OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

Travis Wilson of Utah is terrible. Utah will have a decent defense, but their offense will be so one-dimensional it's just silly.

Jesus, Dave Wandstedt has the same playoff predictions as me. I'll be wrong I guess 
indifferent.gif

He is listed at S but will drop down and play nickel with Hill coming in at S in those sets... Expect to see a lot with Utah on Thursday nite... Trying to find a good 5 back there

Ishmael Adams is likely going to be able to plead down to a drunk and disorderly conduct charge, a misdemeanor. He'll likely be suspended a few games, but remain on the team.

Word is that his bond was set at $100K so that the university wasn't showing any kind of favoritism for a football player.

Came just to post that Chris Brown 4-2-5 piece for @JPZx lol

Hard Knocks: Playing Defense With TCU’s Gary Patterson

gary-patterson-tcu.jpg

The Horned Frogs have a Heisman candidate at quarterback and a shiny no. 2 preseason ranking, but the main attraction in Fort Worth remains the innovative 4-2-5 defense that’s proven uniquely capable of slowing the no-huddle and spread

by CHRIS B. BROWN ON SEPTEMBER 1, 2015

Gary Patterson likes to say he “came the low road” on the way to becoming TCU’s head coach. Patterson didn’t get an early break with an NFL team or a major college program before joining the Horned Frogs, instead working his way up with gigs at places like Tennessee Tech, UC Davis, and Pittsburg State. “I am not saying anything bad about UC Davis,” Patterson has said. “But in South Carolina, they do not know where UC Davis is.” For Patterson, “the low road” represents more than the past; it represents his outlook on life: “I didn’t come the high road, I came the low road; I don’t care if I ever get on the freeway,” Patterson said during a heated press conference following a narrow loss to Baylor in 2013. “I didn’t build this program backing down to anybody. … Not in anything we do, not in recruiting, not in anything.”

That underdog mentality has fueled the occasionally prickly Patterson for much of his career, but TCU isn’t the underdog at the moment: On the heels of a 12-1 season, the Frogs are ranked no. 2 in the preseason AP poll, signaling their return to prominence after a bumpy beginning to their Big 12 tenure.

While last season’s resurgence was triggered in large part by the offense’s transformation into an Air Raid–infused powerhouse following Doug Meacham’s and Sonny Cumbie’s appointments as co–offensive coordinators and Trevone Boykin’s emergence at quarterback, the constant throughout Patterson’s 14-year head-coaching tenure has been his defense. The Frogs have led the nation in total defense four times under Patterson, and his defense was again championship-caliber in 2014, when TCU gave up the fewest rushing yards per play and tied for the most interceptions nationally. The Frogs also led the Big 12 in nearly every meaningful defensive category last year, including scoring defense, total defense, and pass efficiency defense.

TCU embarks on the 2015 campaign with a real shot at making the College Football Playoff and competing for the national title, but NFL and college coaches alike have their eyes on the Frogs for more fundamental reasons: Patterson’s masterwork is a morphing, multifarious 4-2-5 defense featuring five defensive backs and only two linebackers, and it’s uniquely designed to slow, and ideally stop, the offenses that have been bombarding defenses with a combination of spread formations, option (and run/pass option) football, and a frenzied no-huddle pace.

“I don’t think there’s any question about the fact that it’s more difficult to play defense,” Alabama coach Nick Saban said at SEC media days. “I think that’s why you see more points being scored, and I don’t think that trend’s going to change any time soon.” While other great coaches have been overhauling their defenses, however, Patterson has continued to rely on the 4-2-5 he developed precisely to combat the kinds of wide-open attacks now dominating football. Before one can understand why Patterson’s design might be the antidote to the problems posed by modern offenses, though, one first has to understand how his defense is built.

http://grantland.com/features/hard-knocks-playing-defense-with-tcus-gary-patterson/

But can he play any of them well?

Exactly... He is a huge unknown... Passes the looks test and all the rumblings are great, but the offseason All American talk means nothing... Excited to see him play and if he can stay healthy

ATS Pick Em Pool info:

Group ID#: 2513
Group Password: babe12
Confidence Points No
Spread Yes
Tiebreakers No
Start Week 1
Drop Scores No, use all weeks
Deadline 5 minutes before each game
Games To Include Use Yahoo default games

Went to join and it said 5'10 240 was already taken, then realized I already joined a couple months back :lol:

What were the standings last year? I forgot to check.

Back
Top Bottom