Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haven't spoken to Tap yet, he looked like he was in bad shape after the fight, gonna give it a few days.

That last shot at the end rubbed me the wrong way. I know the ref did a poor job breaking the fight up as he was trying to stop it, but you don't hit a guy with his hands down. The fight was over.

I guess since thats my peeps I'm a little worked up.

Haven't spoken to Tap yet, he looked like he was in bad shape after the fight, gonna give it a few days.

That last shot at the end rubbed me the wrong way. I know the ref did a poor job breaking the fight up as he was trying to stop it, but you don't hit a guy with his hands down. The fight was over.

Just saw the replay of the Tapia v Kirkland fight. Incredible fight. Kirkland was too relentless and those body shots whittled Tapia away, despite his heart. Steve Smoger is a "laissez-faire" type ref which is why he is liked but it showed during the stoppage. Sometimes you gotta get in there and throw your weight around and toss or twist those guys off each other. Looked like Tapia observed the ref stepping in, and Kirkland didn't. I don't think Tapia will be the same fighter after this, but hopefully he is. He could go places and I would wanna see him fight again.

Just saw the replay of the Tapia v Kirkland fight. Incredible fight. Kirkland was too relentless and those body shots whittled Tapia away, despite his heart. Steve Smoger is a "laissez-faire" type ref which is why he is liked but it showed during the stoppage. Sometimes you gotta get in there and throw your weight around and toss or twist those guys off each other. Looked like Tapia observed the ref stepping in, and Kirkland didn't. I don't think Tapia will be the same fighter after this, but hopefully he is. He could go places and I would wanna see him fight again.

Yeah this was a damaging loss for him based of what I've heard from my homies that went to see the fight live. He got beat pretty bad, should've stopped it after the 4th. Maybe he was over confident, hopefully he can use this loss as motivation. I never saw him take an L before, in the ring or in the street, so I'm not sure what this did to his mental.

Not going to lie, that last shot Kirkland threw almost seemed intentional. The look on his face after he threw the punch screamed to me anyways "take that chump." Always good to see guys like GGG who can brutally punish their opponent but know when not to throw a 2nd, 3rd punch and let the referee do his job. Tapia has nothing to be ashamed about, he fought well but Kirkland is just a monster.

Kid has nothing to be ashamed of, fought his heart out. I see the potential, so hope he works his way back. He has that "Gatti factor" about him. Boxing has a funny way of writing these fighters off after their first loss though.

I'm still salty over the trainer, though. Tapia's eyes were closed shut after the 4th round, and all you can say is "show me some hop" REALLY?! I'm not sure if that's been his only trainer, but I don't know how you go on with him moving forward.

As for Smoger, he should've made a better effort in stopping it. If you're gonna jump in, wrap your body around the kid completely.

CS23: You from the Passaic area?

One of my best friends from college (Rutgers) is very close with Glen Tapia. Sees him for local cookouts and Tapia's mom even sees over his newborn baby.

Horrible fighter management by Alex. That's not how you look after or protect a promising prospect. It was a huge step up in competition. Top Rank would be wise to take the next step slowly and cautiously.

That last hook was brutal to watch. Fight should have been stopped after the fourth, entertaining or not. Tapia had nothing to prove. Smart boxing fans knows he has heart and pride. "Jersey Boy" was extremely competitive in his first major test.

Give us Kirk and GGG in 2014.

I have a couple pics for you guys from Barclays once my phone charges up. First live boxing event. Sat 14 rows back.

Went to BWW beforehand for some Sam Cherry's. Beers ran $11 a pop for Stella's. Chicken tenders and fries for $10. Expected stadium prices.

I got there super early because I didn't want to miss Sadam Ali, Marcus Browne, Julian Williams, or Juan Dominguez.

Browne: Head hunting from the jump. Looked solely for his power shot. I'd like to see him box more and use the jab. What happens when you can't land the KO punch? Engel wanted no parts once he felt the power.

Ali: Hand speed is evident. I don't see his power holding against the upper echelon in the division. Early ref stoppage, IMO. Jesus Selig didn't look like a 16-1 fighter. Wasn't really throwing a lot of punches.

After Krupp and Selig, I'm not entirely sold just yet.

He's 25, Golden Boy has to move him up somewhat quickly. I'd like to see a step up in competition after Selig.

Side note: Ali seemed like a nice guy. Circled the arena to take pictures with a good number of fans. Had a moderate size group supporting and cheering for a very early fight time.

Dominguez: Camilo Perez was game. Tito clearly had more power than Perez for the small guys. Dominguez kept fixing his shorts every couple combos.

Williams: The KO surprised me. Opposing corner threw in the towel rather quickly. Expected Julian to win by decision.

Dirrell/Bika: Best fight of the night. My section was pro-Ant, maybe because I was yelling and cheering like a madman.

Showed flashes of his power culminating with the knockdown. But he somewhat coasted and maybe took rounds off after that point. Ant allowed Bika to bully him into the ropes and unload to the body. Bika's a veteran. Experienced gatekeeper who doesn't win the major fights. Some of Bika's tactics were certainly questionable and/or dirty. He most of flown in a contingency from Australia because right in front of Section 8 in the floor seats, a group led by a woman was screaming for Bika the entire fight.

Crowd didn't respond or react well to Ant's showboating, if you call it that, at the end. Hands up in the air in victory.

Dirrell showed a good chin. Took some clean shots pinned against the ropes. Countered well selectively.

I wouldn't be opposed to a rematch.

Trout/Lara: The fans booed the entire fight. But the average boxing fan doesn't know their styles are too similar. Defensive, counter punching. Tactical. Trout never looked in the fight. Had a pained or uncomfortable expression on his face from the jump. Maybe a bad camp or weight cut? Pure speculation on my part. But this wasn't the Trout that defeated Cotto impressively or fought Canelo competitively.

The knockdown was brutal to watch as a huge Trout supporter. They showed his wife and two children reacting on the big screen. Wife grimaced. Kids were crying for their dad.

Lara showed elite defense, head movement, technique, footwork. He picked his spots and was the better man on that night.

I don't know what's next for either fighter. Back to the drawing board for Trout. Step up for Lara.

Alexander/Porter: The general consensus in my section was Dev by decision with crisp boxing. Many believed Porter wasn't ready for the bright lights.

I spoke with Freaky about this upset. Told NT'ers to bet it a $4-$5 on the dollar.

Porter showed no rattle. Got inside with ease negating any reach, height advantages. Bullied forward with no heart in his heart. Didn't respect Alexander the Great's pop one bit.

I was disappointed with Dev. Didn't use his jab or reach to keep Porter outside. Didn't even discourage Porter from advancing forward and engaging.

Alexander showed a sturdy chin. Took numerous clean, powerful shots from Porter, especially earlier in the fight. Both somewhat coasted in the later championship rounds.

Porter is very close with his dad. Just a brief observation. Like Bradley is and Judah is. Also came off religious or thankful to a higher power.

Side bar: The tall brunette was the baddest ring card girl. She must have been hurting from smiling so much, but it came off natural or maybe I'm just infatuated.

Main Event: Judah/Malignaggi. Crowd was seemingly 65%-70% pro-Judah leading up to the fight. Intro music was hype for both fighters. Paulie came out with Vinny from Jersey Shore. My section was clowning his trunks all night.

Paulie had an argument with their legs tangling in the knockdown. But Zab's punch was clean too. Malignaggi wasn't stunned or hurt from the knockdown. Jumped up immediately in protest.

Crowd quickly turned on Super Judah. Booed. Told him not to show his face in the neighborhood. Nonsense like that.

Zab honestly did look washed. Nothing like the late rally against Garcia. Didn't throw much. Seemed complacent with collecting a paycheck. Didn't implement a definitive strategy or game plan like Paulie.

We all know Malignaggi has pillow/feather fists. He landed clean at will, never rocked or stunned Zab.

Star power in the house: Mosley, B-Hop, Jacobs, Rosado, Garcia, Tarver.

Ortiz got the worst reception. Rosie got the best.

Stadium was relatively empty until the Alexander/Porter fight. Really filled up quickly once the main event started.

Last bit: Thankful for a cool, knowledgeable section.

Next to me was a dude from Montreal also attending his first boxing event. Said it was his dream come true. Dude loved Jean Pascal, understandably. And GSP. He attended the Diaz fight.

On my left was a chill Hispanic dude from Queens. Dragged his girl, who was cute but didn't speak a lick of English. We were both checking for the Rigo and Tapia updates. He was a big Josesito Lopez fan. And agreed with me that Dre Dirrell poses the largest challenge for SoG.

Behind was three African dudes that got hooked up with a nice deal on tickets through a friend employed at Barclays. They were cracking jokes, crushing brews, and just overall funny guys.

12/14: I'm going Broner decision. I'm worried about his weight cut, conditioning, and chin against Maidana.

Thurman by late KO. He needs to get hit less than the Chaves fight.

San Antonio, not San Diego, brotha.

Santa Cruz by mid round KO.

Kirkland Vs. GGG, I'll pay for that fight just to support GGG.

I'm gonna have to blame that last punch on Tapia's trainer.  No reason Tapia should have been out there.  I wouldn't be mad if they fined Kirkland either...

CS23: You from the Passaic area?

One of my best friends from college (Rutgers) is very close with Glen Tapia. Sees him for local cookouts and Tapia's mom even sees over his newborn baby.

Horrible fighter management by Alex. That's not how you look after or protect a promising prospect. It was a huge step up in competition. Top Rank would be wise to take the next step slowly and cautiously.

That last hook was brutal to watch. Fight should have been stopped after the fourth, entertaining or not. Tapia had nothing to prove. Smart boxing fans knows he has heart and pride. "Jersey Boy" was extremely competitive in his first major test.

Give us Kirk and GGG in 2014.

Yeah, I'm from Paterson but spent a lot of time in Passaic growing up. Met Tap when I was 12-13 I think, him and my best friend are close. We always called him Mossberg as kids.

Alex did horrible job, but you can tell he wanted to win that fight just as bad as Tap. Biggest fight of his career, in his home state, the whole city watching, etc, I think they both got caught up in the moment which caused the fight to go on longer than it should have.

I know you said you're from NJ, can't remember if you said Ridgewood or Rutherford ..

I'm based out of Bergen County, but I work in Midtown.

Wish I could take off work for a flight to San Antonio for Thurman and Broner.

Top Rank better give Jersey Boy a true tuneup fight next time around. Like a real step down in competition to get his confidence, comfort level back up. Also to ensure his mental state and health.

Damn :lol:

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
According to Nielsen figures for Saturday's HBO card: Rigo-Agbeko trash drew 550k viewers, Kirkland-Tapia 718k, Macklin-Russ 401k. #boxing

Yup:

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
By contrast, Showtime's viewership on Sat night: Lara-Trout 429k viewers, Bika-Dirrell 446k, Porter-Alexander 515k, Malignaggi-Judah 640k.

Makes sense. Ant/Bika was far more exciting than Porter/Dev, but the fight time was too early for most. 8:30, first of the four main fights.

I'm surprised people tuned in for Alexander the Great knowing his style with crisp boxing and lack of KO power.

Yup:

danrafaelespn Dan Rafael
By contrast, Showtime's viewership on Sat night: Lara-Trout 429k viewers, Bika-Dirrell 446k, Porter-Alexander 515k, Malignaggi-Judah 640k.

Surprised that Kirkland/Tapia was fight of the night, even though it was so short. Would've thought Paulie/Judah would've gotten the biggest viewers.

Kirkland Vs. GGG, I'll pay for that fight just to support GGG.

I'm gonna have to blame that last punch on Tapia's trainer.  No reason Tapia should have been out there.  I wouldn't be mad if they fined Kirkland either...

Thats a huge mismatch in GGG's favor and shouldn't happen.

As for Rigo, I love watching him pick apart his opponents.

Last edited:
Triple G needs to clean out 160, he has a lot of possible fights.

Ward cleaned out 168, it's time he moves up.

Will the network conflicts get in the way of Rosado vs Kirkland? I want to see that. If I'm not mistaken Rosado isn't signed to a major promoter.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom