Official 2013 Boxing Thread: Year is over, please lock.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Peterson beats Garcia and Matthysse.
Matthysse beats Garcia.
At this Point I think Peterson is the Best 140 lber. He is not the fastest or the biggest puncher but he has excellent stamina coupled with a great body attack and a will to win. I think he has the ability to just gradually grind you down over 12 rounds. I think Garcia beats Matthyse though. We know Garcia can take a punch not too sure if Matthyse can take Garcia punch. I think everyone can agree that a lot of punches will be taken by both fighters.

Peterson beats Garcia and Matthysse.

Matthysse beats Garcia.
At this Point I think Peterson is the Best 140 lber. He is not the fastest or the biggest puncher but he has excellent stamina coupled with a great body attack and a will to win. I think he has the ability to just gradually grind you down over 12 rounds. I think Garcia beats Matthyse though. We know Garcia can take a punch not too sure if Matthyse can take Garcia punch. I think everyone can agree that a lot of punches will be taken by both fighters.

I won't say Peterson is the best. He just happens to have the style to beat most of the guys at the top. I don't think he beat Khan when they faced. But he would beat the current version of Khan. If Broner drops back down to 140 I would say he's the best.

Last edited:
Zab is the biggest waste of boxing talent I've ever witnessed in my life. It's a shame someone with so much natural skill and ability has 8 career losses. Never the same after the Tzu fight.

Judah vs Garcia great fight & good heart by Judah I was expecting Judah to pull a stunt or something. Danny Garcia very underrated chin he took some hard hits from Judah. This was Garcia toughest fight and it only gets tougher after this.

Martinez vs Murray was okay. Murray had great defensive but that hurt him at the end. Martinez def needs this whole year off. Martinez def aging quick and his body breaking down. HBO going international putting a lot of money on Martinez and other fighters.

Khan vs Diaz is just lols. Khan just got ranked #1 by WBC and #2 by Ring Tv :lol: Khan is a bum!
i just get upset he will get the winner of the light weight tournament and he didn't fighter solid competition easy route. Business wise Khan does bring the $$$$.

Man, I don't think Sergio has another 12 rounds against JCC Jr in him...

For all of Jr's flaws as a fighter, inside and out...that body work is consistent, and he doesn't stop coming.

JCC jr said he doesn't want a Martinez rematch. he wants to fight someone that is going to stand and exchange shots, not run around for 12 rounds.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, Martinez is overrated. Murray comes out with the W had it not been in Argentina. it would have been a huge riot had they rightfully given it to Murray.
did anyone see Murray get spit on as he was walking to the ring??
lmfao

Did anyone see the punch that Bermane Stiverne knocked down Chris Arreola with? He caught Arreola clean.

Zab showed hearts did not know he had. I have been a huge Zab fan for 10+ years. I have traveled to see him fight and always supported him. Today was a sad day for me. I know that this was the last chance for Zab to finally win the big fight that he has been looking for since the Spinks fight in STL.

Time for Zab to hang it up and move on.

He had a good career. It had a lot of promise to be a great career but just could not win the big one.

Zab showed so much heart Holy ****. I am shocked. from the 9th on, Zab owned that fight.

Danny won the fight early tho. Zab didnt decide to let his hands go til too late.

I'd go for a Garcia/Zab II

I looked at my pop after that fight and said the same exact thing. Although Zab wasn't close to winning, I feel like he can make adjustments for a closer fight. But there's not much time for the fight, considering Zab is getting up there in age, and Danny will face the winner of Lamont/Lucas (I personally think Lucas wins both fights).

Damn. Five fights, what a long day. :lol: . I watched the HBO telecast, then watched the end of the Houston game (and had the ending of Zab/Garcia ruined for me :smh: ), then went on to the Showtime telecast.

I was interested to see what you guys said about Murray/Martinez. I felt the same way as most of you guys did. I just thought that Murray had a great gameplan, and the only real shots that Martinez got clean was his body shots. He got some of his jabs in late, but Murray had such great defense and didn't even need to worry about Sergio's power that fight. I wasn't confident in Sergio, and that's coming from a huge supporter of his. I just don't feel like he outboxed Murray. He outpunched him, but not outboxed. Murray was very efficient, and very effective.

I had the fight 112-114 for Murray. I gave six rounds for Murray, and the knockdown in the 8th sealed it IMO. Judges messed this one up, I thought.

Sergio Martinez VS Martin Murray.
1. 10-9 Serg
2. 10-9 Serg
3. 9-10 Murray
4. 9-10 Murray
5. 10-9 Serg
6. 9-10 Murray
7. 9-10 Serg
8. 8-10 Murray (knockdown)
9. 10-9 Serg
10. 9-10 Murray
11. 10-9 Serg
12. 9-10 Murray

112-114 Murray

My favorite fight of the night was actually the Arreola/Stiverne fight. If you ever see a fight that turns around with a single punch, it's that nose-breaker at the very end of the third. I loved the intensity that Stiverne came out with. Even though Arreola was the naturally bigger and taller fighter, Stiverne didn't stop. Arreola put forth a hell of an effort, and I was proud to see him fight like that, as I wasn't really a fan beforehand. I thought Stiverne's best showing other than the third was the 8th round, which I was close to giving Stiverne a 10-8.

I had it 111-116 for Stiverne. I really liked the effort out of both fighters though. You don't see that very often in heavyweight fighting anymore, so it was a pleasure to watch.

Chris Arreola VS Stiverne
1. 10-9 Arreola
2. 10-9 Arreola
3. 8-10 Stiverne (knockdown)
4. 9-10 Stiverne
5. 9-10 Stiverne
6. 10-9 Arreola
7. 9-10 Stiverne
8. 9-10 Stiverne, close to 8-10.
9. 10-9 Arreola
10. 9-10 Stiverne
11. 9-10 Stiverne
12. 9-10 Stiverne.

111-116 Stiverne

The most lop-sided fight of the night was definitely the Quillin fight. What's interesting is that in Quillin's last two fights (N'dam, Guerrero), is that he's shown a really poor defensive effort. That sixth round really saw Guerrero get off some nice shots, and although he didn't have any power, it shows Quillen's future opponents something that they can expose, similar to what we saw from Canelo early in his career.

I only gave that sixth round to Guerrero, but I thought rounds 4-5 were also closer than the commentators were letting on.

Quillin VS Guerrero
1. 10-9 Quillin
2. 10-7 Quillin (two knockdowns)
3. 10-9 Quillin
4. 10-9 Quillin close
5. 10-9 Quillin close
6. 9-10 Guerrero
7. 10-7 Quillin (two knockdowns)

KO victory for Quillin

I've hated Zab Judah for pretty much his entire career that I've been watching him. I didn't start watching boxing closely until Zab was over the hill, but I really liked what came from Zab tonight late in the fight. Danny obviously won and I'm not questioning that decision at all, but the last three showed me that Zab can still be a good fighter, he just has to keep his head in it. I hope this isn't the last great performance we see from Zab.

I had it a little closer than any of the judges, but still had Danny winning 115-111. I gave Danny a 10-8 round in the 8th because of how close I felt Danny was to ending Zab's night. To that point, Zab hadn't really shown much. After that, Zab showed a ton of heart.

Danny Garcia VS Zab Judah
1. 10-9 Danny
2. 10-9 Danny
3. 9-10 Zab
4. 10-9 Danny
5. 10-9 Danny
6. 10-8 Danny (knockdown)
7. 9-10 Zab
8. 10-8 Danny
9. 10-9 Danny close
10. 9-10 Zab
11. 9-10 Zab
12. 9-10 Zab

115-111 Danny Garcia

Amir Khan has to be the most overhyped fighter I've seen in recent history. :lol: . I thought this was incredibly close. I don't think that the judges had it that far off, which was surprising, but I had it a draw. I scored that 11th round a 10-8 for Julio Diaz. Diaz was great in that round, and if he had the punching power of any of his peers, he would've ended Khan's night EASY that round.

I had it 7-5 in favor of Khan, but gave Julio two 10-8 rounds, so 113-113.

Amir Khan VS Julio Diaz
1. 10-9 Khan
2. 10-9 Khan
3. 10-9 Khan
4. 8-10 Julio (knockdown)
5. 10-9 Khan
6. 10-9 Khan
7. 10-9 Khan close
8. 9-10 Julio
9. 10-9 Khan close
10. 9-10 Julio
11. 8-10 Julio
12. 9-10 Julio close

113-113 Draw

I'm a huge advocate of scoring 10-8 rounds even if there isn't a knockout if a guy shows dominance throughout a round and had enough power shots that severely startle your opponent. I had quite a few tonight, just thought I'd clarify.

Missed the Sergio fight.
Thought Zab could have been more aggressive earlier. Danny is kinda slow, telegraphed, and just throws hooks. Zab coulda countered those

Khan needs to rethink his career. He won but was not impressive at all. If dude cut off the ring and stayed busy he would of ko'd khan

Martinez really needs a long break. Not only is he fighting father time, his opposition in the ring has been top notch as well. His last nine opponents had a combined record of 263-9.

Last edited:
Martinez really needs a long break. Not only is he fighting father time, his opposition in the ring has been top notch as well. His last nine opponents had a combined record of 263-9.
other then the paul williams lost and the 12th of chavez JR fight how many tough fights did he have the last9?

inless you think his knee hasnt healed yet. a long break for a 38 year old fighter is not going to help him, his hands are slower and he still holds them down. wasnt moving around the ring like he was in the past. got the Roy jones affect going for him now

watch the kahn fight this morning, he did enough early in the fight to rack up rounds to hold on to the win, i wouldnt say diaz got robbed. Kahn chin is still trash, how you still getting caught by the same left hook for years now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom