OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Well the enablement of his behavior at UF certainly didn't help, but Chico might have been too far gone by then for anyone to really help him.

Sad dude's life turned out the way it did after his father died.

CoachingSearch.com‏ @coachingsearch  13m13 minutes ago
 Lane Kiffin: "I'm not big on humiliating assistant coaches in front of everybody.”
laugh.gif

Drew Brees didn't run the spread in HS.
I think Todd Dodge went from Soutlhake to Westlake
With a stop at North Texas in between, that's right... 

There's nowhere in the country that has better HS resources than Texas... The stadiums are easy examples. Every HS in Arlington and throughout the metroplex is building massive indoor practice/training facilities for fall/summer workouts when the temperatures rise. 

Damn near every large HS in the state considers itself or wants to be a football powerhouse, and they invest as such.

Mike Riley‏Verified account @Coach_Riley  2h2 hours ago
 We met with the QBs and explained the importance of defining a starter at this time. Tanner Lee is our top QB heading into the summer.

Which is a product of the proliferation of the "spread" right?  

The state wasn't producing as much talent at QB, WR, and DB when the veer and wishbone were popping down there as they do now. 
http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/arms-race/

Interesting read. Kinda lengthy, but touches on the 7-on-7. Seems like 7-on-7 was something ushered into TX by John Mackovic in '92 when he was trying to figure out why CA was so much further ahead at producing NFL QBs than TX. 

UH was running the R&S offense but it was still in an era where they majority of the teams were running wishbone or I formations.

After Mangino & Leach's OU Air Raid bombed the B12 in 2000 within 5 years damn near every team in the conference was running some type of spread.

Now somebody can give Briles or Ledbetter or any other HS coach the credit for whatever spread they ran during their heyday but to me imo Mangino & Leach changed they whole dynamic of this state and that impact is still being felt for almost 20 years now.
Your theory certainly has credence. I've read several articles over the years in passing, no pun intended, or just clicking on stuff that led me to an article discussing the Spread in TX HS football, but it was never a subject I purposely searched for. Anyway, your comment piqued my interest, so I figured I'd take a look. Honestly, after about 30 mins, I didn't get what I was looking for exactly. In any case, I'm not sure whether it was just coincidence on with the 7-on-7, Air Raid, and the Spread being used in HS or what, but I really didn't get much of a solid answer as to why the Spread took off like it did in TX. 

I'll be honest, since the article was kinda lengthy, I read some and skimmed on other parts, so you may find something I read over/missed/misinterpreted in the link below (same link as the response above). Obviously I don't know the accuracy of it either, but regardless, it's an interesting read nonetheless:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/articles/arms-race/
 With a stop at North Texas in between, that's right... 

There's nowhere in the country that has better HS resources than Texas... The stadiums are easy examples. Every HS in Arlington and throughout the metroplex is building massive indoor practice/training facilities for fall/summer workouts when the temperatures rise. 

Damn near every large HS in the state considers itself or wants to be a football powerhouse, and they invest as such.
Pretty much. I think the one guy took my comment as a slight on the Southern states and that kids in FL, AL, GA, MS, and LA resourceless; not even close to being true.  I'm a Floridian myself and it's very obvious we're a talent rich state. and the map echoes that. And yes, we have some resources, but TX is just another level in HS on average and what's at their disposal. Texans as a whole, for the most part are all in when it comes to football. Personal opinion, is the Southern boys are a little less refined coming into college, but when they hit the next level, they also hit another gear so to speak because they're gaining access to things they didn't have previously.  

Again, just a personal opinion and I was speaking from the "on the average" point of view. You're always gonna have schools like the IMG Academy in Bradenton, Bishop Gorman in LV, St Thomas Aquinas in Ft Lauderdale, American Heritage in Plantation, FL, Hoover in AL, St John Bosco  etc. If anything, what the aforementioned states have done is more impressive from the standpoint they don't have money just dumped into schools/programs. Any of those listed schools can go in TX and beat their best teams though (and vice versa) and have facilities on par with any of the best programs across the country. 

I've never been to Miami Central, Booker T. Washington, Miramar etc, but I don't think they have any issues going to TX and winning either.

Last edited:
Since it's a slow period and there has been a lot of talk about 30 for 30's recently because of Chico's suicide, what are some CFB related 30 for 30's or HBO/SHO type docs you guys would like to see get made?  I figured I'd make a poll out of it after we got some ideas. 

some of mine

Aaron Hernandez 

Mike Vick

Pat Tillman 

The BCS

Jemele Holloway

FSU under Bowden 

Last edited:
That UF era under Meyer in general.

OSU scandal.
Wasn't this kind of covered in Youngstown Boys?

I feel like a UF doc would probably just be a 2 hour slurp-fest of Tebow and Meyer.  It has a lot of potential tho if done right.  

I kind of have the same concerns for that 95 Nebraska piece that is the works.  But the Lawrence Philips doc dug into the shenanigans during Osborne's run in the 90's more than I thought it would, so I have still have hope. 

Last edited:
Kids definitely still steal from their teammates (looking at you *current FSU Player name redacted* :smh: ) and there have been many a situation of recruits/prospects on campus walking away w/ items owned by current members of the team

Do you guys think the different items on the locker that are patent pending will draw the recruits?

Last edited:
I read that Najee Harris is looking like the best of the young backs at Bama, behind Bo and Damien, and maybe even on level with them as far as all he can do.

Does anyone have any actual practice reports that I can check out as opposed to message board heresay, particularly how well Tua is doing? People are saying he's pushing Jalen as well, and I know Tua is great, but I'm not buying that one bit.

Miami snatching a Mixhigan legacy tonight. They are on fire right now. Kid's dad and uncles all played in Ann Arbor.

Miami snatching a Mixhigan legacy tonight. They are on fire right now. Kid's dad and uncles all played in Ann Arbor.

Mallory admitted that the staff hasnt been contacting him in months... Probably felt they could slow play him... Mustafa Muhammed has already silently stated his intentions to sign with Michigan... Ruckert went pretty silent after seeing Ann Arbor as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom