Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

we should pick up gradkowski.

if we drop Alex Smith, we win the division.

if we keep Alex Smith, the Rams win the division.

we should pick up gradkowski.

if we drop Alex Smith, we win the division.

if we keep Alex Smith, the Rams win the division.

If Alex Smith is our QB next year, we will not make the playoffs. If we sign a free agent QB for 1 year, we can experiment. Either he'll play well and be better than Alex, or he'll suck and be just as bad or worse and we end up with a better pick.
laugh.gif

If Alex Smith is our QB next year, we will not make the playoffs. If we sign a free agent QB for 1 year, we can experiment. Either he'll play well and be better than Alex, or he'll suck and be just as bad or worse and we end up with a better pick.
laugh.gif

Originally Posted by 100PROOF

Here's a list of free agent QB's for this year. Who do you want?

Matt Hasselbeck (SEA)

Matt Moore (CAR)

Alex Smith (SF) 

Matt Leinart (HOU)
[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
Other Notable Free Agents:
Marc Bulger (BAL)
Todd Collins (CHI)
Caleb Hanie (CHI)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Trent Edwards (JAC)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Brodie Croyle (KC)
Chad Pennington (MIA)
Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)
Jim Sorgi (NYG)
Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Billy Volek (SD)
Troy Smith (SF)
Kerry Collins (TEN)
Rex Grossman (WAS)

I'm not expecting more then 4-5 wins next season so IF Alex comes back on a 1 year deal its not the end of the world for me.

First of all, I have no idea why Troy Smith's name is crossed off the list.  Last time I checked he managed to win at a much higher percentage in his 1st year as a starter than Alex did in his 6th.  The fact that we hold Troy to this ridiculously high standard that he can be judged off of 5+ games, yet Alex cant be in 6 years is absurd.  I am in no way saying Troy is the answer, but Im not ready to dismiss him off of the list.

And to be honest, I made this comment earlier on this page.  Im not going to sit here and pick apart the free agent list you posted and tell you who I would want.  The bottom line is at least half of that list are names of players I would rather have for one reason or another.

Matt Hasselbeck (SEA)

Matt Moore (CAR)

Alex Smith (SF) 

Matt Leinart (HOU)
[table][tr][td]
[/td][/tr][/table]
Marc Bulger (BAL)
Todd Collins (CHI)
Caleb Hanie (CHI)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Trent Edwards (JAC)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Brodie Croyle (KC)
Chad Pennington (MIA)
Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)
Jim Sorgi (NYG)
Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Billy Volek (SD)
Troy Smith (SF)
Kerry Collins (TEN)
Rex Grossman (WAS)

I'm not expecting more then 4-5 wins next season so IF Alex comes back on a 1 year deal its not the end of the world for me.

First of all, I have no idea why Troy Smith's name is crossed off the list.  Last time I checked he managed to win at a much higher percentage in his 1st year as a starter than Alex did in his 6th.  The fact that we hold Troy to this ridiculously high standard that he can be judged off of 5+ games, yet Alex cant be in 6 years is absurd.  I am in no way saying Troy is the answer, but Im not ready to dismiss him off of the list.

And to be honest, I made this comment earlier on this page.  Im not going to sit here and pick apart the free agent list you posted and tell you who I would want.  The bottom line is at least half of that list are names of players I would rather have for one reason or another.

I don't like Alex but I'd "tolerate" him. I'd rather see him playing on the Rams or Seahawks or Cardinals though.

I don't like Alex but I'd "tolerate" him. I'd rather see him playing on the Rams or Seahawks or Cardinals though.

I mean, I'm not saying Alex is good but that list is 
sick.gif

We're pretty much screwed until FO can find a way to trade for someone, get lucky in the draft, or (sigh) wait until next year's draft.

I mean, I'm not saying Alex is good but that list is 
sick.gif

We're pretty much screwed until FO can find a way to trade for someone, get lucky in the draft, or (sigh) wait until next year's draft.

Originally Posted by dland24

I crossed troy smith's name off because baalke made it clear they didnt want him on the team, either he was waived or told to kick rocks i cant remember but they could've offered him another year and didnt. truth be told I would've like to see him get a real chance to compete for the starting job

Look man, I'm not saying Alex is anything but trash. All I'm trying to get across is the 9ers don't have any good options at QB next season, barring a trade, so if they decide to go w/ the devil they know as opposed to the one they dont for next year only I can suffer thru one more year.

Originally Posted by dland24

I crossed troy smith's name off because baalke made it clear they didnt want him on the team, either he was waived or told to kick rocks i cant remember but they could've offered him another year and didnt. truth be told I would've like to see him get a real chance to compete for the starting job

Look man, I'm not saying Alex is anything but trash. All I'm trying to get across is the 9ers don't have any good options at QB next season, barring a trade, so if they decide to go w/ the devil they know as opposed to the one they dont for next year only I can suffer thru one more year.

all sarcasm aside, does the front office see something in alex smith that we aren't? i just don't get it...

all sarcasm aside, does the front office see something in alex smith that we aren't? i just don't get it...

Matt Hasselbeck (SEA)

Matt Moore (CAR)

Alex Smith (SF) 

Matt Leinart (HOU)
[table][tr][td][/td][/tr][/table]
Marc Bulger (BAL)
Todd Collins (CHI)
Caleb Hanie (CHI)
Brady Quinn (DEN)
Drew Stanton (DET)
Trent Edwards (JAC)
Luke McCown (JAC)
Brodie Croyle (KC)
Chad Pennington (MIA)
Tyler Thigpen (MIA)
Tarvaris Jackson (MIN)
Jim Sorgi (NYG)
Kellen Clemens (NYJ)
Kyle Boller (OAK)
Bruce Gradkowski (OAK)
Dennis Dixon (PIT)
Billy Volek (SD)
Troy Smith (SF)
Kerry Collins (TEN)
Rex Grossman (WAS)

fixed.

dland24 wrote:
I see a maximum of 9 wins on that schedule. The number drops drastically if Alex Smith is our QB.
16-0 without alex and 4-12 with alex.

tavaris jackson anyone?
nerd.gif

Back
Top Bottom