Official 2016 Boxing Thread: 11/5/2016 - Vargas/Pacquiao Top Rank PPV.

Martin's not getting a decision over there, and while there are some concerns about AJ's chin, I don't think Martin is talented enough to clip him. 

AJ is the better overall boxer( technique, skills, fundamentals) and stronger , no doubt. However, I question if most of his success is from him being the bigger and stronger guy in the ring. While Martin is not quite as big and strong as Joshua, Martin is more comparable in those areas than Joshua's previous opponents. I don't want to say that Joshua has been handed everything on a silver platter, but I don't think he's really been tested. I have doubts that Joshua knows how to swim if Martin drags him into deep water.

Last edited:
Not sure if anyone heard sas on first take, his take on AB was spot on basically saying he's not serious about boxing.And he has all the talent on the world and he's too late and won't be big time. His nickname problem is taking over his career inside and outside of the ring and his W wasn't impressive.

Lmfao PBF with the shade after the fight saying not sure wtf is he a gangsta a pronstar

Not sure if anyone heard sas on first take, his take on AB was spot on basically saying he's not serious about boxing.And he has all the talent on the world and he's too late and won't be big time.

Like I said a few weeks ago, AB is just another flashy, hood rich dude that happens to know how to box. He's not a boxer from the hood, big difference.

Can't wait to see him get washed a few times at 147.

Not sure if anyone heard sas on first take, his take on AB was spot on basically saying he's not serious about boxing.And he has all the talent on the world and he's too late and won't be big time. His nickname problem is taking over his career inside and outside of the ring and his W wasn't impressive.

Lmfao PBF with the shade after the fight saying not sure wtf is he a gangsta a pronstar

I agree with this assessment. My biggest problem with Broner is that I don't think he wants to be great. Like a lot of people in the world, he wants the fruits of greatness without paying the price to be great. I just rewatched the Ponce de Leon fight and Broner has actually regressed since that time. Ponce de Leon was pressuring him all night and similar to the Maidana and Porter fights, he couldn't seem to let his hands go. The irony is that the commentators were saying the same things 5 years ago about Broner. "He has all of the tools".

Broner has like 3 tools and he's outgrown the weight classes where he actually has a size advantage.

Bob Arum has given up on his persistent quest to make a junior lightweight bout between WBO featherweight titleholder Vasyl Lomachenko and former champ Nicholas Walters on June 11 at Madison Square Garden on HBO.

Arum is now trying to finalize a bout between Lomachenko and Puerto Rico’s Roman “Rocky” Martinez for his WBO junior lightweight title on the same date, venue and network after Walters priced himself out of the matchup, Arum told RingTV.com on Wednesday. 

“That’s the direction we’re headed,” Arum said from Las Vegas, where he is busy promoting Manny Pacquiao’s third fight with Timothy Bradley on Saturday. “That’s the fight we’re trying to make. It no longer involves Walters.”

Arum had been trying to shop Lomachenko-Walters to Showtime in February in a bid to make the financials work. Arum said that Walters purse demands were too high, and Martinez (29-2-3, 17 knockouts) is a more economically reasonable option for the two-time Ukrainian Olympic gold medalist Lomachenko (5-1, 3 KOs). Walters was asking for $1 million to fight Lomachenko, which was basically the amount of money that HBO had budgeted for the entire fight, Arum said.

Even when Walters lowered his asking price and Lomachenko offered to give Walters $300,000 from his $850,000 purse if Walters won — a deal couldn’t be reached. And so Arum, who is celebrating the 50th  anniversary of his first boxing promotion, will now look to Martinez to fill the void. Martinez kept his title after reaching a split draw with Orlando Salido in their Sept. rematch.

The June 11 co-feature at MSG’s Theater will star the highly-regarded lightweight Felix Verdejo (20-0, 14 KOs) against Jose Felix Jr. (33-1-1, 25 KOs) in a step-up fight, Arum said. Verdejo also has a scheduled April 16 bout in San Juan, Puerto Rico to get through.

Arum is also working on a deal for Terence Crawford and Viktor Postol to meet in a highly-attractive junior welterweight unification match on July 23 on HBO PPV with the MGM Grand emerging as the new favorite to host the bout after he had previously mentioned the Staples Center in Los Angeles as a leading candidate. “Nothing is done but we’re getting there,” Arum said of reaching a deal with the MGM Grand.   
http://ringtv.craveonline.com/news/...oman-martinez-on-june-11#.VwagUuoA968.twitter

Steve Kim ‏@steveucnlive  19m19 minutes ago
So Top Rank and Mikey Garcia have reached a settlement and can go on with their lives.    #boxing
The Mexican Andre Ward 
laugh.gif

mean.gif

Really wanted to see that Lomacgenko-Walters fight to happen in June :smh:
"Axe Man" don't want these Ukrainian problems. Lomachenko very publicly offered an extra $300,000 if Walters beat him, all to get the fight done. $550K from TR, by far a career-high purse for Walters, plus the $300K "win bonus." It would be Vasyl's first bout at 130 pounds too.

"Rocky" made all too much sense to go with Verdejo with the PR Parade that June weekend. Definitely attending to see my boy "Hi-Tech" put on another technical clinic.

I'm giving Dominic Wade the benefit of the doubt for his performance in the Soliman fight because Soliman has an awkward style. I hope he brings more to the table for GGG.

Pac talking about guys he grew up watching

Will (Tallahassee, FL)

Do you think the Crawford-Postol PPV will be the same price as a normal Pac Man or Mayweather-type PPV? I would think they would have to adjust the price a little based on the fighters not being that widely known.

Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak  (12:07 PM)

Well let's slow down a minute. Late last night, I spoke to Crawford team and was told point blank Crawford is not taking the fight because he is very unhappy with the money. It's seven figures but not enough for him. And since it's a small PPV that is a terrific main but one that likely would not sell more than 125k buys MAX Top Rank's numbers are very tight and they are apart by several hundred thousand dollars. Someone will have to make a huge concession or there won't be a Crawford PPV on July 23.

David (ire) [via mobile]

Santa cruz vs frampton a realistic possibility for the summer?

Dan Rafael, King Fight Freak  (12:38 PM)

The fight is made and will be either in late July or early August.

Last edited:
Trying to make Crawford vs Postol a PPV was ridiculous in the first place. Unless Arum was gonna stack the undercard, which I seriously doubt.

Trying to make Crawford vs Postol a PPV was ridiculous in the first place. Unless Arum was gonna stack the undercard, which I seriously doubt.

Both of these guys are too dry to be a true superstar. It would need to be a co-main event with something like Lomachenko vs Walters in order for me to open my wallet.

I'm no gambler, so I may be reading the odds wrong, but is Vegas actually saying Manny is the favorite tomorrow night??? I don't think he has a chance in this one. Dude's washed.

Back
Top Bottom