OFFICIAL 2016 RIO SUMMER OLYMPICS THREAD (Rio is a wrap; See you in Tokyo in 2020 (or, more likely,i

Missy is off the 4 x 200 relay.. they must be going for the world record

She'll still get a gold medal for swimming in the prelim.. but they went with the dirado who is swimming really well and probably has a higher ceiling in the 200 free right now

Missy messed up with her decision to not go pro after London. That's become embarrassingly obvious at this point.

Was kinda sad seeing all the commercials that featured her and lochte prior and during the US trials..

Lochte was a solid 2nd to phelps in the 200 IM (his only individual event).. but barely qualified for the 4 x200 relay (they take the top 6 finishers in the event)

Missy barely made it in both of her individual events.. and 1 of those was the 200 free.. usually the top 2 are guaranteed onto the relay.. but she has been swimming so poorly they made her try to earn it in the prelims and she didnt

What are the downsides of turning pro early as a swimmer?

Miss out on that college team environment.. most meets are duel meets so you got the whole team backing you and got relays.. lighter stuff that makes the hard work fun

but you get that at worlds and olympics too.. but if you go pro you get money and sponsors.. get to travel.. kinda like track now where they have meets all over europe where you can win decent money

They were talking about ledecky not going pro and missing out on $3-5 million.

Miss out on that college team environment.. most meets are duel meets so you got the whole team backing you and got relays.. lighter stuff that makes the hard work fun

but you get that at worlds and olympics too.. but if you go pro you get money and sponsors.. get to travel.. kinda like track now where they have meets all over europe where you can win decent money

^ ummmmm.. Good question.. you hope to get signed by one of the big swimwear manufacturers (speedo, arena, tyr.. Adidas is speeding money now too)

Then just like track you travel and make appearances and hit meets that have purses

They were talking about ledecky not going pro and missing out on $3-5 million.

Easily.. With how dominant she was before the Olympics.. How dominant she has been in the Olympics

Sponsors would have been lined up to get her and she has a window of about a month or 2 after the games to sell high.. So the window starts about a month before trials since NBC gotta sell add space for that and they just want to carry that through to the Olympics then when they're showing up on talk shows and all that and people still remember them

- goes for track and gymnastics folks too.. Or anyone else where average joes only think about these people every 4 years

Bolt is probably the only one at the games that really really really is a name and face outside of an Olympic year to warrant top dollar in a non Olympic year.. But the rest they gotta get paid in that Olympic window

Phelps is almost there.. But not really

I'd probably put Alyson Felix above phelps in non Olympic year marketablity

The rest no where close (obviously not including basketball, golf or tennis people)

Last edited:
Against any other team Switzerland would've won this set already. US's defense is insane.

I shall be back..

She gotta have some serious support going to keep them puppies at bay.. Impressive she's playing this sport with them

Last edited:
Wow. This game is lit. First the number 2 ranked team loses and now number 3 is in trouble.

Watch Simone Manuel in the 1st heat of semis for the 100, ledecky will be at Stanford with next year (along with Lia Neal)

Could have 3 members of team USA's 2020 women's 4 X 100 free relay competing with each other day in and day out.. Hell, could be 3 members of the 4 X 200 too

Last edited:
My dude Ryan Murphy looked smooth in the 200 back semi.. I think he wins gold and breaks the Olympic record tomorrow night.. Don't think he can get that world record though..

Rooting hard for my dudes dressel and condorelli in the 100 free final.. But I think the gold is a fight between Adrian and mcevoy.. But I hope 1 of my dudes could pick up that bronze or maybe shock everyone

Gold at 18 in that race :wow:

Didn't see that coming.. Mcevoy was over a second slower than he was at the Australian olympic trials.. Most of the Australian team is having a horrible meet

Mcevoy is supposedly sick though, he was supposed to be on Australia's 4 X 200 relay last night and if he was they probably win the silver (he won the 200 at their trials and had one of the top times in the world in that too)

Last edited:
Gold at 18 in that race
eek.gif

Didn't see that coming.. Mcevoy was over a second slower than he was at the Australian olympic trials.. Most of the Australian team is having a horrible meet

Mcevoy is supposedly sick though, he was supposed to be on Australia's 4 X 200 relay last night and if he was they probably win the silver (he won the 200 at their trials and had one of the top times in the world in that too)

Back
Top Bottom