OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Clemson's class is gonna be insane. Only gonna be like 15 kids but the quality will be silly
Dabo has been recruiting really well. Kinda curious how the whole QB thing pans out since they look like they're pretty deep from what I recall. Not like RB where you're rotating guys in and out.
Better work on that 2018 class
laugh.gif
. Al Golden used to load up on early commits for the next class when he couldn't recruit the current year well too.

FSU spring game on ESPN right now.
Ain't that the truth. If we went by early class projections before the singed the dotted line, Alabama would be terrible. Saban classes usually closes with a flurry leap frogs 3/4 spots in the final weeks. Seems like a lot of programs start off the recruiting process strong, only to see the usual suspects closing out the Top 10 as kids re-evaluate things. Alabama, tOSU, FSU, Oklahoma, USC, LSU etc etc. Michigan seems like they're going to part of that list from year-to-year with Harbaugh at the helm.
A lot can change in 2 years, I don't ever believe them cruits till they step foot on campus
Exactly. These kids are fickle at times or scared to disappoint others. At the end of the day, even signing doesn't matter if their grades are trash. Who was that knucklehead WR near LA that switched like 3 times in 2 weeks/month and I believe he settled on Nebraska after announcing on TV he was going to Oregon State?

Clemson's class is gonna be insane. Only gonna be like 15 kids but the quality will be silly

Dabo has been recruiting really well. Kinda curious how the whole QB thing pans out since they look like they're pretty deep from what I recall. Not like RB where you're rotating guys in and out.

Better work on that 2018 class :lol: . Al Golden used to load up on early commits for the next class when he couldn't recruit the current year well too.

FSU spring game on ESPN right now.

Ain't that the truth. If we went by early class projections before the singed the dotted line, Alabama would be terrible. Saban classes usually closes with a flurry leap frogs 3/4 spots in the final weeks. Seems like a lot of programs start off the recruiting process strong, only to see the usual suspects closing out the Top 10 as kids re-evaluate things. Alabama, tOSU, FSU, Oklahoma, USC, LSU etc etc. Michigan seems like they're going to part of that list from year-to-year with Harbaugh at the helm.
[thread="651963"] [/thread]
A lot can change in 2 years, I don't ever believe them cruits till they step foot on campus

Exactly. These kids are fickle at times or scared to disappoint others. At the end of the day, even signing doesn't matter if their grades are trash. Who was that knucklehead WR near LA that switched like 3 times in 2 weeks/month and I believe he settled on Nebraska after announcing on TV he was going to Oregon State?
Keyshawn Johnson Jr.? And it was just him following mike Riley?

Last edited:
 Phil Mackey‏Verified account @PhilMackey  Apr 6
 Heard last night ESPN will to run a multi-part feature on P.J. Fleck and the Gophers in the coming weeks/months. Picked Gophs over Clemson

Long observation post, I'm willing to bet one of our QBs transfers (most likely Martell):

"Recruits I saw:

2018 ATH Jaelen Gill (committed)
2018 LB Teradja Mitchell (offered)
2018 OL William Barnes (offered)
2018 DB Tre Douglas (offered)
2018 WR Xavier Johnson
2019 DE Stephen Herron (offered)
2019 DB Moses Douglass
2019 OL/DL Isaiah Gibson
2020 ATH Mike Drennen

Onto the scrimmage....

- No Demetrius Knox today. We didn't see him anywhere, Burrell running with the 1's at RG.

- Jonathon Cooper back in action and looked good. Made a couple of tackles and would have had at least one, maybe two, sacks if the QB's weren't in black no contact jerseys.

- Kendall Sheffield was there but was held out. Binjimen Victor also appeared to be limited.

- It was essentially the Dwayne Haskins and Joe Burrow show. J.T. Barrett got some snaps, but the staff used the scrimmage to get Haskins and Burrow each a ton of reps with a mixture of backs and receivers.

- Haskins was tremendous. Was dropping deep balls right in the bucket. Even though he is wearing a no-contact jersey, there are still live bullets flying around and a a real pass rush coming and he did an excellent job of keeping his eyes down field, feeling the pressure and stepping up and delivering accurate throws. He did take off a couple of times when the middle of the field was wide open.

- Haskins threw a deep ball right on the money to Terry McLaurin with Erick Smith providing good coverage, Smith was able to pull it out of McLaurin's hands on the way to the ground. That has to be a catch in September.

- Haskins later dropped one in the bucket on Dixon, went off his finger tips. Tougher catch, but still one you'd like to see made.

- Haskins threw a beautiful deep post corner right on the money to Luke Farrell who did catch it and score.

- I know you guys love the speed option. They added a wrinkle to it today, showed speed option with Haskins and ran an end around the other way with it, picked up about 15 yards.

- Haskins later made a great TD throw into the back of the end zone. I was blocked from seeing who caught it, someone said it was Farrell again, but I'm not positive on that. Was at the far end of the field and the whole team came together afterwards for circle drill so I couldn't see through the traffic.

- I'd rate Haskins' performance today at about 9.5 out of 10, very, very strong.

- If Haskins was a 9.5, Burrow was at least an 8.5, maybe a 9. He was also very sharp. Threw a beautiful deep ball to Dixon for a touchdown. Like with the deep throws Haskins was making, the coverage was actually good, just a perfect throw.

- Burrow threw a strike to A.J. Alexander on a deep out cut, hit him in stride and he was able to turn up field for more yardage. Big play there. At least 20 yards, maybe more.

- Whether it was Burrow or Haskins or the limited time we saw from Barrett, KJ Hill was making a lot of plays underneath. Just 5-10 yard type of plays but he just has a feel for finding open space over the middle.

- Not a great day for Brendon White who had a couple of catches but a few drops, one on a deep ball from Haskins, one in the corner of the end zone from Haskins, another later from Burrow. Still adjusting to the speed of the game, you have to really get your head around and be ready to catch the ball, because it's going to be right on you when you turn.

- If Trevon Grimes would have been there today, I think he would have been licking his chops. Outside receivers left some plays on the field for sure. Slots and tight ends were excellent.

- Solid day from Erick Smith who had the PBU I mentioned above on McLaurin and came all the way across the field horizontally to make a PBU near the corner of the end zone on a ball that was a bit behind the receiver.

- Jahsen Wint with a nice play from his safety position, almost jumped a curl route for a pick six, but made the PBU.

- Both Burrow and Haskins threw an INT and it was nearly identical in how it happened. Both in the back of the end zone (Burrow's more towards the corner) where there was only a defender present. Would have to know more about the play call/design to determine if it was the QB or the receivers fault on both. Booker got Burrow and Okudah got Haskins. But clearly on both there was a miscommunication between QB and WR's.

- Michael Hill had a 'sack' of JT Barrett. Grabbed him as he was throwing it away, but would have been a sack in live action. Damn near beat the snap to Barrett, burst right through.

- Isaiah Prince was solid today, I know that's a cause of concern for OSU fans. Also had a source at practice today tell me he's been coming along nicely this spring, so we'll see where this goes.

Red Zone notes

The end of practice was red zone work with the QB's taking a full rotation, meaning Barrett, Burrow, Haskins, and Martell (who I don't recall getting a single rep during live scrimmage) all got reps in order.

- Barrett's rotation was pretty flawless. Hit Hill underneath for a short gain, found McCall for a touchdown along the sideline, blown coverage as nobody was near him.

- Defense won Burrow's series. He did hit EGW for what would have been a first down but was called back for offensive PI (pick, I think).

- Haskins' series was the pick to Okudah with the miscommunication.

- Offense scored with Martell, mostly Antonio Williams on the ground, he had an 11 yard touchdown run.

- They put the ball on the 11 for some more red zone work for Martell and he found Farrell over the middle in the back of the end zone for a touchdown.

- Not a ton of work for the RB's today. Dobbins looks extremely explosive, very quick. If there's a knock there, he's almost going too fast sometimes. But he definitely has the look.

- McCall made a few nice catches out the backfield, a couple of nice runs but nothing earth-shattering, certainly looks the part though.

- Williams got a lot of the between the tackles carries today and had a few nice runs as well, including that 11-yard TD in red zone work."

I don't (but kinda do) wanna know what Clemson had to ante up to land Xavier Thomas. Because S. Car was offering him (and his family) pretty much the world to don the maroon and black.

When they lose out on Zion Willamson too next year they might just burn the state down.

I don't (but kinda do) wanna know what Clemson had to ante up to land Xavier Thomas. Because S. Car was offering him (and his family) pretty much the world to don the maroon and black.

When they lose out on Zion Willamson too next year they might just burn the state down.

First hand accounts of the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr.

http://www.foxsports.com/college-fo...-darnold-spring-practice-bruce-feldman-040917
Former Trojans QB Max Browne reflects on ‘weird’ time at USC

In December, he opted to transfer and picked Pitt over Boston College and Fresno State. But even after deciding on the Panthers, there was an additional curveball thrown his way too. When Browne visited Pitt in mid-December, he met with OC Matt Canada. Less than 72 hours after Browne left Pittsburgh he started hearing rumors that Canada was in the mix to become LSU’s new offensive coordinator and sure enough, that’s what happened. Head coach Pat Narduzzi assured Browne he’d keep the same style of offense and the QB felt comfortable enough to keep his commitment.

“I’m used to having a bunch of coaches,” Browne told FOX Sports. “I figured I’ll take my chances and adapt.”

Browne actually had earned his degree in communications in three years and could’ve left USC as a grad transfer before the 2015 season, which is one theory some Trojan fans floated when Darnold wasn’t named the starter coming out of fall camp. Browne told FOX Sports this week that if he hadn’t been named the opening-day starter he would’ve explored transfer options.

“My family had all those scenarios pointed out,” he said. “I think I had three or four days of that buffer from when (head coach Clay Helton) said he was gonna name a starter ’til the start of school. Once I stepped foot in class, I’m locked in. If he didn’t announce me, I definitely would’ve seen ‘Hey who needs an emergency QB?’ and searched for sure at that point in my career. You gotta play. I’d been sitting long enough but I will say that coming into that meeting, I knew that I’d won the job. I knew I’d outplayed him in fall camp whether that was what they wanted. I knew I did. I think at the time, it wasn’t really a surprise. But things happen for a reason.”

In his three starts, Browne went 55-of-87 for 477 yards with two touchdowns and two interceptions while the team averaged 20 ppg. In Darnold’s 10 starts, the Trojans averaged 39 ppg.

Asked why he thinks things didn’t work out for him with the Trojans, Browne pauses a few moments before answering, “That’s a gooooood question.”

“I think I was kinda the guy that got the short end of the stick from a program that was in a tough situation. Obviously, Sam is the big name right now but if you look at our team after three weeks, it wasn’t a one player thing or one person issue. They felt they had to make a change and I got the short end of the stick. But it is what it is. I roll with that. I get it. I was pumped to see my guys do well. It was a tough one but that chapter is still open and still being written.”

Browne, who had won USC’s Bob Chandler Award — honoring the underclassman with outstanding athletic ability, academic achievement and character — said the low point came later in the season “when the dialogue starts being ‘SC isn’t playing for a national championship because of Max Browne.’ That eats at you. I don’t think that was the case. I truly don’t. But when that is what the world thinks–and people at SC know that’s not really the case and I’ve had people there text me that, thanking me, it motivates you and pisses you off at the same time. It puts a weird close to that chapter. At the end of the day, I’m happy that it did turn into a Rose Bowl for my best friends and all of my roommates. I was pumped for them when Matt (Boermeester) made the (game-winning) kick. They’ve been on the same roller coaster too. For them to end on that was pretty sweet.”

Last edited:
There's delusional fans....and then there are delusional weirdo message board fans.

There are Gamecock fans who believe that Clemson had to do all of this in order to land Xavier Thomas' (5* DE that just committed to clem) over USCe :

1. Buy his dad's (who's currently in the feds) pressure washing company.
2. After purchasing it, agreeing to have set it up to where they will launder money through the business.
3. Give XT and his family money (Blah, what else is new.)
And here is my favorite
4. GET HIS FATHER OUT OF FEDERAL PRISON 2 YEARS EARLY ON A 7 YR SENTENCE

All that to land a kid from the state over ******* South Carolina

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

giphy.gif

I've fallen for some crazy **** in my day (Hello Aaron Lynch) but that might take the cake

Last edited:
laugh.gif
 Probably the wildest recruiting conspiracy theory that I've ever read. It's like He Got Game meets Breaking Bad. 

Oh so y'all didn't read any of that Marlon Tuipulotu **** that the UDub 247 admin was spewing.

Claimed our OLB coach was committing federal fraud to expedite immigration papers, for a kid who is an American citizen, illegally hired that kid's brother as a support staff member, and also smashed dude's mom to seal the deal. And that the kid wept and called UW coaches to say he didn't want to be forced to go to USC.

Like reported that trash.

Marlon enrolled early and blocked her number.

Upon further review, never mind, that doesn't even rise to the level of money laundering an accused crime kingpin's ill begotten power wash funds to get a LOI 
laugh.gif

Not even a LOI just a "commitment". Kid's still a liability to flip anytime between now and December probably.

The fan fiction when Zion leaves the state is probably going to be 30 for 30 worthy :lol:

Nothing is topping A&M doing a year long documentary on Brandon Jones only for him to sign with Texas.

Back
Top Bottom