OFFICIAL 2017 COLLEGE FOOTBALL OFFSEASON THREAD - Spring Game schedule on first page

Who is going to win the Pac 12 this season?

• USC

Votes: 13 38.2%
  • Stanford

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Washington

Votes: 9 26.5%
  • Oregon

Votes: 4 11.8%
  • UCLA

Votes: 2 5.9%
  • Wazzu

• Utah

Votes: 1 2.9%
  • Colorado

• Oregon St

• Cal

• Arizona St

• Arizona

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Hey Corey Raymond.....plenty of nice homes & private school for your kids in Tallahassee. And no state income tax.

Just saying.

Aranda too.

Last edited:
LSU's needs a QB badly, and Briles knows how to coach them up
Briles would probably bring Stidham with him.  Briles, Stidham, and the rest of that roster would be ready to compete immediately for a NC next season. 
So realistically how many schools will have an opening come season end?

USC
Baylor
LSU
Auburn - maybe
Houston - likely

Now for potential candidates...

Lane Kiffin
Brent Venibles
Art Briles
Les Miles
Tom Herman
UK, Purdue

BC, and PSU could be added into the maybe category. 

PJ Fleck should be added to potential candidates.  WMU gonna run the table in the regular season this year. 
Interested to see what happens to Dave Aranda
Both him and Herman were teammates at Cal-Lutheran FWIW. 

So Mike Tirico left MNF for ND games on NBC and being a host of Sunday Night Football?

Pretty sure he's the replacement for Costas and/or Michaels once they retire. He would be doing some Thursdays night games this year but the NFL said no because he's not the no.1 pbp guy yet for NBC.

Notre Dame fans and boosters want Brian Kelly out at ND.

Add him to your list. Baylor isn't firing Grobe if they win 9-10.

I didn't realize until this morning that Les was actually fired. I thought some of the speculation in this thread was based on if he got fired at the end of the season. Unfortunately for Les he coached in the SEC, if he had been in the B1G his record would have earned him a lifetime contract.

I know it’s been a whirlwind of a Sunday for everyone, so I will do my best to break it down for you.

Let’s recap from the beginning.

After the loss last night, Les Miles was “99-percent” done as LSU’s head coach, a source told me. I had heard it before, but this time it seemed very real. The administration and powers that be slept on it, and they woke up this morning all in agreement that they had to part way with Les Miles.

The coaches always meet on Sundays to go over film. They didn’t do that completely today. Instead, members of the administration were there. They let Miles know he was being let go. Shortly thereafter, Cam Cameron was informed that he was also being let go. I’m told it was obviously a very emotional scene for everyone involved.

They then did some shuffling. Ed Orgeron was asked by Joe Alleva if he would be the interim head coach and he said yes. He’s been in this spot before with Southern Cal and he jumped at the chance to do so again with LSU. And when I say he jumped at it, he probably literally jumped out of his chair (more on that below).

Orgeron dialed up longtime NFL assistant Pete Jenkins, one of his best friends and someone who really bleeds purple-and-gold and knows the entire defensive line group. Orgeron asked him to take his spot as the defensive line coach, and he has accepted that new role. I am told that when they said Pete Jenkins was the new DL coach in a team meeting, the defensive line erupted. All of them have worked with Pete and absolutely love him. If O wasn’t coaching them, they wanted Pete.

They also named tight ends coach Steve Ensminger as the interim offensive coordinator to replace Cameron. Ensminger accepted the position and will now call plays on offense. Ensminger is someone who had been vocal behind closed doors about how the offense was not what they needed, so I think Orgeron saw moving him up as the best move. He’s been an OC four times before (McNeese, La Tech, Clemson and Texas A&M). He also has views of how this offense can be different and be much more efficient. Who knows how much different stuff you can really add at this point into a season, but I certainly don’t think the calls will be the same - especially not when it’s crunch time.

I am told Austin Thomas has kept his role and will now be given even more responsibility. He’s got the title of “General Manager” now. He’s on both recruiting and the team. It’s essentially LSU creating a position that an NFL team would have. Austin has always had the goal of being an NFL GM. Now he’s a GM at the college school he loves. That’s huge for recruiting and the future of the program. Sharon Lewis (who ran track at LSU and has been here 16 years) will continue to oversee recruiting and alumni affairs. She’s a massive key to recruiting given how well she relates to the families of all the kids LSU recruits. When they are on visits, she’s the one with them at all times. So keeping Austin and Sharon in their spots is big.

I was also told that Bradley Dale Peveto has been moved to solely special teams coach and one graduate assistant Dennis “Meatball” Johnson will take over coaching the outside linebackers. I think it's smart to keep Peveto on. He's got tons of connections to keep this class together and recruits East Texas and North Louisiana really well. Now he can focus on special teams which has typically been a strong suit for LSU. As for Dennis Johnson, been under Orgeron as the assistant defensive line coach, and now he’s got his first major college gig. I already knew from being around the team that he is one of their favorite coaches, and I’m told when they announced his promotion to the team in a meeting, the entire place erupted and chanted his name.

As for that team meeting, they met at 5 p.m. So that was a few hours after news broke that Les had been let go. I am told it was really emotional in that room. Les told them how much he loved the team and LSU and that this move was for the best. He said their futures would be better with the change, and that’s a stand up from him. He loved the guys until the end, and he told them to win out and that he would be watching every game. Then Orgeron addressed the team.

Let me say this. There will be tons and tons and tons of chatter over the next few months about who LSU’s next coach will be. And right now all we will hear is speculation. But it’s worth noting this: Ed Orgeron has landed his dream job, and he’s got at least eight games to do things his way.

He addressed the team and got everyone involved. He brought a rope and had everyone, the players, the assistants, the administration, everyone …. pull on the rope. They battled each other and then he pointed out that they in different directions against each other. Then he had them pull the rope all together in one direction, and he said that’s “LSU”. His message to everyone in the room was that LSU is the best school in the country, and they are all going to be in this together.

Sounds good, but what about recruiting?

With Orgeron as head coach, Dameyune Craig is the recruiting coordinator, and I can tell you he’s more than thrilled. And tonight (they just wrapped up actually) the entire staff sat down and called every commitment and their top targets. Orgeron talked to every single one of them. Then they passed the phone around to all the coaches. That’s why you saw guys like Myles Brennan, Neil Farrell, Kary Vincent and down the line all tweet out tonight that they were solid. Orgeron and the staff immediately sprung into action.

It was a great run with Miles. 12 years that we all had ups and downs and road the roller coaster that is college football in the SEC. But I can tell you this about the future, at least the immediate future. Multiple people reached out to me tonight after the dust settled and said there’s an energy up there that can be cut with a knife. Orgeron might only have eight games to be the head coach, but he’s taken the opportunity and run with it. Me personally, I can’t wait to see what the next few months brings. It’s going to be an exciting time to follow the Tigers, win or lose.

people really don't think Coach O has a chance at being the next HC at LSU, right? I love him, but he's not head coach material, especially at a program like LSU. The players will play better, but that kind go motivation/excitement will only last for so long.

Nico tweeted back back and said he didn't realize he did that.
That's very easy "tell" to identify on film.  If that's true, the fact that that hasn't been identified and corrected by someone on your staff is a major problem. 

Last edited:
people really don't think Coach O has a chance at being the next HC at LSU, right? I love him, but he's not head coach material, especially at a program like LSU. The players will play better, but that kind go motivation/excitement will only last for so long.

LSU will have a big win over Bama or another team they probably shouldn't beat, but then drop a game to a team they should and finish 8-4 but win the bowl game. All the players will push really hard to keep Coach O and then be upset when the admin makes an outside hire (smartly so). Orgeron will be upset that he feels like he didn't really get fair consideration for the head job, and move on somewhere else or begrudgingly stick around.

Copy+paste from all his previous coaching stops :lol:

LSU will have a big win over Bama or another team they probably shouldn't beat, but then drop a game to a team they should and finish 8-4 but win the bowl game. All the players will push really hard to keep Coach O and then be upset when the admin makes an outside hire (smartly so). Orgeron will be upset that he feels like he didn't really get fair consideration for the head job, and move on somewhere else or begrudgingly stick around.

Copy+paste from all his previous coaching stops :lol:

Yep, I've seen this movie all too well. Hate to see Coach O go through more heartbreak when it comes to his coaching career.

but some people are better off in a smaller role. Not everyone can be THE guy.

It'd be naïve to think LSU won't very seriously consider keeping Orgeron. I'm not saying they should, but if he goes 8-1, with a bowl win, there are going to be a lot of people who will want to. Especially if the offense suddenly starts performing.

It's gonna be awful for him if both his dream jobs do that to him though.

Last edited:
Also why is everyone so sure that Tom Herman wants to go to LSU...? (I'd ask the same question to people who think he'd go to USC.)

LSU isn't a historically elite football program. They had the best college football coach ever running them for 4 years, and a historically good coach in Les Miles the 12 years after that.

Outside of that what makes LSU such a great job? Louisiana recruits? You don't have to go to LSU for that. An administration that fires you when you won a national championship, played in another, and have a 77% winning percentage, have never won less than 8 games and won 9 games the previous year? Having to play in the SEC and against said greatest head coach of all time at least once a year, and if you're lucky enough to make the national championship game, then twice a year?

I think people are mistaking two great coaches in a short span of time for "great job." I'd argue those great coaches made it a great job while they were there.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom