Official 2012 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (94-68) World Series Champions

Giants-Brewers Monday CSN 630
pimp.gif

Was glad to see the Giants on TV. Aubrey Huff is looking good. I'm trying not to buy into him during the Spring, because he did the same thing last year and was nowhere to be seen during the regular season.

Also was glad to see Travis Ishikawa fighting for a job.

SMH at Justin Christian dropping a routine flyball. Bochy looked pissed. Haha.

hector is on fire
and blanco has some wheels... damn

all this good stuff coming outta ST getting me pumped for the season

Originally Posted by ricerocket1

wait there was a travis ishikawa sighting!?
Ishikawa is trying to make it on the Brewers. 
Hector is on fire, I really would like him to back up Posey. I believe the Giants need a better bat behind Posey. Whiteside and Stewart aren't going to cut it.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]SF Giants, Madison Bumgarner agree to one-year deal[/h2]
There will be no long-term deal for pitcher Madison Bumgarner, at least not at the moment.

The Giants and the 22-year-old left-hander have reached agreement on a one-year deal, The Chronicle has learned. I don’t have the exact figure yet, but I’m told it’s close to the $575,000 that Buster Posey earned last year when his service time was close to what Bumgarner’s is now.

The Giants have until Sunday to reach contract agreements with all of their players not yet eligible for salary arbitration. Bumgarner and Posey are the two biggest names in that category.

Bumgarner earned $450,000 last year.

For those of you unfamiliar with baseball’s salary structure wondering how in the name of Cotton Tierney can Bumgarner earn so little, that’s just the way it is. For the first three years of your big-league career, you basically play for the minimum (now $480,000) or slightly above. Then you become eligible for salary arbitration and your paychecks rise exponentially until you reach six years of service time, when you can cut your own deal with anybody as a free agent.

Bumgarner might become arbitration-eligible next season as a “Super Two

Posey back behind the plate today!!! Freddy making an appearance as DH too!

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Hector is on fire, I really would like him to back up Posey. I believe the Giants need a better bat behind Posey. Whiteside and Stewart aren't going to cut it.

This came up during the Mike Krukow show on the KNBR Morning show last week. Brian Murphy is pretty much in your boat, thinking that Hector's bat makes him way more valuable on a team searching for runs. I find myself on Krukow's boat, thinking the experience both Eli and Stewart catching a Major League staff is way more important than what we'd get from Sanchez offensively.

I think we got lucky with the personality and maturity that we got with Buster behind the plate, making it easy for the staff to transition away from Bengie in 2010. I don't think we'll be able to find out about Sanchez until at least next season.

[h2][/h2]
[h2]SF Giants catcher Buster Posey signs one-year, $615,000 deal[/h2]The Giants just announced they have reached contract agreements with all 19 of their 40-man roster players who are not yet eligible for salary arbitration, generally those with zero to three years of major-league service time.
Most of these players will earn the major-league minimum of $480,000 or slightly above. Two notable exceptions are Buster Posey and Madison Bumgarner.

I’ve learned that Posey will get $615,000 for his one-year deal. As I reported this morning, Bumgarner will get roughly the $575,000 that Posey earned last year.

Posey will be eligible for salary arbitration next year, when he’ll start earning in the millions. Bumgarner could be arbitration-eligible too if he ends the season as one of the top 22 percent of players in service time among those with two to three years, the “Super Twos.

BASTITCH1!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Edit:
Originally Posted by Bastitch

This came up during the Mike Krukow show on the KNBR Morning show last week. Brian Murphy is pretty much in your boat, thinking that Hector's bat makes him way more valuable on a team searching for runs. I find myself on Krukow's boat, thinking the experience both Eli and Stewart catching a Major League staff is way more important than what we'd get from Sanchez offensively.

I think we got lucky with the personality and maturity that we got with Buster behind the plate, making it easy for the staff to transition away from Bengie in 2010. I don't think we'll be able to find out about Sanchez until at least next season.

Listen to this man, he caught CC Sabathia growing up.

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

Edit:

Shut.

Edit:

Shut.

My sinceriest appologies.  I just miss caddying for you.

Edit:

Shut.

My sinceriest appologies.  I just miss caddying for you.

Let's hit up a game this season. I work in Napa now, so home weekday games are a go for me.

[h1][/h1]
[h1]SF Giants admit Freddy Sanchez in doubt for opener[/h1]

Sunday, March 18, 2012

Scottsdale, Ariz. -- Two-thirds of spring training is over, the Giants head north in less than two weeks, and Freddy Sanchez has not appeared in a game at second base. With all that in mind, manager Bruce Bochy had to concede Sunday that Sanchez might not be ready for the April 6 season opener at Arizona.

"I guess you have to say that's a possibility," Bochy said after the Giants slogged through rain and hail in a 5-1 loss to San Diego.

"We're down to two weeks, and he hasn't gotten out there yet. We're still optimistic that we'll get him out there, but each day that goes by the possibility grows a little bit that he's not going to be ready."

This is wearying for the team, the fans and Sanchez, who has expressed his frustration with a seemingly endless string of injuries and months of rehabilitation.

Sanchez underwent surgery in August to repair his right shoulder, which he dislocated in June. He is not hurting now, aside from normal aches and pains, but he has not strengthened the shoulder sufficiently to be comfortable throwing all-out. The Giants do not like to send players into games, even exhibitions, and tell them to take it easy.

Sanchez has made four appearance as a designated hitter, batting .278 (5-for-18). But Bochy and the coaches want to see Sanchez make the pivot at second base on a double play and throw hard across his body to first. Bochy felt Sanchez was still throwing tentatively during his last full-speed infield drill and wants to see him game-ready in practice. That will not happen before Tuesday.

"Once he takes a good infield and feels like he can play in a game, we'll put him out there, but not until then," Bochy said.

The Giants have plenty of alternatives, including Mike Fontenot, Ryan Theriot and Emmanuel Burriss. Theriot has not looked good at the plate or in the field this spring, in direct contrast to Burriss, who is hitting .441 while flashing a very good glove.

Huff better: Aubrey Huff said he expects to play when the Giants return from a one-day break Tuesday. He was a late scratch Saturday after his back locked up during batting practice but reported feeling much better Sunday.

"I probably could have played, but I didn't want to make it worse," Huff said, adding he could move freely from side to side but would have struggled bending for a groundball.

Catcher market: Eli Whiteside and Chris Stewart are among roughly a dozen catchers that the Kansas City Royals are investigating as they seek to replace starter Salvador Perez, who will miss 12 to 14 weeks after knee surgery.

Whiteside and Stewart are engaged in a tight competition to be Buster Posey's backup. Both are out of minor-league options, so the Giants might be interested in trading the one who does not make the team. Bochy said that decision probably will go down to the wire.

The Royals would be wise to ask Jonathan Sanchez about the two. Whiteside caught Sanchez's 2009 no-hitter, and they developed a good pitcher-catcher relationship.

Also, Tim Lincecum and Clayton Kershaw grace the cover of the new ESPN magazine. Magazine should be out Friday.

2h6ewpd.jpg

I just want to go on the record, again, and say, the Giants are going to regret not getting/going after a guy like Cuddyer.

I know its just Spring Training......but no hit by Jamie Moyer? All you can do is laugh. I have a feeling its going to be a long season.

Back
Top Bottom