Official 2012 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (94-68) World Series Champions

We are the worst fielding team in all of baseball.

We are a bottom 3 hitting team in all of baseball.

We all of a sudden have a fairly suspect bullpen.

This team is sputtering right now. I was actually embarrassed tonight.

The starting rotation is gonna have to throw their arms off and K every batter to keep runs off the board. Doesn't matter how good Lincecum has been (in the past), Cain, Bumgarner, Vogelsong...this piss poor defense is gonna singlehandedly keep every one of their names off the Cy Young ballot.

Some people were opposed of bringing him back, but Carlos Beltran is playing well. Batting .280 8 HR 20 RBIs and 5 SB.

He would already be the best hitter in the lineup if he were signed back.

I don't think it's as easy as saying, you put Carlos Beltran back in this line up and his stats would be _______.

You know what I'm saying? He'd have less protection in our line up anyway.

The defense is what really scares me about this team....last in the majors. Yikes.

I was against bringing him back strictly because of his price tag. I didnt think it was wise to invest that amount of money in an injury prone outfielder in the twilight of his career.

That being said, the money should have been used elsewhere, and wasnt. Our lineup is abysmal, but looks to be marginally better (my preseason prediction) than last year. Well marginally better is not going to cut it...especially because we kick the ball around the field more than any other team in baseball.

This has all the makings of a really long season......

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I don't think it's as easy as saying, you put Carlos Beltran back in this line up and his stats would be _______.

I know exactly what you're saying, but you're missing that type of production on the team. Someone who can drive the ball. The lineup needs people who can hit at this point.

A threat from both sides of the plate and a much better option behind Sandoval and Posey rather than the likes of Huff, Belt, or Pill.

Originally Posted by dland24

I was against bringing him back strictly because of his price tag. I didnt think it was wise to invest that amount of money in an injury prone outfielder in the twilight of his career.

Looking at the deal for Beltran, it was 2-years, $26 million. It's just two years. You live with it. We lived through 2 years of Renteria and we're getting through 2 years of Huff. Beltran was/is a better player than both of them.

Originally Posted by Red Is On NT

Originally Posted by LazyJ10

I know exactly what you're saying, but you're missing that type of production on the team. Someone who can drive the ball. The lineup needs people who can hit at this point.

A threat from both sides of the plate and a much better option behind Sandoval and Posey rather than the likes of Huff, Belt, or Pill.

Originally Posted by dland24

Looking at the deal for Beltran, it was 2-years, $26 million. It's just two years. You live with it. We lived through 2 years of Renteria and we're getting through 2 years of Huff. Beltran was/is a better player than both of them.
But if the Giants signed Beltran, would they have had they payroll to lock up Cain and Bumgarner?

I don't get that. Teams that care more about making money than winning, why even get a professional team? If you're not losing money, why can't they spend more? That's why I will always respect Mark Cuban, even if I don't like him.

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

But if the Giants signed Beltran, would they have had they payroll to lock up Cain and Bumgarner?
I'm assuming they would.

Huff is off the books after this year, as is Rowand. Zito is off year after next. Also, Giants did attempt to sign Lincecum for 5-years, $100 million in the offseason. They have money, just need to invest it smartly.

Beltran in the Cardinals line up is a better fit in a park that fits him fairly well.

We get on Sabean for deals like those to Rowand and Huff (lesser extent), but at the end of the day, Beltrain to the Giants would probably have worked out closer to that.

If Beltran was younger and still able to play CF (in ATT no less) then your argument would be more valid to me.

We have a cluster**** of 1Bs and OF, of which, we haven't found the right hitter to play and when we do, they're the lesser of the defenders.

You think 2 years/$24 million is investing too much? I would argue that the Giants probably would have done it, but probably wanted a 5 year/$90 million deal.

[table][tr][th="col"] 
6571.jpg
R. Vogelsong SF  [/th] [td]vs.[/td] [th="col"]
8180.jpg
C. Kershaw LAD  [/th] [/tr][tr][td]0-2
[/td] [th="row"]Record[/th] [td]2-0
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]3.42
[/td] [th="row"]ERA[/th] [td]2.63
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]25
[/td] [th="row"]K[/th] [td]34
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]11
[/td] [th="row"]BB[/th] [td]8
[/td] [/tr][tr][td]1.33
[/td] [th="row"]WHIP[/th] [td]0.93[/td][/tr][/table]
San Francisco Giants Lineup
Pagan, CF
Theriot, 2B
Cabrera, RF
Posey, C
Pill, LF
Arias, 3B
Belt, 1B
Crawford, SS
Vogelsong, RHP

Los Angeles Dodgers Lineup
Gordon, SS
M. Ellis, 2B
Kemp, CF
Ethier, RF
Rivera, LF
Loney, 1B
Uribe, 3B
A. Ellis, C
Kershaw, LHP

Originally Posted by Barry Zero

What did he do for us last season?

He'd make a marginal difference for this team.

He got hurt, but he did start to hit (yes it was too late).  It's not like people can use the argument that he wasn't hitting because he was.  90 AB 6 HR 14RBI 8BB and AVG .378.  You're right though.

What did he do for us last season?

He'd make a marginal difference for this team.
If we don't make the playoffs, do we then get rid of Posey and Sandoval? I mean, what did they do for us, right?

Beltran's hitting .444 with RISP w/ 2 outs. He's hitting .351 with runners on base. Take the ballpark into consideration, so his stats would be lower. Still better than what we're getting out of everybody else on our team.

Posey and Sandoval are already under contract and we don't need to go out of our way to sign them - moot point. And you damn well know neither of them are 3/4 hitters on a good team.

You can spew out all the stats you want. Doesn't mean he would have produced in the same fashion for us this season.

Maybe you think if Beltran was on our team, Wilson's ligament would still be intact, Sanchez's shoulder wasn't made of playdough, and Lincecum would get people out in the first inning.
And for the record, I realize he'd be our best outfielder.  I just think you guys over value him.  We're not a playoff team with/without him.  

Posey and Sandoval are already under contract and we don't need to go out of our way to sign them - moot point. And you damn well know neither of them are 3/4 hitters on a good team.
But you get what I'm saying. Fact of the matter is that Beltran has always known how to hit.

You can spew out all the stats you want. Doesn't mean he would have produced in the same fashion for us this season.
That's why I said his stats would be lower. We agree. But I'd take that.

Maybe you think if Beltran was on our team, Wilson's ligament would still be intact, Sanchez's shoulder wasn't made of playdough, and Lincecum would get people out in the first inning.
Don't tell me what I think and what I don't think. You think I'm that naive?

And for the record, I realize he'd be our best outfielder.  I just think you guys over value him.  We're not a playoff team with/without him.  
I don't overvalue him. I wouldn't pay him an incredible amount of money. "The market for Beltran was soft" as Baggerly put it last offseason. I don't think we would have invested that much in him. A bit more than the Cards offered him. If he didn't sign here because he didn't like our ballpark, then fine. At least try. And that's what Sabean didn't do. He gave up early in negotiations with Beltran.

We may or may not be a playoff team with him, but give me a collection of competent ballplayers and let me take my chances. It's a long season (cliche, I know).

Sabean blows, it's not a novel concept.

I still don't think you get my stance on Beltran but I don't care enough to keep going over this.

Maybe you think if Beltran was on our team, Belt wouldn't have loopy %$* swing, Crawford would hit has well as he fields (..uhh..), Affeldt wouldn't play with knives or his son for that matter, and Gota would say no to drugs,

Back
Top Bottom