OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I'm here for the pettiness

giphy.gif

laugh.gif

Trey Smith and Tony Gray.  Gray stole Smith's headphones during UAA week evidently. 
 The Ducks' record this fall under new coach Willie Taggart is anyone's guess. Yet their uniforms they'll be wearing, while still considered top secret by Oregon and Nike and described only in general terms, are said to be veering into more traditional territory after the varying hues worn last season drew praise, but also criticism.
"We're going to try to stick to more traditional colors this year," Kenny Farr, UO's football equipment administrator, said last week after a spring football practice. "Trying to kind of simplify a few things but still keep it modern and keep it looking really good."
http://www.oregonlive.com/ducks/index.ssf/2017/04/oregon_ducks_football_uniforms.html#incart_2box

Last edited:
 NCAA Research‏Verified account @NCAAResearch  5h5 hours ago
 States w/ highest % of HS football players recruited by a DI school:
1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Louisiana
4-8. (DC), MD, TN, SC, NC
 Jason Butt‏Verified account @JasonHButt  2h2 hours ago
 Beginning today, injuries -- non-contact jerseys and injuries seen in front of media -- can't be reported until Kirby Smart is asked.

Last edited:

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Louisiana
 Beginning today, injuries -- non-contact jerseys and injuries seen in front of media -- can't be reported until Kirby Smart is asked.
I swear Mississippi was a litter redder than that chart indicates. Sadly, as much as it pains me being a native Floridian, we put out some crappy QBs relatively speaking considering all the talent coming out of the state.

1 position CA wins hands down IMO is QB. Hard to argue when Brady, Rogers, Elway, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith etc come from there. I guess Pennsylvania would be next in line with Montana and Marino. But anyway ...

Joe Namath is so overrated. I'm a Jets fan so it's ok to say that.

Last edited:
PA's got Namath and Kelly too.
Forgot about those two. But I was just dropping a few names off the top of my head. Point is FL QBs aren't the best lol. May have some great CFB players, but can't recall any super great ones at the next level.

Not sure it we suck that bad or some are eluding my memory, I can only think of a few "great (btw, using that term VERY loosely) " QBs on the college level are Tebow, Wuerfell, and Walsh, the rest were from out of state:

Some were good, some were meh, but ... anyway, off the top of my head, forgive me UF/UM fans if I jacked up your QBs lol:

FSU:
Joe Namath is so overrated. I'm a Jets fan so it's ok to say that.

Last edited:
Namath threw 50 more picks in the pros than he did TDs. Super trash.

But this is a college football thread, so I'll allow it.

Last edited:
Ohio would have to be the best for producing coaches I guess

And Illinois where I live now doesn't produce sh*t but corn and a few good basketball players :lol:

Ohio would have to be the best for producing coaches I guess

And Illinois where I live now doesn't produce sh*t but corn and a few good basketball players
laugh.gif
West Virginia has had some great ones, too. But yes, Ohio has a bunch of them as well.  I'd have to look up how many National Championshps Ohio coaches have one, but ... I believe WV has had 16 between Saban (5), Jimbo (1), Jim McKay (4) and Fielding Yost (6).

Who does Ohio have?:

Meyer (3)

Gruden (SB John) bros

Stoops (Bob 1 NC) bros

Don Shula (2 I think?)

Jim Tressell (1 plus YSU; however many he got there)

Bo Schembechler (spelling?) (Bo was a goose egg, right?)

Chuck Knoll (4?? SBs)

Woody Hayes (no clue on the Nattys)

Last edited:
Wow I didn't even realize WV had all of those. Here's a few Ohio ones off the top of my head (not all title winning coaches of course)

Dom Capers
Earle Bruce
Urban Meyer
Les Miles
Jim Tressel
Bob Stoops
Jon Gruden
Don Shula
Chuck Noll
Bo Schembechler.
Paul Brown
Jon Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh ( :smh: )
Mike Stoops

I know Saban and a few others were associated with tOSU as assistants and whatnot many years ago

The Harbaugh's were born in Ohio, but grew up in AA.  Claiming them is like NY'ers who claim Jordan. 

Saban was fired by Earl Bruce at OSU 
laugh.gif

Ara Parseghian and Lou Holtz are from Ohio as well. 

Wow I didn't even realize WV had all of those. Here's a few Ohio ones off the top of my head (not all title winning coaches of course)

Dom Capers
Earle Bruce
Urban Meyer
Les Miles
Jim Tressel
Bob Stoops
Jon Gruden
Don Shula
Chuck Noll
Bo Schembechler.
Paul Brown
Jon Harbaugh
Jim Harbaugh (
mean.gif
)
Mike Stoops

I know Saban and a few others were associated with tOSU as assistants and whatnot many years ago
Yep. I recall reading it in an article called the coaching cradle or something to that effect. There's another like "coaching triangle" that ties in a lot of the Ohio and WV coaches in that 100 mile or so radius as well. In a round about way, you could add some of the Bowden kids since they went to WVU and spent some of their childhood there when Bobby was coaching there before he departed to return back to FSU when they were the laughing stock of FL. If you ever get bored, WIki (not that they're always right) some of your favorite coaches.  Pretty crazy the coaching trees and who's spawned from it. Neat stuff, like how Saban never answered Urban Meyer when he was at Toledo. I believe Saban and Belichick coached in Cleveland together.  As an FSU fan, appreciate some of our own history. Under Bill Peterson (his coaching tree is at the very bottom, because most people don't care.) I was amazed when I read Bill Parcells was a LB coach there, Joe Gibbs OL coach, Mack Brown was a WR coach/student I believe and got one of his degrees at FSU, and of course, Bobby Bowden.  It was between 60/'70s (Peterson was there twice) though .

If you care to see Belichick's, Saban's, Meyer's, and Peterson's coaching tree:
Bill Belichick  has worked under five head coaches:
Seven of Belichick's assistant coaches have become NFL head coaches:
Seven assistant coaches have become NCAA Division I  head coaches:
Nick Saban:

Over the years, many former assistant coaches under Saban have gone on to take head coaching positions in both the NFL and at FBS schools. Current Dallas Cowboys  head coach Jason Garrett  was quarterbacks coach for the Miami Dolphins  while Saban was head coach.[sup][49][/sup]  Most notable from Saban's LSU tenure are Jimbo FisherWill MuschampMike HaywoodDerek Dooley, and Miami Dolphins  head coach Adam Gase  was a graduate assistant and recruiting assistant at LSU under Saban from 2000-2002. Bobby Williams, current assistant coach at Alabama took over as head coach at Michigan State University  after Saban left for LSU. Another assistant from his time at Michigan State University, Mark Dantonio, is currently Michigan State's head coach. Jim McElwain, Saban's offensive coordinator at Alabama from 2008 through 2011, served as the football coach at Colorado State University  from 2012 to 2014, and is now the head coach at the University of FloridaJeremy Pruitt, a defensive assistant and recruiting coordinator under Saban at Alabama from 2009 to 2012 and the defensive coordinator again under Saban at Alabama starting in 2016, was named the defensive coordinator for Florida State University on December 20, 2012 and on January 14, 2014 was named the defensive coordinator for the Georgia Bulldogs  at the University of Georgia. Former Alabama defensive coordinator Kirby Smart  took the head coaching position at the University of Georgia replacing Mark Richt  at the beginning of the 2016 season.[sup][50][/sup][sup][51][/sup]  While coaching in Toledo, Saban turned down an application from future NCAA multiple national championship head coach Urban Meyer, who was looking for any coaching job on Saban's staff.[sup][52][/sup]

Saban is from the Bill Belichick coaching tree, having worked as his defensive coordinator during Belichick's tenure as head coach of the Cleveland

Meyer:

Coached under:
Assistants who went on to serve as NCAA Division I FBS  or NFL  head coaches:
Bill Peterson:

Last edited:

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Louisiana
I swear Mississippi was a litter redder than that chart indicates. Sadly, as much as it pains me being a native Floridian, we put out some crappy QBs relatively speaking considering all the talent coming out of the state.

1 position CA wins hands down IMO is QB. Hard to argue when Brady, Rogers, Elway, Carson Palmer, Alex Smith etc come from there. I guess Pennsylvania would be next in line with Montana and Marino. But anyway ...
That's because the HS ball down there is traditionally run heavy/option based right?  The CA HS scene was one of the first places to really embrace the passing game and spread concepts. 

I don't think it's a coicidence that the talent TX has pumped out at that position has dramatically gone up since the HS scene started embracing the "spread" down there. 

1. Florida
2. Georgia
3. Louisiana

That's because the HS ball down there is traditionally run heavy/option based right?  The CA HS scene was one of the first places to really embrace the passing game and spread concepts. 

I don't think it's a coicidence that the talent TX has pumped out at that position has dramatically gone up since the HS scene started embracing the "spread" down there. 
I'm honestly not too sure. I don't really follow the HS in FL or any state for that matter outside of recruiting, which I'll occasionally take a look at if I'm bored. I joined the Service less than a month after I turned 18 and only return "home (consider Houston home now, even though I live in San Diego)" to see FSU and the Bucs since I retained my season tickets for both teams. But in general, when I was in school, no, you didn't see too many teams "airing it out" so to speak and certainly run heavy. That said, I cannot speak for how the Panhandle or South Florida was paying ball. 

I will say there was one observation/personal opinion since I've lived in 4 hotbeds (FL, AL, TX, CA) for football. Some of the Southern kids (FL, AL, GA) are skilled, but they don't have the resources that say some of the TX schools have, so they're more "raw" /less honed when they make it to the next level.  I think some of those kids in the South take off in college because they have the facilities, coaching, etc they didn't have in HS. It's amazing what some of the Houston area HS's have. I recall flying over SE Houston on a trainer/patrol and see astro turf in a HS stadium in like '02. I'm sure they're places in FL that had it, but I don't recall ever seeing stuff like that. Our stadium was a s**thole. Its claim to fame was that the Waterboy was filmed there lol; Mud Dog home games.

My old HS stadium:

Back
Top Bottom