OFFICIAL 2015-2016 College Football Season Thread

Boss Tagaloa

CZHmOGMUEAA9bCm.jpg

Chip Kelly offered Lane Kiffin the 49ers OC job. Looks like he turned them down.

Last edited:
Looks like Kenechi Udeze is the next dline coach for USC. I'd like it if it ended up happening.

Send him across the country to go see Gary.

I'm shocked that's the move you like, it's getting mixed reviews.

Some calling it good because he's young and can relate along with having the NFL experience card. While others are saying its lazy and uninspired.

It was a "what choice did they have" type of hire. Goes along with what they have been doing.

USC shouldnt be a first job for any coach, in terms of coordinator or position coach, IMO. I love Tee Martin, for what he did, but him as an OC? Big gamble. Go to Kentucky and prove it there, than come here is how i think.

But thats what USC is about right now. They are going with that "family" mentality.

The only two hires I'm good with is Baxter (was tremendous for us last time around - special teams was noticeable) and Clancy (although the only thing i dislike about him is his dislike of recruiting - how, as a DC, do you only spend 5 minutes with Gary this past weekend? Stuff like that makes me wonder).

Everyone else falls in line with what we've done.

I think there's a reason why Callaway was at Western Kentucky. I'm intrigued with Tyson Helton.

The whole process of how USC hired their staff was a gamble to me. We're hoping to hit on a bunch of these guys. Perhaps we do.

I love KU the person. I think he can do ok as a position coach. Certain guys are position coaches, coordinators, and head coaches. Coach O was the epitome of a position coach. Thats what he's great at.

I was surprised Tosh was even mentioned. Loved that dude back when he was hot at Cal and went on to UW. But i remember he had some baggage but since Bama hired him, he's been cleared of any wrong doing. He would immediately become one of USC's top recruiters.

I just dont think anybody can be unhappy about the KU hire when thats pretty much the theme of Clay's staff. Its fitting.

I like the staff hires more than I like the head coach hire. What choice did we have when we hired Helton? My expectations on having a great staff diminished once Helton was given the job. What idiot with a big name would come to USC knowing Helton probably has a short leash? I'm not tying my name to him if i were a big name.

Once Helton was hired, I had to come to reality with my expectations on what he was going to do staff wise.

Last edited:
Tosh is a walking red flag anywhere outside the SEC. :lol:

Unfortunately it's not a "right now" thing, it's kind of always been an in house thing. Stick with what is familiar.

Dont think Helton has a short leash, 3-4 years minimum. Unless it's a headline disaster like CLK and Sark.

I agree with the short leash. It would look bad hiring another coach within 2 years. But i'm assuming its going to be a train wreck next year. Haden will be gone soon, and the new AD will want his own guy. Its inevitable.

Its funny, but i think Heltons *** really is tied to Max Browne. If he's the stud that i thought he would be coming out of high school, than we will be ok. If he's not, i see 8 wins next year. I just don't he has it upstairs to be a great QB. Seems a little too nice. Can he take control of the offense? 10 starters back, so he's really positioned extremely well to succeed.

Helton really just needs to make sure we win 9+ for the next couple of years.

Idk about being too nice. This weekend Max openly talked about how people pushed him to transfer out and it was a consideration but he ended up staying because he loved his teammates and coaches.

He also said, "it's weird because I was always one play away... But luckily Cody managed to stay healthy so it is what it is."

He's also been talking about September 3 (and Bama/Kiffin). He doesn't even consider Sam competition. Seems like he's got the instinct.

Last edited:
USC did a poor job of getting him more reps in live games. There were plenty of opportunities. Perhaps the coaches didnt want to show anything and to keep him under wraps.

I remember watching games of him in high school and thinking is that Peyton Manning out there ( in terms of how he controlled the offense, audibles at the line, and maybe his pencil neck).

I agree he should have gotten, at the very least, more 4th quarter reps. The games he did play, he'd come in and hand the ball off a dozen times then kneel.

But I'm not a coach. I don't know the best way to handle a backup QB situation. We also weren't in a lot of situations where he could get meaningful reps. Cody was a tough, durable kid and until this fall was considerably better in practice than Max. Short of running a two QB system I don't think we were comfortably ahead in enough games to throw him out there.

Hopefully it didn't stunt Max's growth.

Last edited:
i think we handled Max's real live game time "too classy."

He came in with big leads, and 10+ minutes left in the 4th and handed it off. In the SEC, they would have let him throw.

Not saying we should have been unclassy, but opposing coaches typically understand when a back up is in there (the starting QB of the future) and don't get too offended when they let them throw. I didnt need to see him throw TD's.

3 years is a lot of time to sit. But i do remember him at the Spring game. You can tell he can throw it around. I was impressed. That game was telling. I saw enough to know Ricky Towns was not going to last at this program. He was horrendous. Still surprised he was rated so high. The boy can't throw.

Bryce Dixon arrested for Carjacking near the USC campus.

This dude. Threw everything down the drain. This should seal it for him.

Thought he had all the tools coming in as a TE.

Back
Top Bottom