Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

Wake me up when the Knicks become relevant again.

The presser did nothing for me. I feel like it's the same old "let's get hyped for change, only to be disappointed later on" scenario.
Exactly.

Got nothing against Fiz but I am so indifferent to all of it. Only thing interesting was the arguing and reaching on both sides about who we should hire and how race became part of discussion.

I did say Horny was coaching like he wanted to be fired but I was not really looking forward to the search for a new coach, that fresh start talk. Team is rebuilding and will suck anyway.

Seems dudes are gonna spend their time complimenting Fiz for how he coaches since they've had such trash in the past. Only thing that makes it worse is alleged Knicks fan d-riding other teams and sounding bitter and jealous about it.

Last edited:
**** these press conferences. Every coach/GM we have ever had has come in with that new car smell. Nobody has come in disliked, there's never been a "this guy shouldn't have been hired" or "the last guy shouldn't have been fired." It's always "this guy is already better than X" at the beginning. Then we gradually start to fall off on whoever it is. And once the whispers start coming it's usually a pretty rapid decline from there. Then we look back years later and start to think that maybe the guy before them wasn't actually that bad to begin with.

We've seen that happen recently just in my lifetime watching this team with Lenny Wilkins, Pringles, Woody, even Isiah to a lesser extent (for young, naive fans who think he was worse than Phil was). I'm sorry I just honestly don't see David Fizdale and Steve ******* Mills being the ones to end that cycle. Hope I'm wrong.

**** Mills regardless though. The others can win me over but you don't get to be a Dolan loyalist since 1999 and take credit when/if things get good for 2 seconds.

Last edited:
I agree but this time feels different. The Fizdale hire was universally praised by players & media. Can't say the same about Hornacek or Fisher.

I'll probably be wrong but if we keep building the team the right way, Fiz could be here for a while.

I agree but this time feels different. The Fizdale hire was universally praised by players & media. Can't say the same about Hornacek or Fisher.

I'll probably be wrong but if we keep building the team the right way, Fiz could be here for a while.
Can't necessarily think of an example where players praised a coaching hire to the extent they have with Fixdale, but both the Hornacek and Fisher hirings had alot of backing among fans and media members at the time.

I mean Fisher was universally respected by the basketball community before he left here a broken outcast with a reputation that might prevent NBA teams from ever touching him again, plus he was "Phil's guy." And Hornacek got alot of praise due to being smart, charismatic, and his ability to maximize the Suns teams he coached. Which he actually did MUCH better than Fizdale did during that one year in Memphis, which has been completely blown out of proportion, like he coached a perennial bottom feeder to 50+ wins and not a team coming off 6 consecutive postseason appearances under 2 different coaches to 43 wins.

Phil Jackson, Donnie Walsh, Mike D'Antoni, Larry Brown, Isiah were all universally hailed by the basketball world. Fans and media alike. More so than Fizdale. But I guess those are different since they all were bigger names and came in MUCH more already established than Fizdale.

Again, I hope I'm wrong, I just dont see it and Im not letting myself get worked up again. There are just too many negative signs and nothing positive enough to make me think this is the management team that breaks the cycle. Fizdale, to me, hasn't actually proven **** besides positive word-of-mouth from superstars and comes with more questions than answers. And as I've said 10,000x, us having Steve Mills running this franchise is utterly ridiculous.

This team hasn't and probably won't ever accomplish **** with James Dolan still pulling the strings, and Mills on top proves that is still the case. Maybe you want to argue that he hasn't interfered much so far, but if that even is the case, history tells us that will change with time. Dolan has broken vows of full autonomy before, and he hasn't even vowed it this time around. His #2 sits atop the throne and is publicly involved in the decision making process on basketball matters. Again, same guy who hired Isiah Thomas we're talking about here.

I don't see it from this regime. Regimes with alot less question marks coming in than this one has, have walked through these doors and have been disastrous. I could much easier picture us looking back in 5 years calling Fizdale an over-hyped phony, Perry a dude over his head who was only hired because he was willing to report to Mills as opposed to other more qualified candidates, and wondering what in the **** we were ever thinking letting Steve Mills run this team than I can picturing this being the unit to finally turn us around.

Only saving grace they have is that they will have an ascending Porzingis and some other young talent to work with. So that is by far the best situation coming into things than any other regime has had to deal with.

Last edited:
It's absolutely unreal to me how we are now a full ******* decade past Donnie Walsh and the Knicks are still introducing a new regime talking about "shortcuts" and "cutting corners" being made in the past and the need for patience a real rebuild "the right way."

Not saying that I disagree in the slightest, just that I find it hilarious that we are now a DECADE later and we have a new regime preaching exactly what Donnie said verbatim because nothing really changed for the most part. :lol::smh:

The crazy thing is half this thread was ready to start slobbing off Jay wright who has proven nothing at the NBA level but are knocking Fiz who has a successful NBA pedigree black marked by him beefing with Marc Gasol. How many College coaches that were the best in College failed in the NBA?!?!

The crazy thing is half this thread was ready to start slobbing off Jay wright who has proven nothing at the NBA level but are knocking Fiz who has a successful NBA pedigree black marked by him beefing with Marc Gasol. How many College coaches that were the best in College failed in the NBA?!?!

Stop.making.sense

I don’t really who our coach is, as long as we win. BUT college coaches don’t translate well to the NBA, because they don’t have the same power. Coaches recruit players that will fit their system, and they get new players pretty much every year. If you have bad roster in the NBA, you’re stuck. That can be said for any incoming coach that doesn’t have input on personnel. Unless you’re a great coach off the bat, the players are who generate the wins. Pop does very well because he has an input on his system AND the players on the roster. Jay Wright, Fiz, Pop, it doesn’t matter because our roster is trash right now and plug and play with any of those names will have marginal success over the other.

Honestly, who knows ? Frank stay tired and Fiz kept using the word "working tirelessly" during the press conference

Back
Top Bottom