Official 2012 San Francisco 49ers Offseason Thread

[h3]49ers matching Texans offer?[/h3]
12:31PM ET

[h5]Nnamdi Asomugha | Raiders | Interested: Texans?, 49ers?, Jets?[/h5]

UPDATE XI: Jason La Canfora of NFL Network just clarified his earlier Tweet: "On Clements, to clarify, 49ers save $7.25M cash (base salary) and $15M in cap space," he wrote. "But I'd be surprised at this point if they get Nnamdi."

ESPN's John Clayton disagrees. "The 49ers release of cornerback Nate Clements clears $15.7 million of cap room," he wrote. "That should put them in the Nnamdi hunt."

---

UPDATE X: Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers will release Nate Clements, clearing up $7 million in cap room. They've signed all their rookies and reached a deal with Alex Smith, so that money's got to go somewhere -- will they throw it Nnamdi's way?

---

UPDATE IX: ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky points out another financial edge the Houston Texans have in this race: There is no state income tax in Texas. That means a few extra million dollars going into Asomugha's pocket, on top of the extra money that Houston is offering.

---

UPDATE VIII: John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans were able to rework a pair of contracts on their roster to clear up enough cap space to virtually offer the moon, and that's when their pursuit of Asomugha really intensified.

---

UPDATE VII: Michael Lombardi of NFL Network is reporting that the Houston Texans are the new leaders in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes, and the reason is money -- he says they're offering him $12 to $15 million a year. For comparison, the Jets are paying Darrelle Revis $11.5 million a year.

grin.gif

[h3]49ers matching Texans offer?[/h3]
12:31PM ET

[h5]Nnamdi Asomugha | Raiders | Interested: Texans?, 49ers?, Jets?[/h5]

UPDATE XI: Jason La Canfora of NFL Network just clarified his earlier Tweet: "On Clements, to clarify, 49ers save $7.25M cash (base salary) and $15M in cap space," he wrote. "But I'd be surprised at this point if they get Nnamdi."

ESPN's John Clayton disagrees. "The 49ers release of cornerback Nate Clements clears $15.7 million of cap room," he wrote. "That should put them in the Nnamdi hunt."

---

UPDATE X: Jason La Canfora of NFL Network reports that the San Francisco 49ers will release Nate Clements, clearing up $7 million in cap room. They've signed all their rookies and reached a deal with Alex Smith, so that money's got to go somewhere -- will they throw it Nnamdi's way?

---

UPDATE IX: ESPN AFC South blogger Paul Kuharsky points out another financial edge the Houston Texans have in this race: There is no state income tax in Texas. That means a few extra million dollars going into Asomugha's pocket, on top of the extra money that Houston is offering.

---

UPDATE VIII: John McClain of the Houston Chronicle reports that the Texans were able to rework a pair of contracts on their roster to clear up enough cap space to virtually offer the moon, and that's when their pursuit of Asomugha really intensified.

---

UPDATE VII: Michael Lombardi of NFL Network is reporting that the Houston Texans are the new leaders in the Nnamdi Asomugha sweepstakes, and the reason is money -- he says they're offering him $12 to $15 million a year. For comparison, the Jets are paying Darrelle Revis $11.5 million a year.

grin.gif

It's all based on what Nnamdi wants most

If he wants to stay home he'll choose SF
If he wants money he'll go to TX
If he wants to win and launch his post-football career he'll choose NYJ.

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Exactly what I'm thinking, not even in a biased way either. If he wants to win right now then the Jets are the clear choice. If he wants the most money and a team that is in a decent division and a team on the up then the Texans are that squad, and obviously if he wants to stay loyal to the bay (a California kid, went to Berkeley, and played for Oakland) and just about as big of a contract as the other 2 teams can offer then he'll be a 49er next season.

I personally think that he will go to the Texans, but that in no way means I am not praying that he's rockin' that 49er jersey next season
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Him and Pat Willy on the same field would be scary
devil.gif
.. I just want this deal to get done already no matter where he goes, I'm literally lookin' at Maiocco and Shefters tweets every time when I see one is unread in the tabs section
laugh.gif

If we can't get Nnamdi, who's the next best corner available at this point?.. also I heard we were in the running in the trade for Ochocinco

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Exactly what I'm thinking, not even in a biased way either. If he wants to win right now then the Jets are the clear choice. If he wants the most money and a team that is in a decent division and a team on the up then the Texans are that squad, and obviously if he wants to stay loyal to the bay (a California kid, went to Berkeley, and played for Oakland) and just about as big of a contract as the other 2 teams can offer then he'll be a 49er next season.

I personally think that he will go to the Texans, but that in no way means I am not praying that he's rockin' that 49er jersey next season
pimp.gif
pimp.gif

Him and Pat Willy on the same field would be scary
devil.gif
.. I just want this deal to get done already no matter where he goes, I'm literally lookin' at Maiocco and Shefters tweets every time when I see one is unread in the tabs section
laugh.gif

If we can't get Nnamdi, who's the next best corner available at this point?.. also I heard we were in the running in the trade for Ochocinco

If not Nnamdi, Cromartie could be available for the 49ers. Call me a homer, but I still think Nnamdi to the 49ers is more likely than people believe
pimp.gif

Reminds me a little bit of the Harbaugh stuff when he got him as the new coach...there were reports everywhere he was going to go to Miami, which turned out to be false. I won't believe anything until I see something set in stone.

If not Nnamdi, Cromartie could be available for the 49ers. Call me a homer, but I still think Nnamdi to the 49ers is more likely than people believe
pimp.gif

Reminds me a little bit of the Harbaugh stuff when he got him as the new coach...there were reports everywhere he was going to go to Miami, which turned out to be false. I won't believe anything until I see something set in stone.

Back
Top Bottom