Official 2017-2018 Knicks season thread

They're averaging the same amount of assists and DS Jr is an active defender.
Listen, I wasnt one of those guys clamoring for Dennis Smith Jr. I actually wanted Monk the most with Frank 2nd and Dennis 3rd. But I am big fans of all of them and said numerous times leading up to the draft that I would be happy with any of the 3.

Dennis certainly has his strengths over Frank, but it is definitely not his passing and his defense. Yes he is averaging as many assists per Frank (.1 less actually) but doing so in nearly 10 more minutes per game and a usage rate more than 10% higher, so let's not act like that 5 APG is the same for Dennis as it is for Frank. As for defense, Dennis isn't nearly on Frank's level nor will he ever be, just like Frank will never come close to matching Dennis' explosiveness.

Dennis is a great scoring point guard who isnt a great defender but has freakish explosiveness/athleticism. Frank is a pass-first point guard who is a freakishly good defender and doesnt have great athleticism/explosiveness (makes up for it with height/length though). Not even saying who is worse or better, those are just facts, just as they were facts before the draft. You can state your claim for Dennis without trying to act like they are on the same class as far as passing and defense is concerned.

They are 2 talented young guards with potential.

Y'all are happy with Frank, that's all that matters.

DS Jr is making a name for himself one game at a time and some will think he's the better player, I'm in that camp. I think he can be one of the peskiest perimeter defenders if he keeps showing the same type of defensive energy he has so far. Had 2 blocks x 2 steals tonight.

Frank looking more like a Rondo type player, good passer and defenders but not a great scorer. His form looks better than Rondo's so that can change but I saw him pull up from the midrange tonight and he looked totally uncomfortable, looks lost trying to slash too. He'll get better with time, no doubt but right now DS Jr is the better player.

KP looking like the MVP tho. I couldn't have been more wrong about him.

They are 2 talented young guards with potential.

Y'all are happy with Frank, that's all that matters.

DS Jr is making a name for himself one game at a time and some will think he's the better player, I'm in that camp. I think he can be one of the peskiest perimeter defenders if he keeps showing the same type of defensive energy he has so far. Had 2 blocks x 2 steals tonight.

Frank looking more like a Rondo type player, good passer and defenders but not a great scorer. His form looks better than Rondo's so that can change but I saw him pull up from the midrange tonight and he looked totally uncomfortable, looks lost trying to slash too. He'll get better with time, no doubt but right now DS Jr is the better player.

KP looking like the MVP tho. I couldn't have been more wrong about him.

Is dude talking per 36 with those numbers?

Dude isn't even close to 20,5 & 5

The traditional pg position has changed as much as the traditional big man position has changed. Frank is a traditional pg so you'll need an agessive sg to pair with him in this new age. He can be a successful player but not in the definition of a current pg who puts offensive pressure on the defense. Frank is definitely showing some promise now that he's been able to stay healthy for a stretch.

The traditional pg position has changed as much as the traditional big man position has changed. Frank is a traditional pg so you'll need an agessive sg to pair with him in this new age. He can be a successful player but not in the definition of a current pg who puts offensive pressure on the defense. Frank is definitely showing some promise now that he's been able to stay healthy for a stretch.
There is absolutely nothing "traditional" about Frank Ntilikina.

Also, he was a 40% 3-point shooter in France so I don't foresee Rondo-esque lack of shooting holding him back.

dsjr is a good player maybe even better than frank but hes not what we need... this team lacks defense and a point guard who thinks pass first and thats exactly what frank does... and he can shoot also but he needs to be more consistent with it.. dsjr puts up good numbers but not necessarily make anyone better look at rose when he was here...

KP is our guy
The #1
He has the keys

Frank is the perfect PG to compliment him as a second option
DSJr. would be detrimental to KPs game the exact same way Rose was and I don’t think you can build around a guy like him as a #1 option
The Mavs are making that mistake and everyone else is blinded by the few highlight plays he has

Everyone who is infatuated with DSJr. will learn in about 2-3 years how one dimensional the kid really is and that he’ll always be that same type of player

Last edited:
Right now DSJ>Frank, I wanted us to pick him. A lot of us get too gassed up after a few good games. But in a few years tho if Frank can develop a reliable offensive game watch out. Either way he's just 19 got a lot of time to develop.

I know a lot of us are against it but how can you not think long and hard (no homo) about stretching Noah?

#BobbyBonillaDay

As a Knicks fan, you're obligated to board the hype train good sir.

giphy.gif

Great showing last night. KP looking great. Glad to admit I was initially wrong about him. Still not boarding the Knicks hype train 12 games into the season tho. Y’all wild.
I'm holding out in the excitement too. Still love them but can't show it. I don't want to be let down so early in the season. My full jumping on point is around Christmas smh.

Side note, Hardaway is very frustrating, a true chucker. It seems like he has shown up for 3 games or so this year. As of now, hate the signing for how much he was given. Your the 72 million dollar man, you need to hit shots when your wide open.

Man listen, we can be completely supportive and excited about what Frank has to offer while still being truthful about DSJr. Saying he's a better fit for this team is not honest. We drafted Frank to run the triangle. We are no longer running the triangle. Hornacek wants to run an uptempo style offense. He's been complaining about us not playing uptempo all year. DSJr would've been a great fit. The comparison to D Rose is laughable. As someone mentioned DSJr is looking like the complete package. But I also like having a dog on defense who can initiate offense without trying to do too much. If Frank can find his offense we will be fine. But anyone saying he's the better of the two right now is lying to themselves. I'm in Frank's corner but he's gotta show me something. That big three the other day was a start. He's been a little shaky against a good press. Also needs to work on his slashing. Both of these guys are young. We won't really know what we have until they have a couple seasons under their belt.

And speaking of seasons under their belt, who could've seen such a leap from KP. The narrative going is that Melo leaving has given KP an opportunity to flourish but I disagree, slightly. While obviously he's getting the rock much more, the quality of his touches have gotten way way better. He's more composed, he's picking his spots, he's making quick decisions, and he's got an arsenal of new moves. Many he took from Melo. It's fun as hell to watch KP operate. He's a matchup nightmare and he knows it now. Shooting over, around and through defenders at will. He's gotta be in the running for not only MVP but also MIP, along with Oladipo and Aaron Gordon. And there's still room to improve. Phil Jackson lucked up on a great one. We've got to keep him happy at all costs.

That Mavs roster is pretty trash so I won't expect much from dude so early into his career on a bad team. However, down the line as Cuban starts building a team and adding talent, I'll critique DSJr based on what he does with his career, same as I will with Frank. You can average 25/9/7 but if you're 7 years into the league and haven't won a playoff series then nobody cares

There is absolutely nothing "traditional" about Frank Ntilikina.

Also, he was a 40% 3-point shooter in France so I don't foresee Rondo-esque lack of shooting holding him back.
Absolutely nothing is traditional about Frank is a reach because he definitely does not fit the mold of the current pgs running the NBA. Frank could be referred to as a black Hornacek if we gonna reach :lol: By saying he's a traditional pg is not a knock but a compliment in the way I was trying to describe.

Back
Top Bottom