OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm honestly not too sure. I don't really follow the HS in FL or any state for that matter outside of recruiting, which I'll occasionally take a look at if I'm bored. I joined the Service less than a month after I turned 18 and only return "home (consider Houston home now, even though I live in San Diego)" to see FSU and the Bucs since I retained my season tickets for both teams. But in general, when I was in school, no, you didn't see too many teams "airing it out" so to speak and certainly run heavy. That said, I cannot speak for how the Panhandle or South Florida was paying ball. 

I will say there was one observation/personal opinion since I've lived in 4 hotbeds (FL, AL, TX, CA) for football. Some of the Southern kids (FL, AL, GA) are skilled, but they don't have the resources that say some of the TX schools have, so they're more "raw" /less honed when they make it to the next level.  I think some of those kids in the South take off in college because they have the facilities, coaching, etc they didn't have in HS. It's amazing what some of the Houston area HS's have. I recall flying over SE Houston on a trainer/patrol and see astro turf in a HS stadium in like '02. I'm sure they're places in FL that had it, but I don't recall ever seeing stuff like that. Our stadium was a s**thole. Its claim to fame was that the Waterboy was filmed there lol; Mud Dog home games.

My old HS stadium:

You havent seen some of these hs in bama broski. A high school down here got a field house 20000 seat stadium state of the art weight room. This a High School bruh lol

I'm honestly not too sure. I don't really follow the HS in FL or any state for that matter outside of recruiting, which I'll occasionally take a look at if I'm bored. I joined the Service less than a month after I turned 18 and only return "home (consider Houston home now, even though I live in San Diego)" to see FSU and the Bucs since I retained my season tickets for both teams. But in general, when I was in school, no, you didn't see too many teams "airing it out" so to speak and certainly run heavy. That said, I cannot speak for how the Panhandle or South Florida was paying ball. 

I will say there was one observation/personal opinion since I've lived in 4 hotbeds (FL, AL, TX, CA) for football. Some of the Southern kids (FL, AL, GA) are skilled, but they don't have the resources that say some of the TX schools have, so they're more "raw" /less honed when they make it to the next level.  I think some of those kids in the South take off in college because they have the facilities, coaching, etc they didn't have in HS. It's amazing what some of the Houston area HS's have. I recall flying over SE Houston on a trainer/patrol and see astro turf in a HS stadium in like '02. I'm sure they're places in FL that had it, but I don't recall ever seeing stuff like that. Our stadium was a s**thole. Its claim to fame was that the Waterboy was filmed there lol; Mud Dog home games.

My old HS stadium:
You havent seen some of these hs in bama broski. A high school down here got a field house 20000 seat stadium state of the art weight room. This a High School bruh lol
I lived in Alabama for 8 years ... 

There are always going to be exceptions, I was speaking on average. I'm sure if you came to Texas, you'd be more than surprised. Just like FL has IMG Academy, St Thomas Aquinas etc.

Last edited:
when i was in oklahoma , some ofthe stadiums looked like better than mesa college in san diego..

I lived in Alabama for 8 years ....
Then you should know they have more than enough resources
Frisco HS stadium. Show me something better than that and we'll talk. $260M and they share it with the Cowboys.

"Their old digs" they moved from that was built '05:

And for what it's worth, I think you're missing the point. I'm saying on average, TX dumps more money into football in comparison to other states. On AVERAGE, kids coming from the Southern schools don't have those same resources at their fingertips in HS. It's not a slight against them, in fact, it's quite the contrary.

That's also not to say every school in TX is like that. They have their poor districts/schools as well.

Last edited:

eeh that's also the Cowboy's practice facility/headquarters tho

Allen's stadium and what Katy ISD is getting are better examples. 

http://usatodayhss.com/2017/new-70-million-plus-katy-texas-football-stadium-now-has-a-name
The two most expensive stadiums being built as of '16. Surprise, TX:

https://www.si.com/extra-mustard/high-school-football-stadiums-mckinney-texas

Katy (Houston) $62.5M only to be 1 upped by McKinney $62.8M (North of Dallas) and just up the street from Frisco's shared facilities with the Cowboys. I think I read $60M from the school district and the Cowboys picked up the rest of the $200M tab.

Last edited:
when i was in oklahoma , some ofthe stadiums looked like better than mesa college in san diego..
Probably looked better than Qualcomm, too. That place is a dump. Hands down, saddest stadium I've ever been to. Love their "big screen" ... My TV in the living room is probably bigger. I get to look at that beauty nearly everyday, since I live down the street in Mission Valley. 

Last edited:

[QUOTE url="[URL]http://niketalk.com/content/type/61/id/2408550/[/URL]"]
 NCAA Research‏Verified account @NCAAResearch  5h5 hours ago

States w/ highest % of HS football players recruited by a DI school:

1. Florida

2. Georgia

3. Louisiana

4-8. (DC), MD, TN, SC, NC
View media item 2408550
 Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt  2h2 hours ago

Beginning today, injuries -- non-contact jerseys and injuries seen in front of media -- can't be reported until Kirby Smart is asked.

I swear Mississippi was a litter redder than that chart indicates. Sadly, as much as it pains me being a native Floridian, we put out some crappy QBs relatively speaking considering all the talent coming out of the state.

1 position CA wins hands down IMO is QB. Hard to argue when Brady, Rogers, Elway, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith etc come from there. I guess Pennsylvania would be next in line with Montana and Marino. But anyway ...

That's because the HS ball down there is traditionally run heavy/option based right?  The CA HS scene was one of the first places to really embrace the passing game and spread concepts. 

I don't think it's a coicidence that the talent TX has pumped out at that position has dramatically gone up since the HS scene started embracing the "spread" down there. 
[/quote]

The 7 on 7 era is thriving in Texas. 8 of the top 10 guys in the state is either a WR or a DB.

NCAA Research‏Verified account @NCAAResearch  5h5 hours ago

States w/ highest % of HS football players recruited by a DI school:

1. Florida

2. Georgia

3. Louisiana

4-8. (DC), MD, TN, SC, NC

Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt  2h2 hours ago

Beginning today, injuries -- non-contact jerseys and injuries seen in front of media -- can't be reported until Kirby Smart is asked.

I swear Mississippi was a litter redder than that chart indicates. Sadly, as much as it pains me being a native Floridian, we put out some crappy QBs relatively speaking considering all the talent coming out of the state.

1 position CA wins hands down IMO is QB. Hard to argue when Brady, Rogers, Elway, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith etc come from there. I guess Pennsylvania would be next in line with Montana and Marino. But anyway ...
That's because the HS ball down there is traditionally run heavy/option based right?  The CA HS scene was one of the first places to really embrace the passing game and spread concepts. 

I don't think it's a coicidence that the talent TX has pumped out at that position has dramatically gone up since the HS scene started embracing the "spread" down there. 
The 7 on 7 era is thriving in Texas. 8 of the top 10 guys in the state is either a WR or a DB.
Which is a product of the proliferation of the "spread" right?  

The state wasn't producing as much talent at QB, WR, and DB when the veer and wishbone were popping down there as they do now. 

I think the state has always produced those guys but during the veer & wishbone days a lot of that talent left the state.

Coaches like Mike Leach & Mark Mangino definitely helped innovative the state towards a spread offensive culture and it trickled down thru the rest of the Big 12 conference.

I think the state has always produced those guys but during the veer & wishbone days a lot of that talent left the state.

Coaches like Mike Leach & Mark Mangino definitely helped innovative the state towards a spread offensive culture and it trickled down thru the rest of the Big 12 conference.
Houston Cougs were running the Run 'N' Shoot in the '80s/'90s and those were some pretty wide open offenses and breaking all types of NCAA records with Andre Ware and David Klingler.  Granted, it preceded the Big 12, but the were slingin' the ball around before Leach and Mangino by a good decade. I could be completely off base here, but I vaguely recall the Spread kinda taken off around the Dallasish/Austin area in regard to TXHS football. Think Westlake Austin where Drew Brees and Nick Foles went to and Southlake Carroll. Think Art Briles ran it at Stephenville before he went to U of H, too.

Last edited:
Different system but yeah former UH OC/HC John Jenkins deserves credit along with the Mummeites for changing the states HS and college offensive football culture. 

Drew Brees didn't run the spread in HS.
I mentioned Westlake Austin, where Drew Brees and Nick Foles played as reference. Wasn't suggested that's what they ran it in HS. Sorry if you got that impression, I wasn't trying to insinuate. I think Todd Dodge went from Soutlhake to Westlake

Last edited:

Houston Cougs were running the Run 'N' Shoot in the '80s/'90s and those were some pretty wide open offenses and breaking all types of NCAA records with Andre Ware and David Klingler.  Granted, it preceded the Big 12, but the were slingin' the ball around before Leach and Mangino by a good decade. I could be completely off base here, but I vaguely recall the Spread kinda taken off around the Dallasish/Austin area in regard to TXHS football. Think Westlake Austin where Drew Brees and Nick Foles went to and Southlake Carroll. Think Art Briles ran it at Stephenville before he went to U of H, too.

UH was running the R&S offense but it was still in an era where they majority of the teams were running wishbone or I formations.

After Mangino & Leach's OU Air Raid bombed the B12 in 2000 within 5 years damn near every team in the conference was running some type of spread.

Now somebody can give Briles or Ledbetter or any other HS coach the credit for whatever spread they ran during their heyday but to me imo Mangino & Leach changed they whole dynamic of this state and that impact is still being felt for almost 20 years now.

His attorney was talking big like he was going to get the Odin Lloyd conviction overturned too... But Baez loves to hear himself talk more than anything, so who knows

Back
Top Bottom