known as players -- that might not fit perfectly now but could come in handy later. But Jones, a top-10-worthy talent who has faced questions about his intensity level and inconsistent play, is both a good fit and a good asset (should the Rockets decide to trade him) if he falls this far. Though he's being billed as a small forward by his representatives, most teams see him as a power forward. He could play behind veteran forward Luis Scola while starting the process that he promises will take place: proving his critics wrong.

15 SG Austin Rivers Duke Fr. 6-5 203
The Sixers are well-equipped in their backcourt with young Jrue Holiday and Evan Turner, but Rivers could fit in nicely with his ability to create his own shot and play both positions. The bigger Ross is the better shooter and athlete of the two, but he doesn't have Rivers' versatility.

16 SG Terrence Ross Washington So. 6-7 197
As I noted when I slotted Lamb here in the first mock draft, veteran shooting guard Kevin Martin has one year left on his contract but is unlikely to return via free agency and reserve shooting guard Courtney Lee is a restricted free agent this summer. Ross, who has deep range, size and athleticism, could turn out to be a great get here.

17 PG Kendall Marshall North Carolina So. 6-4 198
Point guard is an uncertain position for the Mavericks, who have Jason Kidd about to test free agency and are set to chase Deron Williams on the open market. With free agency being settled after the draft, Dallas could use the point guard who is considered the best passer in the bunch by far. "At this next level, they have enough scorers in the NBA," said Marshall, who was second in the nation with 9.8 assists last season. "I'm not going to the NBA to average 20 points a game. I'm there to do what I do best, and that's make other guys better."

18 PF John Henson North Carolina Jr. 6-11 216
Even if Henson fell this far, the fact remains that his defensive impact and ability to contribute in other areas as well make him Anthony Davis-lite in this draft crop. He averaged 2.9 blocks last season and 3.2 in 2010-11, along with improving his scoring (from 11.7 points as a sophomore to 13.7 as a junior) and maintaining his solid rebounding (10.1 as a sophomore, 9.9 as a junior). The Wolves, who are also looking at Iowa State forward Royce White here, would welcome a rim defender like Henson who could spark stops and get out and run with point guard Ricky Rubio.

19 PF Arnett Moultrie Mississippi State    Jr. 6-11 230
Moultrie told reporters in Chicago that he expected to be taken anywhere from No. 7 to No. 17, but he'd be a terrific match with the Magic. The possibility that Dwight Howard could be traded is back in play and Orlando has room for improvement anyway in a frontcourt that includes Ryan Anderson and Glen Davis. Moultrie averaged 16.4 points (on 54.9 percent shooting) and 10.5 rebounds last season.

20 PG Marquis Teague Kentucky Fr. 6-2 180
As good as the point guard combo of Ty Lawson and Andre Miller was for the Nuggets, Miller is a free agent and may not be back. I had Washington point guard Tony Wroten here before, but I'm told that the Nuggets have their eyes on the younger brother of Hawks point guard Jeff Teague. Marquis Teague doesn't have the aggressive scoring mentality of Wroten, but he is a speedy floor leader who would be comfortable playing at Denver's typically fast pace.

21 C Fab Melo Syracuse    So. 7-0 255
At different points in the Celtics' inspired season, they publicly lamented the losses of reserve big men Jermaine O'Neal and Chris Wilcox to injury while also reportedly exploring the possibility of re-signing retired big man Rasheed Wallace. More depth down low, in other words, would be welcome. O'Neal, Wilcox and reserve center Ryan Hollins will be unrestricted free agents (not to mention Kevin Garnett), and reserve center Greg Stiemsma will be a restricted free agent. Melo is an enormous defensive presence who could find a significant reserve role.

22 SF Moe Harkless St. John's Fr. 6-8 208
With Mickael Pietrus heading into free agency, the athletic, versatile Harkless could slide into the backup small forward spot behind Paul Pierce. The Big East Rookie of the Year averaged 15.3 points last season, but he shot just 44.5 percent overall and 20.2 percent from three-point range. His impact elsewhere entices front-office types who watched him average 8.6 rebounds, 1.4 blocks and 1.6 steals. Numerous executives told me he helped his cause at the combine.

23 SG Will Barton Memphis So. 6-6 174
Barton's stock appears to be on the rise, and he'll have his chance to make his case for the Hawks when he works out in Atlanta next Wednesday. He averaged 18 points (on 50.9 percent shooting from the field and 34.6 percent from three-point range), 8.0 rebounds, 2.9 assists and 1.4 steals last season. His accuracy improved greatly from his freshman season, when he shot 42.8 percent overall and 26.5 percent from beyond the arc.

24 PF Andrew Nicholson St. Bonaventure Sr. 6-9 234
Cleveland will lose a big chunk of its frontcourt scoring with free agent forward Antawn Jamison's expected departure. Nicholson could provide some of that and help in other areas, too, after averaging 18.5 points (while adding a three-point shot) 8.4 rebounds and 2.0 blocks in leading St. Bonaventure to the Atlantic 10 championship and its first NCAA tournament appearance in 12 years. He worked out with Melo for Phoenix (No. 13) on Tuesday, according to the Arizona Republic, but is more likely to land in this part of the first round.

25 PG Tony Wroten Washington Fr. 6-6 203
Wroten could creep up into the teens, but he is, in many ways, a classic late first-round pick. The speed, strength and aggressive offensive game are tremendous, but he's been criticized for his decision-making (more turnovers than assists last season) and ability to play under control. He also shot only 16.1 percent from three-point range. If he figures it out, though, he could wind up proving those advocates right who compare him to Oklahoma City's Russell Westbrook. And Memphis added Gilbert Arenas to play behind Mike Conley this season, after all, so this would be worth a shot.

26 SF Royce White Iowa State So. 6-8 261
If the engaging, well-spoken White's media sessions were any indication, then he was successful in discussing what is the most complex personal situation of any prospect. White's anxiety order causes, among other things, a fear of flying that he continues to work through and says wasn't an issue last season. The 21-year-old discovered it when he was 16. "It's not as much of a challenge as people think," he told reporters after his workout with the Pacers. "But it's something I live with every day and have to be conscious of." He is a rare talent, a point-forward type with some guard skills but a guy who can also play the role of scoring and rebounding big man. He struggled shooting on the first day of the combine and was one of only four players who didn't take part in the strength and agility tests -- neither of which helps his stock.

27 PF Draymond Green Michigan State Sr. 6-8 236
Miami is desperate for players beyond its Big Three who can be versatile and provide some offense. Green, who performed well at the combine, would be a good addition in that regard. He averaged 16.2 points, 10.6 rebounds and 3.8 assists as a senior, including 17.7 points, 13.7 rebounds and 6.0 assists in three NCAA tournament games.

28 SF Jeff Taylor Vanderbilt Sr. 6-7 225
Taylor would give the Thunder another potential defensive stopper to go with shooting guard Thabo Sefolosha and get small forward Kevin Durant more backup help. He can score, too. Most of his offense came from attacking the rim in his first three seasons at Vanderbilt, but he started developing three-point range as a junior and made it a weapon as a senior when he shot 42.3 percent from beyond the arc while averaging 16.1 points.

29 SG Evan Fournier Poitiers (France) 6-7 206
With point guard and 2010-11 MVP Derrick Rose sidelined 8-to-12 months after tearing his ACL in the playoffs, and with shooting guard Richard Hamilton showing his age (34) during an injury-filled season, the Bulls could use another scorer in their backcourt. There's no way of telling just yet whether Fournier can be the penetrating, playmaking perimeter threat in the NBA that he has been while playing for France, but he's worth gambling on here.

30 SF Quincy Miller Baylor Fr. 6-10 218
The Warriors wouldn't be relying on Miller to fill their need for a starting small forward, but he has enough talent to make you wonder if he could eventually play that role. Miller, whose torn ACL during his senior season in high school set him back after he was Slam magazine's top prospect of the 2011 class in 2010, said he expects to go anywhere from the late lottery to "the 20s." But he could also fall into the second round.
Link

Originally Posted by Kevin Cleveland

Beal to Sacramento. 
laugh.gif
laugh.gif
I'm pretty sure that's Amick's mock too
I read that the Kings are gonna be passing on Drummond. Pretty sure its safe to say, if Robinson and Barnes are gone at #5 we'll be either drafting, or trading to draft, Henson 
ohwell.gif

I'm still having a hard time getting this Iguodala for Gay trade that people are so fascinated about. It sounds good when you think how great defensively we would be, but I'm not quite getting it from a offensive standpoint. I'm guessing we take an offensive wing at 15 if the trade is made.

Back
Top Bottom