Official 2012 San Francisco Giants Season Thread (94-68) World Series Champions

http://www.mlbdailydish.com/2012/7/30/3201201/giants-have-a-deal-in-place-to-acquire-hunter-pence

UPDATE Monday 1:53 AM EST: Hank Schulman of the San Francisco Chronicle throws some cold water on the report of a deal being agreed to.

UPDATE Monday 1:06 AM EST: Giants VP Bobby Evans tells Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area that there's "no truth to the rumor" of a deal in place to acquire Hunter Pence. Baggarly also tweets the KPIX newsroom have confirmed to him their sports director, Dennis O'Donnell, breaking the news and not a hoax account.

Original Story: According to KPIX-TV, San Francisco's CBS affiliate, the San Francisco Giants have a "deal in place" to acquire corner outfielder Hunter Pence from the Philadelphia Phillies, but is pending ownership approval (via Andrew Baggarly of CSN Bay Area). KPIX-TV broke the Aubrey Huff deal and the managerial hiring of Bruce Bochy, among others.

Andrew Baggarly@CSNBaggs
KPIX-TV is reporting that the Giants have a "deal in place" for Hunter Pence, pending ownership approval.
29 Jul 12 ReplyRetweetFavorite
The Phillies have been eager to move Pence and getting swept by the Braves this weekend was a clear signal to GM Ruben Amaro Jr to sell, sell, sell. The 29-year-old Pence is batting .268/.333/.444 in 396 plate appearances this season.

Also, it will be interesting to see the quality and quantity of prospects returning to Philly, who desperately need to improve their farm system. The one question everyone is wondering right now: did the Giants part with prized prospect Gary Brown?

Don't know how credible the source is, but i'd like to see it go through

Damn I was hoping this was more than a rumor cause that would've made this weekend slightly better after getting swept. Hopefully we rebound against the Mets.

Hope we can make a deal happen before Tuesday but I'm not too optimistic about it.

Need a HUGE bounce back series against the Mets starting tomorrow...

Where there's smoke.....right? O'Donnell is a fairly credible source. He has broken Giants news before. Lets hope/pray....

Yes, let's hope and pray.

I'd be willing to part with Gary Brown.

If Amaro is really looking to sell he's a few days too late. Giving Hamels that deal will strap the Phils for years!

hey. 9ers fan here and gona be in town for the lions game so i thought i'd check out a baseball game while i'm here. i got batters box tickets to a rockies game in september. anybody sat there before?

Talbert

hey. 9ers fan here and gona be in town for the lions game so i thought i'd check out a baseball game while i'm here. i got batters box tickets to a rockies game in september. anybody sat there before?
Talbert

The name sounds amazing. You aren't scared being in the batters box?

I went to the game on Friday and the vibe was great. After the Belt hit the place was rocking. Hanley. :smh:

Sergio chokes in big games.

I went to the game on Friday and the vibe was great. After the Belt hit the place was rocking. Hanley. :smh:
Sergio chokes in big games.

Eh, he got burned by not getting that strike 3 call.....no saying it's an excuse, but it quickly changed the entire AB/game (obviously).

DKnobler@DKnobler

As of now, Giants ownership has not given OK to add significantly to payroll. Which means as of now, no big additions.

Eh, he got burned by not getting that strike 3 call.....no saying it's an excuse, but it quickly changed the entire AB/game (obviously).
To who? Tough to see from where I was sitting. And was it a strike no question?

Sources: Giants & Phillies are at least discussing Hunter Pence

By Jon Heyman | Baseball Insider
July 30, 2012 1:00 pm ET

The Giants are trying to swing for Hunter Pence, CBSSports.com has confirmed.

While Giants people have denied the report that there is a deal "in place'' for Pence, and that appears to be the case, but the Giants are talking to the Phillies about Pence.

Phillies GM Ruben Amaro acknowledged in a recent interview that sometimes plans change.

The Giants weren't believed to have much money to spend. But it appears they are considering spending some here.

The Phillies have led Pence to believe he won't be traded, but it appears they are at least willing to listen. Pence is batting .268 with 17 home runs and 59 RBI this year and will make $13-to-15 million in arbitration next year.

I forget, whoever had the at bat ahead of the HR. I thought it was a strike on the telecast and Romo was halfway off the field....

In my opinion, the pitch was borderline. Definitely could have been called a strike though. The way I see it, Romo was pissed that the Ump called it a balll, and Ethier would have been pissed if the ump called it a strike.

Back
Top Bottom